Bible Memorization -let’s Memorize Scripture Together

nikkiheaven

Ok guys! So I didn’t want the momentum to die. As stated, I think it’s a good idea to try to memorize scripture as a group. I for one struggle with this and then when the enemy attacks, I have nothing to fight with. Please let us know if you’re in by responding to this thread. Also, if you have any ideas as to how we should select scripture, please share. I think we should start out by choosing which version of the Bible we will we studying from. Let’s get it ladies!

nikkiheaven

So here we go. I’ll start with the first verse to memorize. I figure anybody could pick a verse, I suggest picking one that will help you in whatever situation, good or bad, that you’re going through. This way you are more motivated to memorize. Once you select the scripture, let’s read the chapter that it is in in its entirety, so that we are sure what the scripture is saying. If you select and post a scripture, please select how many days we should focus on that scripture. Always pray and seek understanding before we began. If you’re memorizing a scripture with us, let us know. We will all check in at the stated date to affirm whether or not the scripture has been memorize and share thoughts, praise reports, and move on to the next scripture.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Here, Mark 11: 20-24, is the immediate context (verses are in the NKJV):

The Lesson of the Withered Fig Tree
20 Now in the morning, as they passed by, they saw the fig tree dried up from the roots. 21 And Peter, remembering, said to Him, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree which You cursed has withered away.”

22 So Jesus answered and said to them, “Have faith in God. 23 For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says. 24 Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I am curious about the meaning of this--about whether there is a deeper or different meaning than one would think.

I wonder this because once, in Sunday school, the teacher said:

"Suppose two christian schools' soccer teams are playing a match against each other and both teams have players who pray with faith to win that match with a higher score. Both prayers cannot be answered with a yes. Talk to me, class."

I had never heard that before, and it sparked a lot of discussion. A woman whose hands had gotten burned and mangled, who suffered from depression because her life was thus challenging and men would hardly date her, shared how people tell her the reason God hasn't healed her hands is because she doesn't have enough faith when she prays for her hands to be healed. They cite scriptures such as Mark 11:20-24.

I went to her house that day and took her out to eat soon after, she was so lonely and my heart was breaking for her. She told me, "Whatever you do, please don't tell hurting people 'to just have (more) faith.' I have faith. I've been praying about this for so long, in faith. I still cry. And my tears don't mean I don't have faith, okay?"

I hugged her and told her "I know, sis. And I love you."

I bring all of this up because it's important how we make people feel when we use scriptures. I think we have to be thoughtful sometimes.

So this scripture may feel great to some people, but feel stressful or condemning to others.

How do you guys make sense of this scripture when, for example, an entire congregation prays for someone's healing, and the congregation does not "receive what they asked for in prayer."

Do you concede limits to this passage?

Food for thought.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
So . . . I don't know how I feel about every translation, but to address situations like the above, I have tried to read scriptures in parallel (e.g., the NIV next to the KJV next to the NLT, etc.).

The Message translation stems from the philosophy that meaning gets lost sometimes because we can't "hear" the words and phrases the way the 1st Century folks would have. So a person who studies those meanings says he tried to convey them in the Message.

IDK :lol:. But this may be helpful:

Mark 11:22-25 The Message (MSG)
22-25 Jesus was matter-of-fact: “Embrace this God-life. Really embrace it, and nothing will be too much for you. This mountain, for instance: Just say, ‘Go jump in the lake’—no shuffling or shilly-shallying—and it’s as good as done. That’s why I urge you to pray for absolutely everything, ranging from small to large. Include everything as you embrace this God-life, and you’ll get God’s everything. And when you assume the posture of prayer, remember that it’s not all asking. If you have anything against someone, forgive—only then will your heavenly Father be inclined to also wipe your slate clean of sins.”

Lastly, the Amplified version may also help. I don't know anything about the underlying translation philosophy yet.

Mark 11:23-24 Amplified Bible (AMP)
23 I assure you and most solemnly say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be lifted up and thrown into the sea!’ and [a]does not doubt in his heart [in God’s unlimited power], but believes that what he says is going to take place, it will be done for him [in accordance with God’s will]. 24 For this reason I am telling you, whatever things you ask for in prayer [in accordance with God’s will], believe [with confident trust] that you have received them, and they will be given to you.

nikkiheaven

Ok, those translations are good! I think I will use this method also. I don’t have an answer to what you asked. I chose this scripture because it is something I needed to get in my spirit. I’m unemployed and have been really down about it as I’m the breadwinner in my home. I found myself beginning to question God, and the reality is we don’t get everything we asked for. I made up my mind to stop questioning God and further confusing myself and exercise my faith muscles. To everything in prayer. The truth is if I knew the answers to everything I wouldn’t need God! I’m still trying to figure out what the fig tree represents?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Ok, those translations are good! I think I will use this method also. I don’t have an answer to what you asked. I chose this scripture because it is something I needed to get in my spirit. I’m unemployed and have been really down about it as I’m the breadwinner in my home. I found myself beginning to question God, and the reality is we don’t get everything we asked for. I made up my mind to stop questioning God and further confusing myself and exercise my faith muscles. To everything in prayer. The truth is if I knew the answers to everything I wouldn’t need God! I’m still trying to figure out what the fig tree represents?

Yes. I love it.

I'm praying for your perfect job!

