Been natural and relaxed...what have you learned??

Which have you been in your adult life?

• I've only been relaxed/texlaxed, and that's the way I plan to stay

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • I've only been relaxed/texlaxed, and I want to try being natural.

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • I've only been natural, and that's the way I plan to stay.

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • I've only been natural, and I want to try being relaxed/texlaxed.

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • I've been both and I love both.

Votes: 59 18.1%
  • I've been both, and I like being natural better.

Votes: 155 47.5%
  • I've been both and I like being relaxed/texlaxed better.

Votes: 55 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've been both, but I prefer my natural hair better. Number 1: I hated being a slave to the stylist. Number 2: It was so expensive!!!! Number 3: my hair never grew past my shoulders. My hair has grown sooo much since my bc and I am in love. My natural hair is manageable and healthy. I plan on locing later in my natural journey. Finally I am content.

I've been both and I prefer natural, but this may have more to do with the fact that when I was relaxed, I was very salon-dependent. I hate salons and anyone doing my hair hurts and the chemicals burned and stank. Maybe if I were relaxed post-LHCF, it would be different.

I've been both but I prefer being natural.

I hated having a set touch up schedule. I hated the salons and long wait times. Besides it was only when I had my hair touch up did it looked relaxed and smooth. Other times it just bushed up and looked like it was blowdried the whole time. It was really hard to retain moisture (much like now) and my length kept yo-yoing due to stylists. Besides having a bad hair day natural seems much more acceptable than having a bad hair day relaxed.

I been both ... I like my natural better ... even when I had a relaxer,my hair would curl up and look like a wash and go all the time :( ... that is one of the reasons I decided to say bye bye to relaxers .... it was a waste of time and money for me ....

I've been both. I've liked both, but I like being natural the most. I like that my hair feels strong, healthy and resilient. My hair has grown sooo much since my BC--and I feel like I will soon reach lengths that I never could when relaxed/texlaxed.

I feel this way too. My relaxed hair was very healthy and I had a very easy regimen but it lacked volume. Now, with being natural, I have way more volume and I luv it!

I think I will stay natural the rest of my life. I like not having to bother with the chemicals and being natural is so ME. It reflects my style and vibe the most.

I want to change my previous vote to I love natural more. I have since learned how to care better for my hair without chemicals.:yep: I am transitioning now and for the first time I feel mentally and physically able to give my natural hair the care it deserves.:yep:

I just like my natural hair better, it fits my lifestyle, personality and attitude. I loved the manageability of my texlaxed hair, but I didn't like the styles I were doing on my hair. I missed the thickness of my natural hair. I just wish it could be easier for me to detangle and handle my natural hair, but I am still going natural anyway.

Foe me I LOVE BOTH! But I prefer my Natural hair, But I think I am gonna stay Texlaxed for now,
Hey DDTexlaxed!!!!! I am witcha girl!!

Last edited:
I have been both more times than once both long and short, but it was only recently that I learned how to make my natural hair look really good with minimal effort.

I already knew how to make my relaxed hair do what I want with minimal effort.

I love both because I can deal with both and alternating between well defined curly spirals and long flowing hair with bounce and shine is easier the more knowldge I gain.

Truth is I like how God made me, hair root to big toe nail and don't want to be like or look like anyone else.

Heb 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

I like both but like relaxed better cause I hate dealing with all that hair. And the dryness and slow growth. Plus my mom or sis had to do my hair all the time. I will go natural again not right now though.

I voted that I prefer my hair natural. Its easier for me to style, I love my curls, straight hair looks healthier and thick, my hair isthe longest its ever been.

What I've learned is that I let hair dressers do my hair once a week for about 10 yrs straight and my hair was dead looking, no body, split ends gallore and never past my shoulder. Mind you, my hair was long relaxed when I used to stretch, rollerset and self-relax back in the early 90's. After my FIRST salon visit my hair fell out. You would think I woulve said oh hell naw, but she made it seem like it was my fault. I was a DIYer, got lazy, now I'm a DIYer again but for life. I have no reason to go back to a relaxer, but I can now sympathize with those that chose to get one.

I loved being natural but, the knots were killing me. So, about 5 months ago I did a very quick texlax. My hair is almost exactly the same but, so much easier to detangle.

Those with natural hair and knots... if you press your hair monthly or every two weeks gentally it wont knot... After reading this form I am wondering has pressing the hair become less of an option to many?

I voted that I was relaxed and I like being natural better.

I am a transitioner, so I will admit that am not "natural" yet, but most of my hair is natural, and the first thing I noticed about my natural hair is that it is definately stronger than it was relaxed. Secondly, I noticed that when I straighten my hair, it is fuller and thicker. Lastly, I retained length better than I ever did relaxed, and my edges and nape (which in some areas are completely natural due to relaxer damage...) grew back. Basically for me the overall health changed.

Plus you can't compete with the versitility! :grin:

ive been both. i realize that i like variety of hair style & that i AM lazy so i want variety with little effort. relaxed 1.0 = straight everday all day. blow dried & flat ironed. ALWAYS. natural 1.0 = straight or in a puff.

now? relaxed 2.0 (more texlaxed but i dislike this term) = wash & go bun, blow dried bun or ponytail, straightened. flexi rod set, twistout, braidouts.

i was too lazy to experiment with my natural hair tbh, i have a LOT of hair, super thick.

i'll prob go back to natural in a few years. i miss my puff.

Back