Black Hair Shop.I was disguisted. INDUSTRY KILLLINR OUR HAIR

kizzylonghair

I got the pjism today to try something new.. I want to my local Black hair shop its sells just about everything you can think of.

Anyway firstly let me tell you that this shop is run by Asian men, They must see the 'Money' that can be made from selling our products I mean £10, £15
($20, $25) for a shampoo. Go figure.... I was a little disappointed that it wasnt black owned of at least run my someone that has interest in hair. There were NO FEMALES workers in there period.
'One of them even had the cheek to try and recommend me a product'

Anyway I carried on walking around the shop and picked up products and read some labels. I realised that the Black Care industry that is supposed to be helping us is actually kILLING OUR HAIR...

I read one product that was for breaking & damaged hair. The instructions were to apply this product 3 times per day on dry hair.
It contained so much protein the person wouldnt have any hair left after a few weeks if they thought that all they had to do was apply this.

I saw pure oils with labels on that had so many other ingrediants on it (things I could not pronoune) and when they finally added the oils on the list they were a chemical subsitute.

I saw moisturisers with no WATER in them

I could rant on all day about the products I found and they were not just cheapies either.

It appeared as though the industry thinks JUST PUT PROTEIN IN IT to strength their hair. But have forgot to give us the MOISTURE

Surely they should know what our hair needs by now. I understand why Cathy Howse developed her own products out of frustrastion.

I actually was looking for a moistuser that contains no mineral, petrolum, and no protein. Could I find it. I have had to give in and just choose one that has only one of these and its on the very bottom of the ingrediants list. I may just order Cathy Howse's one

Why should I have to apply a sub-standard product to my hair just because the industry hasnt kept up WITH US

They need to do BETTER

Sorry for the long rant but had to get this off my chest

Kizzy x

shoelover1972

ITA with you :yep:. It makes me angry that so many products that are marketed to 'care' for blackhair do the complete opposite. It's like the manufacturers think that by throwing in tons of mineral / pretroleum oil it's ok then they slap a hefty price for the priviledge.

Kizzylonghair where do you buy your products? I go to a place called Nubian Jacks - it is black owned and they have all of the things i need plus alot (but not all) of the products that are recommended here.

zigzag1

Hi Pradalover

Where is Nubian Jack?

Kizzylonghair
ITA and to add insult to injury the men follow you around as if your going to steal something or they invade your personal space and call you darling. This happened today in a new shop opened in my area.

kizzylonghair

pradalover said:
ITA with you :yep:. It makes me angry that so many products that are marketed to 'care' for blackhair do the complete opposite. It's like the manufacturers think that by throwing in tons of mineral / pretroleum oil it's ok then they slap a hefty price for the priviledge.

Kizzylonghair where do you buy your products? I go to a place called Nubian Jacks - it is black owned and they have all of the things i need plus alot (but not all) of the products that are recommended here.

Prada.. I am from Birmingham.
The shop I go is called Beauty Queens.

Its so bad what they are selling us. But its other ladies that dont have information like us that I really feel sorry for.
They could be really trying and spending loads of money thinking that they are doing the best for there hair and it still dont grow

Kizzy

kizzylonghair

zigzag1 said:
Hi Pradalover

Where is Nubian Jack?

Kizzylonghair
ITA and to add insult to injury the men follow you around as if your going to steal something or they invade your personal space and call you darling. This happened today in a new shop opened in my area.

Zig LOL

The men we like this

:look: :look: :look: :look: :look: :look: :look: :look: :look:

The joke is that they keep all the expenive stuff behind a counter, so what do they think i was gonna steal PINK Oil Moisturiser :laugh:

Last edited:

kizzylonghair

nikki1971 said:
This is why I buy very few products geared toward black haircare.

I agree with you. I would that most of my hair products are not geared towards blackhair care.

Thats a real shame though

kizzylonghair

Netta1 said:
Killing our hair, try killing US!

For real.

What do you mean?

Do you think they are trying to suppress us by keeping away one of the things we desire most....healthy long hair

rai

kizzylonghair said:
What do you mean?

Do you think they are trying to suppress us by keeping away one of the things we desire most....healthy long hair

I don't think Netta was going there. I think she meant that all these products filled with chemicals and stuff must also be bad for our overall health, not just our haircare....

macherieamour

lol, Once again Im going to deviate from the pack, sigh. I dont think we should blame black hair companies. At the time that Luster Hot Pink oil and all the other products laden with mineral oil and petroleum were invented, that probably was the latest technology out there. Its kinda like when everyone thought eating tons of pasta and oil were the keys to long life. Now whole grains are the devil and everyone is told to eat meat and vegetables and organic food. So Im sure black companies werent conspiring to force feed us mineral oil and petroleum products to just turn a profit off black hair ( but of course, i could be wrong). Thats just what we thought was good for our hair back in the day.

Furthermore, a lot black owned companies have been bought by major hair companies anyways so its really the companies that have the research and technology to improve the product yet dont, that we should be mad at. Im not mad at the few black companies that are still black owned that may not have the resources to integrate some rare brazilian nut extract to go along with the botanical trend or may not have the resources to pay the most coveted scientists like revlon and loreal can. Instead, like I do with my clothing, art, music and skincare, i try to support black owned enterprises and hope to make changes one day from the inside out.

lynette

It's funny you bring this topic up b/c on Tuesday me and two girls from my job went to and asian owned beauty store. Out of curiosity I wanted to see how many products had ingredients that was bad for the hair, I couldn't believe my eyes and at that the store was packed with all black girls buying everything from weaves (no offense to anyone who does wear them) to false eyelashes. I mean one woman had at least $50.00 worth of hair lotion, conditioner and shampoo. I'm so glad that I don't abuse my hair like I did in the past. One lady asked me what type of weave I had and when I told her my hair is real, she asked how a brown skinned woman such as my self can have REAL hair the touches the middle of my back, I told her it's simple, I just take care of it. Anyway I think it's sad that so many of us still have unhealthy hair and balding hair lines.

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
i dont like using "black" (pantene relaxed and natural or softsheen carson)products because my hair doesnt do well with them. natural products in general or "white" products (suave conditioner) work better on my hair.

jodydreams

for real..sometimes i feel like handing out cards with this site on it to black women. people look at us like it is imposible for us to have long hair cuz it is not seen often. well if they didnt fill our products with junk then maybe it would be possible. and has there been enough research done by these companies to see what works? shoo WE have done more research!

sareca

jodydreams said:
for real..sometimes i feel like handing out cards with this site on it to black women. people look at us like it is imposible for us to have long hair cuz it is not seen often. well if they didnt fill our products with junk then maybe it would be possible. and has there been enough research done by these companies to see what works? shoo WE have done more research!

Me too. I thought I was the only one wanting to hand out cards.

napgurl

macherieamour said:
Furthermore, a lot black owned companies have been bought by major hair companies anyways so its really the companies that have the research and technology to improve the product yet dont, that we should be mad at.
Very true. I don't think that there is much research being conducted. Just a lot of repackaging and marketing of old products.

phynestone

Once I became a member of this site, I could no longer just buy any type of hair product. I became an educated consumer of hair care products and most of my products aren't catered to black people. If more black women were to educate themselves about their hair instead of just looking for a cute style, we would see healthier heads of hair everywhere! I try to educate people, but you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped sometimes.

Porsche19

I find that this is the case not only with black hair products, but many products in general.

Thank God that some companies actually make good products and don't try to sell PURE CRAP!

Luvableboo

19sweetie said:
Once I became a member of this site, I could no longer just buy any type of hair product. I became an educated consumer of hair care products and most of my products aren't catered to black people. If more black women were to educate themselves about their hair instead of just looking for a cute style, we would see healthier heads of hair everywhere! I try to educate people, but you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped sometimes.

I hear you!!! Once again I have to thank you ladies for teaching me the rights and the wrongs. I am on the road to healthy hair :lol:

Mahalialee4

I think that from the time Plymouth Rock landed on us, we began at square one in terms of our hair care . The familiar things, like natural butters and oils were not available to us in this country, no, we were not privileged to have the basic hair care facilities, products or opportunities that Miss Anne took for granted...we brushed her hair but were not allowed the means and ways for our own. It has been a long hard road, that had huge signs that read: "This is not for you...you cannot have this...you should not do this...Your hair!" Now that the veil has been lifted, for those willing to learn, to believe, it is slowly changing, mainly within and by us, individually. Sadly, the hair product industry is taking advantage of our desire to maximize our hair potential, knowing that we will spend the money, but they too often are just throwing in a token herb or two that may add up to one drop of herb per 100 bottles, and some sweet smelling snake oils, churning out the cheapest products for the maximum dollar for us, but it is often not even BY US!!! 98 PERCENT OF THE COMPANIES that are making black hair products know that Miss Anne would not be caught dead with some of this stuff!!! White companies make this stuff and Asian and Indian vendors stock their shelves to sell it to you, and when you go in they cash in. I am very discriminatory about what products I will buy, but believe me, they are not going to pawn some mess off on me. As much as possible, I purchase natural organic products or old fashioned proven products, such as shea butter, black soap, Grandpa's Pine tar soap, honey, natural carrier oils, and some products that have an excellent track record based on product quality. The only people that are intended to have some of this stuff SLOPPED TO, is black women! We are the only ones with the power to make them give us what we want and it is not by perpetuating the stereotype that grease is all we need!!!! to keep our hair stiff, full of knots, sweating and odorous, weak and brittle, short and breaking. Yes, it is intentional. They have been stealing our crowns for years, but, People only continue TO STOCK WHAT SELLS!!!! Bonjour

kizzylonghair

rai said:
I don't think Netta was going there. I think she meant that all these products filled with chemicals and stuff must also be bad for our overall health, not just our haircare....

OK, you are right about our overall health. Some of these chemicals cant be good for us.

I still think they trying to HOLD US DOWN!!

Kizzy

kizzylonghair

Mahalialee4 said:
I think that from the time Plymouth Rock landed on us, we began at square one in terms of our hair care . The familiar things, like natural butters and oils were not available to us in this country, no, we were not privileged to have the basic hair care facilities, products or opportunities that Miss Anne took for granted...we brushed her hair but were not allowed the means and ways for our own. It has been a long hard road, that had huge signs that read: "This is not for you...you cannot have this...you should not do this...Your hair!" Now that the veil has been lifted, for those willing to learn, to believe, it is slowly changing, mainly within and by us, individually. Sadly, the hair product industry is taking advantage of our desire to maximize our hair potential, knowing that we will spend the money, but they too often are just throwing in a token herb or two that may add up to one drop of herb per 100 bottles, and some sweet smelling snake oils, churning out the cheapest products for the maximum dollar for us, but it is often not even BY US!!! 98 PERCENT OF THE COMPANIES that are making black hair products know that Miss Anne would not be caught dead with some of this stuff!!! White companies make this stuff and Asian and Indian vendors stock their shelves to sell it to you, and when you go in they cash in. I am very discriminatory about what products I will buy, but believe me, they are not going to pawn some mess off on me. As much as possible, I purchase natural organic products or old fashioned proven products, such as shea butter, black soap, Grandpa's Pine tar soap, honey, natural carrier oils, and some products that have an excellent track record based on product quality. The only people that are intended to have some of this stuff SLOPPED TO, is black women! We are the only ones with the power to make them give us what we want and it is not by perpetuating the stereotype that grease is all we need!!!! to keep our hair stiff, full of knots, sweating and odorous, weak and brittle, short and breaking. Yes, it is intentional. They have been stealing our crowns for years, but, People only continue TO STOCK WHAT SELLS!!!! Bonjour

I hear you :clap: I just don’t understand why it has to be like this.
If they made GOOD QUALITY PRODUCTS they would make money. People would continue to buy what works.
It makes me laugh that people will buy a product based on smell!! :wave: I used to be one of them. Where as now a good product with a good smell is just a bonus.
I remember all I used to do was grease my scalp….during my journey it’s the first time I have used (REAL) essential oil and natural butters and nothing else will do.

What really annoys me :angry: Is products that say they all Natural/Afrian that are not

I mean a natural hair gel….go figure

But as long as we keep buying they will keep stocking

Kizzy

kizzylonghair

macherieamour said:
lol, Once again Im going to deviate from the pack, sigh. I dont think we should blame black hair companies. At the time that Luster Hot Pink oil and all the other products laden with mineral oil and petroleum were invented, that probably was the latest technology out there. Its kinda like when everyone thought eating tons of pasta and oil were the keys to long life. Now whole grains are the devil and everyone is told to eat meat and vegetables and organic food. So Im sure black companies werent conspiring to force feed us mineral oil and petroleum products to just turn a profit off black hair ( but of course, i could be wrong). Thats just what we thought was good for our hair back in the day.

