BEST PRE-POO OIL FOR DRY HAIR???

MRJ1972

I need help!

What is the best pre-poo oil to use for dry hair? ( 4b relaxed )

In addition, are you suppose to use the oil only on the scalp, or both the hair and scalp?

I am new here and still trying to get my regime together, but I have used Jojoba oil and EVOO during the pre-poo, but the hair/scalp is STILL dry...I even mixed some cheapie conditioner with Peppermint oil and the scalp is still dry. By the way, this is for my teenaged daughter..I even tried a method I read about a while back, ( using Kera Care dry and itchy scalp directly on the scalp) but she said it burns her....I told her to "take one for the team", but she doesnt like it!!! ( I know, I know, bad mom :naughty: but I am trying anything to relieve this child of a dry scalp)

I was thinking about VATIKA oil, AMLA oil or the pre-poo oil from shescentit.com, do you guys have any suggestions???

missnk

I use Hesh Shikakai Oil - I haven't tried Vatika Oil though I have heard a lot about it from other people on this forum.

Tiffanyantt

I have super duper dry hair. I saturate my hair with Olive Oil overnight when I pre-poo and my hair ALWAYS thanks me afterwards.

jetbeauty09

I know you said oil but have you tried shea butter? It reacts the same way coconut does when you rub it in your hands.

msa

Is her scalp dry or is her hair dry? or both?

It seems like she may have a sensitive scalp since that kera care burned her. She also may be allergic to some of the things you are using.

Does she also have dry skin? If so you should start internally. Moisturize her body (and scalp) from the inside out by drinking more water, eating healthy, and maybe taking some flaxseed oil (research that though, and since she's a teen she may not want to take it).

I think you're doing too much for right now. The only thing I would be putting on her scalp since it seems sensitive is jojoba oil. Jojoba oil is supposed to be the oil that most closely mimics the scalp's natural sebum. I wouldn't use a lot either. Just put some on your finger tips (or hers) and massage it in.

As far as her dry hair, what are you washing and DC'ing with and how often? You may be able to skip the prepoo if you aren't using a harsh shampoo and then use a really good moisturizing DC.

A good safe shampoo you could use is diluted castile soap (really diluted). Use the kind meant for babies. And make sure that when washing she isn't scratching/rubbing her scalp too hard because that may be causing her to strip all the natural oils and irritate the area.

Whimsy

When I went thru my pre-poo phase I used coconut oil (my fave)

Maybe it'll work well for you too.

Soliel185

I'm weird -- I like peanut oil. It's heavier than coconut oil, which I don't mind b/c it's going to be rinsed out anyway.

I do like coconut oil for sealing though. :grin:

malachi74

I use a big glop of coconut oil and/or a large amount of one of the hairveda oils and put my hair in a bun letting the oil sit all day or overnight before pooing.

I massage the oil into my scalp AND heavy on my ends.

Denise11

I pre poo with rice bran oil or amla oil. I like to keep my coconut oil for sealing. I treasure the softness that I get from coconut oil.

MRJ1972

It seems like she may have a sensitive scalp since that kera care burned her. She also may be allergic to some of the things you are using.

Does she also have dry skin? If so you should start internally. Moisturize her body (and scalp) from the inside out by drinking more water, eating healthy, and maybe taking some flaxseed oil (research that though, and since she's a teen she may not want to take it).

I think you're doing too much for right now. The only thing I would be putting on her scalp since it seems sensitive is jojoba oil. Jojoba oil is supposed to be the oil that most closely mimics the scalp's natural sebum. I wouldn't use a lot either. Just put some on your finger tips (or hers) and massage it in.

As far as her dry hair, what are you washing and DC'ing with and how often? You may be able to skip the prepoo if you aren't using a harsh shampoo and then use a really good moisturizing DC.

A good safe shampoo you could use is diluted castile soap (really diluted). Use the kind meant for babies. And make sure that when washing she isn't scratching/rubbing her scalp too hard because that may be causing her to strip all the natural oils and irritate the area.

Thanks...You are correct...I go from one extreme to the other, so I dont know what is working for her...I have the JOJOBA oil so I will finish that out....I use Kera Care Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner and then I co wash with products like V05 and Aussie and most recently Garnier ( since it was 99cents)..they are all moisture based....She doesnt scratch too often AFTER I am done with wash day, but on WASH day, she cant keep her hands out of her scalp...She has ALLLLLways had dry scalp...:nono:

MRJ1972

Oh, didnt answer all question..hair and scalp are dry, always have been, her hair doesnt even get oily if it goes a week or two without being washed ( i tried this before to see if she could get an oil buildup) ..Her skin is fine...

Reecie

I saturate my hair with EVOO and then apply 1 teaspoon of Burt's Bees Avocado Butter Pre-Shampoo Treatment :love3::love3::love3:. That stuff is the bomb!! I actually will guarantee that it will hydrate your dry tresses.

How it Works
Perming, coloring and styling can leave your hair looking dry and damaged. This luscious formula combines Avocado and Olive oils to penetrate and replenish natural moisture to your hair and scalp. Rosemary, almond oil and nettle extract condition your hair leaving it soft, with a glossy shine.

How to Use It
Massage a generous amount (amount will depend on the length of your hair) of the treatment into wet hair and scalp, and comb through from your scalp to your hair's ends. Leave the treatment on your hair for at least 5 minutes and up to 20 minutes for maximum conditioning. Shampoo and rinse well. Use weekly.

Ingredients: glycerin, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, avena sativa (oat) kernel protein, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil, lanolin, tocopherol, urtica dioica (nettle) leaf powder, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) powder, chlorophyll, fragrance

sharifeh

I saturate my hair with EVOO and then apply 1 teaspoon of Burt's Bees Avocado Butter Pre-Shampoo Treatment :love3::love3::love3:. That stuff is the bomb!! I actually will guarantee that it will hydrate your dry tresses.

How it Works
Perming, coloring and styling can leave your hair looking dry and damaged. This luscious formula combines Avocado and Olive oils to penetrate and replenish natural moisture to your hair and scalp. Rosemary, almond oil and nettle extract condition your hair leaving it soft, with a glossy shine.

How to Use It
Massage a generous amount (amount will depend on the length of your hair) of the treatment into wet hair and scalp, and comb through from your scalp to your hair's ends. Leave the treatment on your hair for at least 5 minutes and up to 20 minutes for maximum conditioning. Shampoo and rinse well. Use weekly.

Ingredients: glycerin, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, avena sativa (oat) kernel protein, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil, lanolin, tocopherol, urtica dioica (nettle) leaf powder, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) powder, chlorophyll, fragrance

I can't wait to try this burt's bees avocado stuff, I've heard only great reviews of it.

RedVelvet310

CASTOR OIL!! Hands down. Give yourself a hot oil treatment using Castor Oil (you can also mix it with other different oils), leave it in for 30min or even over night and then wash it out :yep:. You'll notice the moisture level increase in your hair immediately.

whitedaisez

CASTOR OIL!! Hands down. Give yourself a hot oil treatment using Castor Oil (you can also mix it with other different oils), leave it in for 30min or even over night and then wash it out :yep:. You'll notice the moisture level increase in your hair immediately.

YESSSSSSS!!!!!

Irresistible

I couldnt wash perfectly good coconut oil away

If I were to pre poo it would have to be 'smelly but cheap and good for your hair' olive oil :yep:

Urban

I mostly use EVOO too. It softens my hair and makes detangling easier aswell. I've also recently used Crisco Vegetable oil. While it doesn't soften my hair as much, I think it's better at protecting my hair from being stripped by shampoo.