Biotin Not Working

Bronxbaby87

I started using a Wal-Mart Brand Biotin in May, i used the whole bottle and switched to puritans pride biotin and amino 1500, i take 2 biotins in the morning, 1 amino, and 1 of each at lunch and dinner along with a multi in the morning. I just finished my 3rd bottle of biotin and i dont think i have seen ANY results. I dont know what to do, my mama said ease off the vitamins for a whole minute because maybe my body is used to them. Maybe i'm doin something wrong.. yall tell me

Maybe you need to up your dosage. I also finished about four bottles but had no WOW
shocked.gif
moment so i figure there could be some factors causing it:

1)Maybe my body is used to it and I need to give it a break for a minute

2)Maybe I need to up my dosage
3)Maybe I need to find another brand and see if maybe it will work better for me

I started to feel like something was wrong with me or maybe I got a placebo because everyone had raves about puritan pride biotin in the 5mg dosages and I kept finishing bottles with nothing to show for it. Now if try to do the biotin thing again I will try out freeda biotin which Jade recommended. I heard it may be a little better than puritan pride so if i decide to try it again i will try that brand out. dont worry you are not alone. God bless you all.

This is from Earl Mindell's Vitamin Bible. Biotin works synergistically...and more effectively...with B2, B6, niacin(B3) and A. If you are not taking a B complex with your biotin that may be the problem.

Thats what struck me as odd because I was taking a multi vitamin and i was taking b5. I think bronxbaby mentioned she used a multi too. God bless you all.

thank you for all your responces, maybe i need to add a B-complex or something, or change brands or up my dosage, but im only 16, i'm still growing and all, i dont wanna take too much... but thank you for all your help. god bless

I was taking b-complex and a multi before I started taking biotin. It just doesn't work for everyone. They've been a waste of money for me and I won't be buying them again. I still have 2 bottles left.

maybe your body is not absorbing the nutrient I know that the biotin is being absorded by my body because of the surge growth in my nails my hair is showing progress but not as much as my nails,when you cleanse your body nutrients are absorbed easier but if the body is not cleansed the the nutrients are jus wasted. I am just saying tis because this happened to me and even though I was taking multi vitamins my features looked as if I was lack of essential nutrients after cleansinh my body the results changed.this is just a suggestion this may not be a problem you have.

Maybe a break, and upping the dosage may help. If you really want to try Biotin or keep at it then try these, before giving up (I guess) Or move onto the Freeda Biotin.

After a break is when I noticed the growth. I'm going to do 3 weeks on 2 weeks off.

According to Prescription for Nutritional Healing by James F Balch, MD and Phylis A Balch, CNC....

[ QUOTE ]
Biotin aids in cell growth, in fatty acid production, in the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins, and in the utilization of the B-complex viatmins. Sufficient quantities are needed for healty hair and skin. Biotin may prevent hair loss in some men. Biotin also promotes healthy sweat glands, nerve tissue, and bone marrow.

A deficiency of this B vitamin is rare because it can be produced in the intestines from food.

Sources
Biotin is found in cooked egg yolk, salt-water fish, meat, milk, poultry, soybeans, whole grains, and yeast.

Warnings
Raw egg whites contain a protein called ovidin, which combines with biotin in the intestinal tract and depletes the body of this needed nutrient. A dry, scaly scalp and/or face in infants, called seborrheic dermatitis may indicate a deficiency. Consuming rancid fats or saccharin inhibits biotin absorption. The use of sulfa drugs and antibiotics threatens the availability of biotin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ladies make sure you are getting enough protein. According to my research biotin metabolizes fats, carbs and proteins.

Protein is the building block of hair. Biotin facilitates the break down of protein into amino acids and their formation into keratin, which is what hair and nails are made of. if you are just taking biotin pills and not getting enough protein there is nothing for the biotin to metabolize and thus to produce hair.

Also, if you are not getting enough protein the body will use what it does get for building muscles and other bodily functions that are more important than making hair and nail proteins.

According to information that I read 1 to 3 mg of biotin is enough to promote healthy hair, but in cases of hair loss 10 mg can be used for short periods of time.

--kc

I agree w/ prettygirl....I will be starting the Master Cleanser tomorrow along with a colon cleanse on Wednesday. I will post results of better vitamin absorption (or not) afterwards.

This protein theory makes sense because I do atkins when I'm not cheating and I have seen a remarkable difference especially in the past two weeks, I take 6mg, 3in the AM and 3 in the PM. I started taking vits a month ago.

[ QUOTE ]
maybe your body is not absorbing the nutrient I know that the biotin is being absorded by my body because of the surge growth in my nails my hair is showing progress but not as much as my nails,when you cleanse your body nutrients are absorbed easier but if the body is not cleansed the the nutrients are jus wasted. I am just saying tis because this happened to me and even though I was taking multi vitamins my features looked as if I was lack of essential nutrients after cleansinh my body the results changed.this is just a suggestion this may not be a problem you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say the same thing. I just bought some Renu Colon Cleansers, because I don't notice anything significant about my hair growth either, but my nails are flourishing(sp?). So, I've stopped taking my vits, until I flush my system and hopefully my results will be better.

Try upping your dosage to 3mg daily and take it all at NIGHT before going to bed. If you do not notice a difference in 2-3 weeks, I would suggest that you move on to the Freeda biotin. With it, get the 2.5mg tablets and divide your dose. 5mg of biotin is not too much for you at your age.

~Jade~

[ QUOTE ]
Try upping your dosage to 3mg daily and take it all at NIGHT before going to bed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jade, Why is it better to take Biotin at night?

Tee,

For some people especially, this encourages maximum absorption of a water-soluble nutrient. Plus, biotin seems to be one which needs to be manipulated for some people to see the true benefits. At night, too, your body is into reparative mode.

Another person who had emailed me about problems with biotin (i.e. it's doing nothing)didn't see results until I suggested the following: loading dose for 4 weeks taking it at night, then a lesser dosage at night for 2 more weeks, then finally a maintenance dose taken at night. I also encouraged her to rotate brands.

~Jade~

P.S. I am SO glad you tried the New Zealand avocado oil and have been enjoying it
grin.gif

Don't feel bad Bronxbaby,

I didn't get a faster growth rate either when I started Biotin supplementation.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't feel bad Bronxbaby,

I didn't get a faster growth rate either when I started Biotin supplementation.

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO!!! The only thing I got from biotin was bumps on my face.
think.gif

pooh123
Rose.gif

I also didnt see any results at first either, but i have to factor in my thyriod disease and a reason for my body's slow response to the vitamin. Im currently taking about 5000 mgs of biotin for about 4 weeks now ,the GNC hair skin and nails tablets contains 2500 mgs each. Im seeing some results esp with my skin.

If you are taking spring valley I use say change, that is not working for me at all, sun down worked better, but I plan to get pp biotin , which is your brand?

Back