BKT on relaxed hair, information?

Polyesterdiva

Hey all!

I've recently been wondering about getting a Brazilian Keratin Treatment but I have a lot of questions, and all the vids and threads seem to have just partial information. So I have a list of questions! If you even know just one or two of the answers that would be awesome!

1) Is there a point to getting this if your hair is already relaxed? *Air dried/ or even fresh out of the shower, will relaxed AND BKT'd hair feel different then just relaxed hair?*

2) Damage. Is there any risk of damaging relaxed hair with BKT? Is it more then just the risk associated with applying high heat during the treatment?

3) Does anyone out there do it themselves? What are the pro-cons between doing it yourself and going to the salon?

4) How long does it last, say if you shampoo 1/week with a gentle poo..or even just go wash?

5) Do you think it's a good way to transition?

If anyone can answer theses questions for me, OR link me to a site/vid that answers all these I would be REALLY REALLY grateful!

THANKS! :-D

NinasLongAmbition

DON'T, I REPEAT DONT DO IT. RECONSIDER. I got the BKT back in Dec 2009, I was 5 months into a transition, after the BKT I was forced to do a BC in FEB. I can't say for sure if its the BKT that's the devil, butI will say that a 450 degree flat iron being passed through your hair multiple times is not the best idea. Also you're relaxed I don't think BKT should be used on relaxed hair. Just my 2 cents. HTH

Last edited:

Dellas

I have had BKT twice and I am not an expert but I can summarize some other BKT threads:

What ever condition you hair is in before BKT, it can be worse after BKT (the heat)

If you have a relaxer, turn down the heat and limit the number of passes.

Do not allow the BKT material to touch your skin/scalp. No No. I think I read it was more damaging than a relaxer touching your scalp.

iwantmyglory

Hey all!

I've recently been wondering about getting a Brazilian Keratin Treatment but I have a lot of questions, and all the vids and threads seem to have just partial information. So I have a list of questions! If you even know just one or two of the answers that would be awesome!

1) Is there a point to getting this if your hair is already relaxed? *Air dried/ or even fresh out of the shower, will relaxed AND BKT'd hair feel different then just relaxed hair?*
As new BKT'er, relaxed, and high-lighted (yeah, I must be the processed hair queen), I'm relatively happy. My hair wasn't in prime shape prior to my hi-lites. My hair feels better now than it did before with my color on relaxed hair.
2) Damage. Is there any risk of damaging relaxed hair with BKT? Is it more then just the risk associated with applying high heat during the treatment?
I don't know what shape or condition your hair is in, for some reason my hair feels good. It may just be the grace of God. But, I've been recommending the Organix BKT to many ppl I know.
3) Does anyone out there do it themselves? What are the pro-cons between doing it yourself and going to the salon?
I did my own, and didn't have any issues. I was nervous, but I'd been wanting it so I just did it.
4) How long does it last, say if you shampoo 1/week with a gentle poo..or even just go wash?
I did my BKT on the 9th and relaxed on the 20th with a bit of shedding, wasn't enough to scare at all. My roots were dry which was the unrelaxed hair, and my hair was tangled, and I hadn't been adding moisture, other bad practices, etc, after my first poo post BKT. My hair that was previously relaxed wasn't nearly as frizzy/fuzzy post BKT.
5) Do you think it's a good way to transition?
I think it's doing something to the texture of the hair semi-relaxerish, so I don't know that it would be a good way to transistion because I don't know if the hair reverts completely back to it's unproccessed texture.
If anyone can answer theses questions for me, OR link me to a site/vid that answers all these I would be REALLY REALLY grateful!

THANKS! :-D

I hope some that helps!