Baking Soda

KAT25

Ladies let me tell you I washed my hair today and I used the Pantene Breakage Defense Line and I did a wash with Baking Soda and when before and after shampooing and I did the hair mask let sit in head about 1 hour and when I washed my hair out and dryed it I flat iron it and I turned my head and I had the swing!!!!! Ladies I was so happy I was like what I got swing............my hair has never felt so good and I am going to say it was the baking soda because I use Pantene and never got the swing and I am not sure what baking soda is suppose to do but it had my hair swinging. I saw it in mention in the thread about the espom salt.

How often can I use the baking soda? Does it cause and drying or anything I need to watch out for?

Tamrin

unapologetic
It Clarifies. I use bakin soda now almost exclusively. I Have even introduced my friends and family to it. It removes the dirt without getting rid of the oils your hair needs unlike shampoo. Now I have a lot of poos that are not being used.

MissLawyerLady

This should probably go in the skincare thread, but a little baking soda mixed with your regular facial cleanser makes an excellent, gentle exfoliator. I just put my cleanser in my palm and shake out about a teaspoon or two of baking soda, lather, and rinse. Very soft skin.

Tamrin

unapologetic
I got it from Redhotlala's fotki her har is FAAAABBBH. I do it differently, I take about 5 table spoons of baking soda and mix in in 1 gallon of water, poor it in my hair, let it sit for 3 minutes, if you open your eyes, you will see the gunk come out of your hair and afterwards after you DC and set, you will have that "SWANG". It does not destroy the natural oils in your hair.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
This should probably go in the skincare thread, but a little baking soda mixed with your regular facial cleanser makes an excellent, gentle exfoliator. I just put my cleanser in my palm and shake out about a teaspoon or two of baking soda, lather, and rinse. Very soft skin.
Baking soda is also wonderful mixed with olive oil for a facial cleanser. I make a paste and apply to my face with gentle scrubbing motions. (1 tablespoon baking soda and 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil (evoo).

Rinse with warm water. Use a warm face cloth to wipe off remaining paste. Splash with cool water. Face is so soft. I love it. Something so 'basic' for our hair care and skin care. Basic and priced just right. :yep:

MissLawyerLady

is it ok to use on acne-prone skin?

I have mild outbreaks and I've used it fine. I would caution that with moderate to severe acne you shouldn't scrub vigourously if you use it as an exfoliant. I have masked with it too (make a paste, apply to face for 10 min. and rinse) and my skin came out soft and it dried up a lot of surface oil.

If you have really severe postule-type acne I would probably avoid scrub and maybe do a small skin test on one area first before using as a mask.

It is sodium so it may burn a little on your skin if you have open acne sores.

Last edited:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I have mild outbreaks and I've used it fine. I would caution that with moderate to severe acne you shouldn't scrub vigourously if you use it as an exfoliant. I have masked with it too (make a paste, apply to face for 10 min. and rinse) and my skin came out soft and it dried up a lot of surface oil.

If you have really severe postule-type acne I would probably avoid scrub and maybe do a small skin test on one area first before using as a mask.

I agree with this. :yep:

scarcity21

thanx JD ill do a patch test 1st.