Black Salon V White Salon VENT!!

kizzylonghair

I picked a friend up who was at a salon today, Anyway it was coming to her been in there for 4 1/2 hours so I thought she must be ready.
When I got there babygirl was STILL under the dryer:eek:
She had a relaxer but damn....How long is that supposed to take.

Anyway I sat there observing and it was 1 stylist per 4/5 customers.
The stylists looked like they were stressing running about.
People waiting at sinks for washing, waiting under dryers that where finished, and sat down with relaxers on there head while watching the stylish knowing full well that she wont be back until she has finfished with someone else. Even if she was burning!.

Basically if we are supposed to be going to professionals but only getting a little bit of their attention, god knows what some of them are doing to our hair.
leaving Relaxers on for too long/too short of time beacuse they are dealing with someone else. Not leaving on treatments/conditioners long enough to go to someone else.
Considering that black people have the most damaging treatment done to their hair all the time. A little more attention can be paid, you could go the salon thinking your hair will be better treated there, but really you will be more curious of your doing it your self.

But in my experince in a white salon, I sat in the same hair for the entire time( No swopping seats, ladies I know you know what i mean), with the same stylist the entire time until I was finished. And it was the same through the salon. Sometimes they had a little wash hair girl at the sinks.
The time spend in there was miminal!!!

Whats wrong with black salons, is it purely how many appointments and pep we can cram in here ££££££££$$$$$$$$$.
But not think about the service they are supposed to be providing. I am lucky to have a salon that doesnt have a sylish per cumtomer but when I arrive from relaxer to dryer she is all about me, thats the most important part for me. That the part that if wrong can cause seriuos damage. I am glad I found this site as I was one of those women believing that just because I went to a hair dresser every 2 weeks for a wash/6 weeks for a relaxer that my hair would grow.
I have been to a salon 5 times in just over a year and it the longest ever.

Anyway vent over.

Denim And Leather

Hi, Kizzy

Reading your post just made me think of my hairdresser....sometimes she would be working on my hair and someone else's, since she is the only hairdresser in the salon (and also the owner.) I didn't like sitting under the dryer while she's working on relaxing someone else's head, because this would hold me up. That's really cheesy. It does seem like black salons are understaffed, poorly operated, and not very knowledgable about caring for hair, based on my experiences.

I'm glad that you have a good hairdresser. :)

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
When I read these stories I feel so sad. I've never had an experience like that of my stylist was doing several heads. I was always the only one.

I think the problem is that alot of black stylist don't want to take the years to train up but want to open their store right away

Yes. That is how it is. The last time I went to a hairdresser was a Saturday. 5 of us in there w/ONE woman, the owner. It took about 4 hours. I'm going to learn to do my own relaxers.:perplexed

inthepink

It sucks. My favorite place to get my hair done ages ago when I had a relaxer - they'd keep me sitting there for 2.5 hours before even starting on me!! No one would even say a word to me either!! I haven't been there in about 4 years and the last place I'd gone to, they'd have you in and out in 1.5 hours. I won't be going back there either or any salon for that matter.

dimpalz

That was me too, I didnt even know it was any different until I started going to a "non-specific" salon. Sure someone else washed my hair but I always had the same stylist. It seemed at my black salon the appointments were 15 - 30 minutes apart and if I was stoopid enough to book a Saturday appointment - even the first one at 9:30 - I was always in there all day. The other salon had a whole 2 hours booked out for me and only me and I was always finished on time. Sad to say but some people are just greedy!

Lucia

They just don't care or respect their clients. They really think everyone has 3-5 hours to spend doing nothing but gossiping and waiting to have their hair done. I prefer other salons but I don't go to salons anymore at all.

Denim And Leather

Another thing that irritates me with black salons is that the hairdresser will talk while they're doing my hair. Sometimes they'll stop, or work slower, because they're busy yakking away. Has anyone else experienced this?

GoGoChik

Denim And Leather said:
Another thing that irritates me with black salons is that the hairdresser will talk while they're doing my hair. Sometimes they'll stop, or work slower, because they're busy yakking away. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yep! She was talking to somebody on the salon phone. Then after that her cell phone rang and she answered that and began talking. What do we have to do to get professional service? I'm paying like $60 dollars for technically one hour's worth of work (relaxer ~15 min and a rollerset).

ravenmerlita

I know just how you feel. Years ago, I had it with salons and just stopped going altogether. I just started going back again this year to a white salon. The guy who does my hair is great, never keeps me waiting, asks what I want, even suggested I could go longer between trims. And has never once told me I need to relax my hair. Also, he has my hair deep conditioned under the dryer every time I go.

I'd prefer to frequent an African American salon, but I feel like they don't care if I'm a customer so why should I spend my money to put my hair at risk?

You just made me remember the time I went into one of the old salons I used to go to at 10am and came out at 9:30 PM :eek: I'm still mad over that one... :mad:

atlien11

I hate to say it but we (as black people) lack in customer service, BIG TIME. I try so hard to support my black business owners (nails, hair, clothes, etc) but its hard for me to go anywhere without someone catching an attitude. I wish it werent so :( Thats why i only go to get a touch-ups now.

wadadligyal

We may have a problem with it but the other customers keep going back. I'm sure if their business suffered from their lack of customer service they would adjust accordingly. However I think most people that patronize black salons believe that's how they all are so spending 4-5 hours at a time to get your hair done is normal. See this is one of the reasons I'm glad I found LHCF so that I am learning how to do my hair myself and don't have to put up with this type of ISH anymore!!!!!!:grin:

kedra70

Unfortunately, this is why I no longer frequent black salons. I had nothing but bad customer service, attitude and something that was the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back" -- I had an 8:30 a.m. appointment with a stylist and the reception had to call her a** at home to wake her up. I didn't get out of there until 1 p.m. - and it was a WASH AND SET!!!

I go to a white-run, chain salon where a black lady does my hair (and does a great job!). She gets me in and out, gives me product recommendations and really takes the time to take care of my hair and HELP me take care of my hair.

If there was a black salon that focused on their customers and good customer service, I would be first in line to give them business. As it stands, that doesn't exist in my town. Until we can get it together, I will continue to go to a white salon. To me, that is truly sad -- we should have to go to the "other" in order to get good customer service.

sky_blu

Yep! Its all about the $$$$ factor. They try to get in as many clients as possible to make the $$$$ I wish I had a stylist who did my hair without having 3 or 4 people in front or behind me. But I really dont think its possible unless Im a celeb or something.

sky_blu

atlien11 said:
I hate to say it but we (as black people) lack in customer service, BIG TIME. I try so hard to support my black business owners (nails, hair, clothes, etc) but its hard for me to go anywhere without someone catching an attitude. I wish it werent so :( Thats why i only go to get a touch-ups now.

Yes! That too especially when you paying for a service and you tell them how you want it done and they dont want to do it. Then you go to someone else and they act like you cheating on you :lol: then have the nerve to talk about you because you went to someone else. Ridiculous!

GoGoChik

atlien11 said:

OKAY!!! Girl you hit nail on the head. I thought it was only here in the south. So much attitude at the grocery store, at fast food places, etc... Some act like they don't want to be at work EVER. I sincerely believe there should be some sort of customer service training for service jobs.

ETA: I have found a salon where there's a lady who relaxes, a lady at the shampoo bowl who shampoos and deep conditions and a lady who styles. I was in and out in 2 hours. It was like I was on a conveyor belt, but I never had to sit and wait.

Last edited:

sistawithsumthin

ravenmerlita said:
I know just how you feel. Years ago, I had it with salons and just stopped going altogether. I just started going back again this year to a white salon. The guy who does my hair is great, never keeps me waiting, asks what I want, even suggested I could go longer between trims. And has never once told me I need to relax my hair. Also, he has my hair deep conditioned under the dryer every time I go.

I'd prefer to frequent an African American salon, but I feel like they don't care if I'm a customer so why should I spend my money to put my hair at risk?

You just made me remember the time I went into one of the old salons I used to go to at 10am and came out at 9:30 PM :eek: I'm still mad over that one... :mad:

I have begun going to a white salon now and I love it. I never knew I could get in and out in a 1 hour and half at most.

:confused: My question is when you go to a white salon is your stylist white also? Mine is black but I always wondered how good a white stylist would do my hair.

CoveredGirl

:mad:
GoGoChik said:
Yep! She was talking to somebody on the salon phone. Then after that her cell phone rang and she answered that and began talking. What do we have to do to get professional service? I'm paying like $60 dollars for technically one hour's worth of work (relaxer ~15 min and a rollerset).

This happened to me last year and is one of the reasons I decided to BC. The girl was talking on her cell phone the entire time she was doing my hair. I was promised an affirm relaxer but was actually given a cheap herbal motions relaxer on the sly (which did not take btw). As the relaxer was sitting in my hair she ran over to the barber to get her eyebrows arched "to catch him before he left". She then cornrowed my hair back in just 4 (no lie) big messy braids going back to do a sew in. Needless to say all my hair fell out but when I see that :censored: in the streets..... I'm pissed just typing about it. Oh not to mention the girl who was supposed to do my hair tonight stood me up and will not pick up her phone :mad: :mad:

GoGoChik

Baha_Ma said:
:mad:

This happened to me last year and is one of the reasons I decided to BC. The girl was talking on her cell phone the entire time she was doing my hair. I was promised an affirm relaxer but was actually given a cheap herbal motions relaxer on the sly (which did not take btw). As the relaxer was sitting in my hair she ran over to the barber to get her eyebrows arched "to catch him before he left". She then cornrowed my hair back in just 4 (no lie) big messy braids going back to do a sew in. Needless to say all my hair fell out but when I see that :censored: in the streets..... I'm pissed just typing about it. Oh not to mention the girl who was supposed to do my hair tonight stood me up and will not pick up her phone :mad: :mad:

Ugh! That makes me upset just reading it.

My goal is to find a white man (like the one's on the makeover shows) to do my hair. It seems like they are good at doing all types of hair. Has anyone ever had a white man do their hair?

Miss*Tress

I've been to two white male stylists and they did a great job. One of them fixed a particularly bad hair cut where the black woman stylist *hacked* my shoulder length bob to my ears. The guy re-shaped my hair so it didn't look like a bowl hair cut. My hair was ever so short, but I got tons of compliments on the style from friends and colleagues (French rarely make comments on personal appearance).

kizzylonghair

I knew I wasnt the only one who had noticed this bad practice :spank: by the people we are supposed to be trusting. This all reminds me of what Cathy House in her book reffered it. She hit the nail right on the head.

Some of the stories you ladies have written really have pi**sed me off, why are we paying for this. But at least we are in a postive to NOTICE now we are eduacted.

Lets not even get started on soon of the bad practices I noticed
' A lady with colored blonde her about 3 inches long ( Not in a style just really bad condition). The front only relaxed, blow dried, flat ironed, combed with a rat tail comb, cornrowed, then weaved :eek:

Granted it did look nice when finished, but damn how is it gonna look when the weave comes out, its a terrible cycle.

Denim And Leather

GoGoChik said:
OKAY!!! Girl you hit nail on the head. I thought it was only here in the south. So much attitude at the grocery store, at fast food places, etc... Some act like they don't want to be at work EVER. I sincerely believe there should be some sort of customer service training for service jobs.

ETA: I have found a salon where there's a lady who relaxes, a lady at the shampoo bowl who shampoos and deep conditions and a lady who styles. I was in and out in 2 hours. It was like I was on a conveyor belt, but I never had to sit and wait.

I've seen that attitude in government jobs. I have dealt with black employees who have an attitude in jobs like the DMV, they act like they don't even want to be there, or they laugh and joke around while you have to wait for them to help you.

My cousin used to work at a hospital with a large black staff, and said the same thing, that a lot of them were lazy, which is pretty sad, considering this was a hospital!

Sorry, didn't mean to stray off the topic here.

azul11

Its unfortunte that people have these experiences. This has me leery of going to a stylist for a simple wash and set for this exact reason. I know there are plenty of good stylist out there and all of them are not bad but some of the bad one seems to leave a bitter taste in your mouth.

I have sat under a dryer after it shut off while the stylists went off to eat. I have had a stylist hold up a carton of chinese food in one hand and touch my hair with the other...oh yeah and then go back and eat some more...yeah its been bad at times. I have had stylist take calls in the middle of a touchup..sit down and talk to other people while doing my hair. Eat food while doing my hair...discipline their kids....just unprofessional stuff.

I refuse to keep giving these people my money. Its unfair to pay for subpar service time and time again. This is not a friend doing my hair on her dime, this is my money, my time. I have learned from this board that I have to be more assertive and not just accept any type of treatment. I remember Tracy told me that. God bless you all.

ravenmerlita

sistawithsumthin said:
:confused: My question is when you go to a white salon is your stylist white also? Mine is black but I always wondered how good a white stylist would do my hair.

My stylist is white. He is excellent.

atlien11

Any atlanta ladies that have good white stylists? I would be interested in checking the salon out. I want to try places like Key Lime Pie in VA Highlands area but im scurred. Thanks.

isawstars

I go to a black salon and the ladies there are very professional. They go by appointment only, and do one client at a time. My stylist gives me the option of roller setting or a blow drying, and is very respectful when I am stretching.

I guess I'm lucky and have found a keeper.

SilkyandSmooth

That type of stuff happens all the time in black salons. When I relaxed the first time around, I would spend hours in the salon just to get a touch-up, set and wrap. Forget going on a Saturday! I'd be there all day. Spending so much unnecessary time in the salon was one of the reasons why I stopped relaxing in the first place. When I decided to relax again, I went to a Dominican salon. I was in and out of that place in no time at all. I went on a Saturday too!

BK Bombshell

Oh, this thread brings back nightmares. I once had braid extensions put in and about 5 fell out within 2 days. I made a 6pm appointment to get them redone and didn't get out until after 10pm. The 2 braiders actually had someone in the chair when I came in but they were still combing out her hair. I asked them if I could get my hair done first since I only had a few and I had an appointment and they said that they couldn't stop doing her hair for me. It was after work on a weekday and I didn't know where else to go so I waited. I did call the owner of the salon the next day (she was a friend of a friend) and told her that the stylists were running her business into the ground. The two braiders were fired, but the salon closed shortly afterwards. I think it's because they p*ssed off so many people that they stopped getting business.

Another time I made a 9:30am Saturday appointment three weeks in advance. Stylist calls me the night before and asks me to come in at 11 because some of her other clients were coming from Philly and would I mind. I'd already taken out my previous braids and it wasn't a problem because I had some errands so I agreed to 11am. I get there and the Philly girls had just gotten there and the first one is in the chair. The stylist keeps telling me that's she'll get to me soon until about 2pm when she asks her assistant put in the color rinse. Then I wait another 45 minutes for the assistant to do the color and then she puts me under the dryer for another hour. Now, I have to wait for the stylist to finish the Philly girls. She doesn't finish with them until almost 5pm. Anyhow, I don't get out of the salon until almost 8:30p. Another girl who came in about 1pm was just getting into the chair. I was :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: When I told my friend, who recommended this stylist, what happened, she says that that's normal and next time I should take things to keep myself entertained because "that's just the way things are in black salons, especially on a Saturday. You should know that it's going to take all day." I'll NEVER, EVER, EVER set foot inside a salon again unless I know that the stylist is professional who knows how to manage his or her time. I think a lot of these places should be boycotted. Maybe then they would learn how to treat their customers.

senimoni

I've really only been to black salons, it seems that the booth renters are more guilty of this then those who are commission (ie the salon manages the books).

Denim And Leather

My hairdresser has done this, too, eating food while doing my hair, and leaving me under the hair dryer long after it cuts off, because she was busy doing someone else's hair. I think the longest I've been in her salon is two hours, and I thought that was bad, but 8-10 hours! Oh my! :eek: The only time I've spent that long getting my hair done was when I used to wear a sew-in weave, but the lengthy time was due to my hairdresser (at the time) stopping to eat, or talking on the phone, etc., typical black salon antics.

Last edited: