Black Tea Rinse is the Debil!

Evolving78

i decided to try this wonderful black tea rinse to curb some of my shedding. let's see, i used 8 bags of Trader Joe's English Breakfast Tea and steeped for about two hours. i poured and sprayed the batch onto my hair and scalp. i let it sit for an hour or two. well next thing you know, i started having chest pains and my anxiety levels dramatically increased.i felt like the walls were closing in on me and i started having trouble breathing. i had to lay down awhile until i was able to calm down.

so for anyone that maybe caffeine sensitive, be very careful with how much you use and for how long.

ok rant over! :lachen:

keelioness

Its sppsd to b a rinse.. not a conditioner..out it on rinse it out.. but this truly shows ur scalp does ingest products to ur bloodstream.. scarey. Hope u feel better

Sent from my ADR6300 using ADR6300

Ltown

Greyland
I'm sorry you had this reaction, i brew about 10 bags but i dilute with water a little. It definately great for shedding.

Evolving78

Its sppsd to b a rinse.. not a conditioner..out it on rinse it out.. but this truly shows ur scalp does ingest products to ur bloodstream.. scarey. Hope u feel better

Sent from my ADR6300 using ADR6300

i got distracted with making bead necklaces with preschoolers! :lachen: but you are so right!

i remembered i asked how long to keep it in too in Random thoughts. i couldn't find the answer so i just kept playing with the rugrats. i still feel it too, but not that bad anymore. i am drinking water to flush my system out.

Last edited:

Evolving78

how many tea bags are usually recommended? Did you OD?

i think me leaving in for that length of time was overkill, but i might have OD using too many bags. i read the more bags you use, the stronger it will be. someone stated that it didn't work for them, because they only used 4?

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
You know English Breakfast tea has crazy amounts of caffeine in it, comparable to coffee...I lived in England for years and they drink it like morning coffee: black with 2 lumps of sugar...I still drink it in the mornings to pick me up. That might have been too strong, so glad you're okay!

Evolving78

You know English Breakfast tea has crazy amounts of caffeine in it, comparable to coffee...I lived in England for years and they drink it like morning coffee: black with 2 lumps of sugar...I still drink it in the mornings to pick me up. That might have been too strong, so glad you're okay!

you know i had to go all out! :lachen: but thank you for caring! i can laugh at myself now, but it was really scary.

Leesh

@shortdub78, Phewww! Thank You So Much for posting this. I just purchased a box to do rinses with and I tend to go overboard with stuff. And what's bad is, I have an Anxiety problem and that woulda sent me thru the roof! :nono:

Glad your alright! :rolleyes:

appplecidder

Wow glad your ok.. I normally only use one bag and it does the trick for my hair shedding and I use use a small cup maybe 8 onces.

Sent from my MB200 using Long Hair Care Forum App

LadyMacgyver

Yea I just did a rinse this weekend.. I only used 3 and I thought that wasn't enough because the tea looked kind of clear but I left it at that.. The most I ever used was 4.. I'm glad you are ok and if you plan to use it again and its english tea I would only use 2..

30something

I think you made it too strong, one time I made it real strong with too much bags in little water and poured it directly on my head I got a really intense headache.. it was fine as soon as I rinse it out. I should have just kept to what I was doing using a spray bottle on scalp only and not pouring a whole batch in my hair. I sorry you had that experience with black tea im sure it will go better next time.

alive

wow i didn't realize tea could be so potent. i might try this out instead of the garlic supplements i was thinking about getting. thanks for sharing, OP. i'm so glad you're alright

Lady S

I'm glad you're OK & I'm mad you used the good stuff. You're supposed to use the cheapo lipton stuff! :lol:

But seriously, I'm really glad you're ok. It never dawned on me that you could get overcaffienated just leaving tea on your hair like that. Your experience reminds me of when I took a no-doze once. I will not be doing that again.

I did a tea rinse & it did absolutely nothing for my shedding. Nexxus Emergencee worked much better for me.

empressri

wow i didn't realize tea could be so potent. i might try this out instead of the garlic supplements i was thinking about getting. thanks for sharing, OP. i'm so glad you're alright

ooh yes! tea can have more caffeine than coffee.

i love a cuppa tea english style. i found pg tips and was over the moon.

OP dont do that no mo!!! glad you're feeling better.

knt1229

Glad your feeling better OP. :bighug: I am caffeine sensitive to so I know how you felt.

FYI (you probably already know this but): The longer you steep tea the stronger it gets. So steeping 10 bags of tea for 2 hours was probably super strong.

Evolving78

i felt like the power of 7 Red Bulls! thanks for the kind words everyone and please be careful. i don't know why i was having such a hard time finding some good directions on how to do the rinse. i guess i learned through trial & error.

reeko43

Wow, that is scary! I am so glad you are ok. One large cup of coffee gives me the jitters and makes me feel ill. I can't begin to imagine what you went through. Well, after all that drama, have you at least noticed a decrease in shedding?

keepithealthy

Wow, thanks for sharing op. I'm happy that your okay. I was thinking about doing tea rinses for my sister who was shedding. Your post has given me some direction because I tend to over do things.

WyrdWay

Dang that was a lot of tea! And a lot of caffine! It has more caffine than coffee! I use four bags to make my gallon jugs of tea!!

Leesh

@shortdub78, I did my rinse today and I only used 3 bags in about 6 cups of water, and I am jittery. It's not as bad as your ordeal but I can't sit my behind still for nothin'. Boy I done cleaned my whole house messin' with this caffeine! Now we truly know that your scalp definately absorbs things almost as well as ingestion. That gives a whole nother outlook on what I will put in my hair, in fear of absorption into my system. I mean I always knew that things enter your system regardless of how, but I didn't think it was to that extent. Just something to think about! Thanks again Dear!

Last edited:

Evolving78

shortdub78, I did my rinse today and I only used 3 bags in about 6 cups of water, and I am am jittery. It's not as bad as your ordeal but I can't sit my behind still for nothin'. Boy I done cleaned my whole house messin' with this caffeine! Now we truly know that your scalp definately absorbs things almost as well as ingestion. That gives a whole nother outlook on what I will put in my hair, in fear of absorption into my system. Just something to think about! Thanks again Dear!

Leesh
you are so right! i was talking about that yesterday. it got me to thinking about hair color, relaxers, products, etc.....

Leesh

@Leesh
you are so right! i was talking about that yesterday. it got me to thinking about hair color, relaxers, products, etc.....

@shortdub78, Yes, It's kinda scarey, right?! (I went back and added this portion to my other post) But, I always knew that things entered your system regardless to how, but not to this extent! It's like I actually drank the freakin' tea! :nono:
I can't even type, I'm jittery as ever!

BostonMaria

... i let it sit for an hour or two. well next thing you know, i started having chest pains and my anxiety levels dramatically increased.i felt like the walls were closing in on me and i started having trouble breathing. i had to lay down awhile until i was able to calm down.

What in the hell?!! LMAO! Wow that's crazy! It must have been a caffeine overload for you or something. That's really scary and funny :giggle:

By the way the title had me dying :lachen:

Evolving78

@shortdub78, Yes, It's kinda scarey, right?! (I went back and added this portion to my other post) But, I always knew that things entered your system regardless to how, but not to this extent! It's like I actually drank the freakin' tea! :nono:
I can't even type, I'm jittery as ever!

Leesh
i would drink some water to try to flush out your system. i had to drink almost a gallon to get me to calm down. it really bothered me for the rest of the week. i have been feeling sad, wanting to cry/crying, etc... i had to leave work early because i felt like i need to run down the street! it was too quiet at work, i couldn't take it.

Leesh

@Leesh
i would drink some water to try to flush out your system. i had to drink almost a gallon to get me to calm down. it really bothered me for the rest of the week. i have been feeling sad, wanting to cry/crying, etc... i had to leave work early because i felt like i need to run down the street! it was too quiet at work, i couldn't take it.

shortdub78, Ohhh Wow! Thanks for the tip! But I'm ok. I'm more concerned with you now. That is very scarey, I would think that this side effect is lasting to long for you. You may need to see a Doctor if this continues.

I'm gonna continue this thru PM! Gimme 2 minutes!

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
ooh yes! tea can have more caffeine than coffee.

i love a cuppa tea english style. i found pg tips and was over the moon.

OP dont do that no mo!!! glad you're feeling better.

If you like PG Tips, your should try Tetley...the best cuppa in the world..with McVities biscuits, the breakfast of champions :lick:

Sorry OP...I miss England :nono: