Beauty School Stylist!

Transformer

What's been your experience going to a learning environment to get your hair styled?

I went for the first time in 30 years last week and here's my experience. I was "dragged" there by a coworker that's on a TIGHT budget but has MBL hair that tangles badly( I had to see it with my own eyes to believe it.)

The cost of a wash and set was advertised as $15.00. Greeted by the "owner" who then asked us to take our hair out of our pony buns. He then decided to charge us $19.00 due to the length.

Anyhoo...the lady doing my hair was absolutely great. It turns out she was a stylist in NY but since moving to Maryland had to complete additional hours??? My coworker was less fortunate or the stylist was less fortunate because she spent an hour detangling and another hour trying to roll the MBL hair. The owner then tells my co-worker that in the future her hair will be $25.00--isn't this a school??? I think he's trying to run a salon on the sly.

But the big issue I had was that both stylist were wearing weaves and then professed that they COULD NEVER BE NATURAL. My stylist stated that she hadn't had a relaxer in FIVE WEEKS-a record for her. The other stylist said she was "TOO EUROPEAN"---EUROPEAN YAKI (we all laughed) to ever go without a weave.

These are ladies specializing in hair care but are promoting the use of weaves instead of hair care and I think the dangerous use of relaxers. Although both were professional and tried hard---again my lady was excellent, I don't think I'm willing to follow them to a salon and make them my regular stylist.

ms.blue

Styling and haircare has become two different things now when going to a salon. Some stylists only care about the actual style and not maintaining the health of the hair also some are either not taught how to do natural hair or they don't like dealing with natural hair.

Transformer

Styling and haircare has become two different things now when going to a salon. Some stylists only care about the actual style and not maintaining the health of the hair also some are either not taught how to do natural hair or they don't like dealing with natural hair.

My stylist was very good with natural hair and stated she had a lot of natural clients----but just not for her. I received the smoothest set I've had in years and she stated and appeared to like doing hair--natural or not. But indicating that she would apply a relaxer--like every 3 weeks----I think that's insane.

I always look at the hair of stylists in the salons. I feel if they are rag-tag, I should probably be somewhere else. By the way, the weaves weren't great.

ms.blue

My stylist was very good with natural hair and stated she had a lot of natural clients----but just not for her. I received the smoothest set I've had in years and she stated and appeared to like doing hair--natural or not. But indicating that she would apply a relaxer--like every 3 weeks----I think that's insane.

I always look at the hair of stylists in the salons. I feel if they are rag-tag, I should probably be somewhere else. By the way, the weaves weren't great.

I agree that natural hair isn't for everyone and it appears that she knows how to take care of natural hair but to relax every 3 weeks is insane, even the relaxers that come in the box say to relax every 6 weeks. I guessing she doesn't like to see any type of new growth but she should know better than that since she is in cosmotolgy(sp?) school.