Beer: Regain curl and natural state

Zoe

I know there are some people on the board who have had press and curls in the past and for some reason some of their hair still has straight parts to it...

Well Im one of the people.. I had a press and curl and just went to braids...I decided to call the lady who "jacked" up my hair and she told me:

to just put beer in it!

OK I dont know how true it is..but once I take my braids out in 2 months I will def. try it!

If anyone else tries it please let me know... otherwise I dont know what the heck Im going to do.

brwnskingirl

no this beer thing is true. Im from belize (west Indies) when I was growing up my mother and sisters would "wash their relaxer out" with beer or dishwashing liquid. Please dont try it cause I said it..i have never tried it personally but I've seen my sisters do it to get back their natural hair. Please dont sue me.

ccd

i remember the beer thing too...when i was younger my aunt did this to my cousin's hair..I think she was having breakage so they poured beer..i'm going to ask her...

Zoe

[ QUOTE ]
AnjelLuvsUBabe said:
if she messed up ur hair why take advice from her

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I wanted to.

My hair isn't falling out its just straight..so I asked a PROFESSIONAL since I know Im not the only person that has happened to.

ngaa

well this thing was discussed b4 maybon another hair board, i'm not too sure but the conclusion they came up with is that once it relaxed then hair cant go back natural but it can appear to, i think the beer only gives the appearance of afro textured hair wen its really not...dont kno if i made a lot of sense there but it supposedly works, mind u i havent tried it on my hair but there's been a lot of testimonials to it.

Islandgirl

i mentioned this on a thread about beer, but everyone ignored it and talked about some other use of beer. i remember when i was younger, beer was used to wash the relaxer out of my step sister's hair. i have to ask an older one about this. it just doesn't make sense now that i am older.

TigerOrange

Beer is more of a protein conditioner. My mom used to do it with Budweiser beer. It strenghthened her hair before a press and curl. Any other beer is too sticky to rinse out

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
BEER & BEAUTY AT THE KINGSMILL RESORT SPA

http://www.beercook.com/articles/kingsmillspa.htm

Sure, it's a girly thing to do with a room-temperature brew, but the supermodels all swear by it, at least according to Kate Mearns, director of the Spa at the Kingsmill Resort.

A bottle of beer poured through your tresses after your shampoo sets your curls and adds shine. It's true - there's even photographic proof. I swear it works. Really.

Of course, for most women, having a beer poured on your hair is an accident. So I've been told, last time by an overzealous fan at Wrigley Field who jumped up from his seat behind me and splashed me with beer. All purely accidental, I was assured.

But equally reassuring was Ms. Mearn's advice about my first Budweiser shampoo. "Your hair won't smell like beer after the blow dry - it all evaporates."

At $70 for the 45-minute "hair, hands and hops treatment" at the spa, it's a splurge beyond what most women think of as a beer-budget beauty boost.

"This relaxing hand, hair and scalp treatment incorporates select ingredients with the Anheuser-Busch tradition in mind," promises the brochure. "After a cleansing shampoo and a deep conditioning treatment using our unique Kingsmill Plantation Collection, which contains hops, lemongrass, rosemary and chamomile, and a relaxing hand massage to promote deep relaxation and renewal, a final rinse of Anheuser-Busch's Budweiser beer will add shine and manageability to your hair."

Most of the women I spotted there were opting for saner beauty treatments, such as manicures, pedicures, hair cuts, sports or reflexology massages, makeovers, and such. The woman sitting next to me in the hair salon looked slightly shocked as the suds cascaded down my wet hair.

But even though I felt a bit silly, I really enjoyed the beer-infused beauty treatments. Kingsmill's own private label Plantation potions include hops extracts for their relaxing and aromatic properties. My hands felt soft and not a bit beery or sticky after applying the hops lotion. And my hair, as promised, was full, shiny and manageable, and not reeking of beer after the blow-dry.

For more information about the Kingsmill Spa's more than 40 beauty services, look at www.kingsmill.com.

miss_brown

Girl, thanks so much for this information. I also recently got a press and it seems as though there are a few places on my head that remained straight too

When I get out of these cornrows in a couple weeks, I'll try this and update everyone :crossingfingers:

SouthernTease

I know this is a very very old thread...
but a Dominican girl told me (last week) that
she used the "BEER METHOD"
to wash out her relaxer
and bring her hair back to its natural state...
Does anyone know about this?
Has anyone done it lately?
I'm going to try it when I get home...
Gotta go to work now...

KiniKakes

SouthernTease said:
I know this is a very very old thread...
but a Dominican girl told me (last week) that
she used the "BEER METHOD"
to wash out her relaxer
and bring her hair back to its natural state...
Does anyone know about this?
Has anyone done it lately?
I'm going to try it when I get home...
Gotta go to work now...

I am confused when folks say the beer "washes out their relaxer." :confused: What exactly does that mean? Certainly they dont think putting beer in their hair is really going to cause it to revert back to a pre-relaxed, natural state? I dunno.... just looking for some clarity. :)

Bint Yusef

Relaxers permanently break down the bonds of your hair. Beer wont restore those.

This is not true.

I would love to see one of these beer believers to show before and after pics. Ive never seen one, just heard tales.

KiniKakes

OnAHairQuest said:
Relaxers permanently break down the bonds of your hair. Beer wont restore those.

This is not true.

I would love to see one of these beer believers to show before and after pics. Ive never seen one, just heard tales.

