Black Woman And Child Being Terrorized By Neighbors

Kanky

The police have refused to help her.

https://abc7ny.com/6314156/

VALLEY STREAM, Long Island (WABC) -- A single mother on Long Island says she is the target of ongoing threats and racist harassment at her home.

Jennifer McLeggan a registered nurse, owns a home on Sapir St. in Valley Stream. She claims a man has been throwing feces and dead squirrels in her yard.

McLeggan says she has video of him committing the acts, and he as allegedly threatened her saying she can, 'be erased.'

McLeggan moved into the home two and a halfyears ago. Her suburban dream quickly turned into a nightmare when her next door neighbors, who are white, made it clear she as not welcomed. The single mom claims it began with harassment over her yard.

"I bought the property when I was pregnant and, this is the truth, the property was in bad shape. I'm trying my best to make every effort to clean the property. I've done my best to clean the property. I mow the lawn, when there's snow out here I'm shoveling the snow by myself," McLeggan said, "I'm doing what I can to keep the property clean. I kept on noticing dog feces. I kept on noticing ticket ordinances from the Valley Stream Village town. I keep getting tickets. I keep seeing dog feces. I installed a camera here. I caught my neighbor throwing dog feces in front of my property. I took that video to court and I won a judgment."

McLeggan has posted signs outside her home detailing the aggression in case she is harmed. Her neighbors are now gathering around her, refusing to let her be pushed out.

"In case something happens to me here, then somebody would know I'm in the house with a baby. If I die in here, at least cops would see the sign," McLeggan said.

On Sunday, Nassau County detectives were investigating. McLeggan says she has photos of her neighbors with a gun in a black face mask in the middle of the night, spitting on her property.

Erica Coreas says she, too was harassed when she first moved in, but not to this level.

"We're just trying to give her as much love and support as we can," Coreas said.

The neighbors have now rallied behind McLeggan. The goal now is for the mother and her toddler to live in peace. McLeggan fears police have their hands tied.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I don't understand from the story why the police's hands are tied if she's got a judgement against the dude. It seems like a restraining order shouldn't be a problem and the cameras should pick up repeat behavior.

I realize everyone has different sensibilities but at this point she needs to get on whatever list she needs to and buy a gun and watch some youtube firing tutorials. If somebody who has already proved hostile brandishes a gun, then you have to assume they intend to use it at some point. While I get the sentiment of letting everybody know that if something goes down to go look directly for xyz person, ain't no way I wouldn't have something waiting on they :moon: if they come through. If I gotta go out, I'm trying my best to take the assailant with me.

Kanky

I don't understand from the story why the police's hands are tied if she's got a judgement against the dude. It seems like a restraining order shouldn't be a problem and the cameras should pick up repeat behavior.

I realize everyone has different sensibilities but at this point she needs to get on whatever list she needs to and buy a gun and watch some youtube firing tutorials. If somebody who has already proved hostile brandishes a gun, then you have to assume they intend to use it at some point. While I get the sentiment of letting everybody know that if something goes down to go look directly for xyz person, ain't no way I wouldn't have something waiting on they :moon: if they come through. If I gotta go out, I'm trying my best to take the assailant with me.

Yes, she needs to buy a gun immediately and learn how to use it. A shotgun for home defense and a handgun. Maybe a large dog or two. Even if she can't afford the to train dogs for defense they can provide early warning. This is the craziest situation and I don't know why folks on twitter are calling for protests like that will help her situation. They'd be better off starting a go fund me to raise money for her to buy a house elsewhere. :ohwell:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Yes, she needs to buy a gun immediately and learn how to use it. A shotgun for home defense and a handgun. Maybe a large dog or two. Even if she can't afford the to train dogs for defense they can provide early warning. This is the craziest situation and I don't know why folks on twitter are calling for protests like that will help her situation. They'd be better off starting a go fund me to raise money for her to buy a house elsewhere. :ohwell:
Twitter got one trick and it's "to protest" so no matter what the problem, the answer is protest. Those people out harassing her neighbors at 1 in the afternoon ain't go be nowhere to be found in the middle of the night when these people typically come armed.

naturalgyrl5199

Wish her community would take turns camping out in front of the door and keeping watch. I’ve seen similar before.
A brother has made arrangements for other black men to shift on and off and protect her house. There is a protest going on for her as we speak.

Apparently the guy doing it is off his rocker and harasses EVERYONE who purchases that house. There are restraining orders, tickets, fines, etc. But its not just one guy. There are pictures on her twitter of him and another young guy around her home with long rifled guns. Thats literally intimidation. The police really dont see this guy as a threat. She needs to lawyer up and get them into action. No politician or police officer would tolerate any citizen on their property with a gun....but they allow this to happen to citizens. They really will kill her. She needs to be prepared to shoot to kill. I wouldn't hesitate.

Lute

A brother has made arrangements for other black men to shift on and off and protect her house. There is a protest going on for her as we speak.

Apparently the guy doing it is off his rocker and harasses EVERYONE who purchases that house. There are restraining orders, tickets, fines, etc. But its not just one guy. There are pictures on her twitter of him and another young guy around her home with long rifled guns. Thats literally intimidation. The police really dont see this guy as a threat. She needs to lawyer up and get them into action. No politician or police officer would tolerate any citizen on their property with a gun....but they allow this to happen to citizens. They really will kill her. She needs to be prepared to shoot to kill. I wouldn't hesitate.

Is there something in that house... that the harasser is trying to protect?

Kanky

They were arrested, charged and released on bail.

A white couple on Long Island was arrested for allegedly harassing their black neighbor by repeatedly shooting pellets across her yard and leaving feces on her lawn, officials announced Monday.

