Black Hair and Corporate America

Syrah

Yea, we've talked about it, but not really TALKED about it. Some folks feel that black hair and corporate america don't mix - and what I mean by that is not ALL black hair, but traditional natural styles such as FRO's, some Lox/Twist and some braids.

It's all a matter of perception.

But let's flip the script - another sister on this board, with a beautiful TWA (teeny weenie afro) is having problems getting her hair to lay down. Some folks are saying "embrace your hair - it wasn't meant to lay down - let it be" and others are offering product advice and tips. Both of which are great. Learning to love and experiment with whatever hair texture we all have.

On another level: is there anything wrong with the belief that some hair styles that we might exhibit on a daily basis are not appropriate for certain situations? Is it wrong to think that my curly curls, while appropriate for my everyday work attire, may not be appropriate or convey the desired image on a FIRST INTERVIEW or SALES PITCH meeting?

For interviews I tend to wear my hair pulled back (to place the focus on my face) or down (only to look older, because I look young, and people comment on it ALL the time). But by doing so, am I buying into the beliefs that what is natural to blacks has no place in corporate america - or at least on a first round interview? Am I co-signing with the notion that my natural hair may not be the best "first impression" image in some situations? Or is it simply prudence or a "different" approach?

What are you thoughts?!

NOTE: This thread is about open dialogue. I'm hoping folks will feel comfortable being honest without feeling as though they may be hurting another's feelings. HAHA...I've got thick skin, I can take it. :)

Syrah

And then I wonder, is how you choose to wear your hair ANY DIFFERENT than what you choose to wear!?

i.e. Some consider open toed shoes ok for an interview. Others do not. Me? I don't do it. Some tone down the jewelery for interviews, others do not. Some think white suits are appropriate for interviews. Others do not.

Maybe we could be placing too much emphasis on the hair (and its implications) not realizing that it's all part of a package that is trying to be sold - and when you're trying to sell packages, you don't necessarily put the "best foot forward" but one that will appeal most to your customers (or in this case, the interviewers).

1QTPie

Elder Sim
This is from experience, not just mine, me and a bunch of my nappy friends. The only people that tend to care about our hair at work is US. White folks don't give a dern. At least not here in DC. I have a friend who's a in marketing, she's biracial, her hair is wavy, not curly or kinky. She has locs. They look like "white people" locs. Doesn't take away from her success at all. In fact there is a girl on my other message board who is a lawyer who has the exact same hair... she's doing fine.

I have a wild-haired nappy afroed girlfriend who is a chief operating officer, her hair doesn't affect the level of respect she gets at all. The more normal it is for us to just wear our hair the way it grows, the less of a "big deal" it will be. We have convinced ourselves that we can't be who we are.

With that said. The only things I think is inappropriate are: mohawks and frohawks, cornrows (allen iverson kind), dirty, smelly hair, multiple non-natural colors, phrases and numbers etched into your head, and men with long hair who wear it loose.

PaperClip

I have to concur with the post that said that WE care more about our hair (look, status, perception, etc.) than THEY do. I was in the corporate world for several years and I "dressed" my hair for the interview and then after I was with the place for a while, I wore braids (zillions/micros) occasionally and relaxed hair. I "dressed" my hair because that's what I was trained to do. Also, I contribute my hair decisions back then to what I thought was expected of me and that would make me "fit in". I didn't need another thing to separate me from others, because many times I was the youngest, the only Black female, and the most educated out of the bunch....

Now that I am better and wiser ;), I know that I am not my hair, personally, professionally, academically, etc. and I will wear my hair that is pleasing to me. Actually, I'm speaking by faith because I'm in the weird semi-state because I want more length before I wear my hair "out". It's a punk move on my part, but I just ain't ready yet! Plus, I'm in higher education (graduate school), so hair is less of a status marking.

so1913

1QTPie said:
This is from experience, not just mine, me and a bunch of my nappy friends. The only people that tend to care about our hair at work is US. White folks don't give a dern. At least not here in DC. I have a friend who's a in marketing, she's biracial, her hair is wavy, not curly or kinky. She has locs. They look like "white people" locs. Doesn't take away from her success at all. In fact there is a girl on my other message board who is a lawyer who has the exact same hair... she's doing fine.

I have a wild-haired nappy afroed girlfriend who is a chief operating officer, her hair doesn't affect the level of respect she gets at all. The more normal it is for us to just wear our hair the way it grows, the less of a "big deal" it will be. We have convinced ourselves that we can't be who we are.

With that said. The only things I think is inappropriate are: mohawks and frohawks, cornrows (allen iverson kind), dirty, smelly hair, multiple non-natural colors, phrases and numbers etched into your head, and men with long hair who wear it loose.

When I interviewed for my current corporate position, I wore my hair in a huge puff (I did not wear it completely out at the time because of the heat damaged that I had). I wanted to be sure that the job I accepted accepted ME. Yes, there are inappropriate styles for a corporate environment, like those mentioned above, but natural hair itself is NOT inapropriate! What's so inapproprate about a twa??? To me, thats one of the neatest, tamed, natural styles (proper cut/shaping and maintanance) that I know of! Speaking for myself, If I had 2 to 3 inches of natural hair, I think I would look ridiculous if I tried to get my TWA to do something else other than just "be". I usually wear my hair piled on the top of my head (big puff), or today I have it similar to my siggy pic, maybe a little bigger. It's been a long time since I've worn a slicked back low puff that some may consider more "tamed" (haven't worn it this summer). I have monthly meetings with the VP/Assist. Controller of my group monthly, and my hair does not change for that. I honestly think we make a bigger deal about our hair than is necessary due to OUR OWN INSECURITIES. As with any type of hair, natural, relaxed, colored, etc. there are inappropriate styles, but most of the natural styles people mention here as possibly being "inappropriate for the work place" are the simple, basic, common natural hair styles and that is pretty much telling us we need straighten our hair or gel it down in order to fit the hair codes of the work place which couldn't be further from the truth. We need to get over this fear of being accepted and accept ourselves.

Last edited:

Hibiscus30

so1913 well said...I am transitioning and I had to learn to accept and love my texture of hair. Honestly, I am still working on that insercurity because of "US". Before I decided to transition I was really stressed over whether or not my hair would be accepted, what a surprise! I work with predominately white coworkers and always get a compliment regarding my hair and how it has grown. (I wear it mostly pulled back in a big puff...I love it).

On the other hand, most of "US" ask "how come you don't relax your hair nomore", "are you going to be able to comb your hair" and "what you put on your hair, you must have 'good' hair". Before now I was always offended by those and many more comments, now I am embracing my tightly coiled hair. I am
also learning that it not just my insercurities, but those comments are just examples of how insercure one really is about themselves. For real, we need to get over that hair thang and do something productive like volunteer and help the homeless, single moms and children, charities, etc. That's what I do!;) (No offense to any one, JMHO!!)

Robin41

1QTPie said:

I have to agree with this post. I'm in a law firm and haven't had a corporate job in some time but I don't ever recall my hair being an issue at work (and I've been working more years than most of ya'll!). I've worn braid extensions (from short to very looooong), phony ponies, braid-outs, whatever, and I've never had a problem either interviewing or getting a job.

I think as long as your hair is neat and clean and appropriate for the environment you work in, it really shouldn't be an issue.

JustKiya

I totally agree - but with a slightly different spin. I went natural in college, and had twists in my hair when I interviewed for my first corporate job. Some folx asked me - aren't you worried that you might not get the job because of your hair? My response always (and still is) was: If they don't hire me - after looking at my qualifications, my personality, and my intelligence because of my (neat, cleaned, freshly styled, looking damn good if I do say so myself) HAIR - I don't WANT to work for them. Period. Mind you, I DID take my tongue ring out however - that was a fashion choice, not what god gave me.
Reminds me of how in the 80's, in order to be taken seriously in the corporate world as a woman, you had to look almost mannish - with the big shoulder pads and the OOOGLY flat shoes. Women got out of that by saying - and proving - that what I wear does NOT impact what is my head, OR what I can bring to a company.

Basically, I think that our natural hair should not be considered something - out of the usual - and can I TELL you how hot I was at Hampton over that SILLY rule they put in place for their business students - sending the TOTALLY wrong message that 'Natural hair isn't 'work' appropiate'. To me, that's damn near close to saying 'dark skin isn't 'work' appropiate' and that pushes us fivehundered steps back rather than moving us forward into a place that says 'Black folx NATURAL hair is just as appropiate as white folx NATURAL hair, and asking us to change that is asking us to pretend to be something that we aren't.'

Last edited:

Syrah

I read the first two sentences of your post and thought "thats exactly it".

We put FAR more emphasis on it than anyone else. :)

Syrah

I think you mistook my post to say that the a TWA is inappropriate for the work place. Not at all - but it is all a matter of perception. Like i mentioned in a later post, some people think open toed shoes in a "business casual" environment is inappropriate, others do not. I don't wear open toed shoes on interviews because I (me!) think it's inappropriate - others may disagree.

Perception.

But great thoughts.

Again, I'm thinking it has less to do with appropriateness and more to do with how we view ourselves and our perception. Like another poster said, it ain't them - it's us. 100% us.

Syrah

nappywomyn said:
I totally agree - but with a slightly different spin. I went natural in college, and had twists in my hair when I interviewed for my first corporate job. Some folx asked me - aren't you worried that you might not get the job because of your hair? My response always (and still is) was: If they don't hire me - after looking at my qualifications, my personality, and my intelligence because of my (neat, cleaned, freshly styled, looking damn good if I do say so myself) HAIR - I don't WANT to work for them. Period. Mind you, I DID take my tongue ring out however - that was a fashion choice, not what god gave me.
Reminds me of how in the 80's, in order to be taken seriously in the corporate world as a woman, you had to look almost mannish - with the big shoulder pads and the OOOGLY flat shoes. Women got out of that by saying - and proving - that what I wear does NOT impact what is my head, OR what I can bring to a company.

Basically, I think that our natural hair should not be considered something - out of the usual - and can I TELL you how hot I was at Hampton over that SILLY rule they put in place for their business students - sending the TOTALLY wrong message that 'Natural hair isn't 'work' appropiate'. To me, that's damn near close to saying 'dark skin isn't 'work' appropiate' and that pushes us fivehundered steps back rather than moving us forward into a place that says 'Black folx NATURAL hair is just as appropiate as white folx NATURAL hair, and asking us to change that is asking us to pretend to be something that we aren't.'
Great post!

If all that you bring to the table is overlooked on account of ONE aspect of your appearance, quality is clearly not the focus.

HOWEVER - again, the fact that some chose to wear their natural hair BACK as opposed to OUT - is that accepting the BS or simply choosing to do what one may believe to be "prudent"?

Cheleigh

MsNadi said:
HOWEVER - again, the fact that some chose to wear their natural hair BACK as opposed to OUT - is that accepting the BS or simply choosing to do what one may believe to be "prudent"?

I think one can employ some prudence and judgement, given the industry, your locale, the company, etc. I am in the position to hire jr. marketing staff here, and I don't care what their hair looks like, as long as it's not distracting. A shrunken fro, afro, afro puff, bun, braids pulled back, or ponytail is not distracting to me. Long hair past shoulders, too obvious weaves, frohawks, long unrestrained braids are. As such, I won't not hire you if you're otherwise qualified and I think you'd be a good fit, but I'd question your judgement a little bit.

Same goes for clothing, by the way.

I am a 10 year marketing veteran (mid-level position) and I've had natural hair for most of this year. I wear shrunken fros 90% of the time--from meeting with city elected officials to making presentations before the Board of Directors. I just don't think it matters much I've noticed no difference in how I'm percieved by peers or clients.