Black Hair...White Salon

JFK

Hi Ladies,

I am desperate for a cut/trim but don't want to spend alot of money (those two things don't mix well for black salons in DC).

So, I'm thinking of flatironing my hair and going to HairCuttery or Supercuts for a short bob cut. I read on yelp that they charge around $18 (UNFREAKINGBELIEVEABLE)!

Have any of you gone to a salon with a predominately white clientle for services? Did it work out well?

BTW: I was natural but self relaxed last month, I'm texlaxed so that's why I would straighten before going.

TIA Ladies!

davisbr88

When I went away to school in Blacksburg, Va, black salons weren't an option.
I went to a white salon in a mall regularly and no one has ever cut my hair better, or taken my length goals in consideration more than the girl I used to frequent.

Last edited:

kittikat24

I'm sure if you flat-iron previously, any salon (whether white, black, asian) will be able to give a decent cut.
I think when they're dealing with our natural curly texture, it takes a salon that specializes in natural hair.

Spiffy

When I went away to school in Blacksburg, Va, black salons weren't an option.
I went to a white salon in a mall regularly and no one has ever cut my hair better, or took my length goals in consideration more than the girl I used to frequent.

Same for me! I was a hair cutting fanatic and my stylist was the first person who told me not to cut my hair so often if my ends were healthy (pre-LHCF).

OP, If you're concerned, I've visited "White" salons that have Black stylists who come in as needed, so ask around.

Charlie555

I have gone to a Super Cuts for a few trims. I was happy with the result & price. I flat ironed my hair bone straight before going. I over emphasized how much I wanted cut by showing the stylist with my fingers and the ends of my hair. The thing I love about places like Super Cuts is they keep you facing the mirror! None of that swivel you in the chair business.

HTH

Lucia

Yes this are the only places I would go to get a ggod cut simple even and blunt.
I always washed straightened first it's just easier for them.
They never cut too much it's just where you show them on your body you want your hair to be then they do that if they see mire damage they ask first. But talk and show them what yo want first before any cutting starts.

freecurl

I also went to Hair Cuttery the last time I straightened my hair and the stylist did a good job. She respected my wishes of only cutting about an inch all around. They charged $15. Hopefully will get them to do it again soon.

LadyRaider

I watched a lady at Supercuts cut a little girl's hair that was wavy (she was mixed... SHE WAS I SAW HER MOM!) The stylist cut off a LOT if you ask me.

So when I sat in her chair, I said, "Look... I don't want all that cut off." And I went on about an 1/8 inch and split ends etc. etc.

Well the woman misunderstood me and she said, "I won't have any trouble with your hair because yours is straightened (I flat ironed it before going in.) It was hard to know how and what to cut with that little girl's hair."

So I think they do a good job of following directions, but just make sure you flat iron first. Some of them can handle the curly hair... but you're better safe than sorry.

davisbr88

When I went, she flat ironed my hair for me (but it was also extremely heat damaged at that time from damn near daily flat ironing, so I guess that's not the best measure). IA with straightening before you go.

MariposaSexyGirl

I went to a hair cutting place with Caucasian workers. I flat ironed it pin straight before I went. She did a good job. She told me I had nice hair and offered to style it for free lol. All she did was use a curling iron and hair spray. That style only lasted a day. But she only cut a half an inch like I asked. This was years ago though.

Evo-ny

My regular stylist is a Caucasian girl that grew up on a farm in the Midwest. She has done a better job than any black stylist here in the city. She's a master at dyeing hair, so seeing as she knows how to touch up roots, I figured she could touch up my new growth with relaxer. She does it perfectly every time and I haven't gone anywhere else since I discovered her.

She can also flat iron my hair to the consistency of silk and only trims what's necessary. I don't trust anyone else with my hair, not even my mother!

isawstars

My aunt is natural and goes to a beauty school. I've decided I'm going to start doing the same. The Aveda School charges 14 bucks, and my aunt says teachers watch the students as a hawk. Once she even had a teacher do her hair as a demonstration for one of the students.

ImanAdero

The last two times I've been to a salon it's been a hair school. When I was in Philly I either went to Aveda or the Empire school down in Center City.

As the previous poster said, the teachers watch like a hawk and they've ALWAYS done a good job on my hair. You just have to make sure they don't use the round bristle brush to straighten your hair. Other than that, it's great!

BklynHeart

I wish there was a Hair Cuttery in NY. I'm mad because my co-worker's friend was training at Aveda and offered to do my hair. But that's when we had that big blizzard so I wasn't able to go see her. Her training was about to end too.

shenitab

My oldest daughter and I are natural, we have both received trims without a problem. We both had stylists that were not black. I think I had mine washed, blowdried, and trimmed. My daughter had her hair washed, blow dried and flat ironed. The stylist did not get her ends as straight as I liked which was ok (lawd knows she did a better job than I could. My mom straightened her ends when we got back to her house using an on the stove straighten comb (I'm too scared to use that method).

I liked the stylist that my daughter used better. I think she had a lot of experience with black hair (that Hair Cuttery was in a black neighborhood). She was gentle and did a good job. The stylist I went to (Hair Cuttery in more diverse neighborhood) pretty much told me that I should relax my hair and I didn't really like that overall vibe. She did do a good job with the trim that I asked for.

There were black stylists and stylists of other backgrounds that worked at both salons. I don't really like asking for the "black stylist" cause I know that doing that does not necessarily mean that you are going to get a stylist that knows what to do with your hair.

I would suggest calling maybe or letting the person at the desk know what you want and asking them who they recommend. If you just want a trim or a cut, I think you are fine just as long as you tell whichever stylist exactly what you want. I would go back for trims - they are inexpensive and I was happy with them.

Glamourstruckk

I've gotten everything but a relaxer at one of these places. I've often seen that these chain salons have at least one African American stylist if you want more than a trim and they're cheaper too!

zoromo

When I was relaxed I used to go to hair cuttery all the the time and both the black and white staff did a good job. As a natural on the other hand, I agree with the ladies above, make sure you do not go curly, who knows the results you would get.

Rei

Hi Ladies,

I am desperate for a cut/trim but don't want to spend alot of money (those two things don't mix well for black salons in DC).

So, I'm thinking of flatironing my hair and going to HairCuttery or Supercuts for a short bob cut. I read on yelp that they charge around $18 (UNFREAKINGBELIEVEABLE)!

Have any of you gone to a salon with a predominately white clientle for services? Did it work out well?

BTW: I was natural but self relaxed last month, I'm texlaxed so that's why I would straighten before going.

TIA Ladies!

NO. oh god save yourself, no. I went to supercuts to get a short cut and they BUTCHERED ME. And I went to a supercuts that had a black lady. She had no idea how to handle black hair, and could not understand how to cut hair in a style that would look even halfway decent after you leave the salon. I had a magazine for a reference, and it was a very simple cut, nothing complicated. The thing is, if I had a straigher hair type, it probably would not have been that bad but it that cut did not work with my hairtype at all (this was back when I was relaxed, so my hair was straight, but it still won't act the same as a natural type 1).

stay away! I left the salon almost in tears.

lacreolegurl

My regular stylist is at the Hair Cuttery and she is caucasion. She does a wonderful job with my color/flatiron and cuts. She only cuts off what I ask and she actually did my BC for me. Initially when I went to her, I would flatiron before heading over, but now I allow her to do it all. She will only cut it after my hair is straightened.

NIN4eva

You should be just fine going to any salon OP. I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure they cut it dry.

tapioca_pudding

Yup, I'd flat iron my hair pin straight then go to one of those cutting places (Fantastic Sams, Master Cuts, etc) and pay $13 to get a fly cut. :lol: I got the fiercest lil bob right before I bc'd last year. Anywho, I definitely advocate for "white" salons and their hair cutting skills. :yep:

BeautifulRoots

I agree, I now only go to supercuts/master cuts when I want a trim or cut. They always do a wonderful job with my hair and only cut off what I tell them to.

I think you should be fine as long as you make sure the stylist can do dry hair cuts.

drmuffin

I loved loved LOVED TGF! While I was in school in Huntsville (TX) I started getting my hair professionally relaxed there and had been a faithful client for about 3 years. Even when I graduated and moved back home I would make the 2 1/2 hr drive up there just to get my hair done! If I wasn't natural now I would still be a faithful patron.

BillsBackerz67

I wouldnt reccommend Super Cuts if you want a professional precisioned cut, unless you know the stylist and have seen their work...but for trims go for it.

shunemite

I LOOOOVE Supercuts and Haircuttery for trims. I face the mirror, they don't cut more than I ask and with a coupon it's like $10.

But....... for an actual haircut coz you want a bob I heard that Supercuts has a 20 min policy where they can't cut your hair for more than 20 min. Not sure if that's true but it's what I was told. Also, some of them are fresh into the profession and are still "practicing". So Idk if u'll get a style that's banging with layers and all that jazz.

AuNaturalMaMa

I've been to both for styles and trims.

Hair Cuttery: I used to see a black stylist, a woman. She relaxed, did highlights, trimmed and straightened.
Then I saw a black guy, he cut me a fly bob and kept it maintained for me.

Super Cuts: My mom has been going to to for years. They also did my BC for me it was a a black stylist. She gave me a CHOP like I asked then styles me a little rhianna cut at the time (April 2009) I loved it. I brought her a picture for this one. She trimmed me regularly until she moved.
Then I saw a white sylist who trimmed me and cut me a cute bang and framed the pieces in my face in Dec 2010.

At each place they always did exactly what I wanted. Showed me what they were going to cut before and what they did cut. I always faced the mirror like a lot of posters said.

I recently did self trimming. I like it. But I wouldnt hesistate to go back to either of these places.

I was cut wet and dry at both places! Turned out great.

brg240

Can someone tell me, when they trim do they trim all over or just the bottom? I know this might sound stupid, i'm sorry i've only been to a hair place twice and that was like 6 years ago. (i was asleep one of the times too)

I have a supercuts right down the street from me.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Can someone tell me, when they trim do they trim all over or just the bottom? I know this might sound stupid, i'm sorry i've only been to a hair place twice and that was like 6 years ago. (i was asleep one of the times too)

I have a supercuts right down the street from me.

No they trim properly which is to ask you first what you want and then they cut the inside maintaining your current look.