Black Activist Climbs Statue Of Liberty For 4th Of July Protest

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
H
1. They volunteered for whatever treatment, policies, laws, etc. they complain about. They didn't HAVE to come here.

2. Don't like it? You are free to return to you country of origin. Otherwise,

3. Instead of complaining, be grateful you are permitted to live here.

Hmmmm....I can understand feeling this way, but consider this:

Mexicans used to follow this African American way of thinking that you described , but then they decided to mirror the entitlement ways of the oppressor. Look for all the things that illegal Mexicans have asked, demanded etc. and gotten...There is a huge movement and they are surpassing African Americans...

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
There are many refugee-turned citizens here for good - those who sought asylum from death or abuse and earned their citizenship via the naturalization process, legally. They cannot ever go back and therefore would have no where else to go. The "if you don't like it here, then go back," sentiment is very dismissive, in that the view is that a person can't complain or speak out if they're not born here. This makes no sense. Citizens and noncitizens alike have freedom of speech in this country, so for someone to say an immigrant has "no rights" to speak out is pure fallacy.

I think there's some underlying vehemency by black, natural-born, Americans concerning immigrants that surfaces every now and again. We see black "natural born" citizens who would rather hang out on the corner who would rather do nothing than pick fruit or clean toilets - those jobs are beneath them. Then, when immigrants rise to levels of business ownership and wealth, they again get heat for their successes. "Black American" isn't comprised only of natural-born citizens... The losses are on equal ground for all citizens. If anyone chooses to believe otherwise, that is their choice. But it does not make it true.

No one said that naturalized citizens don’t have equal rights. But most still have strong ties to and citizenship in their native lands. When it hits the fan here, y’all can go home. Black Americans are going down with this ship, because we have no where else to go. There are losses to be had all around, but it is not equal.

discodumpling

This womans protest did not sit well with me. I think she just wanted a free trip back home.
With all the Black battles to fight I just dont have the brain or heart space to be out here caping for others.
I am a legal immigrant and clearly remember the process my parents (mostly my Mama) had to go through for us to live the American dream. Lol! I understand these legal avenues are not available to everyone though.

ThirdEyeBeauty

Wow I heard about this case and was hoping she was not black. I heard a short clip with her voice and thought she was "other". I'm surprised she was not hospitalized to see if she was mentally stable.

Laela

BTW, she is a U.S. citizen and had climbed the statue with her passport in hand to prove her identity:

Okoumou immigrated from Congo 24 years ago and is a US citizen. She declined to discuss why she left Congo but said she admired the American ideal of “everyone work hard and work together for prosperity”.

MORE OF STORY HERE: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-liberty-protester-patricia-okoumou-interview

Southernbella.

There are many refugee-turned citizens here for good - those who sought asylum from death or abuse and earned their citizenship via the naturalization process, legally. They cannot ever go back and therefore would have no where else to go. The "if you don't like it here, then go back," sentiment is very dismissive, in that the view is that a person can't complain or speak out if they're not born here. This makes no sense. Citizens and noncitizens alike have freedom of speech in this country, so for someone to say an immigrant has "no rights" to speak out is pure fallacy.

I think there's some underlying vehemency by black, natural-born, Americans concerning immigrants that surfaces every now and again. We see black "natural born" citizens who would rather hang out on the corner who would rather do nothing than pick fruit or clean toilets - those jobs are beneath them. Then, when immigrants rise to levels of business ownership and wealth, they again get heat for their successes. "Black American" isn't comprised only of natural-born citizens... The losses are on equal ground for all citizens. If anyone chooses to believe otherwise, that is it their choice. But it does not make it true.

That old myth of immigrants doing jobs Americans won't do is false. I was reading an article the other day about a bakery in Chicago that was forced to hire black workers after the Mexican workers were deported by ICE
(after black folks called :look:).

Historically, immigrants were preferred by managers because they can exploit them, but Americans will do those jobs if they're paid fairly.

intellectualuva

That old myth of immigrants doing jobs Americans won't do is false. I was reading an article the other day about a bakery in Chicago that was forced to hire black workers after the Mexican workers were deported by ICE

Historically, immigrants were preferred by managers because they can exploit them, but Americans will do those jobs if they're paid fairly.

Heads over to your thread.

:auto:

Laela

I can agree to that... “immigrants do jobs that wouldn’t exist if the immigrants weren’t there to do them.”

Last edited:

Laela

OK... :look:

ThirdEyeBeauty

That reminds me of when the government was building the Panama Canal and the U.S. said they did not want to hire black people because they felt they were lazy but they would love to hire "others" such as the Asian people who worked on the railroads in the U.S. They could not get the others to work for them so they reluctantly hired the black people from the Caribbean. Those white people paid those black people so poorly that they might as well not go. They were there for years, too, with nothing to show for their families. ETA: By the way, the U.S. fooled the black people into thinking they would make much more money than they ever could in their home country. They want "others" so they can pay them cheaply. I knew a BIG contractor who would drive all the way to the border of Texas and Mexico and pick up a load of laborers to do landscaping and unskilled work as well as skilled work.

Right now I have noticed some of the Mexican entrepreneurs in town have closed their businesses.

