Before you buy Curly Pudding...

blue_flower

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse. But before any of you consider buying Curly Pudding, I wanted to share this with you first. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from buying Curly Pudding if that's what they want to do. This is for people like me who are on tight budget and for those who are product junkies.

Here are the ingredients to <u>Curly Pudding</u>:
purified water, veg glycerin, aloe vera gel, carbomer, tocopherol acetate, sweet almond oil, milk protein, vitamin e, panthenol, pectin, sweet orange oil extract, fragrance, fd&amp;c red 3, fd&amp;c blue 1

And here are the ingredients to <u>Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Styling Gel with Sparkle Lites</u>:

Purified Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Aloe Vera Gel, Dimethicone Copolyol, Tocopheryal Acetate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Polysorbate-20, Benzophenone-4, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylsothiazolinone, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum)

I don't know about any of you, but those two styling products share the same main ingredients. They're pretty much the same to me except one costs $3.49 and the other is $28 plus $10 S&amp;H.

If you're still thinking about buying Curly Pudding, check out the directions that are listed on the container. I found them on another hair board:

"DIRECTIONS: FINGERSTYLING YOUR CURLS ON WASH DAY.
1. Wash your curls w/ a detangling shampoo 1x-2x per week. 2. Condition your curls with a deep treatment and run a wide tooth comb to detangle any snarls or tangles. 3. Rinse out 50% of th deep treatment. Leave in remainder to keep curls moist. 4. Apply Curly Pudding Curl Creme while hair is soaking wet (do this in the shower). 5. With head flipped over start applying from the nape of neck. 6. Use fingers for eart to ear sectioning and rake Curly Pudding curl creme from root to end. The idea is to cover every curl with product. USE GENEROUSLY!!! NOTE: WHAT YOUR CURLS LOOK LIKE WET, IS WHAT IT'LL LOOK LIKE DRY. Ie: Frizy wet curls = frizzy dry curls. Spot check your curls and add more product if necessary. 7. For maximum curl and volume, flip or toss head forward and scrunch ends of hair in an upward motion. Place a towel around your neck to keep wet curls off your bare skin. 8. To dry and set your curls: air-dry or sit under a table top portable dryer until hair is 95% dry. 9. Use a diffuser and scrunch curls in an upward motion to create more volume and definition. 10. To lengthen curl, use a nozzle attachment on blow dryer and stretch out a section of hair. Blast in a downward motion. 11. Finish with pomade then scrunch for hold and definition. 12. For added shine, use a glosser. You're ready to go!"

Now twice this week I rinsed my hair, ran some V05 Strawberries and Cream conditioner through it, and added Fantasia IC w/ Sparkle Lites. Guess what? After my hair dried, my curls looked the way they did when they were still wet! No flipping or flopping my head around! No hooded dryer and no blow dryer! It's two days later and I still have curl definition, although frizzy.

Queenie

Thanks for the info. I'm trying a homemade concoction with the main ingredients tommorrow because I am frugal.

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
Thank you so much blue flower! I was curious about the Curly Pudding...but there was no way that I was going to shell out $20+ on it...especially without knowing the ingredients 1st. I can't believe it costs so much! It doesn't contain anything that a cheaper moisturizer or conditioner doesn't already have... /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Sweetyb

[ QUOTE ]
Guess what? After my hair dried, my curls looked the way they did when they were still wet!

[/ QUOTE ]That's it, you got me, I'm SOLD /images/graemlins/weird.gif! I actually didn't know Curly Pudding was that expensive, but it's great to know that there are alternatives. And those directions are a keeper, I'm printing right now /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Q: How long do you leave gel in your hair? How often do you wash your hair with this kind of routine? Thanks!

blue_flower

[ QUOTE ]
now, is there a cheap version of the buttercreme???

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been mixed reviews for the Buttercreme. Some people like it and some don't. But that's the one that cost $48!

Here the ingredients to the <u>Buttercreme</u>:
acetylated lanolin, bees wax, butter (shea), butter (cocoa), carbomer-940, castor oil, deionized water, dilauratelaneth 15, fd&amp;c yellow 5, fragrance, glycerin, glyceryl sterate, glyceryl hydrolyized animal protein, imidazolionyl, jojoba oil, laneth-15, mineral oil, menthyl paraben, milk protein, panthenol, paraffin, peg-400, peg100, peppermint oil, petrolatum, placenta, propyl paraben, triethanolamine, urea, vitamin, wheat germ oil

If you want a cheaper version of Buttercreme, I actually have four: CD Hair Milk, CD Hair Butter, CD Mimosa Hair Honey, or you can make your own conncoction.

