Black Female Security Guard Punched By White Man On Video

Leeda.the.Paladin

People have donated thousands of dollars and have even offered free legal help to a River North building guard who was punched by a man she tried to help over the weekend.

The early Sunday attack was captured by surveillance cameras at the entrance of the building in the 600 block of North Franklin Street. As of Monday afternoon, police reported no arrests.

The video shows the guard, Zoa Stigler, walking up to a man after he sat down on the sidewalk and leaned against the building just before 2 a.m. Sunday. Stigler said she checked on whether the man needed help and then called Chicago police.

Stigler is seen on the video bringing out a bucket after the man vomited. Shortly afterward, another man and two women showed up and Stigler said she told the four to leave.

GoFundMe page to raise $5,000 for her expenses. By mid-afternoon Monday, nearly $3,000 had been raised, much of it from residents of the building.

One condo owner wrote, "My friend is a really good lawyer and said he will represent her pro bono."

Asad Khan, who created the GoFundMe page, said Stigler began working there about two months ago. She initially declined any financial help when he brought it up Sunday.

“She said, ‘Oh no, no, no,’ ’’ according to Khan.

But Khan said he spoke to her again on Monday, telling her he was going ahead with the page "because we are getting so many people who want to help.’’

“She needs surgery on her eye,’’ Khan said. “He fractured her right eye socket and the bridge of her nose."

Khan called Stigler an "exemplary" worker and an "amazing" person. “Amazing person that she is, she actually cleaned up that guy’s vomit before she went to the hospital," he said.

The building acquired the surveillance system just a week ago. “I didn’t get it to catch anything like this,’’ he said. “Nothing like this has ever happened.’’

Photos from the video have been posted throughout the building. “We’ve shared it everywhere with all our residents,’’ he said. “Everybody is on the lookout for this guy.’’

NapfroConsulate

White people are the worst. I wonder if those white girls consider themselves feminists? None of them had the courage to call the cops on their friend? I hope they find that bastard.

Im gonna donate to her gofundme. Poor woman. Smh.

ETA: I like that the man is being called a thug. This is what the gofundme says. I got teary-eyed reading it. I also didnt realise it happened on Mother's Day.

My name is Asad Khan and I am the President of the Board for the 630 N Franklin Building where Zoa Stigler, our security officer was viciously attacked by a thug as she was doing her job by protecting our building early Sunday morning which happened to be MOTHER's DAY. He fractured her right eye socket and also the bridge of her nose.

She was initially trying to help this thug by checking up on him to make sure he was doing alright as he was lying on the ground by the building. He proceeded to vomit by the building which prompted Zoa to request that he and his 3 friends move away as she needs to clean it up. As you can see in the video links below that this provoked the THUG to throw a water bottle at her and viciously punch her in the face before turning around and walking away. His 3 friends didn't do anything and turned around and walked away from the scene also.

Zoa is so dedicated and hard working that in spite of being in pain and disoriented, she had the mind set of cleaning up the mess caused by this thug before being taken to the hospital.... AMAZING!!

This story has been covered by every local Chicago news channel as of yesterday and we are hoping to find this thug so that he can face the consequences. Some of the links to the video are below:

http://wgntv.com/2017/05/14/attack-on-security-guard-caught-on-video/

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...n-brutal-attack-sunday-morning-422218563.html

http://abc7chicago.com/news/river-n...cked;-police-search-for-man-in-video/1993645/

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/05/15/security-guard-sucker-punched-face-caught-on-video/

Zoa was unable to spend Mother's day with her 2 beautiful daughters, Sierra and Sheila as she is a Single mother who works part time to make ends meet and is going to school part time to finish her Business Finance degree.

She may require surgery on her eye to fix the damage and may have to take time off work and school for recovery. Let's all help the strong willed, amazing, hard working and kind ZOA by showing our love by supporting her financially!

Last edited:

toaster

I was happy to see that most of the comments on the story yesterday were calling that guy out.

One comment said she shouldn't have approached him after he threw the water bottle at her. Luckily, most of the replies to that comment called the guy an idiot.

You know how internet comments can go left.

LdyKamz

I won't watch the video. Things like this upset me too much. Instead of becoming desensitized to these things I've actually become increasingly hypersensitive. But I hope they catch this guy and that poor woman better take all that money them people donate. Every last single red cent and do what she needs to do with it.

RUBY

So why haven't they caught him and his cohorts yet? In the age of technological advancements they should have been able to track them down by now.

The CCTV images were crisp and clear. Even a 2 bit detective could be able to deduce that they were probably coming from a bar or venue in the area as they had been drinking. CCTV footage should be able to track down where they went next. Did they take a taxi? or did they go into a building in the area. At least one of the women had a phone in her hand which she was using. Pinpoint that cell phone and the records. 2 women and 2 men did not just disappear into the ether that night.

BronzeVenus

Pretty, Mean SIster
Man, whoever edited that video to show her being punched so many times can go to hell. So can those hoes that just walked off like that punk didn't just punch a female.

