Black Salons don't believe in Customer Service...

vevster

Black Salons don\'t believe in Customer Service...

I called to make an appt. at a salon and I said I wanted the 1st appt of the morning. The woman said "Well, we start at 10 am." she then said "However, we do have walk in clients."

I was like, "If I make a 10 am appt and am on time, I should not have to hear about walk ins, right?"

At least 3 times, I have made appts at salons only to walk out frustrated because they don't seem to respect my time...that is what I like about Marvin Carrington, he really runs his shop well. BUT Marvin is locked into his current Mizani product line which I'm not crazy about. *sigh*.. It makes me want to open a beauty shop myself.

Re: Black Salons don\'t believe in Customer Service...

I'm with you on this one. I stopped going to salons a LONG time ago, because I realized that very fews stylists care about hair care. That, and they don't respect your time. The worst experience I had was when the stylist had me wait two hours after my scheduled appt. Guess what she was doing during those two hours? Running errands! I was only like 16 at the time, but had I been older, I definitely would have said something. I remember leaving the shop and running errands of my own because that's how much time she took!

I hear you on the customer service thing...I've experienced the worst. Most salons I've called or stopped in, act like they don't want to be bothered with me, and all I said was "hello". That's the what lead me to searching for help on the internet and finding LHCF. I was so fed up with rude and tacky behavior from salons. I've been taking care of my own hair for a year now, I think I've been to the salon only 3 times this year and my hair is healthier than it's ever been.

I think thats soooooo rude... Making appts and it takes up ur whole day..

Re: Black Salons don\'t believe in Customer Service

The past 3 salons I went to were fairly professional. I tend to go to the salon on Thursday afternoons and I'm in and out in 2.5 to 3 hours and that's when i get my touch-ups.

That is the main reason I don't go to salons anymore, I don't have the time or the money to waste. In my area there are only one or two decent black hair salons, so I guess they feel like they can treat you any kind of way..

we do need to open a salon...specilazing in hair health and growth....LongHairCare freindly!!now thats a salon i would spend my money in!! appointments and walkin friendly....

[ QUOTE ]
vevster said:
I called to make an appt. at a salon and I said I wanted the 1st appt of the morning. The woman said "Well, we start at 10 am." she then said "However, we do have walk in clients."

I was like, "If I make a 10 am appt and am on time, I should not have to hear about walk ins, right?"

At least 3 times, I have made appts at salons only to walk out frustrated because they don't seem to respect my time...that is what I like about Marvin Carrington, he really runs his shop well. BUT Marvin is locked into his current Mizani product line which I'm not crazy about. *sigh*.. It makes me want to open a beauty shop myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you make an appointment for 10 am, there is no reason at all for you to hear about walk-ins. If you have an appointment, that should take precedence over walk-ins. I wish I were licensed. I'd open a salon with you.
look.gif

ITA. If you have an appointment she's saying a walk-in can make you lose your spot. Or have you waiting in the salon until sundown while a walk-in with waist length hair gets a spiral set or some other elaborate, time consuming style. I got fed up with salons a long time ago. 99% of them have no respect for the client's intelligence or time.
mad.gif

Keep looking. I wouldn't give those people my money. Stick to Marcia for your chemicals, the Dominicans for your doobies and go to Marvin or a Supercuts/Fantastic Sam's type place for your trims.
smile.gif

I think some black salons don't realize that they are also operating a business and have no concept of customer service.

I hear you. Back when I used to go frequently, every Saturday morning, getting up with the sun, trying to be the first in line at 8am before the shop even opened, only to realize that there were already 3-4 ahead of me. The shop owner would have at least 10 people waiting, and the first thing she would do is wash your head and sit you there so she could keep you. After a couple eight-hour days at the salon for wash and curl, I didn't go back. Who has that kind of time? She was a really nice person, and I know they all got tired, but I'd be sitting there with a wet head watching her go back to her office to eat, or yapping with whomever was in the chair. She was a terrible business person ('cause I could get a touchup and other extensive work for less than $35.
smirk.gif
) She had six or seven seats, but it seems she ran off all the people who worked there. Her husband would come in to wash heads. Her little girl would be running all over the place. She was a great stylist, but had no concept of time whatsoever.

I've found only one really good black salon in my area where I make an appointment and I'm out of there in one hour. If I'm getting a relaxer 1.5 hours. The place was always very organized and I loved it, but you PAID for that service.

Same here. I found a salon with no waiting, no drama, the stylist was into haircare--not just pretty styles. But a touch-up and deep cond. cost me about $70 (tip incl.). Which is outrageous for SC. It was worth it to me, though. If I ever get another chemical service, I'm going back to Miss Annie!
smile.gif

Do we all go to the same salon or are all salons and stylist the same???

The stylist is never on time. Somewhere picking up kids, running errands, so on and so on.

It always takes longer than they say it going to take.

They stop to eat while doing you hair.

They stop to shop with the guys that come into the salon selling everything from CDs to meat.

They give 2 or 3 people the same appointment time and work on all three at the same time. (When the dryer stops, they can't complete your hair because their working on someone else)

They sometimes need a ride from the customer.

They charge an arm and a leg and it takes all day.

And so on.

The one I go to doesn't even go by appts on days like Saturdays. It's first come, first serve.
laugh.gif

This is the main reason I went natural. Salons wasting my time. I'd been a regular for years and had a standing Thursday evening 4:00 shampoo and set. One night after waiting for two hours, I walked out with a wet head. Shortly afterwards I cut off my bra-strap length relaxed hair and went natural. I haven't stepped inside a salon since except to buy Aveda products.

[ QUOTE ]
NuMe2004 said:
I'm with you on this one. I stopped going to salons a LONG time ago, because I realized that very fews stylists care about hair care.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. I've had hair RIPPED out of my head so many times. My friends still rely on hairdressers for everything! They tell me that hairdressers go to school for haircare, but they don't! They go to school to learn how to STYLE hair, not to take CARE of it.

[ QUOTE ]
NuMe2004 said:
The worst experience I had was when the stylist had me wait two hours after my scheduled appt. Guess what she was doing during those two hours? Running errands! I was only like 16 at the time, but had I been older, I definitely would have said something. I remember leaving the shop and running errands of my own because that's how much time she took!

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG - I feel you on this one. A few years ago, I was going to a shop every week - standing appointment on Friday. I showed up one day and everyone in the shop was looking at me like I was crazy. I couldn't figure out why. Someone walked up to me and had the nerve to ask me why I was here. What do you mean? Why am I here? I have a standing appointment every friday. They had the nerve to tell me that she went on vacation. She couldn't tell me that. I walk past the shop on the way home EVERY DAY - did the vacation just pop up? Do you know she never called after that mess to even apologize. I never went back

[ QUOTE ]
calbear said:
They had the nerve to tell me that she went on vacation.

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
Now that was just plain rude as well as unprofessional.
nono.gif

I can totally relate. That's the whole reason I stopped going to black salons. No respect for people's time. And I barely went to salons on the first place. But the times I have gone, I have had to sit around, wait for like an hour before I start, even when I make an appt., then when we do start, it takes forever because she's also doing 2 other people's hair at the same time. My hair has always come out great, thankfully, but I hate having to spend the whole day there. That's why I prefer to be a do-it-yourselfer.

Wow. I'm getting angry all over again as I reminisce about my bad experiences!
mad.gif
I'm happy that I figured out how to care for my own hair and self-perform the same services at a fraction of what it would cost me in the salon.

[ QUOTE ]
diamondlady said:
Do we all go to the same salon or are all salons and stylist the same???

The stylist is never on time. Somewhere picking up kids, running errands, so on and so on.

It always takes longer than they say it going to take.

They stop to eat while doing you hair.

They stop to shop with the guys that come into the salon selling everything from CDs to meat.

They give 2 or 3 people the same appointment time and work on all three at the same time. (When the dryer stops, they can't complete your hair because their working on someone else)

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG This is exactly how almost all the salons I have ever went to was like.
laugh.gif
God bless you all.

[ QUOTE ]
bellydancer said:
I agree. I've had hair RIPPED out of my head so many times. My friends still rely on hairdressers for everything! They tell me that hairdressers go to school for haircare, but they don't! They go to school to learn how to STYLE hair, not to take CARE of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are sooooo right hairdressers mainly learn how to style...Anky was telling me what this girl who went to cosmetology school said she was taught in school and it was crazy! They are taught to do things that will make us go to them more so that they'll get more money!
mad.gif

Back