BIG TRIM grow out challenge....

Tracy

There may be a challenge like this on the baord already, I can never keep track, but in case there isn't...

I'm doing one!

I got a big trim this weekend while in NY - 3 inches - and have completely arrested my shedding and breaking. I don't have pics yet, but I'll post when I do.

I miss the length, but I'm excited that my hair feels and behaves so much better, and am looking forward to a much more pleasant gorw out. I consider it a setback, because I lost so much length (I'm now about 2 inches past shoulders again) but not a terrible one because I get to enjoy the results of this setback...

I got to work right away conditioning it well. I washed it and lost 2 hairs - if that. I hope my hair is at least close to it's former length from the end of July by Christmas. If I'm lucky I'll be back to my January length pics by next summer.

I won't be lightening it anymore until it's brastrap length and then I'll only get highlights.

The challenge will be to get back to my former length over the course of the next year. The method will be taking extra good care of my hair and treating it well, using the lessons I learned that caused this setback. If you've recently trimmed to correct a problem or get rid of some damage, or simply decided to go ahead with your big chop on the road to being natural - feel free to join...

Your goal can be whatever feels reasonable to you in light of the amount cut, and what you know about your hair. The challenge is to do everything we know works, and none of the things that don't, regain lost ground and move on from there...

The idea is more support based than goal based - I just figured since so many of us are having this done recently, that it may be nice to have people to moan with about new styling challenges, and to cheer eachother on as we add those inches back, inch by inch.

At the end of the year we can report how much we regained of our length...and decide when the next check in should be.

Any takers?

Carefree

I'm in - I kinda sorta started already. I had a major cut back in June (about 2.5 - 3 inches). At first I was heated, but I grew to appreciate the cut because it got rid of alot crunchy ends and some of the color that I'm trying to grow out. Right now I'm in the grow-out phase, I've been wearing my hair in twists for over a month now (retwisting weekly) and plan to only dust my ends when necessary. I'm hoping to regain some of my lost length with this method.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
ive thought about getting a major trim while I transition to natural but it is something I have to really think about because i cant stand having short hair!

J

JenniferMD

Count me in! I got my BT two weeks ago and I'm lovin' it
I lost some length but my hair is thicker and healthier looking. It's my goal is to still make it to brastrap before the end of next year (2005).

blackhair

I got a BC early this month -september04. My hair is now at the top of my neck. I do not think I can have brastrap before the end of 2005 but at least I hope to grow healthty hair. My regimen will be bun challenge for one year. Wash/and deep cond once a week and frequent moisture (water, oil). Count me in

Tracy

Yay! Partners!

I'm also on Bo's bun challenge, the 365 challenge, The Wanakee challenge, and the no heat challenge. I think I'm on some others too.

The real challenge is going to be using what I know to make this a better growout journey. I'm figurig with all I've learned and a consistent regime (another challenge I'm on
), I should get there faster and my hair will look better when I "arrive".

inthepink

I will join. I had a HUGE trim 2 weeks ago. I guess it's not really a "challenge" for me but more of a hope...and with that hope, I will practice good things so that I don't prevent nature from taking it's course! I am basically trying to be consistent with my regimen, not using products I know are not good for my hair, keeping my hair & ends moisturized, wearing protective but loose styles, and trimming as needed.

J

JenniferMD

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:

Yay! Partners!

I'm also on Bo's bun challenge, the 365 challenge, The Wanakee challenge, and the no heat challenge. I think I'm on some others too.

The real challenge is going to be using what I know to make this a better growout journey. I'm figurig with all I've learned and a consistent regime (another challenge I'm on

[/ QUOTE ]

Tracy, I'm surprised your "real" challenge isn't keeping up with all the challenges you're in

I wish everybody on this challenge the best. Now that I have this BT behind me I can grow my hair and only do baby trims when absolutely necessary.