My faith reached a point where I was tested in a "Though He slay me, yet with I serve Him" way. Where I was being asked whether I valued the Gifter/Giver or the gift more. Where I just had to trust His love and provision even while praying and trusting for change. (Sometimes it's so challenging!) Where I had to be willing to look at the difficult aspects of seemingly black-and-white scriptures like Mark 11:24 and be honest and open with people, because their faith was hanging on by a thread and the bible tells us to always be ready to give an answer.

I'm learning as I live more: When, for example, a 15 year-old Christian prays and believes for her mom to survive and she dies, we need those who have the gift of knowledge and teaching and wisdom to help that teen grapple with Mark 11:24 without thinking either the bible is false or Christianity is not real. That's why I love to meditate on scripture and seek deeper understanding. I'm so grateful for the Holy Spirit and preachers and teachers and authors who help guide us.

I love your goal so much. It's very encouraging and strong!

nikkiheaven

Ok, so I’ve been studying it, and the fig tree represents Gods power. Right? He tells us to have faith. As I journey through my current trial, I keep reciting He promised me! I have to believe in the promise and not the circumstance! Hallelujah! Just saying it gives me peace!

nikkiheaven

Yes. I love it.

I'm praying for your perfect job!

My faith reached a point where I was tested in a "Though He slay me, yet with I serve Him" way. Where I was being asked whether I valued the Gifter/Giver or the gift more. Where I just had to trust His love and provision even while praying and trusting for change. (Sometimes it's so challenging!) Where I had to be willing to look at the difficult aspects of seemingly black-and-white scriptures like Mark 11:24 and be honest and open with people, because their faith was hanging on by a thread and the bible tells us to always be ready to give an answer.

I'm learning as I live more: When, for example, a 15 year-old Christian prays and believes for her mom to survive and she dies, we need those who have the gift of knowledge and teaching and wisdom to help that teen grapple with Mark 11:24 without thinking either the bible is false or Christianity is not real. That's why I love to meditate on scripture and seek deeper understanding. I'm so grateful for the Holy Spirit and preachers and teachers and authors who help guide us.

I love your goal so much. It's very encouraging and strong!

So in your example, how would you explain it to the 15 year old?

Sarabellam

Can I join you all? I’m trying to redirect myself towards joining others in my faith. Sorry for the late night ramblings.

I’ve grappled with this too. The connect that I’ve made to put my own mind at ease is that our prayers are like the requests of a child. God listens not just to our words but to what our heart is calling out for. Jesus is God so his words were His true meaning.

On top of all of this is His ultimate will. Our goal should always be to have his will in place on earth. That’s a short and sweat way to explain it. All of these combine in a complex way when we are receiving God’s response to our prayers.

God can move mountains and extend the time until our loved ones pass. But when it is truly time for one of us to pass then that has to occur. When we cry out to Him then He hears us really crying out for comfort, shelter, and whatever else we need. As long as we continue to turn towards him, we will receive it. Furthermore, It’s not that it’s wrong to ask for these things that are not directly in line with his will, bc we can’t always know what it is. He listens and gives us what we need. Just never turn away.

When we pray for these with a timeline (winning this ___), what are we really saying? Are we testing God, giving him a deadline to perform a miracle to ensure our allegiance? Of course not (in most cases)! But God hears what we are really asking for long term and gets us there in whatever way necessary as long as we keep turning to him.

If we have slipped into testing God or using him to get to those things that we are actually idolizing then we need to examine what our motivations are. Ex. If I only turn to God when I need money. I only believe that he cares for me when I have a lot of money. Then maybe having a season without money is God’s way of redirecting me fully towards Him because now I can have experiences with Him when I’m not distracted by my idol, money. Even in those situations he’s not punishing me or turning his back on me, he’s clearing a path so that I can come closer.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Can I join you all? I’m trying to redirect myself towards joining others in my faith. Sorry for the late night ramblings.

I’ve grappled with this too. The connect that I’ve made to put my own mind at ease is that our prayers are like the requests of a child. God listens not just to our words but to what our heart is calling out for. Jesus is God so his words were His true meaning.

On top of all of this is His ultimate will. Our goal should always be to have his will in place on earth. That’s a short and sweat way to explain it. All of these combine in a complex way when we are receiving God’s response to our prayers.

God can move mountains and extend the time until our loved ones pass. But when it is truly time for one of us to pass then that has to occur. When we cry out to Him then He hears us really crying out for comfort, shelter, and whatever else we need. As long as we continue to turn towards him, we will receive it. Furthermore, It’s not that it’s wrong to ask for these things that are not directly in line with his will, bc we can’t always know what it is. He listens and gives us what we need. Just never turn away.

When we pray for these with a timeline (winning this ___), what are we really saying? Are we testing God, giving him a deadline to perform a miracle to ensure our allegiance? Of course not (in most cases)! But God hears what we are really asking for long term and gets us there in whatever way necessary as long as we keep turning to him.

If we have slipped into testing God or using him to get to those things that we are actually idolizing then we need to examine what our motivations are. Ex. If I only turn to God when I need money. I only believe that he cares for me when I have a lot of money. Then maybe having a season without money is God’s way of redirecting me fully towards Him because now I can have experiences with Him when I’m not distracted by my idol, money. Even in those situations he’s not punishing me or turning his back on me, he’s clearing a path so that I can come closer.

Love this!

nikkiheaven

Yes, I've found myself in a place where I'm truly trying to put a timeline on God. I see all my needs, and don't see how it's possible if I don't find work. However, I've moved to a place, where I've asked for, and I know God is real, so I know he will do just what he says. Yes, love this, always turn to God -- in good and in bad.