BEST PRE-POO OIL FOR DRY HAIR???

Irresistible

I need help!

What is the best pre-poo oil to use for dry hair? ( 4b relaxed )

In addition, are you suppose to use the oil only on the scalp, or both the hair and scalp?

I am new here and still trying to get my regime together, but I have used Jojoba oil and EVOO during the pre-poo, but the hair/scalp is STILL dry...I even mixed some cheapie conditioner with Peppermint oil and the scalp is still dry. By the way, this is for my teenaged daughter..I even tried a method I read about a while back, ( using Kera Care dry and itchy scalp directly on the scalp) but she said it burns her....I told her to "take one for the team", but she doesnt like it!!! ( I know, I know, bad mom :naughty: but I am trying anything to relieve this child of a dry scalp)

I was thinking about VATIKA oil, AMLA oil or the pre-poo oil from shescentit.com, do you guys have any suggestions???
do you oil her scalp after you shampoo? and not just pre poo, because thats where her scalp will benefit because it wont just be washed away and stripped off again, pre poo'ing alone wont cut it for really dry scalp , she needs oil to saturate her scalp after its washed

TeeWhyAre

It is horribly pungent & tingles when heated but the girls over @ indusladies.com really are on point w/ mustard oil. I <3 the results after I wash that stinky stuff outta my hair. I have srs HIH syndrome. 'Specially when I mix it w/ powdered coconut milk, aloe vera gel, & avocado. I do this only once in a while but mustard oil on its own once a week is a good look for me.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I had to go back to prepooing. My hair feels better after and it relieves dry scalp as well. I use EVOO. I drench my hair with EVOO, sometimes I mix Amla oil with it for an hour at least or better yet, overnight. I've tried coconut and castor oils as well but they don't work for me.

Stacy TheLady

I've recently used Amla Oil as my pre poo, it worked great. Had my hair soft and shiny. Previously i used coconut oil and EVOO. All work extremely well.

Bublin

I have very very dry hair and scalp. Recently started using Shea butter and JBCO on my hair and scalp and it is working wonders. Using Shea butter on my wet roots has been fantastic.

On dry hair overnight i also sometimes use Camellia Oil.

n_vizion

Amla is great. It smells kinda funny but the results I receive are pretty remarkable. Coconut oil is just as good. In fact, I sometimes use both during my pre-poo.

it_comes_naturally

I saturate my hair with EVOO and then apply 1 teaspoon of Burt's Bees Avocado Butter Pre-Shampoo Treatment :love3::love3::love3:. That stuff is the bomb!! I actually will guarantee that it will hydrate your dry tresses.

How it Works
Perming, coloring and styling can leave your hair looking dry and damaged. This luscious formula combines Avocado and Olive oils to penetrate and replenish natural moisture to your hair and scalp. Rosemary, almond oil and nettle extract condition your hair leaving it soft, with a glossy shine.

How to Use It
Massage a generous amount (amount will depend on the length of your hair) of the treatment into wet hair and scalp, and comb through from your scalp to your hair's ends. Leave the treatment on your hair for at least 5 minutes and up to 20 minutes for maximum conditioning. Shampoo and rinse well. Use weekly.

Ingredients: glycerin, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, avena sativa (oat) kernel protein, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil, lanolin, tocopherol, urtica dioica (nettle) leaf powder, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) powder, chlorophyll, fragrance

I tried this and wanted to love it, but it was so thick and sticky.

LaidBak

I have used EVOO and coconut oil, mixed or separately. I apply, cover with a plastic cap, and wear overnight. I don't do it all the time, maybe once or twice a month. My hair always feels great afterward.

But I am curious about this Burt Bee's stuff. :look:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I Like to think of My Oils as a Pre Co-Wash, since I don't Shampoo much and have been doing HOTS with the Oils Weekly under my Heat Cap. The First 3 Penetrate the Hair Shaft. The rest, because they are in My Stash:look:

1) Olive
2) Coconut
3) Avacado

4) Sweet Almond
5) Jojoba
6) Macadamia
7) Organic Soy
8) Wheat Germ
9) Apricot Kernel

MissDevineNana

I need help!

What is the best pre-poo oil to use for dry hair? ( 4b relaxed )

In addition, are you suppose to use the oil only on the scalp, or both the hair and scalp?

I am new here and still trying to get my regime together, but I have used Jojoba oil and EVOO during the pre-poo, but the hair/scalp is STILL dry...I even mixed some cheapie conditioner with Peppermint oil and the scalp is still dry. By the way, this is for my teenaged daughter..I even tried a method I read about a while back, ( using Kera Care dry and itchy scalp directly on the scalp) but she said it burns her....I told her to "take one for the team", but she doesnt like it!!! ( I know, I know, bad mom :naughty: but I am trying anything to relieve this child of a dry scalp)

I was thinking about VATIKA oil, AMLA oil or the pre-poo oil from shescentit.com, do you guys have any suggestions???

