Birth Contorl & Hair Loss/shedding? Anyone Experience This?

bella gee

Almost three months ago I started taking Yaz. And recently thereafter I noticed my hair began to shed like crazy. I thought it was just seasonal shedding. But its now almost three months later, and the shedding hasnt stopped. I dont know whether to attribute it to the BC or what ?

Has anyone else had this happen with BC or Yaz in particular?

TIA

Dani.Nicole

I take Yaz and I have not experienced that at all! At least YET. My hair sheds normally. Stuff like this scares me though! I don't want all my progress going down the drain :nono:

Nice & Wavy

Almost three months ago I started taking Yaz. And recently thereafter I noticed my hair began to shed like crazy. I thought it was just seasonal shedding. But its now almost three months later, and the shedding hasnt stopped. I dont know whether to attribute it to the BC or what ?

Has anyone else had this happen with BC or Yaz in particular?

TIA
I've been on BC since April to regulate my periods, and I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I am on LoEstrin though, because I'm in my 40's.

Jalen's Mom

I've been on Yaz for about a year and a half. I haven't noticed any unusual shedding. However, I have noticed that my hair seems thinner in the back....not sure why, or how I missed this major change. I've been curious as to whether the Yaz caused it or my experimental hair care journey...I had issues on my 14 week stretch.

JerriBlank

My doctor informed me that birth control depletes vitamin b,and this causes some issues with hair loss,so for me to be sure to take a supplement. I take a hair,skin,and nails vitamin and I haven't had any issues from it as yet. I have consistently been on bc for about 5 years.

JaszyFaye

Hey y'all I'm new to LHCF :D

I used to take YAZ and I experienced hair lost. My bangs went from being to my lips to barely there. My hair shed so much but the worst part was I had a bald spot and when I talked to my doctor she said it wasn't from the BC and tried to convince me that I was stressed. Once I stopped YAZ my hair is starting to grow back and I also got really bad headaches from YAZ as well. I attached a pic of my "bald spot".

Attachments

• jaszy 292.JPG
    jaszy 292.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 27
  • jaszy 281.jpg
    jaszy 281.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 25

TheCoilWhisperer

I've stopped taking ortho evra (the patch) about 4/5 years ago and I'm still experiencing shedding. I've recently read up about birth control how it linked to Candida. I'll be trying a Candida cleanse pretty soon..... hope this clears it up.

Irresistible

My doctor informed me that birth control depletes vitamin b,and this causes some issues with hair loss,so for me to be sure to take a supplement. I take a hair,skin,and nails vitamin and I haven't had any issues from it as yet. I have consistently been on bc for about 5 years.
I worry about my daughter all the time and its only been six or so months for her

she takes it for treatment of PMDD

and the bad thing with the BC depleting B vitamins it can affect mood/engery, so it's still a battle in the sense of how she feels

although not near as bad/destructive as PMDD

I stay on her to take her vits/B complex

its very important with BC

AllieCat0817

Birth control pills can negatively affect your thyroid gland. Being hypothyroid can result in shedding, breakage, dry thin hair.

mahogany_horizons

I haven't been on the pill since I was first married. And I wasn't a hair freak at the time, but I did have HUGE balls of hair when I would detangle during that time. I am unsure if it was due to improper styling, or the Yaz....but yaz made me so freaking sick dude, I could not hang. My husband and I had to find another method!

Beaute Noire

^^interesting...

Beaute Noire

Hey y'all I'm new to LHCF :D

I used to take YAZ and I experienced hair lost. My bangs went from being to my lips to barely there. My hair shed so much but the worst part was I had a bald spot and when I talked to my doctor she said it wasn't from the BC and tried to convince me that I was stressed. Once I stopped YAZ my hair is starting to grow back and I also got really bad headaches from YAZ as well. I attached a pic of my "bald spot".

^^ :welcome: I'm new too!! If you don't mind me asking, how long were you on yaz??? and when did you start noticing the shedding??

simone103

My bangs completely broke off the earlier part of this year. They ended below my eyebrows and when it broke off I probably had an inch or less. I was on Ortho-tri cyclen. I'm too scared to go back to any form of birth control.

Last edited:

Jalen's Mom

Wow, I never knew that BC depletes vitamin b. Thanks for sharing this. I'm off to find a supplement. Any recommendations?

stephluv

i was on a few different BC while in college and was natural the whole time i was taking them...I switched BC going from the pill to the depo shot back to another brand of BC pills:nono: and my hair did not grow at all during this time...i was also shedding alot of hair as if i had 2 mths worth of braid extensions in my hair...I even went to my doctor and we checked everything even my thyroid...finally we realized it must be my birth control:wallbash:...

been off BC for a few months now and I have seen much improvement in my hair:yep:...its barely shedding (i even had braids in for a mth) and it grew tremendously....hope this helps

Happy Hair Growing to us all!!!:yay:

JaszyFaye

^^ :welcome: I'm new too!! If you don't mind me asking, how long were you on yaz??? and when did you start noticing the shedding??

Sorry it has taken me forever and a day to reply I was on yaz for less than a year probably 8 months. I started to notice the shedding after 2 or 3 months of being on it. I was wearing extensions at the time and I thought it was from straightening my hair but it wasn't until my boyfriend discovered the bald spot that I knew it was from the bc.