Furthermore, a lot black owned companies have been bought by major hair companies anyways so its really the companies that have the research and technology to improve the product yet dont, that we should be mad at. Im not mad at the few black companies that are still black owned that may not have the resources to integrate some rare brazilian nut extract to go along with the botanical trend or may not have the resources to pay the most coveted scientists like revlon and loreal can. Instead, like I do with my clothing, art, music and skincare, i try to support black owned enterprises and hope to make changes one day from the inside out.

I totally agree with you about new products that changed the way we looked after our years ago. I was PINK oil user for years I thought it was the bomb!
But these companies really need to move with the times, and I am not just blaming them as WE have a choice or not to buy the products.
They could do a little more research.. its not fair to pick up a product, read the label and it does more harm than good.

Kizzy

kizzylonghair

macherieamour said:

When it comes to hair care THE GUIDENCE is just not there. Whilst I was in the shop I say ladies asking the male Asian workers ‘What conditioner should I buy’? I was in deep :shock: :shock: :shock:
I have someone ask for a recommendation and that’s cool. I helped her. But this poor girl just wanted a little help. I could have been anyone, telling her to buy PINK Oil Moisturizer :laugh: and she would have taken my advice

Kizzy

kizzylonghair

PittGirl06 said:
i dont like using "black" (pantene relaxed and natural or softsheen carson)products because my hair doesnt do well with them. natural products in general or "white" products (suave conditioner) work better on my hair.

I suppose in the end its what work best for you

Kizzy

kizzylonghair

jodydreams said:

Your right its whole load of junk in the products… They need to do more research.
BUT THEY SMELL GOOD :laugh: ANY ONE REMEMBER JAM
I have no idea what its actual benefit was, but it smelled so good

Kizzy

kizzylonghair

Porsche19 said:
I find that this is the case not only with black hair products, but many products in general.

Thank God that some companies actually make good products and don't try to sell PURE CRAP!

Your right they need educating….. But the industry aint gonna do it they want our money.

Kizzy

Stormy

lynette said:
It's funny you bring this topic up b/c on Tuesday me and two girls from my job went to and asian owned beauty store. Out of curiosity I wanted to see how many products had ingredients that was bad for the hair, I couldn't believe my eyes and at that the store was packed with all black girls buying everything from weaves (no offense to anyone who does wear them) to false eyelashes. I mean one woman had at least $50.00 worth of hair lotion, conditioner and shampoo. I'm so glad that I don't abuse my hair like I did in the past. One lady asked me what type of weave I had and when I told her my hair is real, she asked how a brown skinned woman such as my self can have REAL hair the touches the middle of my back, I told her it's simple, I just take care of it. Anyway I think it's sad that so many of us still have unhealthy hair and balding hair lines.

That's really sad. See, this is the kind of thing that makes me really consider going to beauty school and getting my cosmetology license. I see people like this and wanna reach out and help them.

macherieamour

Awww man, hearing things like this makes me soo excited. This is what I wanna do. I wanna take back ethnic hair care and put it back in the hands of ethnic people. I mean we are doing it with music, art, clothing and skin care. I want to own salons, retail shops founded on educating the clientele. I want to manufacture equipment for us to use in salons and our homes equipped with the latest technology to prevent damage. I want to make products that promote healthy hair and not just use cheap recycled formulas and cheap chemicals to keep the cost of making the product low and the sale price high. Mineral oil, petroleum and the sulfates are easy to acquire and cehap to use.Thats what scares me about big companies like Pantene selling black products. I mean, lets be honest, Pantene has a CEO that is focused on the bottom line- sell the most products as possible for the maximum amount of profit. I find it hard to believe that he or shes is throwing in sodium lauryl sulfate for our health. Its cheap to make and helps create that lathering sensation we have been indoctrinated to believe makes out hair cleaner. So yeah, look out for me cause its about time we take back control of OUR industry.

A good book to read on all thsi stuff is DOnt go shopping with out me- it talks about what chemicals are good, cheap and bad for you.