Bald to Classic in 6.5 years -- "CLEAR" advice

LittleLuxe

Charla

Out of curiosity what do they protect their ends with? Or do you mean simply protective styling? I've always been curious what 'clear people' ( no seriously when did we start calling them that?) use to moisturize daily, if they do, since most places I've seen hair products rarely have daily stuff unless it's a leave-in and most other things seem way too heavy for them.

Ladybelle

@Ladybelle
Actually, the people I've seen who have gained the most retention in the shortest amount of time have done NONE of this. They wash & DC maybe 1x a week or even every 2-3 weeks, moisturize when needed, PS, trim only when necessary, and grow. I'm beginning to see that that's really all that's needed. Sometimes the extra just really isn't necessary

That's good to know, I prefer a simple regimen anyway and now that you say that, I noticed that my hair grows the most when I leave it alone, lol!

Those are all things they do on the LHC too. In fact that is where I learned about cowashing, the dangers of bad brushes and combs, clarifing, henna (for hair), and numerous other hair stuff.

Oh, okay. I didn't know that, the article didn't really illustrate her doing all of that to grow her hair.

@Ladybelle @WyrdWay
So true. If you've never browsed LHC, you'd be surprised. That site is almost identical to this one except they're predominately in the range of hair types 1-3, mostly 1-2. But you'll see ladies starting from bald or pixie and joining challenges to get to SL. You'll all the length challenges, product complaints, hair anniversaries, best DC and seamless combs, struggles trying to figure out why their hair is so dry or oily or breaking etc. And they DO protect their ends! We ALL go through it!

The price we (women) pay for beauty, that's really interesting. And all this time I'm thinking we had it the hardest.

Last edited:

Charla

Charla

Out of curiosity what do they protect their ends with? Or do you mean simply protective styling? I've always been curious what 'clear people' ( no seriously when did we start calling them that?) use to moisturize daily, if they do, since most places I've seen hair products rarely have daily stuff unless it's a leave-in and most other things seem way too heavy for them.

LittleLuxe

They coat their ends in oils! Surprise, surprise! Coconut and Castor oil seem to be mentioned often. And they do PS in all the ways we do. I think they use aloe vera gel on their ends alot too. And they seem to mainly get their moisture from their deep conditioning and cowashing (which they call CO).

(As far as the clear reference :lachen: I actually picked that up here! I never asked, but my take on it is if "we're" considered "colored" than they must be "clear"! Just my guess!)

Last edited:

LittleLuxe

...it's funny about the clear thing because I remember hearing a joke by a female black comedian years ago that said, "We're all colored! All of us! If ever run up to someone and they're clear...RUN! They're an alien!!"

Haha, that's really cool, learn something new everyday. So no oils on the roots, but def. On the tips. Interesting...

MzSwift

That's a little disappointing, I'm starting again from a TWA. But, it helps to know the truth. DANG! :sad:

Try not to be too disappointed. She's talking about straight hair. Don't forget, with natural hair, you should be able to do a puff waaay before you'll be able to do a ponytail. :yep:

Kinkay hair rocks!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Ladybelle

Try not to be too disappointed. She's talking about straight hair. Don't forget, with natural hair, you should be able to do a puff waaay before you'll be able to do a ponytail. :yep:

Kinkay hair rocks!:thumbsup:
Thanks for seeing the silver lining, I appreciate it!! And yep, kinky hair rocks!!! :)

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

Your Cheeziness

Her hair is blunt cut now so I'm sure she trimmed along the way when growing out those layers. She just didn't mention it.

I think that's an accomplishment and kudos to her. If I had hair that long, I'd be rocking the high buns that is in style now. Protective and stylish. POW!

naturalgyrl5199

This is a great article that will definitely apply to all of us here on LHCF.

Sometimes (okay MOST times), less is more.

I also like how real she was about the situation. Many of us need to a add a heafty dose of REALITY and PATIENCE to our regimens. Sometimes we look at others and wonder when our hair is gonna look like _______. When really the focus should be on taking care and babying the hair we have TODAY. This was definitely on point. Especially for us in a race to classic. Setbacks are reality, and are OKAY.

cch24

I thought this was really good advice! Just because you haven't experienced a setback doesn't mean your hair journey is less impressive than others.

DrC

Where you bald when you started? Most people aren't.... I had a bald fade when I cut all my hair off....

gforceroy
actually, I have gone bald twice before, (to go natural) made shoulder length in a year both times, maybe a little more.
The third time, I only transitioned. SL is easy for me to reach. Now APL and MBL?

I have to :brucelee: to get there :rofl:

Last edited:

gforceroy

@gforceroy
actually, I have gone bald twice before, (to go natural) made shoulder length in a year both times, maybe a little more.
The third time, I only transitioned. SL is easy for me to reach. Now APL and MBL?

I have to :brucelee: to get there :rofl:

You will be there in no time then! :grin:
.... it will take me..... forever to get APL....or at least that's what it feels like.