Balding/thinning update - pic

Blu217

I want to say thanks to everyone here who's been so supportive of me and my issues with thinning and hair loss, and my recent diagnosis of scarring alopecia.

Tonite a girlfriend did my relaxer (came out more like a texlax, but it was free; hey) and after stretching for about three months (I used to be adamantly against stretching, but I've gotten the hang of it) I was able to take a good look at what's up there. I've attached a pic.

People think my finished hair is beautiful, because I can comb over this and it hides easily. No one knows unless I show them and they tell me it's "not that bad" when I do. Even I was shocked by what I saw tonite; it has felt thin when I run my hands thru, but I didn't expect to see plugs of hair clinging to bare skin; reminds me of babydoll hair stuffed into holes in those plastic scalps.

It's been a rough journey, and I can say only that after trying all the great potions and suggestions I've found here, the thinning is progressing. I plan to have a workup done, but to be honest, it looks like the pictures of SA I see when I look up the condition. Mostly I try to not think about it and I'm grateful I can cover it easily. But I thought I was making some progress; people told me they were seeing growth. It's discouraging. Part of me wants to rejoice because my hair now is mid-back when wet and straight and I'm reaching all my length goals so easily, but I'm balding like a man at the crown with no end in sight despite everything I try, and that's sorta heartbreaking. I'm considering replacement surgery. And I guess I'll just keep enjoying my length and be grateful at least I can still hide it... for now. :ohwell:

Anyhoo, here's my scalp. A lot different from the rollerset pic below it:

Mom23

I'm sorry you are going through this. :( Hopefully after some tests you will find out the answers you are looking for. Good Luck with everything.

sherann

I am sorry to hear about your thinning problem. Have you considered not relaxing the affected area at all (whilst relaxing the other areas)?

tmichelle

My mom's going through this. She had several issues going on with her hair, but the worst thing she kept doing to her hair was continuing with the chemicals. She continued to relax it and color it. Her scalp had had enough. My grandfather (mother's father) is completely bald on top as was his forefathers, so he was bound to follow but what sped it up, I just found out this Christmas was when he got a perm. It was the fifties (I think) and he started processing his hair. After one of them his scalp got itchy and flaky and then all his hair fell out at once and never came back. When I learned this it seemed to fit so well. Recently I learned my good friend's father who is white went bald when he was 17 all at once after a bad sunburn.

Years ago when this started happening to my mother I actually begged my mother to stop perming her hair but I think she was scared to stop because she knew no other way. I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that I have continually been praying for a miracle with my mother's hair.

The good news about your hair is that since it is so recent your follicles are probably still alive which can still grow back.

Also check out www.nappturality.com Some probably put them in the militant catagory :) but desperate times call for desperate measures.

I truly wish you the best! I'm hoping in 6 months you'll post updated pictures with your whole head covered in thick lucious hair!

LynnieB

Blu217 said:
I want to say thanks to everyone here who's been so supportive of me and my issues with thinning and hair loss, and my recent diagnosis of scarring alopecia.

Tonite a girlfriend did my relaxer (came out more like a texlax, but it was free; hey) and after stretching for about three months (I used to be adamantly against stretching, but I've gotten the hang of it) I was able to take a good look at what's up there. I've attached a pic.

People think my finished hair is beautiful, because I can comb over this and it hides easily. No one knows unless I show them and they tell me it's "not that bad" when I do. Even I was shocked by what I saw tonite; it has felt thin when I run my hands thru, but I didn't expect to see plugs of hair clinging to bare skin; reminds me of babydoll hair stuffed into holes in those plastic scalps.

It's been a rough journey, and I can say only that after trying all the great potions and suggestions I've found here, the thinning is progressing. I plan to have a workup done, but to be honest, it looks like the pictures of SA I see when I look up the condition. Mostly I try to not think about it and I'm grateful I can cover it easily. But I thought I was making some progress; people told me they were seeing growth. It's discouraging. Part of me wants to rejoice because my hair now is mid-back when wet and straight and I'm reaching all my length goals so easily, but I'm balding like a man at the crown with no end in sight despite everything I try, and that's sorta heartbreaking. I'm considering replacement surgery. And I guess I'll just keep enjoying my length and be grateful at least I can still hide it... for now. :ohwell:

Anyhoo, here's my scalp. A lot different from the rollerset pic below it:

blu,

{{hugs}}

there is an organization that may be helpful to you:

http://www.carfintl.org/faq.html

snugglez41685

I hope you get through it. My mother's hair has had the same problem too. Except i think it was do to some drugs she had to take to see if her thyroid was cancerous. After that she went pretty much to cornrows and stopped relaxing as much. And It started to slowly fill in. I think the other ladies are right about not relaxing that area of your hair. Good luck.:)

zailless

I was just browsing the net looking for hairloss solutions. I am also dealing with alopecia. I found this tea, rooibos tea that can stop hairloss. it increases the rate of your growth too but in the clinical trial, you can see the results.
http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/en-US/FocusOnHealth/Fall2004/Thinning+Hair.htm

I am currently taking biotin in high doses along with other vitamins every day. My hair looked just like yours. The parting had big spaces in between. Now in all those spaces I am seeing fuzz hair about half inch in length.

Topically, I focus on blood circulation, so i use cayenne and dr miracles.

You can beat the hairloss. At work every day I take a bcomplex with hair fitness and biotin. other times I am religious with the omegas, vit c, msm and a multi. I also did a detox to help relax my body. I am focussed on keeping myself happy and unstressed. You will get through this. I have been fighting it since october and i am just seeing some results now after 2 setbacks. so hang in there.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Have you tried Saw Palmetto supplements? I've been taking that in addition to the MTG and it has helped tremendously. It has DHT blocking properties, I'm not sure how to explain it but it has something to do with the small amounts of testosterone(sp?) that women have in their bodies that attacks the hair follicles like it does in men.

In GROGANICS hair loss vitamin supplements Saw Palmetto is the largest dose. After looking at the ingredients I came to the conclusion that I take most of those supplements daily anyway so I added Saw Palmetto to my everyday vitamins that I take.

Even if your thinning/balding doesn't get any better I can pretty much guarantee it won't get worse. **disclaimer** Atleast that's been MY experience.

Any kind of hairloss is tramatic to say the least. I'm sorry that you are experiencing that. {{{HUGS}}}

BrickbyBrick

Hugs blu. You're a beautiful person inside and out. I say this because while I feel your disappointment in your post, I can also read that wonderful maturity, practical wisdon and the positive outlook with which you look at your situation. This only adds volumes to the beautiful lady I see in your pic:kiss:

growinglong777

I am sorry this is happening to you.. You are such a beautiful woman.. I will be praying that God will restore your hair to you by whatever means necessary.

crlsweetie912

Blu:
I will keep you in my prayers that your scalp won't get worse. The ladies have given some excellent advice! Please keep us updated as we will be rallying behind you all the way!

InnerSoul

I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you at this time.
But know you are still beautiful...I have a friend at church who is going through chemo. and she has no hair. She wears her hats and has the prettiest smile on her face. I know we tend to focus so much on hair and I myself want desperately to get thick, beautiful long hair too.. but then sometimes life throws us ugly curveballs so that we all can keep our lives in prospective.:p ;) :)

Keep your head up... your hair still looks gorgeous and my heart goes out to you.

:) **sending u a cyber hug***:)

BrownSkin2

Hi Blu, I am so sorry you are going thru this. I agree with the other ladies on not perming for a while and see if that helps your hair fill in. I hope things improve soon.

e$h

(((HUGS))) So sorry that you're going thru this. I will keep you in my prayers and pray that your condition doesn't worsen.

P

patient1

I don't know why but my eyes are welling up. It doesn't have an impact on me when a man is going through this, but in a woman I have a whole other double standard.

I'm blown away by the way you handle it Blu. You come across as so brave in all of this and it just overwhelms me. I'm thankful that you are blessed with the length around the area and I truly, truly believe that there is a solution out there tailor made for you!

Sending lots of positive healing energy your way Lady Blu!

p1

preciousjewel76

crlsweetie912 said:
Blu:
I will keep you in my prayers that your scalp won't get worse. The ladies have given some excellent advice! Please keep us updated as we will be rallying behind you all the way!

