Benefit of Scalp Massage -article from HairBoutique

Coffee

The Benefits of Scalp Massage

I've been writing about the benefits of scalp and body massage for a very long time. When performed on a regular basis scalp massage offers a whole list of benefits which are included in this article.
Maybe I'm so invested in the topic because I've been involved with the study of massage since I was a teen back in St Louis.
As part of my early workaholic years I worked as a type of nursing assistant during my junior and senior years of high school for a well-known hospital.
As part of my training I went to massage school and was taught to specifically deal with terminal patients. I also learned that providing massage provided soothing for ailments and other wonderful benefits.
Benefits Of Scalp Massage

I believe everyone should have a scalp massage on a regular basis, whether they do it at home to their own scalp, have their favorite massage therapist do it, or ask a loved one who is willing, to massage their scalp.
Like full body massage, scalp massage can definitely can be a wonderful bonding experience between a couple.

Listed below are my own opinions of the benefits of scalp massage:
Additional Benefits Of Scalp Massage

A proper scalp massage helps provide a glow to the complexion of the face.
Scalp massage as well as body massage can also help to regulate the thyroid and can help to balance body temperatures.
It can help your eyes to relax, help to minimize eye strain, and can be a general tonic for hypersensitivity or excessive nervousness. In some cases it may help to soothe ADD behaviors.
Scalp massage, can also help awaken creativity centers in your brain for more enlightened idea processing or long term meditation.
It can be combined with deep breathing for even deeper results.
When the base scalp massage oils are blended with essential or aromatherapy oils, emotional, spiritual or mental blocks can also be relieved, with ongoing treatments. Harmony can be restored.
In some cases, regular massage with appropriate essential oils can help to slow the onset of white or gray strands.
Regular scalp massage has proven to help in some cases of headaches or migraines.

Coffee

Con't

Disadvantages Of Scalp Massage

In the hair and beauty world there are always two sides of the story and I always feel it is important to address both.
While scalp massage can be truly amazing, there are some drawbacks which include:
1. It can be messy. If a good oil is used, it will make your hair oily.
Since most massage clinics don't offer shampoo bowls, you will need to bring the appropriate hair accessories (hair clips, pins, elastic bands) to pin your hair up and out of the way.
2. You must be willing to tell your massage therapist how deep to massage. A scalp massage performed too deeply can actually cause hair to tangle and could in rare cases cause a headache.
Speak up and tell your therapist what touch you prefer (light, medium, deep). Always have your hair completely detangled before you get on the table to prevent unnecessary tangling which can lead to breakage.
3. Some essential oils may be too intense for a scalp massage. Discuss the oil formula used by the massage therapist before you start. When added to a base oil, each essential oil will provide different results. To energize, peppermint oil will do the trick. To relax completely, Ylang Ylang oil.
4. Oils applied to the scalp can be more difficult to remove from the hair unless done properly.
The best technique is to apply a small amount of undiluted moisturizing shampoo to palms of the hands and pat directly onto the oiled hair BEFORE applying lukewarm water.
The shampoo will cut the oil, make it easy to wash out. Never use cold or extremely hot water directly on oiled hair.
5. A scalp massage may be so relaxing that it may not be wise to drive. If you are so relaxed you cannot be alert, have a friend or relative drive you or ask for a cab to be arranged to take you home.
6. When a scalp massage is performed with fingernails which are long or sharp, they can leave tiny tips or tears in the skin covering the scalp which can set up a pattern of irritation where the scalp struggles to heal from the abrasiveness.
Scalp massage should never be performed by anyone with sharp nails or fingertips. It should also not be performed on a scalp that is already irritated or damaged.
Warning: If you do your own scalp massage at home or have a friend or family member do it, be sure to be very careful not to scratch or irritate the scalp in the process which can have a long ranging impact on the health of your hair.

Summary

Scalp massage can offer many advantages, especially when it's done on a regular basis.
If you're not already enjoying the benefits of regular scalp massage, consider adding it to your regular hair care regime. Your hair will love you for it.

reeko43

Thanks so much, great information. For those of us who are doing our own massages, can you recommend any techniques?