Tracy

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
I guess it's not really a "challenge" for me but more of a hope...and with that hope, I will practice good things so that I don't prevent nature from taking it's course! I am basically trying to be consistent with my regimen, not using products I know are not good for my hair, keeping my hair & ends moisturized, wearing protective but loose styles, and trimming as needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY Hairlove.

itismehmmkay

I'm down!

I just did a corrective relaxer tonight (yeah, I know I wasn't supposed to). I plan to daily wash, use Infusium 23 and mango butter for my flat-twists. I'll also be using that oil concoction of castor oil, WGO, and coconut. Also, I plan on trimming my ends every month

Tracy

[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:
[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:

Yay! Partners!

[/ QUOTE ]

Tracy, I'm surprised your "real" challenge isn't keeping up with all the challenges you're in

[/ QUOTE ]

I should post a regime for keeping up challenges!

It should all get me to the same place I guess.....

I am loving my trim though. I just took out my rollers and I'm gonna wrap it and take pics tonight. I already like the shape and the minimmized hair loss so much better. I'm going to do a rinse in Neutral Brown next wash. Just to enrich the color, and shine it up a bit.

I look forward to only trimming when needed (with relaxers mostly ) as well. I'm also going to save trims for when I take a trip to NY. I want to go back to the lady who gave my cut.

It's got a lot of long layers and she neatened (and shortened) up the front layers nicely. Even if I don't see her for another six months, I can already tell it's going to grow out well.

I got a long version of that Mandy Moore cut I liked.

J

JenniferMD

[ QUOTE ]
itismehmmkay said:
I'm down!

I just did a corrective relaxer tonight (yeah, I know I wasn't supposed to). I plan to daily wash, use Infusium 23 and mango butter for my flat-twists. I'll also be using that oil concoction of castor oil, WGO, and coconut. Also, I plan on trimming my ends every month

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a good idea to trim your hair every month. In my opinion, you'll be forcing yourself to trim even when there's nothing to trim leading to the loss of potential gained length. Trimming when necessary is a better plan. I don't want you to be discouraged 6 months later when you don't notice any new length.

auntybe

I'm in too. I had a 2 inch trim in July. I am due to get another inch trimed off in two weeks. I want to blend the melted off area(that was another thread) more.

Auntybe

moneychaser

I'm in. I had a minor trim 3 weeks ago. Its shorter, but Im also loving this new thickness. I'm anticipating bra-strap by the end of this year, then I will be cutting it even all over

sengschick

The Bun Master
Well maybe this was the encouragement I needed to BT. I was going to delay my Dominican, but I guess I'll go get it and then BT. For me a BT is an inch, I know @ least 1/2" must go, but an inch would probably do wonders. Maybe if I do it now, it'll be less painful than setting myself back once I approach brastrap
. I'm still debating

itismehmmkay

[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:
[ QUOTE ]
itismehmmkay said:
I'm down!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a good idea to trim your hair every month. In my opinion, you'll be forcing yourself to trim even when there's nothing to trim leading to the loss of potential gained length. Trimming when necessary is a better plan. I don't want you to be discouraged 6 months later when you don't notice any new length.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right Jennifer
. Maybe I won't trim every month, but definitely I plan to stay on some regular trimming ritual until I can say I've gotten most of my damaged ends off. Wait....lol........maybe I can't be apart of the challenge. I really didn't do any big trim as it says. I had planned on gradually doing my "BIG" trim. Make sense? I still need a support group challenge though.

Chaya

Tracy-
I am so with you on this challenge! I just got a HUGE trim a couple of weeks ago when I got my relaxer. I walked into the shop with my hair frizzy and curly and I asked the lady until my hair was relaxed and rollerset before trimming and she told me that it would be better if she trimmed it now. Okay well she trimmed a LIL TOO MUCH! Granted my hair looks nice, but my hair was not SHOT before!!!!Anyways the hair is gone so I must grow it!

Here is a little background on my current situation. I am dancing professional twice a week and I must wear my hair down during rehearsals NO EXCEPTIONS! So I usually end up shampoo washing my hair after the first practice and condition wash my hair after the second practice.

