Be Aware of Ingredients in Pantene Relaxed & Natural Shampoo!!!

Mizani_Mrs

Okay so I am really trying to be smart about what products I buy, as cathy howse has suggested i am reading the ingredient list of the products that I buy. Okay so i have a bottle of the Pantene Relaxed & Natural shampoo that i used to use a while back. so i read the ingredient list the other day and I was shocked to see the ingredients. It's like we trust these manufacturers to put in good ingredients and we are so uneducated that we read the list and don't know good from bad. It's like i trust it to be good for my hair just because it says 'relaxed and natural. well anyways, at the top of the list is "Water, Petrolatum, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, sodium lauroamphoacetate, ammonium lauryl sulfate......" Ok, so on various haircare websites for african americans, these 2 cleansers are a no-no. because they dry the hair out because they are too harsh. In the 'dont go shoping for haircare products without me' book. the author Paula begoun talks about these cleansers and then she says " ammonium lauryl sulfate and ammonium laureth sulfate are also standard surfactants used in shampoos and aree considered gentle surfacants, though some would suggest ammonium lauryl sulfate is not all that gentle." But on a black haircare site they had both listed as somewhat harsh. So i'm gathering that they may be fine for caucasian hair but are harsh for black hair. And i am highly concerned about petrolatum being the 2nd ingredient because this ingredient is probably clogging the hairshaft before u get a chance to cleanse your hair and add moisture.

Oh well, i'm tossing this bottle out tomorrow. and i'm kinda upset because I just found out that the Mizani H2o creme hairdress and the overnite treatment, their 2nd ingredient is mineral oil. :eek: and both of them smell sooooooo goood. and the smell lingers all day. mmmmm! but what the heck...i spent too much money to toss it...i'll use it until it's out then i'll switch to Keracare Humecto.
ok well i just had to vent my frustration and also inform you guys to wisen up.

So i challenge you all to take a look at the list of your products and post here if you find something upsetting about any of your beloved products!!!

(and just for the record sodium laureth sulfate is black hair friendly! my goal is to use only this cleanser.)

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
I have used that product before and I did not like it....it was too "strong" for me. It seems like my hair does not do that well with "black" products. I had bought them and I did not want to throw them away so I put them in storage when I moved out of my dorm.....lol. No telling what's growing in it now :)

Angelicus

I agree with you about reading ingredient listings before you buy, but there are a lot of people who like that shampoo :yep: Why don't you give it or sell it to someone? I'd hate for you to throw haircare products away.

In an old post, AFashionSlave challenged us all to think about and research what we put in and on our bodies. I hope the members on this board took time to read it :yep: Happy Hair Growing.:cool:

TigerLily

Hey Mrs_Mizani! I see what you're saying, however, if it's been working for your hair, why get rid of it?

LDebagoria

I've been hearing for a very long time now that ALL Pantene products are the worst (although one of the most popular) hair product lines on the market!
And yes, ammonium lauryl and laureth sulfate are awful for our hair!

When I was at my Aunt's house I had to wash and condition. When I saw that all she had was Pantene Relaxed and Natural, I jumped my butt outta the shower and hauled on over to the mall to get some Nexxus products! No joke! :lol:

LDebagoria

TigerLily said:
Hey Mrs_Mizani! I see what you're saying, however, if it's been working for your hair, why get rid of it?

Not to sidetrack Tiger, but WHO is that LOVEly male on your signature? :p

Mizani_Mrs

Yea maybe u are right. The Mizani products do work nicely for my hair. I haven't used them consistently enough to say that I see an improvement but i like the way they feel and LOVE the smell. But as far as the Pantene...I never liked it..i guess i was waiting for it to 'kick-in' and deliver. Back in those days, i was uneducated and I always assumed that all of these 'black' products were great products, but they didn't work for me because my hair was too damaged or too nappy. Now I know better!!!!!

And yea i probably shouldn't throw it away. It's not enough left to sell... I'll pass it to my sister. maybe she'll have better luck.

luvSLave

TigerLily said:
Co-signing. I dislike this shampoo because I felt like it left a coating on my hair - I'm guessing it was the petroleum. However, my hair responds very well to Motions Silk Protein conditioner and Keracare's leave in, two products with mineral oil pretty high on the ingrediant list. I say if it works for you, use it, just be aware of the potential drawbacks and be proactive. I make sure these items don't get on my scalp, just my hair.

Honi

There is no board.
I'm puzzled. Why put Vaseline (petroleum) in a shampoo??? Grease in a shampoo??? Hmm…I'm going to write the company and find out.

Queenie

I hate that shampoo. I used it once and took it back to the store. It made my hair greasy. :barf: I was disappointed and thought that Pantene could do better by us. :( I always check my ingredients now, and it's helped me from making bad purchases along with reccomendations from you ladies. ;)

CarLiTa

OMG! ARe you serious! I just found this thread and man, I've been using Pantene ProV Relaxed & Natural for quite a few months now... It said "Oil moisturizing shampoo" or whatever, so I thought "Oh that must be great for my hair because it won't dry it out like other shampoos"... I didn't know about the ingredients, and it's funny, when I do wash my hair, it ends up feeling like it has grease on it, and i SWEAR I THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD THING! cuz it's a change from the white shampoos that leave my hair feeling really dry right after I shampoo it. I don't really like the Pantene R&N Conditioner, although I use it sometimes, I dont feel that it really moisturizes my hair.... I'm throwing them out!!!

THANK SO MUCH FOR THE INFO! NOw, I need your help: WHAT SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER DO YOU SUGGEST I USE?