Here are the <u>CD Hair Milk</u> ingredients:
corn oil, soy oil, olive oil, sweet almond oil, wheat germ oil, water, cocoa butter, shea butter, vegetable emulsifying wax, essential oil of lemongrass, lily of the valley fragrance and sodium borate [mineral emulsifier].

For <u>CD Hair Butter</u>
olive oil infused with sage &amp; lavender, water, beeswax, shea butter, cocoa butter, wheat germ oil, essential oils of lavender, rosemary, lemongrass, ylang-ylang, patchouli and sweet orange and sodium borate [mineral emulsifier]

And <u>CD Mimosa Hair Honey</u>
Corn oil infused with rosemary, lavender, sage, red clover, chamomile, nettles and roses, beeswax, cocoa butter, shea butter, essential oil of sweet orange with fresh peach and peony fragrance oils, annatto seeds and alkanet root for color.

I've used all three products before and I prefer the Hair Milk because it is liquidy and easier to spread. Some people don't like it when it separates, but all you have to do is shake it. For the Hair Butter you may have to *not* refridgerate it so that it'll be soft. It doesn't smell that great, but you can use a fragrance oil or something to cover up the smell. I like the Hair Honey because it smells citrusy and it gives your hair sheen. I don't see it as a good moisterizer though, but I suggested it anyway. CD products come in various sizes, so the prices range. For example, the Hair Milk comes in 2, 4, 8 oz at $5, $9, and $15.50 (plus s&amp;h).

Since most of these products have shea butter and oils in them, you can get that cheaper in the neighborhood you live and just make your own. If I wanted to make my own version of Buttercreme, I would mix my jojoba, coconut, and olive oils with my avocado butter.

BTW, does anyone know anything about 'urea'? That's one of the ingredients in the Buttercreme. Is it what I think it is?

blue_flower

[ QUOTE ]

Q: How long do you leave gel in your hair? How often do you wash your hair with this kind of routine? Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

It all depends on your hair. The gel stays in your hair until you wash it out. I'm too busy with school to conditioner wash my hair everyday, so I'll put the gel on my hair and not wash it for 2-3 days. From my experience it's important to wash products out of your hair with shampoo because if you don't then your hair will tangle like crazy and feel dry. So I'm going to wash my hair today with a moisterizing shampoo before I put anymore gel in it.

Your hair is different than mine so how I use a product may not work for you if you use it the same way. Some 4a-4b people say that CP doesn't work for them, but I think that it's all in the technique. I think when you use the Fantasia IC gel for curl definition, you should half-way double strand twist your hair in small sections and take them out when they dry. I don't know how long that would take, but at least you don't have to pay $48 just to find out.

hotshot

aha- i am familiar with CDHHB- it was great but too thick and i stopped using it. i have since deveoped a fantastic shea/cocoa butter thing with oils, and if thats all im missing, i'll fret not over the buttercreme. (but people make it sound so lush!!)

Queenie

My homemade version works! /images/graemlins/clap.gif Thanks for the directions! They were very helpful and the missing link for me. /images/graemlins/weird.gif

DelightfulFlame

I believe that it is technique more than the product. If you slather a product on your hair as much as the directions specify, you will probably get those results. I've seen a natural get curls that last all day using the method in the instructions with FOTE aloe vera gel.

I;ve purchased Curly Pudding, and I have to say I really like it. It is expensive, so when I'm low on funds I usually use Elast's Mango Butter, or ORS Lock &amp; Twist Gel. BUt the Curly Pudding does stretch out (at least for me) my hair really well. I don't have a lot of shrinkage, but the Curly Pudding gives it a nice feel and gives me more styling flexibility. I'm not sure if I would make it one of my staple products but it defintely does work well. And it lasts a long time. I can go through Mango Butter in two weeks and its 7.00 The Curly Pudding lasted me about 2.5 months.

blue_flower

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that it is technique more than the product. If you slather a product on your hair as much as the directions specify, you will probably get those results. I've seen a natural get curls that last all day using the method in the instructions with FOTE aloe vera gel.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one of the main ingredients in both gels is the Aloe Vera Gel. I've heard a lot of good things about it. That would be my second option.

Queenie

[ QUOTE ]
Please post your ingrediants in you homemade CP. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's mine: my hair has to be dripping wet, use my regular leave-in (Infusium 23), my regular moisturizer (coconut/olive oil), vegetable glycerine, then a lot of Citre Shine Making waves curl booster and Lorel Out of bed Whipped Gel.