Shampoo wash regimine:
Pre treat: Reconstructor conditioner like dumb blonde on dry hair concentrating on the ends
Shampoo: Wash hair concerntrating on the roots and scalp with Redken Smooth down shampoo
Protein Conditioner (with/without heat): Protein like Aubrey GPB, Emergencee, Elasta QP breakage serum
Moisture Conditioner: 10 en 1, Redken Smooth down Butter treat
Leave in: Lacio Lacio or Salerm 21
Serum: Redken Heat glide
Spray bottle: Kera care setting lotion and water (saturate hair)
Style: Rollerset hair with gray rollers/end papers and clips and sit under the dryer/air dry hair
Wrap hair under silk scarf and go to bed!!!

Condition wash: The only difference is the shampoo step
Condition wash with Aussie Slip or Redken Smooth down condiioner
Deep condition with Aubrey GPB
Leave ins, serum and style is all the same

I hope this works. My hair has been growing like crazy before so I didnt make much changes to my steps except eliminating my Chi flat iron and adding the PROTEIN conditioner everytime.

Thanks ladies!

Chaya

Oh yeah,
I will not be trimming for the rest of this year. Next trim will hopefully be Jan 2005!

Tracy

I'm so glad so many people are in!

For itsme - no problem if you want to trim gradually. A challenge like this will help you stick to cutting what you need to (or, it would me
) and make feel not so bad about getting each increment of your trim over with.

Dreamssold - Any trim that feels big to you is a big trim.

You guys regimes sound great. I just posted pics in my album. Tracy's Cut . They're in my progress pics album. The wierd thing is, since I cut I expected my hair to reflect a change in length measuringwise, but it didn't. My hair is still 19 inches. I think its because she trimmed it into layers, and I measure from the hairline to the longest layer - which she may have left intact...anyway...

As you can see it certainly LOOKS shorter.
I'm enjoying the thicker ends myself, but I do miss the length. I think encouraging eachother to continue to be patient as our hair grows back to it's former glory is going to really help. At least, it will help me.

Thanks for jumping aboard guys!

AudraChanell

I didnt have a BT, but I would love one! The hair always styles much easier and has a better flow after a good trim. Now you ladies have me wanting a trim (lol) I just don't need one. I will just check in on you ladies!

However, I am in the bra strap by 2005 challenge. It will take me the whole year to get to goal.

*Good luck and get it growing ladies!*

DelightfulFlame

Count me in! I cut a lot of my hair back in July. I only was left with 2-3 inches. I'm happy to announce that I am already at 3-4 inches right now. So, now with this challenge I plan to eat right, exercise, drink water, take my vitamins, and be extra gentle to my hair (protective styles). If my hair grew back that fast without all of that, I look forward to this challenge to see how fast it will grow in the future!

J

JenniferMD

Tracy your trim looks great! I put some pics of my trim in my album too.

jainygirl

I'm in!!!
i cut 2.5 inches about 2 weeks ago when i did my touchup. So i'm DEFINITELY in on this challenge

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
I'm going to jump on this challenge as well. My trim is set for the end of this month. I haven't had one since mid March...and I know it's going to be 1.5 inches possibly 2. I'm having breakage due to my transition...and this trim is well over do. I'm also on the bun challenge...so my ends should be in great shape. Anyway...I love how my ends look after a good trim. It's all about health over length.

Guapa1

Me me !
I trimmed on Sunday, my plan is to wear my hair in a protective style and change every teo weeks. No poo, deep condition and ACV rinse weekly. Spritz/rinse with water daily. Sealing the ends with my shea butter mix. I'll also wear my scarves because I have serious HIH syndrome. I'll do thaat for six weeks. Then I'll put in extensions for six weeks. Washing weekly, and spraying daily with braid spray. I'll make sure the braids aren't too tight or heavy. I'll keep drinking loads of water, and try to be consistent with my vitamin intake.