Right! Cuz if it were just that easy to "wash out a relaxer" folks wouldnt havent to go thru a long process of transitioning with natural styles, or doing a major BC. Everyone would just be dunking their head in a keg of beer! :lol: And Id be the first one in line, since i been wanting to be natural for a long time now but just didnt have the patience to start over with a BC.

P

patient1

The only thing I know beer to be good for hairwise is clarifying. I would pour it over some of my clients locks after the wash phase. I preferred acv rinses though. I find them to be more effective.

Plus, what a waste of a perfectly innocent beer. :)

p1

Bint Yusef

:lol: I would relax every other week , and go back to natural the next., if all I needed was 6 a pack.

The sad part is a lot of these people are jacking up their hair, especially those who "wash it out" with Tide. :eek: They are just ending up with heads of frizzy damaged relaxed hair.

KiniKakes said:
Right! Cuz if it were just that easy to "wash out a relaxer" folks wouldnt havent to go thru a long process of transitioning with natural styles, or doing a major BC. Everyone would just be dunking their head in a keg of beer! :lol: And Id be the first one in line, since i been wanting to be natural for a long time now but just didnt have the patience to start over with a BC.

KiniKakes

OnAHairQuest said:
The sad part is a lot of these people are jacking up their hair, especially those who "wash it out" with Tide. :eek: They are just ending up with heads of frizzy damaged relaxed hair.

Tide??!!!! Mercy!!!! :eek:

Soul♥Flower

Ooh, I hope no one is still doing the tide thing. It has a very high P.H.
Don't believe me? Mix some tide with some neutralizing shampoo and see how pink it gets.

As far as the beer thing goes...I'm not sure about all that.

AKA-Tude

OnAHairQuest said:
:lol: I would relax every other week , and go back to natural the next., if all I needed was 6 a pack.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: JEEEZ!!!

tnorenberg

I remember using beer for conditioning and a really nice shine when I was younger. It works, but I NEVER heard of using it to wash out a relaxer.:eek: What's the PH of a beer anyway?

JuicesN'Berries

Oh man....I wonder if this really works!! Ya'll got me wanting to go to the store and grab some beer. My heat damage is horrible. So is it suppposed fix heat damage or what???

JuicesN'Berries

I'm sorry I found this ya'll but I did, so here it is......

Perms and Beer to Shampoo Hair

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Q: I have a big problem and I hope that you could solve it for me. When I was 11 years old I did a permanent in my hair (to straighten it). My real hair is wavy. I kept on doing it until last summer. I am now 18 years old, so I was doing it once/twice a year for about 7 years. I decided to not to do it ever again and started growing my real wavy hair. It's now about 5 cm long. I really want my real hair to grow faster than ever. Some people (hairdressers) told me to wash my hair twice a week with beer to make the perm go out of it.
My question is: Is this a good thing to do, and is there a quicker way to make my real hair grow faster?

A: I’m sorry to have to tell you this, but there is nothing that will make your hair grow any faster than it is genetically predisposed to do. The key to optimizing hair growth is to make sure the hair is kept clean and well-conditioned.

As for the use of beer to shampoo the hair helping to remove a perm, there is no basis to this claim. Beer will help to add volume to the hair, since the alcohol content helps to remove the oils in the hair which can flatten the hair and the proteins in the beer will help to strengthen it. However, since perms change the wave pattern of the hair by breaking and reforming the chemical side bonds of the hair, and since beer causes no chemical changes in the hair, beer will do nothing to remove a perm.

What I recommend is that you consider getting a re-perm using rods that approximate the size of the wave in your hair naturally. This will allow your natural wave to grow out without being so obvious while it does so.
[/FONT]

SouthernTease

So I did the beer thing...
this morning...
my hair is dryer than usual
and nappier...
I dunno...
it felt good when it was wet...
probably won't do it again though...
see my fotki journal to see how I did it.

missnappylady

HEY!! I posted this exact same topic last year!!

My cousin told me that she was going to go natural using this method. When I asked, everyone said it was impossible to wash out a relaxer (I kinda felt stupid). Now, I'm confused. Is there anyone that's actually tried it?

ETA: Just saw Southern Tease's post. So, I guess it's kinda true...?!?!

Last edited:

meaganita

One of my girlfriends conditions her hair with beer, mayonaisse, & raw eggs. She's already natural though...I think she already has a pretty coarse texture, but it seems kind of hard afterward.:perplexed Her hair is still long and pretty though.

SouthernTease

Basically, it didn't work.
Maybe it works for type 3 hair...
I don't know what I am... probably a 4a...
anyway... it DID NOT DO ANYTHING FOR ME.

PinkSkates

Originally posted by JuicesN'Berries
A: I’m sorry to have to tell you this, but there is nothing that will make your hair grow any faster than it is genetically predisposed to do. The key to optimizing hair growth is to make sure the hair is kept clean and well-conditioned.

As for the use of beer to shampoo the hair helping to remove a perm, there is no basis to this claim. Beer will help to add volume to the hair, since the alcohol content helps to remove the oils in the hair which can flatten the hair and the proteins in the beer will help to strengthen it. However, since perms change the wave pattern of the hair by breaking and reforming the chemical side bonds of the hair, and since beer causes no chemical changes in the hair, beer will do nothing to remove a perm.

Thank you for posting this! It is physiologically impossible, and all the ladies with a chemistry background know this! The only thing beer can do for permed AA hair is help to condition the hair and add shine; and that's only temporary just like any other conditioner.