Beeswax and Senegalese Twists

Quailbird

I'm going to do Senegalese twists on someone's hair next week and I wanted to know if beeswax is okay to use on hair. Like will it prevent growth. When I got my Senegalese twists done that's what the girl used. If anybody knows anything about this, I'd appreciate any advice. TIA

ETA: I am not the best at gauging how much synthetic hair to use compared to my regular hair so advice on that would is needed as well. I don't want the twists to be too heavy and cause breakage.

Last edited:

Nasdaq_Diva

I don't use beeswax because it's petroleum based and will gunk up and cause a ton of buildup on the hair.

Nasdaq_Diva

What would you recommend that I use if anything? Aloe vera gel maybe?
Is this your first time getting senegalese twists? I never got them, only kinky twists because the hair used in senegalese twists is much finer than my own natural hair. I usually use nothing - EVCO is usually the only thing on my hair when I go in. A few times they've used a light gel for hold. I think Aloe Vera would be nice. Nice hold, and soothing to the scalp.

B3e

I've never used bee's wax. I usually do senegalese twists(and box braids) on hair that's been DC'd and lightly moisturized with brx/infusium (moisturized without being ungrippable).

If I need to put anything on the hair, I usually use cantu or olive hairdress...I think its by ors, I can't remember, ill edit when I remember.

As for getting a nice amount of extension, I separate out as many .5" - .75" sections and lay them over the arm of the chair I'm currently on as well as my lap. That is how I make certain they are even, and the amount of hair on the person I grab corresponds to the size of the sections I have divided.

HTH, that's how my mum also prepared her hair. It works for us. I'm otherwise terrible at getting the same size sections if I don't pre-divide them. That's why I love yarn braids :D.

Quailbird

Is this your first time getting senegalese twists? I never got them, only kinky twists because the hair used in senegalese twists is much finer than my own natural hair. I usually use nothing - EVCO is usually the only thing on my hair when I go in. A few times they've used a light gel for hold. I think Aloe Vera would be nice. Nice hold, and soothing to the scalp.

This is my first time doing Senegalese twists. The girl that did mine used beeswax, but if I don't have to use anything, I won't.

glamazon386

Don't use beeswax. It's really hard to get out and it's sticky. It'll make the hair dirty fast. I've had senegalese twists a number of times and they didn't use it. They just used a little moisturizer as they twisted.