Not sure if u have considered this, as this post is kind of old, but have u considered that your daughter may have slight ezema on her scalp?? Maybe you should try to use an ezema shampoo, or an aveeno shampoo.
If the oils that have been previously recommended dont work, maybe try this link, http://www.eczemashampoo.com/

GOOD LUCK! I know an itchy scalp can be a bother!

lilsparkle825

I have to return to pre-pooing, because my hair tangles up at the mere mention of the word shampoo and I have so much I have to use up! I did this once overnight with EVOO and my hair felt soooo good after shampooing.

Today I'm doing an avocado/honey/shea butter hair mask before I head to the salon to get a Dominican blowout, and after I rinse that out I think I will mix up some EVOO (just bought a huuuuge bottle) with some coconut oil (I get the $4 LouAna one from Wal-Mart) and maybe even some palm kernel or soybean oil and let that sit till i'm in the shampoo bowl.

supermodelsonya

Is her scalp dry or is her hair dry? or both?

It seems like she may have a sensitive scalp since that kera care burned her. She also may be allergic to some of the things you are using.

Does she also have dry skin? If so you should start internally. Moisturize her body (and scalp) from the inside out by drinking more water, eating healthy, and maybe taking some flaxseed oil (research that though, and since she's a teen she may not want to take it).

I think you're doing too much for right now. The only thing I would be putting on her scalp since it seems sensitive is jojoba oil. Jojoba oil is supposed to be the oil that most closely mimics the scalp's natural sebum. I wouldn't use a lot either. Just put some on your finger tips (or hers) and massage it in.

As far as her dry hair, what are you washing and DC'ing with and how often? You may be able to skip the prepoo if you aren't using a harsh shampoo and then use a really good moisturizing DC.

A good safe shampoo you could use is diluted castile soap (really diluted). Use the kind meant for babies. And make sure that when washing she isn't scratching/rubbing her scalp too hard because that may be causing her to strip all the natural oils and irritate the area.

jojoba oil is what I use. Great post:yep:

Jewell

I havent done a pre-poo on dry hair in years, but I find that Amla Oil on wet hair, as well as EVOO works best for me. I usually do oil rinses instead of pre-pooing. My hair is beginning to HATE shampoo except for the gentle shampoo bars I use.

againstallodds

so many ladies have said Amla oil, the PJ I'm me wants to try Amla oil too!... *leaving this thread right now before I start googling amla oil vendors*....

Last edited:

amwcah

I'm sitting here with coconut oil on my hair because it has been so dry after applying my relaxer. Alot of you have mentioned amla oil, which I have but it gives me a terrible itch.

ETA my results
I saturated my hair with coconut oil because of the dry, crunchy, tangled condition it was in. I placed a plastic cap on it and went to workout and do some household chores. I just removed it and my hair is tangle free, soft, and manageable. I know there was a reason I had this coconut oil on my dresser! :)

Last edited:

Smiley79

Hands down for me, I'd have to go with Olive Oil. My hair loves it for pre-poos. I also add some honey in it.

darlingdiva

I saturate my hair with EVOO and then apply 1 teaspoon of Burt's Bees Avocado Butter Pre-Shampoo Treatment :love3::love3::love3:. That stuff is the bomb!! I actually will guarantee that it will hydrate your dry tresses.

How it Works
Perming, coloring and styling can leave your hair looking dry and damaged. This luscious formula combines Avocado and Olive oils to penetrate and replenish natural moisture to your hair and scalp. Rosemary, almond oil and nettle extract condition your hair leaving it soft, with a glossy shine.

How to Use It
Massage a generous amount (amount will depend on the length of your hair) of the treatment into wet hair and scalp, and comb through from your scalp to your hair's ends. Leave the treatment on your hair for at least 5 minutes and up to 20 minutes for maximum conditioning. Shampoo and rinse well. Use weekly.

Ingredients: glycerin, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, avena sativa (oat) kernel protein, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil, lanolin, tocopherol, urtica dioica (nettle) leaf powder, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) powder, chlorophyll, fragrance

I must agree 100% w/ this post. This treatment is excellent! It really does cure dry hair. I have a special place in my heart for this product b/c it's one of the few that consistently worked when I started doing my own hair.

goodmorningruby

I swear by EVOO for pre poos. :love: EVOO is the one thing I know for sure that I will never stop using. I use EVOO as a detangler under running water prior to shampooing. My hair gets soooooooooooooo soft. :love: