BLACK HAIR HATE!!..

Qetesh

This thread is interesting

When I was young my mother never really knew how to properly take care of my hair. she would always blow dry it and then put it up in pigtails, by the end of the day my pigtails were dry and frizzy, I remember white children asking me why my hair was always sticking up, and really as much as anyone could say that’s racist I believe it was jus as simple as it looked odd and my mother didn’t really know how to properly tame my hair at the time though she did what she thought was right. I would have looked better in a braid out but she never thought to do this to my hair and always blow dried it which made it dry and frizzy. When I did get small braids with beads the white children loved it and seriously wanted their hair done the same way.

Now after years of hot combing I wore my hair natural occasionally, white people were always the first to compliment me on it, black people I didn’t know would say “how did you get your hair like that?” which is not really a compliment or a discouragement more like an observation. I would reply with oil and a braid and letting it air dry or I would say its jus like this if I let it air-dry which was true. The black people who commented never said they “liked” it initially because it wasn’t long and sleek like it is flat ironed but they also seemed interested because it didn’t look un-kept or overly messy. This uncertainty made me wonder if I even looked good with it natural.
My FAMILY members would comment with “you better straighten her hair b4 it matts up” or “whoowhee how do u plan on combing through all of that?” since they ONLY complimented my hair when it was bone straight this seriously had me not liking it natural, I was probably 16 at the time and I felt like I was only pretty if my hair was as close to bone straight as I could get it. I guess all the white folks comments of praise didn’t really add in comparison to the questioning and discouragement from AA I got.

My point is it is very true that you will get more hate from your own then you will from other races. Now I wont lie I do get compliments from black people on my natural hair and its good to know, a lot of it is its slowly but surely becoming more accepted and that is a good thing. So overall I think AA’s are taking steps in the right direction regarding our natural hair and texture sites like this are seriously helping it out as well.

Country gal

LuvLiLocks said:
Hmmm, I agree with you to some extent. For the most part what I've noticed is that if hair is healthy and beautiful, no matter what the texture, grade or length, you will get compliments. I think that quality is definitely a big factor in hair. A 3inch 4zzz that is well kept is just as attractive as a 2c 24inches..IMO, and many people I know.

Good hair meaning healthy, great condition will get compliments. If you have long jacked up hair than I ain't giving you no compliment.

I have experienced the good and the bad. I do agree that sometimes we are insecure when we try new styles and need confirmation that it looks good. When I first went natural, I was very insecure and it showed. I am very comfortable sporting my natural hair. I get compliments. I also get ignorant comments too. I just shake those haters off.

MeccaMedinah

I'll take the high road since CountryGal & SO did, as usual ;)

I have generally received compliments or no comment at all since going natural. But, one day at the mall 2 girls & a guy walked next to me and he sang, " Picky, picky. She picky, picky like trash." That was an obvious stab at my nappy head.
Considering I haven't walked out of the house with matted bed-head I can only assume he, like many others, just doesn't like "highly textured" afro hair.
When I thought that Black women had to relax their hair or else they'd have a dry brillo on their heads I was an unintentional self hater, like the dude at the mall. And then I woke up when I found LHCF; everything made sense.

thefineprint

tsiporah said:
Cayenne0622 said:
I think the major reason why they see it as problematic is because WE see it as problematic. You attitude about your self will show without saying anything, it is your actions and how one feels about their hair.

I completely agree.

BrownSkin2

seraphinelle said:
I find that on this site we're all here for the same goal, long hair.

Whether it's relaxed, natural, texlaxed, etc.

I think it's because we're all educated on that the health of our hair is important.

on the other hand, outside, most of the insults I get are from relaxed black females.

Most of my compliments come from non-black people.

I have to agree with you here. This has been my experience.