Biotin Contributing to Excessive Shedding

TonicaG

TonicaG
Has anyone experienced excessive shedding because of their biotin intake? At first I thought I was having seasonal shedding, but the whole year?!

Anyone?...

I've been gradually increasing my dosage of Biotin during the past few weeks (I've been taking it 6 weeks), and I have noticed excessive shedding in the last week. I'm up to taking 7mg a day. I've been trying to figure out what it is. My hair still feels thicker though.

I'm happy you started this thread because I was trying to figure out what could be causing the shedding. I'm going to go back to 5 mg a day.

How much biotin have you been taking?

healthyhairin07 said:
I've been gradually increasing my dosage of Biotin during the past few weeks (I've been taking it 6 weeks), and I have noticed excessive shedding in the last week. I'm up to taking 7mg a day. I've been trying to figure out what it is. My hair still feels thicker though.

I'm happy you started this thread because I was trying to figure out what could be causing the shedding. I'm going to go back to 5 mg a day.

How much biotin have you been taking?

Thanks for the response. I've been taking 7500 mcg. Which could possibly be too much for me in addition to the B50 complex that I'm consuming as well. I said that I was going to give my body a break for about a month and see if the shedding stops. If it does then I'll know it was the biotin (sad face)

Ladies,

It was confirmed for me that biotin was causing me to shed more than normal. If you are consuming biotin and experiencing excessive shedding, you may want to reevaluate your dosage amount.

Hmmmm, I have been experiencing a lot of shedding lately and I take Biotin 5000mcg every day to keep my face clear of acne. I wonder if Biotin is the reason for my shedding. Not sure.

Biotin should be taken with Vitamin B-Complex to counteract these adverse effects. I take a 5000mcg capsule of Biotin every other day with one, sometimes 2- 100g vitamin b-complex tablets. I have no shedding issues. Those who are having shedding issues should reduce the dosage and build back up gradually to a tolerable intake level for your body.

I take 2400 mcg a day and have been for several months without exessive shedding. I will keep my eye open though.

I’ve been doing everything for my hair to stop my shedding. I’ve been taking 3,000 mcg of Biotin for the last two months. It’s not a lot of shedding, but more than I’m use to getting:ohwell:. I’m going to use up what I have, but not sure if I’ll continue using it when I’m done. I’m also taking a high dose of Folic Acid daily…I feel a little better at least knowing that it has to be the biotin since I’m on point with everything else

Biotin should be taken with Vitamin B-Complex to counteract these adverse effects. I take a 5000mcg capsule of Biotin every other day with one, sometimes 2- 100g vitamin b-complex tablets. I have no shedding issues. Those who are having shedding issues should reduce the dosage and build back up gradually to a tolerable intake level for your body.
I take my Biotin with Super B-Complex.
I think I may be going through a shedding phase right now. I'm not going bald or anything from the shedding I've been experiencing.

Is high folic Acid a good choice to take with it or should I be taking something else with the biotin?

I noticed excess shedding too when I was taking a biotin supplement (1000 mcg), and adding a protein powder with biotin (300 mcg) in it to my hair shake. Too much! I cut way back on both, and only consume 2 X's a week, using the supplement or the powder. With my body, less than norm seems to work best for me.

Is high folic Acid a good choice to take with it or should I be taking something else with the biotin?
Trash the folic acid and just take a B-complex that has all of ur B vits in one tablet. Taking separate vitamins here and there work really work no good if the other vits are not there to complement them.

man i just started shedding today i noticed hair on my dresser i was wondering what the heck and now that this post is up ive been taking biotin 5000mcg for the past week

Just wondering if anyone else has any insight on this - I know it's an old thread. I recently increased my biotin intake to about 8000 mcg and have been noticing serious shedding recently. I'm going to decrease my intake for a while to see if it makes any difference.

I shedded like cray when I went up to 10 mg. I'm backing down! Thanks for :bumping: this thread!

Last edited:
The dosage and variety of supplements and vitamins we discuss and take on this forum must give the doctors and other medical professionals here a heart attack. :lol:. Thankfully, excess b-vitamins are excreted out.

Georgia said:
Just wondering if anyone else has any insight on this - I know it's an old thread. I recently increased my biotin intake to about 8000 mcg and have been noticing serious shedding recently. I'm going to decrease my intake for a while to see if it makes any difference.

I think 8000 mcg is a bit much. From what I understand the industry standard is 5000 mcg and that's only been the case in recent years. I take 5000 mcg and I think it's the main reason I have hair on my head. I'm a shedder anyway, but never experienced any additional shedding or face breakouts.

Back