Best Protective Styles

Chimma

A lot of us have experienced breakage on the sides and crown from the tension in low buns although I know it is a great protective style for the "tail" of my hair.

Some of us can't do french roll/twists (are the same thing right?) for naught! Maybe I just need some tips, but mine do not come out looking cute. I think its because I'm transitioning. A french roll with all relaxed hair would be pretty easy for me. I still imagine that I'd find an all natural french roll hard though.

And a few cornrows/french braids? I struggle with getting them smooth on my transitioning hair, but I am going to master them! They seem the most promising of the three I know. Any tips you guys have would be great though.

But those three are the only good protective styles I know that can keep your ends covered and leave no stress on your hairline. Does any one else know of other good ones that they really like? Any other updos or styles with ends tucked secretly out of site?

BlkHoneyLuv2U

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of us have experienced breakage on the sides and crown from the tension in low buns although I know it is a great protective style for the "tail" of my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has me worried, I just started wearing a bun, this is my second day to be exact and the thought of losing what little hair I've just regained in my temple area scares the *%#*&@ outta me. Oh please say it aint so, or tell me of another protective style where this wont happen too. Pleeease

BlkHoneyLuv2U

Good, cause I just started and would hate to have to go back to wearing my wig every day. I can now let my hair breathe a little. I dont pull it too tight since I'm very sensitive to stuff too tight on me any where. Cant stand it.

Chimma

I'd be a bit careful though. I never pulled the bun too tight, and I can't rarely remember using a brush to get the edges in but it still caused me breakage.

Chimma

Those three are the only protective styles that anyone knows of? Come on, you all can't be serious!

Karonica

1. bun
2. curly pinup
3. french roll
4. cornrows
5. braids
6. flexi-rod set (because no combing is involved and can last for days)
7. phonypony
8. twist-out (because no combing is involved and can last for days)
9. strawset (because no combing is involved and can last for days)
10. flat-twists
11. gel/comb twists
12. twists
13. any kind of pin-up that isn't done tight
14. bantu-knots
15. weave (done properly)
16. wig
17. instant weave
18. headwraps
19. silk/satin scarves

Give me a minute to think of some more.

Chimma

Thanks for all those styles Karonica!

But what's a comb twist or a flex-rod set or a curly pin-up? I've never heard of those?

Isis

I haven't mastered the flexi-rod styles yet although I have the set. It does make my waves shiny and bouncy. Any success anyone?

Isis

Also, I noticed braidouts were not mentioned. That is supposed to really look good with new growth coming in.

Karonica

Thanks, I forgot that one.

1. bun
2. curly pinup
3. french roll
4. cornrows
5. braids
6. flexi-rod set (because no combing is involved and can last for days)
7. phonypony
8. twist-out (because no combing is involved and can last for days)
9. strawset (because no combing is involved and can last for days)
10. flat-twists
11. gel/comb twists
12. twists
13. any kind of pin-up that isn't done tight
14. bantu-knots
15. weave (done properly)
16. wig
17. instant weave
18. headwraps
19. silk/satin scarves
20. braid-out

Karonica

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
I haven't mastered the flexi-rod styles yet although I have the set. It does make my waves shiny and bouncy. Any success anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

I always get mine done at the salon, although I'm going to buy myself some small ones for Christmas. I watched the hairdresser do someone else's and it looked really easy. She applied lottabody diluted with water to the girl's hair. Then, she wrapped the hair around the rod, and once it was wrapped tight, she twisted the rod in a weird shape so that the hair couldn't unravel, sorta bending each end inwards towards the center of the rod.

The girl had natural hair, so she added a big of brown gel to each piece of hair before rolling to knock out some of the curl and add hold. It came out beautiful.
I'm still wearing mine that I got done last Friday. I haven't combed in a week.

JenJen2721

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I always get mine done at the salon, although I'm going to buy myself some small ones for Christmas. I watched the hairdresser do someone else's and it looked really easy. She applied lottabody diluted with water to the girl's hair. Then, she wrapped the hair around the rod, and once it was wrapped tight, she twisted the rod in a weird shape so that the hair couldn't unravel, sorta bending each end inwards towards the center of the rod.

The girl had natural hair, so she added a big of brown gel to each piece of hair before rolling to knock out some of the curl and add hold. It came out beautiful.
I'm still wearing mine that I got done last Friday. I haven't combed in a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do you have to sleep pretty? Can you wrap your hair at night? You're so resourceful.

Karonica

I wear a satin bonnet. For the first day or two (when I need my style to look good for the next day, like going to church
), I try to let my head rest on my arm some when sleeping, rather than lay my whole head lay flat on the pillow. But, I don't sleep on my back, so it's okay. This is why I like my curls to be first done with some sort of setting product like Lottabody or gel, so that way, it's not completely mashed the very next day.

Also, I sprayed some liquid gel on my hair for hold, rather than spritz, which contains alcohol. I am a spritz fan (it will set your hair in place and it will not move for days)
but I came across something else - totally by accident. I originally bought this stuff called L'Oreal scrunching gel spray for scrunching my wet hair into waves, but since it worked horrible for that, I discovered it added a bit of crisp to hair. So, I spray this on my hair every few days. Same hold as spritz, but doesn't make hair half-way as hard, nor does it have alcohol.

Now, I pull all my curls back in a ponytail and slick down the edges, because I got tired of wearing them all out.

Isis

I have the largest size of flexi-rods, the purple ones for looser curls. Is this really protective for my hair because of less manipulation? What about my hair ends being exposed?

JenJen2721

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
Not really. The curls are starting to wilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's ok, but I know you were driving all the boys crazy when you first stepped outta the salon, though!

Karonica

[ QUOTE ]
JenJen2721 said:

That's ok, but I know you were driving all the boys crazy when you first stepped outta the salon, though!

[/ QUOTE ]

*blushing*

Karonica

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
I have the largest size of flexi-rods, the purple ones for looser curls. Is this really protective for my hair because of less manipulation? What about my hair ends being exposed?

[/ QUOTE ]

All of your hair is going to be exposed, not just the ends.
But since your hair will be in a coil shape, you won't have to worry about them rubbing too much on clothes and breaking. I only consider it protective because once the style is set, there's no manipulation needed like combing or brushing. You can oil your ends while it's in a flexi-set, but if you want extra protection for the ends, I think you're better off with the bun, french roll, that type of stuff.

Karonica

No prob. Yip, it applies to the others too. A curly pin-up is a bit different because your ends can be tucked, depending on how well you form it.

Lorraine

I just began wearing buns so this thread is very encouraging. I wear my buns to the side senorita style. I alternate from side to side/day to day. I also do weekends with scarves on my head like I'm Jackie O. LOL