I'm seriously convinced that videos like this that are circulated of black women being attacked is a form of psychological warfare against black women, just like how police brutality against black men as a form of "entertainment" on the news was a form of psychological abuse on black people.

Last edited:

BronzeVenus

Pretty, Mean SIster
This is probably a controversial opinion, but I dgaf. We - as in black people in general but especially black women - need to start arming ourselves and learning how to properly use self defense weapons. Knives, guns, pepper spray, whatever it takes. I've started carrying around a knife and mace.

WhereItsAt

That’s what I do.. I drink and I know things....
I'm not watching because I just can't do this today. This is the very reason I don't feel bad about my true feelings of alabasters. They prove me right every single day of my life.

He's a coward and stupid SOB. I hope they find this man and arrest him, then sue his ass into being homeless.

People want to mistreat us as black women. From our own men to others.. I guess we dont deserve to be protected either.

Edited for profanity and missing words.

Last edited:

Chocolate_Silk

This is probably a controversial opinion, but I dgaf. We - as in black people in general but especially black women - need to start arming ourselves and learning how to properly use self defense weapons. Knives, guns, pepper spray, whatever it takes. I've started carrying around a knife and mace.

Me too, sad but I don't feel safe without something. I can't expect anyone to help me if anything goes wrong...

JerriBlank

Videos these days just make me think about how many of these savages got away with attacking black women in the past. Just walked away, scot free.
No wonder we've been holding on to religion for so long. What else can you tell yourself when you're abused for generations and no one is ever held responsible. You just live with the damage done to you. Smh.
Justice has been bypassing us for centuries. A man in the sky making it right in another life would make me feel better too.

belleama

Mike Heathers
11 hours ago
SPY BAR Thats the bar those punks hang at most weekends. They were there on that day also. The not so ladies that were with the not so man sub humans will give each other up sooner or later on their next fight. Or you can ask the people at SPY BAR who they are. Those punks should get the book thrown as a example. Im so sorry this has to happen to good people. Im just so sorry. Great things will come your way and please dont lose faith. These type of sub humans will be go to hell.

Look someone posted they know where they hang out!!!

ETA: Someone else said they have information on those "people" in the video.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
@ the bolded :yep:

I'm in no way blaming the woman but ain't no way I would take on an unarmed security guard job. It's kind of heartbreaking that a mother has to take on what really is a dangerous job in order to feed their family.

I don't know what nationality the resident is who set up the go fund me account but he's a credit to whoever his people are....even though I suspect it was partially done to keep her from suing the building but I'ma choose to believe it was a nice gesture as well.

Supervixen

I watched this totally accidentally on FB--I'm on my laptop and the video started playing automatically.

THIS WAS DISGUSTING. I was so disappointed that those females just looked calm and walked away like, "oh well." I'm not SURPRISE, but I was disappointed.

I doubt the police will ever find this SSA and if they do, I'm sure he won't be punished to the fullest extent of the law. I also hope the lady doesn't start talking about how she forgives him. *** THAT!

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
@ the bolded :yep:

I'm in no way blaming the woman but ain't no way I would take on an unarmed security guard job. It's kind of heartbreaking that a mother has to take on what really is a dangerous job in order to feed their family.

I don't know what nationality the resident is who set up the go fund me account but he's a credit to whoever his people are....even though I suspect it was partially done to keep her from suing the building but I'ma choose to believe it was a nice gesture as well.
i was DL wondering if she doesnt have benefits or some type of hazard pay and that she should probably sue the building too for those reasons if not. Why are they starting a GFM to cover her PTO? Sounds suspect.

toaster

i was DL wondering if she doesnt have benefits or some type of hazard pay and that she should probably sue the building too for those reasons if not. Why are they starting a GFM to cover her PTO? Sounds suspect.
A lot of buildings hire their security guards from a separate security company. The building is most likely not her employer and the contract between the building and the security company would specify that they have no liability towards whatever employee is sent to their building.

The security guard is also probably a contract employee so she probably has no legal rights to sue her employer either. She should (in an ideal world) be well compensated for the risks she takes in her job, but you never know.

FearlessNik

This isn't a racially motivated crime. It's an unfortunate part of the job. That A-Hole definitely commited a crime, but she's a security officer and part of her job is encountering violent people. It has nothing to do with her being a woman. When people see any form of "law enforcement" they don't generally see gender.

The GFM started out with a goal of 5k. In less that 24 hours the goal has been raised to 20k. She will be having surgery on her eye on Wednesday to fix the damage caused by the thug. The police will have some updates tomorrow about the assailant as I have a feeling that they will have some good news.

Comments:
- (Random commenter): What exactly is the Board of this building doing to contribute to Zoa's medical expenses and potential time she'll need to take off from work and school? You employ her and she got hurt on your watch, recorded by your building's camera's. I feel you owe it to all of the generous contributors to share YOUR commitment to Zoa's well-being, as I came here ready to donate and stopped because the building's board hasn't shared their intentions. She deserves YOUR support first and foremost.

-(Person who started the GFM): I wanted to comment on questions about her Worker's Comp Insurance. Zoa is employed through a Security agency that we have hired and she will be covered through their policy.