BLACK HAIR CARE VS. WHITE HAIR CARE - which do YOU prefer?

How does your hair respond to black vs. white products?

• "White" products work for me i.e. Nexxus

Votes: 100 26.4%
  • "Black" prodcuts work best for me

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • I can use both

Votes: 255 67.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

taytay86

Ladies,

do you find that "white" salon quality products work better for your hair than black products?

I know a lot of stylist are "biassed" and assume white products (i.e. joico,nexxus) aren't made for black hair, therefore they don't use it. They prefer to stick to the Mizani's and Dark and Lovely's of the world because they're "safe". What most people don't realize is many of our "black" products made by white companies - i.e. Revlon makes Cream of Nature.

Thoughts?

missnappylady

I can use both "white" and "black" products. When it comes to hair gel, I HAVE to use "black" gel. I haven't found a "white" gel that can tame this hair yet.

TaurusAngel

I don't think either is a difference. I use whatever i'm sure is good for me. I love using Dove shampoo and conditioner, but i also use Dr. Miracles and Africa's best. So its all about what your hair likes, not the company the product is made by.

MochaKochaLatte

I also agree with both. I usually use black hair care products like keracare, ORS, motions..etc.But since I have came across this forum I have been using "white" hair care products like nexxus, dove...etc. and they work just as well, I will use whatever works for my hair.

Kawaii1

I also agree with both. I usually use black hair care products like keracare, ORS, motions..etc.But since I have came across this forum I have been using "white" hair care products like nexxus, dove...etc. and they work just as well, I will use whatever works for my hair.

KeraCare is a black hair product? Oh, well I guess I mostly use black hair care products. A lot of white people stuff dries my hair out but I would use white people stuff if it was good stuff.

JLove74

There is a whole lot of marketing in hair products that make people think that one product is for 'black hair' and another for 'white hair'. Alberto VO5 is a good example - the hot oil treatments have different packaging, one placed in with the 'black hair care' section the other in 'white hair care' section, but they have the exact same ingredients!

I use whatever works for me. Forget black hair care over white hair care, folks are using products for non-humans (horses) and getting great results:lachen:

WomanlyCharm

I've used black, white, indian and animal hair care products...whatever works for me!

Your skin color and hair texture doesn't automatically dictate which products you are supposed to use. The sooner some people understand that, the better! :yep:

tinkat

I don't really distinguish hair products like that. Like everyone else said, whatever works for me.

Dposh167

my hair responds better to black hair products....with good ingredients that is...

the white hair products are just 'blah' on my hair. nothing exciting. but i'll still use one or two for cowashes

discodumpling

I've never thoguht that my hair is made out of anything diferent that y/t folks hair. Hair is hair. The fact that there is an "ethnic haircare section" agutates me a little bit. :ohwell: Exactly what is in black hair care products that y/t people can't use & vice versa? ...I just use what works for my fine nappy hair!

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I use both, but mostly white products. My hair loves Sunsilk, Herbal Essences, Dove, etc. A lot of black products just sit on my hair and do absolutely nothing for me

Valerie

Well, I mostly use White Hair care products, which I buy in my local supermaket. I use like Black castor oil, Wild growth oil, surge, and the rest I make up myself.

I'll take anything that works. Lately, I've been trying some of the "white" products because I like for my hair to feel as silky as it does when I leave the salon. And it seems that I can only achieve that silky-like feeling with products that are low on grease-stuff.

Energist

Well I personally feel there are some differences in the ingredients and I have found that Italian and Spanish products work best on my hair. For some reason it seems that some of the Black haircare products have some harsher combinations of ingredients, as if we need it because of the courseness of our hair. I do like some ethnic products from the Cream of Nature line though. I am still discovering Kera Care line.

Evazhair

I vote both. I can have good results with "Black" products with good ingredients. I must say that lately the Italian(Alter Ego),Spanish(Salerm) and white american(Kenra &Biolage) products are really doing it for me though. At the same time Natural Oasis pomade (Black) is a lifetime staple. My dominican products are still working well as well.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
I'll use almost any kind of product in my hair, just as long as it works at keeping my hair healthy and strong.

RubyWoo

Although I haven't used much white products, I still prefer quality products designed for black hair care. My staples include Mizani, Design Essentials and ORS and they work perfectly for my hair by providing tons of moisture and the right balance of strength. They were specially created for highly textured hair and they are on the money with their products with respect to addressing the needs of my type of hair. I occasionally use Redken which is a very good product line but Mizani, ORS and Design Essentials products are much better for my hair.

GOD

I've never thoguht that my hair is made out of anything diferent that y/t folks hair. Hair is hair. The fact that there is an "ethnic haircare section" agutates me a little bit. :ohwell: Exactly what is in black hair care products that y/t people can't use & vice versa? ...I just use what works for my fine nappy hair!
Ur right, your hair isnt made out of anything different, but ethnic hair and scalps have been shown to differ from other types, say caucasian or asian peoples in the actual structure of the hair and scalp.

Ethnic hair products are, or at least are supposed to be, formulated differently to cater better to the consumers needs.

discodumpling

While I understand the folicular differences between str8 & curly hair. I've found nothing that differentiates the actual chemical make up of hair between races & or ethnicities. The primary component in hair is keratin, unless "black" keratin differs from that produced by our y/t counterparts....Hair is Hair.

Last edited:

JustKiya

I don't even know what a 'white' hair care product is vs. a 'black' one.... and my hair doesn't care what skin color the product is 'made' for either.... I prefer to use products made for PEOPLE, and even then I'll step outside the lines (jacking products from Mr. Ed on the DL :lachen:)

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Okay, I can understand where you guys are coming from, but I think some of you are getting way too serious about this.

We all know that we can use whatever proucts we want, everyone's hair is made up of the same stuff. We also know that there are products specifically marketed towards white people and those marketed towards black people.

You won't see a white girl in a Pink Lotion or Dark And Lovely commercial, just like you won't see a black girl in a Nexxus or Herbal Essence commercial

The question simply is: What works best for you-- Products marketed towards black folks or products marketed towards white folks. Nothing more, nothing less.

glamazon386

I use both but I use more products that are marketed to white people. I've found that a lot of the products marketed to black people are full of mineral oil and petrolatum. The more expensive lines are better. The white products use better ingredients and leave my hair feeling better after the fact. And I can get that with many of the drug store products. I'd rather get more bang for my buck.

Dposh167

Okay, I can understand where you guys are coming from, but I think some of you are getting way too serious about this.

We all know that we can use whatever proucts we want, everyone's hair is made up of the same stuff. We also know that there are products specifically marketed towards white people and those marketed towards black people.

You won't see a white girl in a Pink Lotion or Dark And Lovely commercial, just like you won't see a black girl in a Nexxus or Herbal Essence commercial

The question simply is: What works best for you-- Products marketed towards black folks or products marketed towards white folks. Nothing more, nothing less.

:thankyou:....u said exactly what i was trying to say in my post...just more articulately!

discodumpling

My point exactly. What could possibly be in Pink Oil that would be more damaging to y/t hair than black? :rolleyes:

It's nice to be above the influence of marketing.