Black Salon V White Salon VENT!!

Chrissy811

senimoni said:
I've really only been to black salons, it seems that the booth renters are more guilty of this then those who are commission (ie the salon manages the books).

That is what has happened to me, I found a stylist I really liked at first her renter where more mature ladies, but I don't think that they were getting enough clients for her. Then she got 2 girls straight out of school and one seriously ghetto fabulous lady. My stylist used to have professional working womena, but a lot have stop coming because of the "element" that is in the shop now.

If you call my stylist and she is not there you may get a she ain't here yet and not get to leave a message. They eat at their stations, and before you could have beverages but no food in the waiting area, now it smells like chicken wings, and people are taking naps on the couches. I have been looking for some where else to go and so are a lot of her others ones. It is sad that she feels she can't enforce her rules for fear of losing money.

Cichelle

This thread made me think way back to when I used to go to the salon. And it made me remember why I NEVER go now. Too much wasted time and bad service. One time I was going to a special event and went to get my hair done. I sat there waiting, reading and re-reading magazines for hours (way past my appointment). When the stylist finally got to me, she washed my hair and then told me she didn't have time to blow it dry. I left the salon with it wet and I was crying. That was crazy.

Why on earth should it take 8 hours for a hair appointment? I'll never understand.

I plan on going to a salon again at some point. I already have in mind where I will go. And, unfortunately, it will not be a black salon.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
It's not about the race of the hair stylist... it's about that individual as a hair stylist...

kizzylonghair

Poohbear said:
It's not about the race of the hair stylist... it's about that individual as a hair stylist...

I agree, I go the black owned salon where they are very professional.
But you must admit that a mojority of black salons are disorganised and overpacked and dont know a thing about hair.
Not saying that some white salons are not.

But in a general comparison they seem to be more organised.
Maybe its a money thing!! They can spare the extra time and money to be organised.

But for the cost some ladies are paying for a service, its just not on :nono:

Denim And Leather

Poohbear said:

I agree with Kizzy. Judging by all the posts here, there apparently is a problem with the majority of black salons. In all the years I've gone to black salons, there's only one good one that I can think of, and that was the first one I ever started going to on a regular basis.

GoGoChik

Denim And Leather said:
I agree with Kizzy. Judging by all the posts here, there apparently is a problem with the majority of black salons. In all the years I've gone to black salons, there's only one good one that I can think of, and that was the first one I ever started going to on a regular basis.

Same here.

atlien11

We really should get an LHCF salon chain going to dispell the myths about black salons and customer service. A few members in a ea. cities go to cosmetology school and open up a shop. We would make a killing, especially here in atlanta.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
kizzylonghair said:
I agree, I go the black owned salon where they are very professional.
But you must admit that a mojority of black salons are disorganised and overpacked and dont know a thing about hair.
Not saying that some white salons are not.

But in a general comparison they seem to be more organised.
Maybe its a money thing!! They can spare the extra time and money to be organised.

But for the cost some ladies are paying for a service, its just not on :nono:
Oh okay... I may be speaking out of ignorance though since I've never been a regular salon goer....I only went to a salon for a hair style for proms or dances back in high school....

I've probably been to only 2 black salons out of my whole life. They weren't overpacked or disorganized. But I knew the salon owners (one used to be my grade school bus driver and the other was one of my friend's aunts). And I've also been to a few white salons like Fantastic Sams and Super Cuts. So I could be wrong. ;)

balisi

As the lone stylist to post thus far, let me just say: Ladies, I am so sorry that you have experienced such terrible, INEXCUSABLE treatment at the hands of stylists, to whom you have entrusted your precious hair and valuable time. I have been through some of the same things and am very careful when seeking out professional services.

It is really sad that there are so many bad, unprofessional and uncaring stylists who make it that much more difficult for the rest of us.

I currently work independently in my mini-salon. I book one customer at a time, allowing enough time to avoid overlapping customers. This way, each customer can rest assured knowing that she has my undivided attention. When she arrives, everything is clean and ready for her, so I can attend to her right away. The first time a customer comes to see me, I do a thorough consultation and begin a client card just for her, which I update on each subsequent visit. I am professional all the way, even down to my state board-approved footwear. :lol: I never eat and rarely take phone calls while I am working. If I must take a call, I keep it under two minutes.

So ladies, do know that there are some gems out there. But like all things that are rare and desireable, it takes time and sometimes luck to find them.

Denim And Leather

balisi said:
As the lone stylist to post thus far, let me just say: Ladies, I am so sorry that you have experienced such terrible, INEXCUSABLE treatment at the hands of stylists, to whom you have entrusted your precious hair and valuable time. I have been through some of the same things and am very careful when seeking out professional services.

It is really sad that there are so many bad, unprofessional and uncaring stylists who make it that much more difficult for the rest of us.

I currently work independently in my mini-salon. I book one customer at a time, allowing enough time to avoid overlapping customers. This way, each customer can rest assured knowing that she has my undivided attention. When she arrives, everything is clean and ready for her, so I can attend to her right away. The first time a customer comes to see me, I do a thorough consultation and begin a client card just for her, which I update on each subsequent visit. I am professional all the way, even down to my state board-approved footwear. :lol: I never eat and rarely take phone calls while I am working. If I must take a call, I keep it under two minutes.

So ladies, do know that there are some gems out there. But like all things that are rare and desireable, it takes time and sometimes luck to find them.

You sound like a great hairdresser who knows customer service. :)
I wished you were located in L.A.! :D

GoGoChik

balisi said:
The first time a customer comes to see me, I do a thorough consultation and begin a client card just for her, which I update on each subsequent visit. I am professional all the way, even down to my state board-approved footwear. :lol: I never eat and rarely take phone calls while I am working. If I must take a call, I keep it under two minutes.

OMG-- You do this?! :notworthy
I have never, ever had a hair stylist do this.
I wish I were in ATL.

balisi

GoGoChik said:
OMG-- You do this?! :notworthy
I have never, ever had a hair stylist do this.
I wish I were in ATL.
Yes, I'm proud to say that I do. :) All stylists are supposed to do this, but in the midst of juggling umpteen clients, they don't make it a priority, I guess. And get this: I even do strand tests before applying chemicals! :lol: I wish you were here too. :D

Denim And Leather

balisi said:
Yes, I'm proud to say that I do. :) All stylists are supposed to do this, but in the midst of juggling umpteen clients, they don't make it a priority, I guess. And get this: I even do strand tests before applying chemicals! :lol: I wish you were here too. :D

Wow! Your clients are really fortunate to have you as a hairdresser. :)

MizAvalon

Unfortunately, I have had the same experiences with black salons as you ladies.:(

I saw a black stylist for years who worked out of her house and it was great. Then she decided that she wanted to go and work in a shop and I followed her. She got slower and slower every time. The last time she did my hair it took 5 hours for me to get a wash and set.:(

I started seeing the only white stylist in the salon and I still see her now. She has left the salon and opened an area in her house to do hair. She gets me in and out.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Lucia said:
They just don't care or respect their clients. They really think everyone has 3-5 hours to spend doing nothing but gossiping and waiting to have their hair done. I prefer other salons but I don't go to salons anymore at all.

ITA with this statement. :up: I haven't gone to a stylist in ages. The last time I went was to a really good stylist who does work out of her home but we lost contact. :ohwell: With all the hair products at in my cupboards, I hook up my own hair with out heat or worry. :woot: