Black Salon Hair Products or White Salon Hair Products?

Blue_Berry

Black Salon Products:
Mizani
KeraCare
Design Essentials
Motions
Affirm
Aphogee
etc...

White Salon Products:
Nexxus
Kenra
Biolage
Biosilk
Chi
Aveda
Paul Mitchell
Bumble & Bumble
Redken
etc...

I like both salon products, but I am not going to lie... Caucasian products gives me more moisture, slip & softness.

Plus, I notice they offer Caucasian products with better ingredients & more products to choose from then African American products... What up with that?!

Ladies, which products do you prefer? White Salon products or Black Salon products?

Last edited:

SignatureBeauty

I use whatever works for my hair, so that usually mean I use ALL Hair Products for Dry,Damaged Hair, meaning I will use from Mizani on down to Redken LOL!!! I Also use the Indian Products Too!

sheedahp

Why does it have to be a white and black thing?

I judge the products by the ppl they use to advertise them with. It is a black or white thing because our hair cant handle some things that white ppl hair can and vise versa. I actually used to think that black ppl should only use products advertised for our hair until I joined this site, now I hardly use hair products made specifically for our hair.

Blue_Berry

Why does it have to be a white and black thing?

Lol... Sorry I made it sound like that. I don't mean to offend anybody on the forum. LeFemmeNaturelle, some of our products have poor & cheap ingredients with high prices.

You should check RusticBeauty video on what she think of black hair care products:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbKSrYCmlhI

Too Add: I do not think all our products are bad. I like Darcy Botanical, Hairveda, CD and most of the natural brands. Our local stores or BSS don't give use the best quality in products.

Last edited:

SignatureBeauty

Blueberry, u are right, the ingredients they put in our hair products are not so good, always adding mineral oil, and they can be made by the same company, I get what you are saying, I also LOVE NeXxus Products! LOL!!

Mrs. Verde

OP I get your point. The only black hair products that I use are the old CON shampoo and various gel juices. I have tried all of black products that you have listed. None of them did anything for my hair. The products that are in my heavy rotation are all the "white" products.

Yoshi3329

I guess if we have to put race into it. White salon products. I love Redken, Matrix Biolage, and Joico.

However, I would love to try Mizani.:yep:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I'm making the mental shift over to more Handmade/Natural Products.:grin:

Although, I still have a TON of Salon Products.:look: When I use these up, sell or give away, I may stick with Handmade/Natural Products.

This summer I experimented with Handmade/Natural Products. I think I will ride these for a while and may return to Salon Products (or maybe not:perplexed).

I love the Handmade/Natural Products and I think more Relaxed women should give them a try. I don't particularly think they're just for "Natural Hair" and they have been working great for my Relaxed Hair.

Back to the Point:look: Most of my stash pertaining to this thread, consists of products you listed in the "White" Product Category, but I relax with MBB (Lye/Regular) and I have a coupla' Mizani Products.

I think currently, my Handmade/Natural Stash has significantly outgrown my Salon Products.

Last edited:

ladyfay

I love Paul Mitchell products, especially when I was relaxed five years ago. I still do as a starighten natural, but I don't know if the weather is major factor now, but my hair loves the new sulfate free line of Kera Care and Design Essentials. It seems to give me more moisture in this hot, dry and humind weather.

I still purchase certain products from different lines that works for me.

Solitude

Um...I use salon quality products, period. Doesn't matter who they are supposedly advertised to. Out of your two lists, I use KeraCare, Mizani, Nexxus, and my beloved Aveda.

I think the only difference is that Keracare and other "ethnic" lines have products that we generally use for Af-Am hairstyles, but really they all have the same stuff. For example, KeraCare, Mizani, Nexxus, and Aveda all carry foam styling lotions. But KeraCare and Mizani will advertise theirs as "foam wrap" lotions and Nexxus and Aveda will advertise theirs as being for "volumizing" like a mousse.

Aveda Pomade = KeraCare Edge Tamer, Mizani Puriphying = Aveda Shampure, Keraphix = Damage Remedy and so on......

To answer your question, I like them all equally.

BlackMasterPiece

Actually, those major haircare lines with all the synthetic/detrimental ingredients that you termed as "Black Hair Products" are owned by huge multi-national corporations and white people, so just because something is marketed to us aggressively, doesn't make it "black".

Black haircare products would be lines like Oyin Handmade, Hydratherma Naturals, Miss Jessies, Jane Carter, Growth Specifics, Hairveda etc. and those products have stellar reviews: high quality, well made, smell good, excellent natural ingredients. So products that are truly Black haircare lines, are quite good.

Personally, I keep it very simple and afforable with my hair. I use a mixture of drugstore and BSS products and its been working out well for my hair.

Solitude

^^^^ I see your point, BlackMasterpiece, but those lines aren't salon-quality, IMO. I've used Hairveda (I have almost every product in the line), Miss Jessie's and Jane Carter.

On the higher quality thing....I guess...I mean, that's the way they market themselves. I really like Hairveda, but the quality of each individual handmade batch varies. With salon brands, they are high quality and you can depend on each product you buy working consistently.

Also there are "natural" and "handmade" independent product lines that are used by mostly white consumers, and lines that cater to a multi-cultural market; therefore, it's still not a black/white thing.

Blue_Berry

Actually, those major haircare lines with all the synthetic/detrimental ingredients that you termed as "Black Hair Products" are owned by huge multi-national corporations and white people, so just because something is marketed to us aggressively, doesn't make it "black".

Black haircare products would be lines like Oyin Handmade, Hydratherma Naturals, Miss Jessies, Jane Carter, Growth Specifics, Hairveda etc. and those products have stellar reviews: high quality, well made, smell good, excellent natural ingredients. So products that are truly Black haircare lines, are quite good.

Personally, I keep it very simple and afforable with my hair. I use a mixture of drugstore and BSS products and its been working out well for my hair.

Black Master Piece, I agree. :) It's just what their offering to our community outside this forum. I think we are more educated about what is good for our hair then other people. We know about the Black Business carrying healthier products for our hair. But outside the forum AA don't get the best products. Some other communities are stepping their game up on healthier hair products. For example, L'oreal, Tressemme, Pureology, Sexy Hair, and etc products are becoming sulfates-free. I am happy to say that Keracare step their sulfates game up as well & I wish CON would go back to the old formula. Mostly in the BSS world our hair products are made by "mostly" other racist instead of AA. I am willing to try and buy any products from any race, but I feel our AA people get poorer products. I do use Ayurvedic products as well. I should had rephrase the question. Didn't mean for a controversy to happen.

Miss_C

Hmmm..., actually since joining LHFC, I no longer see products for black or white, just good ingredients and bad. So any salon products that work for me, I use em!

EllePixie

^^+1...I don't look at who a product is marketed towards, only the ingredients.

Actually today someone was talking to me about wanting to use products made for "our" hair type and even said that she did not want to use "white" curl enhancers because they were not "for her." I kind of just sat there like errrr...

But I guess you can say that a lot of the products I use are from natural companies that "cater" towards Black women and natural hair, like Kinky Curly, AfroVeda, Shea Moisture...but at the same time I also like a lot of the products sold at Whole Foods that most would say are not for "ethnic hair." Do you know that one time one of my guy friends looked at me like I was crazy for using gel??? He was like, "Black girls don't use gel!!" Smmfh...

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I'm making the mental shift over to more Handmade/Natural Products.:grin: This summer I experimented with ALL Handmade/Natural Products. I love the Handmade/Natural Products and I think more Relaxed women should give them a try.

I don't particularly think they're just for "Natural Hair" and they have been working great for my Relaxed Hair.
I think currently, my Handmade/Natural Stash has significantly outgrown my Salon Products.

These are some of the Handmade/Natural Products I've been using this summer (In No Particular Order):look::

KBB
SheScentIt
Hairveda
Mozeke
Claudie
Jasmines
Komaza
Afroveda
Darcy's Botanicals
Christine Gant
Njoi Creations
My Honey Child
Oyin
CurlJunkie
*Recently ordered Ori Organics
**I have Qhemet but primarily use it in the Fall/Winter:grin:

And they've been working great for me (as a Relaxed Head). So I decided to continue using them throughout the Fall/Winter.

I agree w/Solitude on the Fact that occasionally the product may/can vary from batch to batch but overall, IMO, For Me, they've been pretty consistent.:yep:

Minty

I have never - and I mean never used any product on the "black" list besides Aphogee. As a matter of fact, I still have some I need to finish up, but I prefer Sebastian, and Redken over that. I've used Elucence (meh*) and I currently use Syntonics relaxer system (made by Affirm) I love that system.

I understand what you are saying OP, but I used cheapy BSS products (BronnerBrothers stuff for example) in the past, and it wasn't until I switched over to using nicer formulated products that I was able to maintain some integrity to my hair. ...and for those who say its the technique and not the product formulation are incorrect.

I am of the same thinking of IDTH though regarding more natural product lines. I am just looking for ways to lower my chemical load overall and maintain the integrity of my scalp as well as my hair.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I have never - and I mean never used any product on the "black" list besides Aphogee. As a matter of fact, I still have some I need to finish up, but I prefer Sebastian, and Redken over that. I've used Elucence (meh*) and I currently use Syntonics relaxer system (made by Affirm) I love that system.

I understand what you are saying OP, but I used cheapy BSS products (BronnerBrothers stuff for example) in the past, and it wasn't until I switched over to using nicer formulated products that I was able to maintain some integrity to my hair. ]...and for those who say its the technique and not the product formulation are incorrect.

I am of the same thinking of IDTH though regarding more natural product lines. I am just looking for ways to lower my chemical load overall and maintain the integrity of my scalp as well as my hair.

Nice Post FlyGirl.:grin: @ bolded. And that's exactly "WHY" I am making the switch. I am moving towards letting my Relaxer be 'one of the only things' in my Regimen that is chocked full of chemicals.

femmemuscle

The companies the OP listed are the umbrella companies: Loreal, Estee Lauder, Proctor and Gamble and possibly more. These are just white companies targeting the black market.

Personally, i'd choose a company that if i have questions about their product, or the ingredients, i have accessibility to the owner who makes them. Bee Mine Products are the first to come to mind. If i have questions, (which is rare), i can call Traci, email, or even post on this forum for a response.

I'm sure she's not the only one, but it's nice to have access to a knowledgeable individual if needed.

Not only that, their products are "natural" "high quality" and can be used by ANY culture. Not just targeting certain masses.

For example MTG/SULU MAX and their Terrorist tactics on BHM at one time. Gawd... talk about off-putting.

The owner/CEO, had no idea how it's supposed to be used on humans, and apparently - never used it herself.. Now, how's that for great marketing? They (Nikki of marketing) were just doing an "aggressive campaign" on that forum, and managed to tick off quite a few members - including myself.

Well, after that, i became a huge fan of Bee Mine Natural hair care products. And ayrudvedics, as well. Talk about quality!

I'd rather walk around smelling like

Ayrudvedic: Bhringaraj and Neem all day versus

SULU Max: a Bacon, Egg and Cheese McMuffin with a hint of lavendar scent

Barbara

Princess

You're absolutely right. My stylist said the following: "As far as hair products for African Americans are concerned, all they do is create a "white product" and add a few more ingredients to make it comparable to African American hair."

Years ago, the president at Verifen Complex told me the following: "We set aside an existing product and added more oil to it." Now, I would like to know what is the "original existing product." He also told me the name of the company that manufactures it. I've not been able to find it yet. I think he was just throwing me off . . . because no one will tell their secrets, because they know they will lose money. I just want to save some money by throwing in my own oil -- if that's the case, but he did tell me that they were going to add more herbs and vitamins.

He said: "George Michaels, located in New York, is the name of the manufacturing company that manufacturers all the hair care products in the United States."

Vashti

I used to use mostly black hair care products with a few white hair care products thrown in every now and then. Most of them had a lot of questionable ingredients. These days I actively look for black haircare products made by black people using good ingredients for our hair. There's quite a few of those on the market but they aren't what most people would think of as salon products.

Mrs. N Lugo

Black Salon Products:
Mizani
KeraCare
Design Essentials
Motions
Affirm
Aphogee
etc...

White Salon Products:
Nexxus
Kenra
Biolage
Biosilk
Chi
Aveda
Paul Mitchell
Bumble & Bumble
Redken
etc...

I like both salon products, but I am not going to lie... Caucasian products gives me more moisture, slip & softness.

Plus, I notice they offer Caucasian products with better ingredients & more products to choose from then African American products... What up with that?!

Ladies, which products do you prefer? White Salon products or Black Salon products?

Based on the list above, if I had to use those products exclusively I would choose the Black Salon products. The black professional lines work best for my hair.