BIG CHOP gift ideas for friends BIRTHDAY **PLEASE HELP!

Beauty4Ashes

Hey Ladies!

My friend will be turning 23 in a couple of weeks and has decided to do the BC for her birthday :present:(She's been transitioning for 6 months).:spinning:

I am making a gift basket with the following items:

1. Instructional/Inspirational Hair Album
2. Shampoo, Conditioner, Moisturizers, etc
3. Denman Brush, other hair tools
4. Earrings, headbands & scarves
5. Fotki Membership
6. Nappturality.com Membership

BUT, I would love to hear from fellow BCers regarding #2 and #3. What products/hair tools would you recommend purchasing?

She's new to this hair care thing and her hair has been braided throughout the entire transition. She's already scheduled a hair appointment with a braider just in case she doesn't feel comfortable with her hair after the BC. I want to do everything possible to make her feel happy & pleased with her hair so she can skip the hair appointment, lol.

Any suggestion is appreciated and if you think of something not on the list please mention it!

Thanks

I have nothing to add because I am no where near a BC but I think that your gesture is GREAT!
2.gif

Oh and don't forget naturallycurly.com

Wow you are a good friend!!

Here are my suggestions (I only put in things you can probably get locally, I would recommend some online stuff but I'm not sure about the shipping):

Shampoo: I'd get her castile soap
Conditioner: Giovanni Smooth as Silk, AOHSR
Moisturizers: Maybe some shea butter, veggie glycerin, AVG?
Maybe include some oils too.

Tools: Denman is good, how about a wide toothed comb too? Also ouchless headbands, satin cap or scarf

Nina_Def - Love the smiley and I never knew about naturallycurly - Thanks!

KCcurly - On my way to check your fotki for more inspiration:grin: Where could I purchase castile soap and pure shea butter? There are tons of asian, african, indian,etc stores nearby can I find it at any of these?

I second KCcurly's list! You can buy Castile soap and Giovanni hair care products from GNC and Target's. They both carry Dr. Bronner's brand of castile soap. You should be able to shea butter from an African store.

shaffawn, I can find castile soap at Kroger and Target here. We don't have a lot of indian/african/etc stores here, but I find my shea butter at a health food's store. But I imagine that an african store might have it. Make sure it is unrefined and raw. HTH.

PS I wish I'd had someone getting me tons of neat stuff for my BC :lachen:

Your such a great friend. The ladies have given you great ideas already.

I think you could get her one of those seamless wooden wide tooth combs. A good oil is castor oil, its one of my staples. I hear good things about the Extra virgin coconut oil too, but I haven't tried it yet.

Oh and for a leave in conditioner or base for other products, she can use the giovanni direct leave in.

You are such a good friend! What about a membership here, lol? Also some ornamental items, like Hair Zings or something like that.

Sorry for the late response everyone, I've been out all day looking for gift items and just got out of church, Anywho...............

I found some really cute scarves & headbands today and it is hard trying to resist the temptation to keep 1 or 2 for myself, lol. :rolleyes:

I've read your responses but now I have many questions*lol* so I'll research them first & if I can't find the answer then I'll come back(never heard of hair zings and what the heck is castille soap?!?!? :grin:)

THANKS again to ALL of you for your suggestions:kisses:

Wow I need
a friend like you....:grin:
You should also add some essential
oils in the basket!!!

How about silk/satin pillowcases and a membership to Sallys Beauty CLub. This gives her an opportunity to try new products without breaking the bank. I think a years membership is $5.00. HTH

Such a GOOD friend you are! :flowers:

Wow I need
a friend like you....:grin:
You should also add some essential
oils in the basket!!!

LOL - Well, I've known her for over 10yrs and she's like a sister to me. I'm transitioning as well but she's much braver than me...I'm not BCing until the end of the year!

Do you have any recommendations on a particular oil & how do you use them for your haircare? I purchased some a few years ago to help mask the infamous MTG oil.....

How about silk/satin pillowcases and a membership to Sallys Beauty CLub. This gives her an opportunity to try new products without breaking the bank. I think a years membership is $5.00. HTH

Such a GOOD friend you are! :flowers:

Wow!!! Didn't know that about Sally's - I thought the card was only for professionals...I have some satin fabric laying around so I might just make her a pillowcase

shaffawn, I can find castile soap at Kroger and Target here. We don't have a lot of indian/african/etc stores here, but I find my shea butter at a health food's store. But I imagine that an african store might have it. Make sure it is unrefined and raw. HTH.

PS I wish I'd had someone getting me tons of neat stuff for my BC :lachen:

:grin: @ bolded......it's for her birthday and her BC is all she's talked about since November*lol*

Ok, I'll check out Kroger tomorrow for the soap. I peeked at your album and I think my friend's hair is your texture but maybe not as thick. However, we really won't know until she BC's. Her mom permed her hair at an early age so she has no clue of her texture:perplexed

LOL - Well, I've known her for over 10yrs and she's like a sister to me. I'm transitioning as well but she's much braver than me...I'm not BCing until the end of the year!

Do you have any recommendations on a particular oil & how do you use them for your haircare? I purchased some a few years ago to help mask the infamous MTG oil.....

Your such a sweet person!
I'm BCing next year! Good luck on yours
and please post pics..
Well I make my own moisturizing
"grease" for my hair it consists of
various Essential Oils, here is
one recipe:

Unrefined Shea butter
EV Coconut oil
Rosemary
Peppermint
Lemon or Rose or Lavender oil *Scent purposes*
Castor oil
Avocado oil

*Essentials oils like
peppermint/rosemary
help stimulate the scalp and I love the
scent and ..they are great in pre-poos and I
add a little bit to my leave in conditioners*
Make sure you dilute them with a carrier
oil though..it can be harmful and become an irritant
to your scalp if used alone..
carrier oils such as jojoba, EVVO, EV avocado oil
are my favorite.

Hope this helps!

Wow you are a good friend!!

Here are my suggestions (I only put in things you can probably get locally, I would recommend some online stuff but I'm not sure about the shipping):

Shampoo: I'd get her castile soap
Conditioner: Giovanni Smooth as Silk, AOHSR
Moisturizers: Maybe some shea butter, veggie glycerin, AVG?
Maybe include some oils too.

Tools: Denman is good, how about a wide toothed comb too? Also ouchless headbands, satin cap or scarf
This is what I'm planning on doing for one of my sisters for Mother's Day. Along with some goodies I'm putting some recipes in the basket and maybe a few containers to put her concoctions in.

Back