Black American and Asian American relations

Black Ambrosia

This is my first time hearing of this woman. I don't think, don't hope, that she should be taken as the voice of Asian America (or Canada):

"Lauren Chen, formerly known as Roaming Millennial, is a Canadian YouTube blogger and BlazeTV host who fancies herself as an Asian Lauren Southern and promotes racist and white nationalist talking points. As of February 2021, Chen's YouTube channel had over 445k subscribers and 60 million views."
Don't mean to sound cold hearted but you (general you) can't make me care about self hating asians. Call me self absorbed but I got my own ish to deal with.

nyeredzi

Don't mean to sound cold hearted but you (general you) can't make me care about self hating asians. Call me self absorbed but I got my own ish to deal with.
I understand that you have your own ish. I am confused about the first part though, since it's quoting me about that woman. Is it that you don't care about that particular self-hating woman, or is it that you have decided all Asians are self-hating and so you don't care about any of them?

Black Ambrosia

I understand that you have your own ish. I am confused about the first part though, since it's quoting me about that woman. Is it that you don't care about that particular self-hating woman, or is it that you have decided all Asians are self-hating and so you don't care about any of them?
I’m not concerned about self hating people period. There’s no real hierarchy in my mind but self hating Asians would probably be lower on the totem pole based on their indifference to the plight of Black people.

yamilee21

So on a local radio program just now, an Asian-American Congresswoman (Rep. Grace Meng) was discussing the lack of Asian representation in the Biden cabinet, then strongly implied that a black woman who is under consideration for one of the remaining posts should step aside so that an Asian-American can be nominated instead! This is so frustrating! A *white man* committed this crime; if “representation” is needed, why not from one of the positions where a white man is being considered? And how does this do anything to rectify the problem of preventing white men from committing more mass murders?

naturalgyrl5199

Another musing that I have: Intersectionality is being very efficiently employed here in public discourse, and I think that’s great. This is indeed a sex-and-race based hate crime.

Employing the same logic for Black women always seems to fail and get derailed, with the irony being that we literally invented the concept of intersectionality. I personally made a call to the NYPD hate crimes division after that Black woman got her face bitten in Harlem and they could not conceive that it was a hate crime, because it was a group of Black males. They said that verbatim even after I explained that hate crimes are also sex-based by legal statue. I was so irritated but gave up the venture after the victim decided to post about BM being kings. If those are still her kings, lemme save my daytime minutes and WiFi chile.
My mind is blown at the bolded. For real. Cause this is some important ish.

Its hard with BM. They too are not a monolith. What do you call the BM who stood out the door of that single mother and her child for weeks on guard when those WM were harassing her and her baby? I didn't see a bunch of sisters coming to her rescue, standing guard with guns when it was WM threatening to kill her and her baby and had been caught on her property with weapons. Many, including the BM who stood guard, really feel its their job. They did it, and it was good. Because the police refused to help her, something journalists called them out for. She also lives in NY.

Since we all can walk and chew gum here....I agree with you that the BM who attacked the BW committed a HATE CRIME. I never even considered that but you raise a HUGE point. It would be difficult to have BW and BM gather behind it because even the good BM out there can't conceive or conceptualize it. I mean, I was today years old when I read what you said and definitely felt something leap in my chest. It WOULD be considered divisive when there are some inkling in married and monogamous black couple circles of empowering Black love, the BM protecting BW....Does it mean we shouldn't point it out? Of course not. But education is key. You make me remember when that white incel came to my city in north Florida, kicked in the door of a yoga studio (where its documented by FBI that these incels HATE women doing yoga with a passion for some odd reason) and killed a female doctor doing a class who I knew personally and another young student, he committed a hate crime as well. There were some inklings and rumbling about it, but it died down FAST.

I love and hate men sometimes.

Kitamita

My
Saw yesterday the news pushing the narrative of Asian women being fragile victims; whereas, BW are often portrayed as strong, angry, and even manly. Totally different narrative for different groups.
My sister and I were just speaking about this. We had just watched Grey's Anatomy and the part where the female surgeon was just taken care of physically and emotionally. Seen as delicate but black women don't get seen in that light. Hit my WW privilege button....:confused:

Kitamita

Some feel entitled to it.

Look personally, I think that POCs should work together in solidarity and I appreciate Asians who have shown solidarity to AAs. I'm in the Bay Area where and there's a lot of it here. And I understand the complex history of Black people and Asians being intentionally pitted against each other in the name of white supremacy. But there's a complex history here. I won't criticize black people who decide to sit this out.
Agree there is a complex history and we all need to stand together against racism. But it is a bit of a bitter pill to swallow when we haven't been repaid in kind or only by a minority in the Asian community. I thought this video had some good insights into the issue:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Side note to all this seriousness....

All I know is if these white folks come for Uncle Roger, I'm signing petitions and testifying in trials! He's in Europe so he "should" be safe. The redneck cast iron cooking community was BIIIIIIIIG MAD at his review of Cowboy Ken's fried rice video. They lit that comment section up with the Asian slurs.

If you don't know who Uncle Roger is, he is delightful and he wants all the smoke. It's funny that the full Asian people I know Yeezy shrug him but the happas (half Asians) especially the non Chinese ones feel some kinda way about him.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I get your 2nd point, but seeing what Ive been seeing is not them being brought up but BW like Breonna and especially Latasha since this week was the anniversary of her murder, people want to know why they should shoulder this burden when their community didn't denounce what happened at that time.
I understand this completely and that’s part of the previous thought jumble I posted.

My problem is that I don’t feel that the Black Community ™ has done enough ever to earn the solidarity of BW publicly against rampant anti-Blackness in Asian communities, as in outside of this board. And in fact, it’s telling that Rodney King’s name is seared into the annals of Black history in a way that Latasha Harlin’s has not been, with the notable exception of recent discussions. But let me not belabor the point.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
So on a local radio program just now, an Asian-American Congresswoman (Rep. Grace Meng) was discussing the lack of Asian representation in the Biden cabinet, then strongly implied that a black woman who is under consideration for one of the remaining posts should step aside so that an Asian-American can be nominated instead! This is so frustrating! A *white man* committed this crime; if “representation” is needed, why not from one of the positions where a white man is being considered? And how does this do anything to rectify the problem of preventing white men from committing more mass murders?
This is their definition of solidarity, with notable exceptions: Black folks should roll out the red carpet but they won’t be lifting a finger to sweep the muck out of the way for us.

larry3344

Regardless of where black people are ( all black cultures are guilty of this; Africans, Black Americans, black West Indians, black latinos, etc...) we collectively struggle to draw the line whenever non-black people are involved....how are you going to act like Jamaica is mixed island when most Jamaicans are black. Also how are you going to concentrate credit to whole community just because 1 person contributed in DISTRIBUTING the art form that existed prior to her even existing like this is ridiculous.

frizzy

Also how are you going to concentrate credit to whole community just because 1 person contributed in DISTRIBUTING the art form that existed prior to her even existing like this is ridiculous.
Word! Pat didn't create or sing nary a note!

nysister

Too bad we can't throw him in prison.

Disgusting. He'd have nothing, if it wasn't for Black people looking for equal rights. They're always ready to kowtow to whites and be their slaves, but act like they're interested in their own establishment as a culture. What a joke.

Asians are only interested in establishing their own once they realized how ridiculous they looked trying to be honorary white.

Whatever.