better than BKT...keratin treatment

delp

http://www.pravana.com/v2/pro/login.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4by_fW5pKOs&feature=related

I just talked with the technical department about "Pravana Keratin Fusion Texture Control". It eliminates 90-100% curl and frizz. It really sounds fabulous. Denise there is Keratin infused into the hair during the straightening process to strengthen the hair like BKT. The keratin isn't as a heat protector. I am guessing you are thinking of their "keratin Fusion thermal Insulator" product.
The Pravana system adds the formaldehyde free keratin right to the reforming solution (which is cysteamine which is derived from the amino acid cysteine) and if it is processed thermally with a 450* flat iron like BKT it is permanent, if it is processed in room temperature it is less straight and lasts about 4 months. With a flat iron it is permanent like TR.
The other thing I love is that it can be processed in curlers for volume or with a flat iron for sleek straight hair.
This really sounds great.
It is like BKT but without the formaldehyde and aldehydes and it also lasts longer because of the additional step of the cysteamine gently rearranging the disulfide bonds.

http://www.lamasbeauty.com/talk/salon/messages/19418.html

I looked into this one a couple months ago and it's actually right along the lines of a regular relaxer - just a different main ingredient. I almost want to say it was the 'thio kind and it won't go with any other treatment - unlike bkt where you can get any chemical before or afterwards. I could be mistaken but it was definitely something that made me decide against it. I wish I could remember......

ebonylocs

I suppose if you were to use this Pravana, you would have to do your new growth only?

But then, if you were to use the room temperature process, then since it's temporary, would you have to do your whole head each time? And if so, wouldn't that be detrimental to your hair given that it contains cysteamine, which breaks di-sulphide bonds?

Last edited:

HeavenlySkies

There was some product at sallys that said something about permanently eliminates frizz and it had no ammonia luckily I didn't pick it up if it was in actuality a fake relaxer.

crazydaze911

The title of this thread confused me b/c i've had the BKT and the keratinA (nnote the 'A') and liked them both - they are both temporary - this other weird thing ur talking about can be permanent OR temporary - doesnt sound right to me - sounds like a relaxer or WORSE - naturalaxer - lol. Let us know how it goes with pics....

tuffCOOKiE

Keratina is a type of BKT.

I looked into Prevana before and, this is a permanent process. Also, is there anyway you can find out if they use ether instead of formaldehyde? I don't think its the same process at all actually.

SoCalli

Keratina is like the BKT w/out the formaldehyde. The results are similar but its not as strong and feels alittle less coated when u wash ur hair. Its temporary.

Hey Crazydaze,
Where can you get Keratina online? I've never heard of this one.

crazydaze911

How long is temporary? How many washes can the BKT last?

I dont know about washes but realistically its supposed to last 2 to 3 months depending on if ur hair is relaxed or natural (lasts longer on relaxed). I condish wash twice a week and shampoo wash one of those times with a mild shampoo. I am transitioning and think it lasts 2 months on me b/c of all my natural hair. at the salon they try to promise you it can last 6 months or longer - but i dont believe them - lol.

Hey Crazydaze,
Where can you get Keratina online? I've never heard of this one.

I dont know where you can get it on-line. i got mine done at a salon in bronx, ny. every time i try to look up straight 'keratina', all i see is stuff on BKT, and its definitely a different ingredient list/process. it must have a specific BRAND name that you can google, but the stylist didnt tell me this (he swore it was just keratina) and i dont know it :perplexed. They do have regular formaldehyde-free BKT on most of the sites i've seen posted on this board, but i've never tried it and cant compare.

SoCalli

I dont know about washes but realistically its supposed to last 2 to 3 months depending on if ur hair is relaxed or natural (lasts longer on relaxed). I condish wash twice a week and shampoo wash one of those times with a mild shampoo. I am transitioning and think it lasts 2 months on me b/c of all my natural hair. at the salon they try to promise you it can last 6 months or longer - but i dont believe them - lol.

I dont know where you can get it on-line. i got mine done at a salon in bronx, ny. every time i try to look up straight 'keratina', all i see is stuff on BKT, and its definitely a different ingredient list/process. it must have a specific BRAND name that you can google, but the stylist didnt tell me this (he swore it was just keratina) and i dont know it :perplexed. They do have regular formaldehyde-free BKT on most of the sites i've seen posted on this board, but i've never tried it and cant compare.

Thanks CD. That sucks. I'll try to find it on the web. I'm just worried that it won't be the same thing. The last time I bought BKT on ebay I ended buying the wrong thing! :( Now I'm stuck with it until I finish the bottle.

Lebiya

I would not consider her hair coarse! What's wrong with these people???

Ha!!

Nothing is wrong with these people, white folks think type 1 hair with a curl or two is coarse - they would have to invent a new word for my 4z hair

Last edited:

Lebiya

See just when I want to try a product, something comes up to change my mind.

All want is to temporarily unkink/loosen my curls for at least 10 hours or so to untangle, remove dead hair. Not go extreme and text, but i may have to cuz I think its impossible to find something that can work for me