BEWARE: Discontinued & Expired Products

Ballerina_Bun

If you choose to buy a discontinued product, please call the company and give them the code that is sometimes located on the bottom of the bottle. They can tell you when it was manufactured and what the shelf like is.

Also, look inside the bottle to check for discoloration and other things. Or, even pour it into a clear bottle.

WHY … :

I called the company that makes Nioxin today and they said that Thermal Bliss has been discontinued and that it should not be in distribution.

I have 2 bottles of Nioxin Thermal Bliss that were recently ordered from Amazon as a gift for me. My friend jokingly suggested that maybe I should call the company and check the expiration date just to be on the safe side, because of the CON shampoo bottle incident. I called the company and gave them the code on the bottom. They told me that it was made it 2003.

The product is good for 10 years up-opened. It is only good for 3 years after it has been opened.

I decided to look in the bottle and on the inside at the top of the “sprayer” mechanism, there appeared to be something that looked like yellow “snot”.

I had a bottle of new MNT detangler once and there was some green gelatinous blob inside and it wasn’t even expired :perplexed The MNT detangler incident was a couple of years ago. ETA: I only found out, because I poured some of it into a clear bottle. Otherwise, I may now have known :nono:

Please, if you get a product that may be discontinued and possibly old, call the company and look in the bottle before using it!

ETA: sorry for the typo's :ohwell:

Last edited:

LittleLuxe

Incredibly good advice! Thank you! I know I'm not the only individual who is ready to rescue a discontinued item from some storage because they think it'll be goo d for the hair.

virtuenow

Are you talking about Nioxin Thermal Biss HEAT PROTECTOR? This is a very good product-- the best heat protectant I have encountered. Guess I better stock up

virtuenow

If you choose to buy a discontinued product, please call the company and give them the code that is sometimes located on the bottom of the bottle. They can tell you when it was manufactured and what the shelf like is.

Also, look inside the bottle to check for discoloration and other things. Or, even pour it into a clear bottle.

WHY … :

I called the company that makes Nioxin today and they said that Thermal Bliss has been discontinued and that it should not be in distribution.

I have 2 bottles of Nioxin Thermal Bliss that were recently ordered from Amazon as a gift for me. My friend jokingly suggested that maybe I should call the company and check the expiration date just to be on the safe side, because of the CON shampoo bottle incident. I called the company and gave them the code on the bottom. They told me that it was made it 2003.

The product is good for 10 years up-opened. It is only good for 3 years after it has been opened.

I decided to look in the bottle and on the inside at the top of the “sprayer” mechanism, there appeared to be something that looked like yellow “snot”.

I had a bottle of new MNT detangler once and there was some green gelatinous blob inside and it wasn’t even expired :perplexed The MNT detangler incident was a couple of years ago. ETA: I only found out, because I poured some of it into a clear bottle. Otherwise, I may now have known :nono:
Please, if you get a product that may be discontinued and possibly old, call the company and look in the bottle before using it!

ETA: sorry for the typo's :ohwell:

This is what their website says about shelf life and it makes more sense:
"NIOXIN® products have 36-month shelf life. However, once the product has been open for more than 12 months it may not be as effective as it once was."

Last edited:

kellistarr

Thank You for posting this. Yuck! The thought of harboring some nasty, molded product in my stash gives me the chills. I always check out the product because I'm just that way, but even with new stuff, I'll make sure to do as good an inspection as I can.

SilentRuby

Man, after watching westndnbeauty's vid, I was just about to try out Nioxin Thermal Bliss. I hate that but thanks for the heads up OP...and I guess I can throw away all of that Skala now.

ambs_0587

Hate to hijack but are there any thermal protectors comparable to Nioxon Thermal Bliss??

Sent from my Desire HD using Desire HD

virtuenow

Hate to hijack but are there any thermal protectors comparable to Nioxon Thermal Bliss??

Sent from my Desire HD using Desire HD

I agree, I won't stop until someone answers this question. How is that Aphogee spray; what about Carols daughters black something spray?

ms.blue

Nioxin thermal bliss is my avorite blowdry heat protectant. I'm going to need to find a replacement.:nono:

MRJ1972

Thanks OP

I ordered a bottle from Amazon recently. I guess this will be my first and final run with this product :(

I need to call to make sure my bottle is not expired! :nono:

virtuenow

Here's the Aphogee spray. I was considering it b/c it uses keratin protein as the main ingredient like Nioxin. Here's the link & reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Aphogee-Kerat...2P12/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1315967581&sr=8-2

The second one I've considered is this, Carols Daughter Black Vanilla leave in, but the ingredients don't seem to have much substance, check out the reviews & see for yourself:
http://www.amazon.com/Carols-Daught...sr_1_2?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1315968066&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.com/New-DAUGHTER-...sr_1_7?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1315968066&sr=1-7

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Wow OP. I'm sorry but this seems to be a trend with Nioxin products. I definitely won't order their products online and deal with local purchases from their product line only.

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
Thank you OP for the heads up. I have a bottle that I ordered in Sept. last year and have used twice. I'll open it up and have a look when I get home. What's up with nioxin lately though, did they sell to a parent company or something?

Ballerina_Bun

Thank you OP for the heads up. I have a bottle that I ordered in Sept. last year and have used twice. I'll open it up and have a look when I get home. What's up with nioxin lately though, did they sell to a parent company or something?

I don't know that it is Nioxin’s fault. I think pretty much anyone can sell products on amazon that could be expired and/or discontinued. We do not know if they have been opened. We do not know if they have been returned and resold. But then again, that's the nature of purchasing anything.