The technique is what helped the most. Good luck. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
aha- i am familiar with CDHHB- it was great but too thick and i stopped using it. i have since deveoped a fantastic shea/cocoa butter thing with oils, and if thats all im missing, i'll fret not over the buttercreme. (but people make it sound so lush!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright spill the ingredients in your shea/cocoa butter mixture!

hotshot

i believe its-
1 oz cocoa butter
1-2 oz shea
1 tsp coconut oil
1-2 tsp jojoba oil ( mixed with olive oil works as well)

i melt the butters in the microwave and add the oils. then i put it in the freezer to solidify. at room temperature it nice and creamy. it leaves your hair riduculously soft and moisturized. its quite rich. i got the recipe from hairfoodforthought.com, which is down right now. Im thinking off mixing in dove intense moisture for the next batch. however i make it, i can send some to you.

Blacktresses

This is information that I obtain from another board....

Kawgirl Kawasaki &lt;[email protected]&gt; wrote:
Adrienne.... you have special hair butter??? What are your
ingredients????

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:06:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Digest Number 1750

it's actually nothing fancy, and i don't even remember how the recipe
evolved into this, but i've VERY simple to make... otherwise adrienne
would not be making it...

BODY BUTTER

2 cup mango butter
1 cup shea butter
¼ cup jojoba oil
¼ cup sweet almond oil
2 tbsp beeswax

place all ingredients in double-boiler and melt together. wait until
slightly cooled and pour into empty container. let cool.

voila! you have play around with the measurements of each thing. it
always comes out slightly different because i'm not that precise. it works
though...

hotshot

hmm- i already know my hair isnt crazy about almond oil, mango butter or beeswax. id say, with any of these homemade things, sometimes you have to experiment with the ingredients individually and determine if it responds to your hair.

Sweetyb

[ QUOTE ]
Your hair is different than mine so how I use a product may not work for you if you use it the same way. Some 4a-4b people say that CP doesn't work for them, but I think that it's all in the technique. I think when you use the Fantasia IC gel for curl definition, you should half-way double strand twist your hair in small sections and take them out when they dry.

[/ QUOTE ]Now why didn't I think of that? I tried a bit of your technique this weekend, except with Proclaim Aloe Vera Gel and I had the shrinkage issue. Although it still worked hella better than my Eco Styler clear gel I tried weeks ago (made gel clumps in my hair). I'm now thinking of re-trying it 2morrow with my hair put into 8-10 loose twists. You're right when you say it's the technique, I'll be trying different ways. Thanks for the idea /images/graemlins/smile.gif

That is exactly what I do to keep my curls big and bouncy but I use these days my clairol 5x leave in conditioner with Hawian silky moisturising spray activator or suave mousse in the seafoam can.I do not even use a gel, If I do it is one of those Citre shine curl gells or Binge give it a swirl spray . I have to post ya'll pics people are always asking me what products I use in my hair. NO curly pudding here.AND my hair is ALWAYS soft Never sticky or slimy just looking like I woke up and left the house with (mind you If I feel like wearing the FRO I just pick it out after it dries .Great Post blue flower.I really should post some new pics .

blue_flower

I'll have to take new pictures soon too! The weather is going to start getting cold next week, so you know what that means! Time to change your hair regimine! The make-your-own-version-of-Buttercreme will be important to have to keep hair moisterized this winter.

[ QUOTE ]
That is exactly what I do to keep my curls big and bouncy but I use these days my clairol 5x leave in conditioner with Hawian silky moisturising spray activator or suave mousse in the seafoam can.I do not even use a gel, If I do it is one of those Citre shine curl gells or Binge give it a swirl spray . I have to post ya'll pics people are always asking me what products I use in my hair. NO curly pudding here.AND my hair is ALWAYS soft Never sticky or slimy just looking like I woke up and left the house with (mind you If I feel like wearing the FRO I just pick it out after it dries .Great Post blue flower.I really should post some new pics .

[/ QUOTE ]You can see the pics here http://groups.msn.com/deeshortest/shoebox.msnw

Sweetyb

New pics /images/graemlins/laugh.gif They're very nice (side note, love the makeup). I've never used a mousse before, I may try it one day.

nijilah

Thanks for the recommendation! I tried the Fantasia IC (for the price, I figured that I could waste the money.) Plus, I refused to buy the expensive Curly Pudding which may or may not work.

Anyway, it worked great!

No, it did not loosen my curls. I have several textures of hair on my heat. It is wavy in the front and has tiny spiral curls in the back. Well, when my hair dried, the curls went from wavy to curly all over! I was quite impressed /images/graemlins/bdance.gif.