Last edited:

yamilee21

That old myth of immigrants doing jobs Americans won't do is false. ...

Historically, immigrants were preferred by managers because they can exploit them...

I absolutely agree about the exploitation aspect, many members of my immigrant family have experienced it. However, I'm not convince that it is a myth with regard to agriculture. I keep seeing pictures on social media of crops rotting in California and Florida fields; not sure whether those are accurate or not, but despite it being summer when we have additional produce available from almost-local farms, prices have increased substantially for fruits and vegetables in my area (NY) compared to last summer, and I doubt all of the price increase can be attributed to the crazy weather of the past year. The farms within a 100 mile radius where I live have been staffed primarily by Mexicans and Central Americans for much of the past two decades at least, and some of the local food growing culture has been revived in large part because there have been recent immigrants willing to work these farms.

... “immigrants do jobs that wouldn’t exist if the immigrants weren’t there to do them.”
Regarding this; I have lived in the same house for over 30 years; the socioeconomic levels in the area have not changed much, though the demographics of the population have, somewhat. When I first moved here, each household took care of their own yard/garden - hiring someone to do so was unheard of then. Also, people rarely renovated, because doing so was cost-prohibiting. Siding would get changed if there had been a fire; finishing a basement was a huge investment; people painted their walls themselves. That began to change in the mid 1990s, with the shift in the immigrant population. Everyone began hiring landscapers/gardeners for yard maintenance because they became readily available. Everyone started redoing kitchens and basements, changing siding, hiring painters, adding rooms, etc., because the lowered labour costs made home renovations far more affordable. However, the atmosphere of the past 18-20 months has changed things - the landscapers/gardeners have become scarcer. And suddenly some of these workers are black rather than Latino immigrants, but quite a few houses no longer have weekly landscaper visits altogether. There also seems to be less renovating happening among long- time residents, and people looking to do repair work are complaining of longer wait times or not finding anyone at all. Neither of these industries are willing/able to pay what U.S.-born workers would need/want, so it seems unlikely that the industries will be able to carry on without immigrants.

Last edited:

RossBoss

OT:
Just wanted to point out that - at the bolded - Justice Douglas wrote that "the rights of citizenship of the native born and of the naturalized person are of the same dignity and are coextensive."

Article 2 of the Constitution only draws one difference: that only ‘natural born’ citizens are eligible to be President. So, naturalized citizens have lots to lose as well... :ohwell:

Carry on...

Late reply but...

Not speaking on rights but on attitudes. Times have totally changed since the Constitution was written.

RossBoss

HappilyLiberal

BTW, she is a U.S. citizen and had climbed the statue with her passport in hand to prove her identity:

Okoumou immigrated from Congo 24 years ago and is a US citizen. She declined to discuss why she left Congo but said she admired the American ideal of “everyone work hard and work together for prosperity”.

MORE OF STORY HERE: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-liberty-protester-patricia-okoumou-interview

Um... if she is a naturalized citizen, she'd better pray they don't revoke her citizenship and ship her back from whence she came!

Laela

They can do that ONLY if they can prove she acquired it falsely in the first place... that, I seriously doubt will happen considering how long she's been on U.S soil.. God will protect her...
It's unfortunate so many of you here have such ill will towards this black American.
Um... if she is a naturalized citizen, she'd better pray they don't revoke her citizenship and ship her back from whence she came!

RossBoss

Does this "activist" want open borders for the Congo? This is a rhetorical question but I always shake my head at these immigrants who demand we maintain a porous border but when you look at their home countries they tend to have the strictest of immigration laws that they never have the time to protest. No time to be an activist over there but come here and all of a sudden every one has time on their hands to become warriors.

Kanky

Does this "activist" want open borders for the Congo? This is a rhetorical question but I always shake my head at these immigrants who demand we maintain a porous border but when you look at their home countries they tend to have the strictest of immigration laws that they never have the time to protest. No time to be an activist over there but come here and all of a sudden every one has time on their hands to become warriors.

They are raping and eating folks in the Congo and she wants to protest how the US is treating her. I can’t even take her seriously. :lol: She should go home and protest those cannibals.

RossBoss

They are raping and eating folks in the Congo and she wants to protest how the US is treating her. I can’t even take her seriously. :lol: She should go home and protest those cannibals.

Yeah, I've heard about that and it shows just how dumb all these religions aka superstitions are. I think any sane thinking person would think that it would be a better use of her time and resources to protest that, not the deportation of Juan and Maria who will turn around and shut Black Americans out of employment opportunities once they become citizens.

Laela

So extra... It's not that serious..she's an American by citizenship, that's my point. You can't dispute that. I couldn't care less what she labels herself after that.

Lawd! I almost dropped my tea when I read that. LOL. Reminds me of when they referred to that trash George Zimmerman as a "White Hispanic".:p

Last edited:

HappilyLiberal

They can do that ONLY if they can prove she acquired it falsely in the first place... that, I seriously doubt will happen considering how long she's been on U.S soil.. God will protect her...
It's unfortunate so many of you here have such ill will towards this black American.

Actually, they can revoke her citizenship if she commits a felony. She'd better pray those charges stay at the misdemeanor level.