Best protein treatments?

curlytwirly06

*RANT*

So I am in a bit of a funk right now. I just cut off 2-3 inches of hair. I feel like I do everything right and have been on this journey forever but never attain the long, healthy hair I want. I was so upset having to cut off that much because my hair did not seem like it had splits till I looked in the mirror.I had been dusting on and off every other month. I was so fed up because my growth has staled and been that way for about 2-3 years even though I have been changing my regimen and my hair feel awesome 99.9% of the time. I protective style 80% of the time, only use one tool lightly one day a week....I have no idea what I'm doing wrong and feel a bit helpless right now. I have super fine, thin,low density hair to begin with so retaining is not easy. I'm starting to believe in terminal length. Sigh.

*End Rant*

I need a new moderately priced effective protein treatment. So far I have not found anything that gave me results I could see. I have used :

Dudly's DRC
Aphogee 2 step
Aphogee 2min
Aphogee spray
Joico Kpak reconstructor
Aubrey organics GBP

Im sorry if this has been posted before...I cant search. Thank you.

CodeRed

I'm sorry this is happening. It sounds really frustrating. I went through that for a while...

After I'm finished with my "protein" treatments, I think I'm going to switch to things that have acted like protein treatments in the past, i.e. black tea rinses and coconut derivatives.

The black tea rinse made my hair strong and mildly "hard" and I softened it with a co-wash after. The coconut "derivatives" I'm talking about are basically anything coconut besides the meat and oil. Coconut oil made my hair hard, greasy and break so I decided to try the coconut water, milk and cream. The water I used as a rinse and made my hair slightly stronger and very shiny after only one use. The milk I mixed with a conditioner and it made my hair slightly softer but I didn't see a real difference. The cream, mixed with conditioner, made my hair strong but soft.

I used these during the time I took a break from traditional protein. I only started using them again because I thought I was missing something but I wasn't... Like I said, I think I'm going to start with the black teas when I'm done with some others and accompany them with some form of coconut water/cream. Maybe you can try this too. Hope it works. They're definitely cheaper than the alternative.

curlytwirly06

I'm sorry this is happening. It sounds really frustrating. I went through that for a while...

After I'm finished with my "protein" treatments, I think I'm going to switch to things that have acted like protein treatments in the past, i.e. black tea rinses and coconut derivatives.

The black tea rinse made my hair strong and mildly "hard" and I softened it with a co-wash after. The coconut "derivatives" I'm talking about are basically anything coconut besides the meat and oil. Coconut oil made my hair hard, greasy and break so I decided to try the coconut water, milk and cream. The water I used as a rinse and made my hair slightly stronger and very shiny after only one use. The milk I mixed with a conditioner and it made my hair slightly softer but I didn't see a real difference. The cream, mixed with conditioner, made my hair strong but soft.

I used these during the time I took a break from traditional protein. I only started using them again because I thought I was missing something but I wasn't... Like I said, I think I'm going to start with the black teas when I'm done with some others and accompany them with some form of coconut water/cream. Maybe you can try this too. Hope it works. They're definitely cheaper than the alternative.

Thanks so much for responding. I did see shine results when I used black / green tea rinses and decreased shedding but nothing major. As for coconut... my hair HATES that stuff. I have tried coconut butter, cream and oil. The oil gave me hard sticky hair, the cream acted like a layer over my hair and the coconut milk just gave me moderate softness. Truthfully i'm a bit scared of it. Thanks again though!

ronie

*RANT* So I am in a bit of a funk right now. I just cut off 2-3 inches of hair. I feel like I do everything right and have been on this journey forever but never attain the long, healthy hair I want. I was so upset having to cut off that much because my hair did not seem like it had splits till I looked in the mirror.I had been dusting on and off every other month. I was so fed up because my growth has staled and been that way for about 2-3 years even though I have been changing my regimen and my hair feel awesome 99.9% of the time. I protective style 80% of the time, only use one tool lightly one day a week....I have no idea what I'm doing wrong and feel a bit helpless right now. I have super fine, thin,low density hair to begin with so retaining is not easy. I'm starting to believe in terminal length. Sigh. *End Rant* I need a new moderately priced effective protein treatment. So far I have not found anything that gave me results I could see. I have used : Dudly's DRC Aphogee 2 step Aphogee 2min Aphogee spray Joico Kpak reconstructor Aubrey organics GBP Im sorry if this has been posted before...I cant search. Thank you.
Mil creek biotin conditioner is cheap and is very effective. I don't use it myself because of the aloe Vera in it. My sister uses it, and it works wonders for her. She has died natural hair that she flat irons monthly. I have been tempted to use it many times.