I couldn't have said it any better. My thoughts and prayers go out to you. You can overcome this!:)

Keen

Wow, I'm sorry this is happening to you. My only advice is for you to stop relaxing while you are trying to grow it back.

Candiss

I am so sorry to see and hear how much this is affecting you. I was also diagnosed with scarring alopecia. I am natural right now but I think I am going to relax again. But I am not going to relax the crown area. Also, I have tried different things that seem to finally be working. I am taking supplements: biotin, b-complex, flaxseed and multi. I'm using the ors temple balm and massaging my scalp throughout the day. I think all these things help but it's definitely a waiting game. Of all these, I think the scalp massaging is the most important thing. You have to make a physical effort to get the blood to the crown. For some reason, it seems like the crown is the most sensitive area for many of us. Also, sometimes my crown area feels tender and I think this is when it's the most vulnerable. But I rarely get that feeling anymore and when I do I start massaging right away. You know, I have a dent in my crown area/ No it's not like I'm deformed or anything:grin: it's just that when I put my fingers on the crown and go back an inch i feel a slight depression. I've always had it there, interesting to me. And that is the most sensitive part of my head. Also, I know I said i am going to relax and I know you do to but I just don't know if it's safe for us. I'm willing to take the cahnce one more time, but if I feel that my condition is worsening, i will stop perming forever. I do know that one of the causes of this condition may be inflammation of the follicle due to chemicals, heat, hair products, etc. So that is why you should think about stopping the perm or at least think about not perming the crown. Maybe you can flat iron it. I flat ironed my hair recently and it was a much more pleasant experience than when I was a kid. The serums and conditioners and the ion irons seems to be able to straighten without burning grease into the scalp. Anyway, I'm just giving suggestions. I know you have thought about relaxing or not relaxing before and I know it's not an easy decision for you. Our hair really is important and when you start to lose it, it does feel like the end of the world. And none of the decisions you
have to make are easy. So please know that I am going to pray for you and I hope the best for you.

Candiss

One more thing, I remember AFashionSlave once saying she had a bald spot for six years and then it finally grew in (please correct me if I'm wrong, AFashionSlave). I'm not sure if it was scarring alopecia or what. But it seems like you can never know for sure if what the doctors say is permanent, really is. I was told that I would never grow hair in the area of the alopecia because the follicles where scarred, well I am growing SOME back. I don't know if it will be normal again but some is better then none. so there may still be hope for you. If you do decide to go the transplant route, make sure you deal with someone who has worked with black women before. good luck :)

Blu217

Everyone -

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT AND KIND WORDS. I woke up this morning feeling sort of... gutted, because each time I see the full progression of my loss it just grinds things to a halt all over again. And then I have to start thinking of solutions all over again. Sigh.

Posting that pic on here was like... getting naked for ya'll! I told someone that in a PM. But it's also the truth. I took the rollerset pic at Christmas; my scalp under all that hair looked like the pic I posted today. But with new growth and just the pattern of the loss, no one can see.

To not relax... I stretched for 3 months with the intention of possibly not relaxing again, but I have not been able to make the transition. I don't like the way it looks and people start commenting, it's so hard to work natural hair for me... I like the idea of leaving the affected area alone and relaxing around that; that might work. I'll need to learn to wield a flat iron and I'm probably gonna be at the salon a lot more often. Sedu, here I come! :grin:

I'm glad to know I'm not alone. And yet I hate hearing I'm not, because it sucks so bad that any of us are going thru this. I'm soothed to read that some of you say my head looks just like yours, because I'll be honest: It looks like nothing I've ever seen before up there, but apparently this is normal for what it is. Some guy today on Myspace complimented my appearance and I couldn't just enjoy it because I wondered what he'd say if he knew my "dirty secret." It is tough to deal with the loss of your sexy at just 34. I can drop some pounds if I don't like where my body's heading. I can't just grow back my hair when I get sick of being bald. Such a complex and tricky situation.

I DO believe this can grow back, to some extent. I just don't know how NOT to believe that. I think it's gonna take quite some time and I gotta snap out of my hair depression and get back on my vitamins and nutrients. I wouldn't mind a 2nd opinion, but I figure anymore cutting and stitching on my scalp will just introduce MORE scarring.

In the pic there's a large bald spot at the bottom left, with a tuft over it. That's the thumb-sized indentation left from the cortisone shots that were supposed to help. I had hair there before the shots. Now it's smooth as a cue ball; what you see is hair growing above it, hanging into it. I am wondering if the most recent loss is from those shots, which are supposed to reduce inflammation but in fact can cause hair loss and DID cause me tissue atrophy and a bald spot. Fortunately the spot has filled in a little.

Thanks for the prayers and positive words; I'm praying too. And I am looking forward to setting my hair this afternoon and seeing how long and healthy my finished hair looks now! That'll get my mind off it.

Last edited:

Aveena

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I have a friend that has the same problem and my mother has it to. I have a few smooth spots but none are very big. So I knida know what you're going through and can only imagine how devastating this is. :(

Keep your head up.. keep us posted on any info you get on hair plugs if any. I'm not suggesting you do this but IF you do keep us posted. You are not alone. We are all here for support. By talking about your problem you are helping more people than you know.

nycutiepie

I too have a slight bald patch in the crown area and my edges are practically non-existent. My edges were always thin but tight weaves destroyed them. The derm told me something about "female pattern baldness" in my crown when I last visited him so I know what you are going through. Please know that you are not alone and this board is very encouraging. If I hear of anything that may help, I will let you know.

cmw45

I'm also really sorry that you are going through this...on the other hand...your "finished" hair looks great and I will be lucky if my hair ever looks this gawgeous!

Blu217

Candiss said:
But it seems like you can never know for sure if what the doctors say is permanent, really is. I was told that I would never grow hair in the area of the alopecia because the follicles where scarred, well I am growing SOME back. I don't know if it will be normal again but some is better then none. so there may still be hope for you. If you do decide to go the transplant route, make sure you deal with someone who has worked with black women before. good luck :)

Wow, Candiss--that's great to hear, knowing what you've been thru. And it's so reassuring to know hair will regrow. How long did it take before you started seeing regrowth?

I have a feeling this isn't permanent. Maybe it is, but I just feel that it isn't, at least not all of it. I was thinking tonite about all the things that can cause other things--for all we know a surge of DHT or an immune dysfunction could actually be signalling that we need a colonic or are carrying some sort of strange parasite. Doctors really do not know what's at the core, because they only ever give you very basic information and some theories about why something is happening.

Last night I played a gig and wore my hair down. People kept complimenting me all night, the fellas were looking. It felt nice, if a little strange because in the back of my mind I keep thinking "but I'm balding, and you just don't know that." Just the same, I was so grateful to have hair and to still be able to walk around with my natural hair out and down and no one the wiser. I'm still just grateful for what I have left, that no one knows yet and I know I'm doing my best to improve it.

Replacement surgery would be years down the road, if I go that route. That's SERIOUS and last resort to me; I'd sooner try a scalp reduction if possible, but still years from now--where they close the bald areas by basically cutting them out and stitching the scalp together. Frankenhead! I can't imagine how that doesn't cause scalp trauma or scarring, but I'll do some research.

Thanks again, ladies. Ya'll rock.

Have you tried putting relaxer on that area last.

For years, my edges used to be completely bald. Then I decided to put relaxer on them for a few minutes, right before I rinsed it out. I'm happy to say that they're growing in quite nicely.

The derm doctors told me that it was alopecia and it was probably permanent. I tried everything that was prescribed by them and also used over the counter drugs. I even had them inject my scalp, (which stung very badly). Every natural and herbal ingrediant that I could get my hands on, I tried. Still, no effects were made on my edges.

As of now, when the bushy edges become unmanageable and unbearable, I just use gel or lotion to lay them down.

By the way, your hair is absolutely g o r g e o u s.

Last edited:

aprilj

Hi Blu - I'm sorry to hear that your facing this challenge. Keep your head up as things will get better. I'll keep you in my prayers.