Best advice from a HAIR book…

CurliDiva

I’m not just a recovering PJ, but also a "haircare book" :bookworm: junkie.

I have Andre Talks Hair, The Curly Girl Handbook, No Lye, Essence Total Makeover, True Beauty, Why Are Black Women Losing Their Hair….just to name a few. But, I’ve learned only one or two new ideas or techniques from most of my books. For example ….I love the following books, because:

Andre Talks Hair - the "2,3,4 a/b" numbering system to classify hair type and the idea that WATER is the ultimate moisturizer (not oil)
The Curly Girl Handbook - conditioner washing method
No Lye - pre-wash hot oil treatment and braid/twist outs

What are your favorite hair books and why? :) What are your best tips learned from a hair book?

Peachtree

Hair book by "Ella Joyce", she played "Eleanor" on Roc....
hair tip: Use Lustrasilk Aloe Vera Cholesterol on dry hair as a pre-poo.
I was experimenting with Lustrasilk Aloe on dry hair prior to reading her book... But after reading her book, this became a "normal" part of my transitioning regime... with great results!!

Porsche19

Peachtree said:
Hair book by "Ella Joyce", she played "Eleanor" on Roc....
hair tip: Use Lustrasilk Aloe Vera Cholesterol on dry hair as a pre-poo.
I was experimenting with Lustrasilk Aloe on dry hair prior to reading her book... But after reading her book, this became a "normal" part of my transitioning regime... with great results!!

That's funny, I've just mixed up a bacth of Lustrasilk with an egg, oil and honey for use as a pre poo... without reading the book. :)

Maybe I should start writing my own book :lol:

I haven't used it yet, what is the difference that you see when using lustrasilk compared to other pre poos?

macherieamour

Mine would def have to be Healthy Black Hair by Nicole elizabeth Smith. she just taught me about everything overall. It great for anyone who wants to have healthy hair.

missvi

God is Good!!
macherieamour said:
Mine would def have to be Healthy Black Hair by Nicole elizabeth Smith. she just taught me about everything overall. It great for anyone who wants to have healthy hair.
I have that book its great. She help me to get my regimen together.
*(Best tip) from her is to oil your hairline and ends every night.

angelbaby

The best hair advice I ever got was from the Andre Walker book. The thing about water being the best moisturizer is true. When I stopped using oils on my hair, it became more pliable and I gained elasticity. I also learned to use lye based rather than no-lye relaxers.

Other great advice was from Wanakee. Dusting the ends and wearing protective styles has done wonders for keeping my hair thick and even.

Last edited:

lovechic

Cathy Howse's book for me. It was simple and her common sense view on hair growth was right on! :up: She talked about all the common hair myths,that I believed before reading her book! It just made sense... Don't trim frequently, Don't use heat regularly, Don't overprocess your hair, Don't abuse your hair with dyes and other chemicals, You MUST: Wash regularly, Keep your hair conditioned and moisturized = Longer hair!:)

Last edited:

pink_flower

lovechic said:
Cathy Howse's book for me. It was simple and her common sense view on hair growth was right on! :up: She talked about all the common hair myths,that I believed before reading her book! It just made sense... Don't trim frequently, Don't use heat regularly, Don't overprocess your hair, Don't abuse your hair with dyes and other chemicals Keep your hair conditioned and moisturized = Longer hair!:)

DITTO! That was my first and only book. One thing that helped me was recognizing the importance of keeping the ends moisturized since they are the oldest. Of course that's pretty logical now but at the time it was definitely a "a-ha moment" for me :yep:

RE: Cahty Howse

pink_flower said:
DITTO! That was my first and only book. One thing that helped me was recognizing the importance of keeping the ends moisturized since they are the oldest. Of course that's pretty logical now but at the time it was definitely a "a-ha moment" for me :yep:

Same here

shawniegee

New Cut for '09
missvi said:
I have that book its great. She help me to get my regimen together.
*(Best tip) from her is to oil your hairline and ends every night.
Get out of my head. This help my hairline great deal. I like her book out of all the books I've read.

Blossssom

macherieamour said:

Is that your hair? Omigod! It's beautiful!

"Get down, girl, go head get DOWN!" *Kanye West "Gold-digger" beat*

:)

Cinnabuns

For me it was the "Curly Girl" book my Lorriane Massey. This book only pro-curl and the best hair advice she gave me was to only use cone-free conditioners to CO with and nothing else.

The best part about the book was when she explained an expereiment where you take a wet sponge and ad shampoo to it and run it under water. Next squezze the sponge and you'll notice suds appearing. Repeat as many times as you want and you'll notice that no matter how much you rinse and was the suds still remaih. She claims that this is the same way that curly hair is, it's very porus and soakes up anything that you put on it. This is way she recommends only using conditioner to wash the hair.

I have to say that after doing this experiment I have a whole new outlook on poo-ing forever. :)

Healthb4Length

lovechic said:
Cathy Howse's book for me. It was simple and her common sense view on hair growth was right on! :up: She talked about all the common hair myths,that I believed before reading her book! It just made sense... Don't trim frequently, Don't use heat regularly, Don't overprocess your hair, Don't abuse your hair with dyes and other chemicals, You MUST: Wash regularly, Keep your hair conditioned and moisturized = Longer hair!:)

ITA! Cathy Howse's book is really great! And her products are good too!