ronie

Mil creek biotin conditioner is cheap and is very effective. I don't use it myself because of the aloe Vera in it. My sister uses it, and it works wonders for her. She has died natural hair that she flat irons monthly. I have been tempted to use it many times.
Water, biotin, hydrolyzed keratin, hydrolyzed collagen, cetyl alcohol, Stearyl alcohol are the first 7 ingredients. It is PH balanced and is paraben and cone free. My sister has also tried all the others protein treatments you mentioned and some. Now her dyed hair stays beautiful and is retaining.

curlytwirly06

Water, biotin, hydrolyzed keratin, hydrolyzed collagen, cetyl alcohol, Stearyl alcohol are the first 7 ingredients. It is PH balanced and is paraben and cone free. My sister has also tried all the others protein treatments you mentioned and some. Now her dyed hair stays beautiful and is retaining.

I have this sitting in the top of my closet unused. Does it really work? How do you use it? With or without heat? Does it ever just sit on too of your hair? How about moisture?

ronie

I have this sitting in the top of my closet unused. Does it really work? How do you use it? With or without heat? Does it ever just sit on too of your hair? How about moisture?

I know she uses it many different ways once a week.
As a prepoo, then shampoo and moisture conditioner ( she uses some kind of conditioner for colored hair)
As a rinse out conditioner after shampoo
As a deep protein treatment overnight after shampoo followed by a long moisture deep conditioning session. She does this routine usually after flat iron. I do her hair often and i know it does not provide much moisture. She always follows with a moisturizing conditioner to balance it out. All 3 ways, it penetrates well into her hair. She is normal porosity despite her frequent flat iron and dye.

CodeRed

Thanks so much for responding. I did see shine results when I used black / green tea rinses and decreased shedding but nothing major. As for coconut... my hair HATES that stuff. I have tried coconut butter, cream and oil. The oil gave me hard sticky hair, the cream acted like a layer over my hair and the coconut milk just gave me moderate softness. Truthfully i'm a bit scared of it. Thanks again though!

Welcome :)

The Millcreek Keratin conditioner that was mentioned upthread is a good one too. It doesn't make your hair really hard. It's $6 - $10 for 16 oz depending on where you buy it.

mshoneyfly

My hair is fine and somewhat low density too. It is difficult to retain length for me so I feel your pain.

I tried the Joico k-pak too but think it was too strong so Now I only use directly after rinsing my texturizer.

I have found success with another Joico protein product...the Moisture Recovery in the blue bottles. I have the treatment balm, the poo and conditioner. I got the 1 liter bottles from Marshall's at a considerable discount. I really like them. It hydrates and strengthens my hair. I am finally seeing some improvement in my damaged hair.

Also like the Nexxus Emergency Polymedic treatment and the Infusium 23 leave in for shots of protein.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

neiiya

*RANT*

So I am in a bit of a funk right now. I just cut off 2-3 inches of hair. I feel like I do everything right and have been on this journey forever but never attain the long, healthy hair I want. I was so upset having to cut off that much because my hair did not seem like it had splits till I looked in the mirror.I had been dusting on and off every other month. I was so fed up because my growth has staled and been that way for about 2-3 years even though I have been changing my regimen and my hair feel awesome 99.9% of the time. I protective style 80% of the time, only use one tool lightly one day a week....I have no idea what I'm doing wrong and feel a bit helpless right now. I have super fine, thin,low density hair to begin with so retaining is not easy. I'm starting to believe in terminal length. Sigh.

