Best Salons/Stylists in Detroit Area...

FutureMD

Hey,
This message goes out to any members in the Detroit Metro area...I had a great hairdresser that I've lost track of (salon, called Culture Blur, closed, don't know where the owner went, I think it was open as late as August, but when I tried to get an appt. in Sept, it was gone)...so I'd like to get some names of the best salons/ stylists that anyone has been to in the area...I'm talking about places that really know healthy hair, are good at analyzing and properly processing the numerous hair types that we have. That's really a rare skill...there are so many hair textures and so many ways to properly process each one, and then there are your personal preferences (bone straight, texlaxed, etc.) I'm looking for someone who won't think that my hair needs to be fried to death b/c it's much thicker than average. I'm currently growing out my ruined hair thanks to a stupid cow of a hairdresser who decided that it was her right to put relaxer all over my perfectly texlaxed hair. We argued about it before she started, but it didn't occur to me that she'd slip it on and run off to have a smoke to force her way on me. At any rate, I need someone who won't try to match her shoddy work and who won't try to thin out my thick hair. Any suggestions? I need help, help, help. I have 5 months of new growth but I'm not going to anyone that is going to botch things and I'm going to have to get a flat iron or something before I trust any new people with my hair. No more chemicals on the first visit to anyone EVER!! I'd love to find the old stylist but have no idea how I could do that.
Oh, the analysis part is really, really important b/c the salon that employed the hair butcher said that they'll reimburse me for as long as it takes to get my hair back in shape, but they need to hear from another stylist that my hair is ruined and want an estimate about how long that will take. So pissed b/c i had my hair cut to it's shortest length to get the right processing all over and it was taken away with one bad salon visit. So I'm not doing a big chop and i want to be reimbursed until my hair is close to it's current length (it was maybe APL when it was wrecked, not sure what it would be when straightened after five months, but it's irrelevant since all of that hair is wrecked and i'm sure i'll want a few inches cut off).

mrsjohnson75

Try posting this in the "Salon Review Forum", I'm sure you will recieve more responses there and you may also want to do a search on the city name in that forum. Good luck!

Muze

well i have a friend named raphael and he works at salon 626 in detroit. he is absolutely fabulous in handling hair that is not chemically altered, and even with people with perms. since i don't straighten my hair much, i don't really go to him often but i'm sure he would love to do your hair. lol. i don't know if he is an analyst but you can talk to him and find out. i do know that he specializes in getting hair back healthy and growing.

salon 626 is on 10515 w. 7 mile. the shop number is 313-341-5814. tell him shanae' sent you so he will give you a good price! lol.

FutureMD

I posted to the Salon thread and so far nothing...and none of the info currently listed there about Detroit was helpful...it seems as though more people read it on this side...how do i get more responses?

caliber38

hey I go to a lady named Gloria at Macy's Premiere Salon inside Northland Mall. She uses Vitale sensitive scalp relaxer on me and I like it a lot. I go to Gloria every few months and she's a nice lady. PM me for the number if you are interested. I'm sorry that your wishes were not respected by your previous stylist. She was grimmy for that. Why was she arguing with you over your hair?

FutureMD

Thanks for everything so far...but I'd like to have a wide range of people to talk to...bumping for more responses, bump, bump, bump...

Suerte

There's a salon in Inkster called Salon Bouche. Here's the link. http://www.mysalononline.com/mc3/ They are really good and pay attention to making hair very healthy. The only use AA owned products and they have a deal on Tuesdays.

I have been there before. I got a press n curl a few times, a weave and also got a roller set there and I was happy with the results :yep:

They are off of Michigan in a plaza right across from 2 beauty supply stores. I think it's Michigan/Inkster road, right?

That ghettofied salon across the street (the one in the plaza with the BSS) will NEVER EVER get my business again. Between the barbers that are in there always up in your face trying to holla at you and then one of those barbers making refrence to the size of my breasts by way of "Damn that ***** got some BIG *** TITTAYS ooohwee".

I actually discovered Salon Bouche because I wound up walking out of the salon on the other side of the street. Their decor is lovely, the waiting area is nice, it looks like an upscale salon on the inside. If I was still down in Dearborn I'd still be going to them.

The woman who did my hair in Salon Bouche was very gentle and put up with my 'hair isms' as I like to call them because I'm extremely particular about my part and the front of my hair.

Ms.TahNai

Hey Ladies,

Thanks for this post! I actually went to Salon Bouche this past week and they have an outstanding deal on Tuesdays. It's called "Long Hair Tuesdays" where the relaxer is free and you pay $39.00 for the styling. My hair came out bouncy, shiny, black and healthy. Lenny G hooked me up! He is really passionate about doing hair which is what I needed; My old hairstylist seemed to be getting bored with doing my hair. I had him give me a thorough trim; all my other hair dressers used to clip my ends like they was scared, but Lenny really did an excellent job. I literally was feeling better as he was cutting the dead ends off. It costs an extra $15 for trim/cut. I paid a total of $54.00! This is the lowest price I've paid for my hair to be done since I've lived in Michigan. The salon is nice and the support staff who washed out my hair was so thorough, she had another set of eyes come and check to make sure that it was rinsed right. Of course it was, but because my hair was so thick, she wanted to make sure. I had to tip her for that. I definitely will be going back there!

Thanks LHCF ladies for sharing. I have a Puerto Rican friend at church that goes to Hartlett's and her hair always looks nice. I might try her out one day as well but I really liked my experience at Salon Bouche. Lenny is a trip too!

Ms.TahNai

Another good hair dresser near Detroit is Ashanti at Penthouse Hair Salon. She did a great job on my hair! She is located at 561 Hewitt in Ypsilanti, MI. 734-434-6419.

FutureMD

Hey,
I actually found a Dominican place (wound up growing out my relaxer and they do a great job when I want my hair straightened and even trimmed), but who are you recommending? I'm always curious to know what else is around, but I learned the hard way to start off slow with new people (no chemicals or cutting until I see proof that you know what you are doing and will listen-not that i see myself going back to the relaxer anytime soon).