BIRTH CONTROL GROWS HAIR????!!

Blkrose

OK ladies, so I just read that in many Latin American Countries birth control pills are crushed and put into shampoos/conditioners to grow hair faster/stronger. I really want to try this but I'm worried about putting hormones on my scalp.:nono: On the other hand I was thinking that I could do it in a way where the mixture would just touch my hair. What do you guys think?

LaFemmeNaturelle

Hmm....I'm no expert and I don't know how it would work if applied directlyto the scalp, but I would think that just putting it on your hair will not make your hair grow. Anything applied to the dead strands itself cannot increase your growth rate.

On the otherhand, my hair grows much faster when I'm actually on BC.

Charlie555

A Mexican girl told me about this years ago. I thought she was off her rocker! She did mention that if u try it you have to be careful to only put it on your hair. I wouldn't try it personally.

shopgalore

I am now worried the lengths I am prepared to go for my quest for long hair! I saw this post and mentally thought "Umm, do I have any pills I could crush" Goodness if you ladies said " baked beans works" I would try it!!!

datladystunna

ive always heard that certain birth controls can cause hair loss....if u really decide to do this i would be very careful and research the type of birth control you use

Blkrose

I am now worried the lengths I am prepared to go for my quest for long hair! I saw this post and mentally thought "Umm, do I have any pills I could crush" Goodness if you ladies said " baked beans works" I would try it!!!

hahahah I know what you mean! ahhhh (sigh) the things we do to get that swang.:spinning:

Blkrose

A Mexican girl told me about this years ago. I thought she was off her rocker! She did mention that if u try it you have to be careful to only put it on your hair. I wouldn't try it personally.

Actually I'm in Mexico right now and that's one of the tips I was given.....

Solitude

ive always heard that certain birth controls can cause hair loss....if u really decide to do this i would be very careful and research the type of birth control you use

Yeah, I would be very careful (actually, I wouldn't do this at all) because hormones and even different configurations of the same hormones can react differently for different people.

Plus, BC is way too expensive to be used for hair.

mariofmagdal

I was also going to say, I heard of many who lost hair with BC pills. I have also heard this method before. Sorry, I would not try it.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
What if I told you that exercising and eating a proper diet works and is safer? :grin:

please don't buy BC just for your hair. :nono:

beautyaddict1913

My doc prescribed me a new bc last month...I had never heard of it so I did internet research before deciding to take it....one of the side effects was: may cause hair growth or loss...that was enough to discourage me...the fact that my hair might grow or fall out was the reason I chose not to take it, just a gamble that Im not willing to risk....its called Allesse...i think I spelled it right

ladyfay

One of the birth controls I took did cause major shedding as well as hair thinning all around the hairline.

BostonMaria

OK ladies, so I just read that in many Latin American Countries birth control pills are crushed and put into shampoos/conditioners to grow hair faster/stronger. I really want to try this but I'm worried about putting hormones on my scalp.:nono: On the other hand I was thinking that I could do it in a way where the mixture would just touch my hair. What do you guys think?

Yes this is true. This was given to a relative back in the 80's to grow her hair. If I remember correctly, my aunt took birth control pills and crushed them into a conditioner, plus she added over the counter spermicide foam in it (she sprayed it inside the conditioner). She said that the hormones in the birth control have something to do with the hair growth. I don't know if that's true. Oh damn I hope nobody does this. I was a young teen so I really don't remember if it worked.

NaturalPath

Depending on insurance its not expensive ($5)

However do not put this on your hair, come on now its hormones! Thats why black women are advised NOT to use hask placenta on their hair cause it can cause CANCER!!

Just stick to proper techniques, a good diet and good products

hair4romheaven

The dominican salon I use to go to sold an oil that smelled like cinnamon she said to put crushed BC pills in there. I never tried it but the ones that did hair grew so long & fast from using it. She sold a 4oz bottle for 20. and it was sent from D.R. her brother use to use it and ask girls to get him BC pills...hilarious

My Friend

I think it needs to be determimed if the person recommending BC is talking about internally or externally. If BC pills are applied topically, do they have the ability to become systemic (Enter the blood supply)? Maybe ask a pharmacist.