I actually was thinking of getting Creame Of Nature or use the Infusium 23 shampoo when my Pantene ProV is done... which do you think I should get? or are there better options?

MizAvalon

I thought it was pretty common knowledge about how bad Pantene products are. They get hideous reviews over at Makeupalley.

Belle Du Jour

Honi said:
I'm puzzled. Why put Vaseline (petroleum) in a shampoo??? Grease in a shampoo??? Hmm…I'm going to write the company and find out.

Because they figure if it's used on black hair, it need to have plenty o grease in it! :mad:

Amaranthine

I've tried a sample of this shampoo and it made my hair feel extremely waxy and coated. I looked at the ingredients and lo and behold, there was petrolatum (sp?) right up at the top.

I don't know what convinced them that this (petroleum) is what "black" hair needs for moisture, but I've tried other moisturizing shampoos that were much better; like Kenra.

It's like, of all the moisturizing things you can stuff into a shampoo, why pick that?

Honi

There is no board.
I just wanted to give ya'll an update on my response from Pantene regarding petroleum in their shampoo.

Looks like they have a general statement. Why can't they just answer the darn question? LOL

See below:

"Oils have long been considered an integral part of African hair care. Pantene Relaxed & Natural is enriched with jojoba seed and coconut oils along with other oils including mineral oil and petrolatum. These essential oils, with Pro-V conditioners, help protect hair from damage and leave your hair moisturized and conditioned. Whether your hair is chemically relaxed, pressed or natural, Pantene Pro-V Relaxed & Natural will give you healthy looking hair that shines!"

Stop by anytime.

Kelly
Pantene Team

MissDiva

Honi said:
I just wanted to give ya'll an update on my response from Pantene regarding petroleum in their shampoo.

Looks like they have a general statement. Why can't they just answer the darn question? LOL

See below:

"Oils have long been considered an integral part of African hair care. Pantene Relaxed & Natural is enriched with jojoba seed and coconut oils along with other oils including mineral oil and petrolatum. These essential oils, with Pro-V conditioners, help protect hair from damage and leave your hair moisturized and conditioned. Whether your hair is chemically relaxed, pressed or natural, Pantene Pro-V Relaxed & Natural will give you healthy looking hair that shines!"

Stop by anytime.

Kelly
Pantene Team

Ok, they could of came with a better answer than this. I'm glad I don't use the products. Never have and never will!!!!

balisi

I bought these products way before I was educated on these matters. The ingredients are precisely why I threw these products away, and I was quite offended that those responsible for these products think it's okay to sell us such junk. :mad:

Crystalicequeen123

I could be wrong, but I could have sworn that sodium laureth sulfate was much BETTER than sodium lauryl sulfate for your hair. I think that's just something I read on many hair boards, and books.

Eiano

Honestly, what works for 1 may not work for the other. a lot of poos have these ingredients, and they work great for me, so beware.... if your hair doesn't do well with these products, otherwise don't worry about it so much :)

Mizani_Mrs

Crystalicequeen123 said:
I could be wrong, but I could have sworn that sodium laureth sulfate was much BETTER than sodium lauryl sulfate for your hair. I think that's just something I read on many hair boards, and books.

Yes you are right Sodium Laureth is way better than Sodium laauryl. but what is in pantene is Amonium Laureth and Laurel, these aren't the harshest, especially for white hair. but they certainly aren't wise for black hair. (sodium laureth is the best choice). and i was amazed that Petrolatum was the 2ND INGREDIENT!!! :eek: so they are coating your hair, more than they are moisturizing it...

Mizani_Mrs

Wow, good thinking honi! i never thought about contacting them. She basically read to you what their mission statement says on the back of their bottle. :confused: Did she really think she was answering your question? oh well, i guess all we can do is make sure everyone is aware that their ingredients aren't the best. And anyone can still choose to use the products if they do work for them....

Honi said:

See below:

Wow, good thinking honi! i never thought about contacting them. She basically read to you what their mission statement says on the back of their bottle. :confused: Did she really think she was answering your question? oh well, i guess all we can do is make sure everyone is aware that their ingredients aren't the best. And anyone can still choose to use the products if they do work for them....

Stop by anytime.

Kelly
Pantene Team

lavendarlover

Their shampoo made my hair feel greasy, and I personally don't want build-up in my hair, so I try not to use dimethicone based products. I don't use shampoos with SLS OR ALS in them , because they dry my hair TERRIBLY!!

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
I can speak for others but most, if not all, shampoos that contain ALS or ALES makes my hair very stripped. Thank goodness I never purchase from them. Those I am intrigued if they offered a free sample :lol:. Just kidding!

lthomas1

Hair Power!
I only used the relaxed and natural once when it first came out. Just was not that impressed enough to buy it again.

taraglam2

I used Pantene Relaxed & Natural like 2 times when it first came out---I immediately got rid of it and threw the oil moisturizer out once I joined LHCF. I am not into any of the PANTENE line any more at all. I finished the last drops of my PANTENE Light Spray Conditioner Leave In Detangle (Blue Label) a couple of weeks ago. I bypass PANTENE non-stop now.

California

My Aunt swears by this product, thats probably why her hair hasn't gotten any longer in over 7 years! Just thinner. Oh well, can't tell her nothing.

lveurslf

Just have to put my two cents in on this topic. I washed my hair with pantene's relaxed and natural until I started paying attention to how my hair was responding. It was like most ladies on here said, it would feel greasy and then I'd have way more hair in my comb then when I would use other products. I swore pantene off after that.