*End Rant*

I need a new moderately priced effective protein treatment. So far I have not found anything that gave me results I could see. I have used :

Dudly's DRC
Aphogee 2 step
Aphogee 2min
Aphogee spray
Joico Kpak reconstructor
Aubrey organics GBP

Im sorry if this has been posted before...I cant search. Thank you.

I was going to say I have only used AOGBP out of your list. And I consider gbp to be a light protein.

I was also going to recommend Millcreek Organics Keratin as well. It is my staple protein. I buy it on vitacost for around $5.

julzinha

The BEST I've tried has been Neutral Protein Filler. It is pure protein, I've used Joico and Aphogee in the past and they were alright I still always experienced breakage. I used protein filler once and my breakage stopped completely especially the little hairs. It is my new holy grail, I plan on using it more often because I have breakage prone hair.

neiiya

Komaza Care Protein Strengthener. Best Protein treatment, hands-down (IMO, of course).

http://www.komazahaircare.com/protein-hair-strengthener.html

I bought this and received it Saturday because of this post! I used it today for the first time. I was a bit nervous since it contains quite a few different proteins. This treatment is amazing. My hair is coily and soft and not at all hard. I like how my hair feels even better than with my staple Millcreek Keratin! Wow! I am about to stock up.

Xaragua

The BEST I've tried has been Neutral Protein Filler. It is pure protein, I've used Joico and Aphogee in the past and they were alright I still always experienced breakage. I used protein filler once and my breakage stopped completely especially the little hairs. It is my new holy grail, I plan on using it more often because I have breakage prone hair.

What is the full name of the product, I use the komaza care protein strengthener and still experiencing breakage, i am thinking of switching.

abcd09

julzinha does it make your hair hard like aphogee? Aphogee gave me a horrible protein overload 5 years ago.

julzinha

Xaragua it is called Colorful Neutral Protein Filler. You can find it at Sally's. They have a 1.2 oz that I would recommend to see if you like the product. But I guarantee you'll love it. It is the BEST most affordable protein treatment. Nexus is great but the cost can be much.

abcd09 it definitely won't make your hair hard. It will feel strong, but not hard. But if that does happen do a light poo with a moisturizing poo like CON Argan Oil and follow with a DC.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I love Curl Junkie Repair Me. Keratin is within the first 5 ingredients and it does not leave your hair hard.

JustSitNBePretty

it is called Colorful Neutral Protein Filler. You can find it at Sally's. They have a 1.2 oz that I would recommend to see if you like the product. But I guarantee you'll love it. It is the BEST most affordable protein treatment. Nexus is great but the cost can be much.

julzinha how do you use this product? do you blow dry it until it hardens/dries?

Britt

I've been using Nexxus Emergencee for yearsssssssssssss, and I started adding the protein filler to it to give it extra umph. Now, I bought the Komaza protein conditioner and I kinda prefer that. It's cheaper and does the job. I also have CJ Repair Me, and I won't repurchase now that I have the Komaza. Komaza is a creamy protein and I was skeptical at first but southerncitygirl is always singing it's praises to me. I decided to try it and I really like it.

cynd

^ Ditto re Komaza protein conditioner. I also have fine, low density hair and this is the only thing I've found thus far that makes a positive difference that I can actually feel.

Last edited:

julzinha

JustSitNBePretty The directions on the bottle state that you should have 2 parts protein filler and one part water. I do mines a little differently, my last treatment was 2 tbsp protein filler and 1 tbsp AO GPB.

I use it after I've clarified and dried my hair. Then I apply the mix and let it sit for a few hours with a heat cap. You don't need to blow dry you hair at all. Afterwards just wash it out.

ETA: Protein Filler is a liquid.

The ingredients: Aqua, Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein (and) Wheat Oligosaccharides, Keratin Amino Acids, Aloe Barbadensis, Humullus Lupulus, Urfica Dioica, 1, 3, Bix(Hydroxymethyl)5, 5 Dimethylimidazolidine-2, 4Dione, Methyl ester 4 Hydrozxybenzoic Acid, Tetrasodium Edta, Polysorbate-20, Parfum

Last edited: