Best no lye relaxer for VERY sensitive scalp

mly3e

The comb is stuck.
I don't get my questions answered too often on here
frown.gif
, but I would like to know what is the best relaxer for VERY sensitive scalps. It's very rare that I don't get scabs on my scalp after a relaxer and I don't scratch, brush or damage my scalp in any way before getting a perm. I grease the bottom part before the perm so split ends are not a problem. Sometimes I grease my scalp the night before so that it is not dry. They start to sting halfway through, so the top is never relaxed enough. I was gonna try Optimum like Peachtree does and I wanted to hear some other suggestions first.

I have used used Fabulaxer, Revlon, and Kiddie perms and those were the WORST!!
mad.gif
They broke my hair off! I am currently using Gentle treatment.
<font color="brown"> I am looking for something that wont scab me, but will get my hair straight with out drying it out. Thanks </font>

mly3e, i have psoriasis and have had it for about many years. i used Dark &amp; Lovely No Lye since i started, but recently switched to Affirm Lye.

although i never had any problems with the Dark &amp; Lovely, i read that no lye is more drying to the hair than lye. that's why i made the switch. if i ever got scabs it was only because i had been scratching before i got my hair done. i'm really careful not to do that anymore.

i don't think you should do base your scalp the night before. that may be softening the scalp and making the problem worse. i'd do it right before you get your hair done.

the hairdresser that i'm going to now does the back first. then rinses and does the front. maybe you can try that method. i'd also suggest using something specifically for basing the scalp vs. grease since that doesn't seem to be working for you.

oh yeah... if you post a question that doesn't get answered, all you have to do is respond and type "BUMP" in the response. this moves it up so that people who may have missed it will see it again. the oversight is usually uninentional. so try that next time...
smile.gif

adrienne

Thanks for your reply
cool.gif
! I never thought of greasing my scalp the night before as "softening" it
blush.gif
! Wow. I will stop doing this. Even without doing it I get scabs (though not as badly). Thanks for opening my eyes
drunk.gif

No lye Precise is supposed to be made especially for sensitive scalps. Its been a while sense I've used it so I don't remember whether or not I had any kind of burning or irritation with it, but I don't think that I did. Also, I tried Hawaiian Silky lye a few months ago and it was the only lye relaxer out of all the lye relaxers that I've tried that didn't burn me, so maybe the no-lye would be just as gentle.

Hi mly3e,

I also have a very sensitive scalp and the Optimum Relaxer burned my scalp badly when I tried it in the past. It was too strong. The Affirm no-lye didn't burn me as I've tried that one before but currently I use a lye relaxer.

HTH,
pooh123

I use to use Dudley's sensitive scalp and it has never burned me. My hair did come out nice but the salon I use to go to stopped selling it so I had 2 switch. ;-(

Affirm No-Lye
scratchchin.gif
. I believe I saw that in a thread about 'The best hair products for black hair' on this board. I will check that out when I go to the BSS. Thanks.

I only use Dudley's Q Sensitive Scalp and it's great. Because of my sensitive scalp, I had to switch relaxers often...but I have been using this for about a year and a half with no problems....

Vitale makes a sensitive scalp relaxer called Mo' Body. But it's a lye relaxer. It's doesn't burn me and is effective on my hair, which is pretty coarse to begin with. I think Affirm also makes a sensitive scalp relaxer, but I've never tried that one.

When are you planning to get the relaxer ? Affirm makes a senistive scalp relaxer and they just came out with a dry and itchy scalp relaxer (I htink that might even be the name of it) . Either way they believe that at least one of these relaxers (I can't remember which) is even good enough for those with psorisis and seboragic dermatitis. I won't be able ot find out though for 2weeks. (when I go home and will have acess to the booklet that was discussing it.

In the past, I have used the Affirm Dry and Sensitive Scalp Relaxer. Currently, my stylist uses the Vitale Pro (the one with the aloe vera and shea butter). The Vitale works and there is no burning. However, I am going back to the Affirm because it makes my hair look better and I can go longer between touchups.

Good luck,
MissB

Thanks fellow Bajan Queen
king.gif
! I think I will go with that one or the Dudleys. I will check out the websites of both. Thanks to you all!
notworthy.gif

I plan to relax my hair Monday.
Rose.gif

Back