I would then research the ingredients to find out what is possibly causing hair growth and once I found it, research the side effects of that ingredient.

Jewell

I've taken them before over 3 years consistently, and my hair seemed thinner (a LOT thinner) while I was on them (BC pills). I gained weight as well, which I wanted to do, so that was the only plus! So, I wouldn't try it again specifically for hair growth, only for their prescribed, FDA-approved uses (obviously for BC) would I ever use again.

My Friend

Some types of progestins can have androgenic effects and some women on birth control pills with an older formulation can find hair loss or hirsutism is actually promoted by the pill. Synthetically made progestins in birth control pills are not the same as naturally produced progestins like progesterone. Some synthetic progestins' molecular conformation mean they are the right shape to fit into androgen receptors in hair follicles and elsewhere and elicit a response.

Some synthetic progestins are structurally very similar to testosterone and/or estrogen so their androgenic or antiandrogenic effects supplement an individual's natural hormone production levels. The response is quite variable from person to person. While some people have excess hair growth from using the pills others may develop hair loss.

I assumed the older verisons of BC pills would have this effect. They are normally also the ones given out at free/low income medical clinics.

Least likely to cause hirsutism to most likely to cause hirsutism-

Desogen, Ortho-Cept, Ortho-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Micronor, Nor-Q D, Ovcon-35, Brevicon/Modicon, Ortho Norvum 7/7/7, Ortho Novum 10-11, Tri-Norinyl, Norinyl and Ortho 1/35, Demulen 1/35, Triphasil/Tri-Levien, Nordette, Lo/Ovral, Ovrette, Ovral, Loestrin1/20, Loestrin 1.5/30.

Listed below are the best birth control pills for women who want to avoid acne, alopecia, or hirsutism: Desogen, Ortho-Cept, Ortho-Cyclen, Ortho-Tri-Cyclen, Brevicon, Modicon, Ovcon-35, and Demulen-35.

Newer oral contraceptive formulations containing progestins with minimal androgenic potential should have the generic names norgestimate, desogestrel, or gestodene on the side of the packet. Norgestimate is generally regarded as the least androgenic progestin found in contraceptive pills.

Janet'

Well, when I took Depo...and then stopped...It took my edges out and that is indeed one of the side effects listed...so, hmm...

Blkrose

Depending on insurance its not expensive ($5)

However do not put this on your hair, come on now its hormones! Thats why black women are advised NOT to use hask placenta on their hair cause it can cause CANCER!!

Just stick to proper techniques, a good diet and good products

oh, I didn't know that about hask placenta. thanks girl!

Blkrose

The dominican salon I use to go to sold an oil that smelled like cinnamon she said to put crushed BC pills in there. I never tried it but the ones that did hair grew so long & fast from using it. She sold a 4oz bottle for 20. and it was sent from D.R. her brother use to use it and ask girls to get him BC pills...hilarious

That's exactly what I'm talking about! Some of ya'll may already be using the stuff and not even know it!:lachen::blush:

Vintageglam

This "could" make sense. Basically some forms of the pill when taken internally will mess up your hormonal balance and therefore thin out your hair whilst others could have the reverse effect as they trick your body into thinking it's pregnant hence why you can't get pregnant.

I suppose that applying the "right" pills externally could make sense if you naturally have a hormonal balance and the crushed pill leaches says estrogen's into your scalp, hence why topical creams such an MN work so well for hair growth. BC aside from killing scalp infections and fungi they also act as DHT inhibitors. So I suppose the pill could potentially be acting in the same way.

Any resident medics, chemists, pharmacologists or scientists please chime in.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member

I'd agree with this analysis. My hair started growing faster when I stopped using BC! Messing with your horomones is no joke! :nono:

hair4romheaven

Ok so I asked her about this since this thread and she said hormone pills are used in D.R. (dominican Rep.) in a lot of growth aids. Not just B.C but women use it because its cheap. Her brother doesn't have the cul-de-sac balding hair anymore and she is still selling the oil. I never used it though.