John McEneaney, 57, and his 53-year-old girlfriend, Mindy Canarick, are accused of carrying out the attacks on neighbor Jennifer McLeggan from October 2017 — when she moved into her Valley Stream home — until last month, according to Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas.

McLeggan, a 39-year-old single mother of a 2-year-old daughter, brought attention to the alleged harassment last month by listing the allegations on a handwritten sign attached to her door and posted on Instagram.

The mother claimed she was targeted because of her race, but Singas said her office’s investigation “did not find evidence to support a hate crime charge.”

The probe did, however, find “a pattern of harassing conduct against Ms. McLeggan,” the DA said.

McEneaney is accused of firing a pellet gun across McLeggan’s lawn and striking a nearby street sign at least 20 times, officials said.

Canarick allegedly left dog droppings on McLeggan’s property in May 2019, Singas said.

Singas said she was “heartbroken” when she saw the sign posted on McLeggan’s door.

“This conduct crossed the line between being a bad neighbor and into the realm of criminality,” she said.

McEneaney was charged with criminal mischief and harassment. His girlfriend was charged with criminal tampering.
A white couple on Long Island was arrested for allegedly harassing their black neighbor by repeatedly shooting pellets across her yard and leaving feces on her lawn, officials announced Monday.

John McEneaney, 57, and his 53-year-old girlfriend, Mindy Canarick, are accused of carrying out the attacks on neighbor Jennifer McLeggan from October 2017 — when she moved into her Valley Stream home — until last month, according to Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas.

McLeggan, a 39-year-old single mother of a 2-year-old daughter, brought attention to the alleged harassment last month by listing the allegations on a handwritten sign attached to her door and posted on Instagram.

The mother claimed she was targeted because of her race, but Singas said her office’s investigation “did not find evidence to support a hate crime charge.”

The probe did, however, find “a pattern of harassing conduct against Ms. McLeggan,” the DA said.

McEneaney is accused of firing a pellet gun across McLeggan’s lawn and striking a nearby street sign at least 20 times, officials said.

Canarick allegedly left dog droppings on McLeggan’s property in May 2019, Singas said.

Singas said she was “heartbroken” when she saw the sign posted on McLeggan’s door.

“This conduct crossed the line between being a bad neighbor and into the realm of criminality,” she said.

McEneaney was charged with criminal mischief and harassment. His girlfriend was charged with criminal tampering.

Kanky

A little off topic, but this scenario is a good example of why I am opposed to gun control. The neighbors have grandfathered in guns, but she can't legally buy a weapon to protect herself from racist crazies because of all of the new rules and red tape. It is too late to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. At this point all new gun laws can do is keep guns out of the hands of people who need to defend themselves. If her situation hadn't gone viral on twitter then who knows what might have happened to her.

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
A little off topic, but this scenario is a good example of why I am opposed to gun control. The neighbors have grandfathered in guns, but she can't legally buy a weapon to protect herself from racist crazies because of all of the new rules and red tape. It is too late to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. At this point all new gun laws can do is keep guns out of the hands of people who need to defend themselves. If her situation hadn't gone viral on twitter then who knows what might have happened to her.

Why can't she apply for a gun license and then buy for a gun?

vevster

It takes forever and the same cops who didn’t care that she was being terrorized have to approve it. Meanwhile I impulse bought 2 new guns last month because why not?
You cant be licensed for guns in NYC unless you are law enforcement or carry payroll or like monies. Unless something has changed.

Last edited:

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
It takes forever and the same cops who didn’t care that she was being terrorized have to approve it. Meanwhile I impulse bought 2 new guns last month because why not?

Oh I was thinking she had a record or psych issues.

So she can get a license...she just had to be diligent, patient and go through the proper channels.

I suspect it is tough and time consuming in every state to get one especially these days.....but in this climate it is worth the wait.

I learned in my gun training classes that in Maryland, anyone can buy a rifle legally without a license :look: I don't know about NY but if there is a will, there is a way.

Guns up ladies!!!

beloved1bx

Desus & Mero interviewed the woman and she goes through the whole story. It's worth a watch.

A few things:
  • She lives in Long Island (not in NYC) but as someone stated upthread, it might not be easy to get a gun license in general in NYS but I'm not familiar with gun laws here
  • The neighbor who is harassing her is the son of a cop
  • The sign on her door did help her because it kept getting shared on social media and eventually went viral
  • This guy named 'FLOW' was the first to show up at her door to post up overnight to keep watch. (He joins the interview in the above video)
  • Lots of people from all over the greater NYC area have shown up to show support, including gangs

HappilyLiberal

Desus & Mero interviewed the woman and she goes through the whole story. It's worth a watch.

A few things:
  • She lives in Long Island (not in NYC) but as someone stated upthread, it might not be easy to get a gun license in general in NYS but I'm not familiar with gun laws here
  • The neighbor who is harassing her is the son of a cop
  • The sign on her door did help her because it kept getting shared on social media and eventually went viral
  • This guy named 'FLOW' was the first to show up at her door to post up overnight to keep watch. (He joins the interview in the above video)
  • Lots of people from all over the greater NYC area have shown up to show support, including gangs

Gangs??? Yeah... ole boy might want to slow his roll... gangs are not known for their patience!

meka72

This is such a good point that I’d never considered.

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
The police have refused to help her.

https://abc7ny.com/6314156/

VALLEY STREAM, Long Island (WABC) -- A single mother on Long Island says she is the target of ongoing threats and racist harassment at her home.

Jennifer McLeggan a registered nurse, owns a home on Sapir St. in Valley Stream. She claims a man has been throwing feces and dead squirrels in her yard.

McLeggan says she has video of him committing the acts, and he as allegedly threatened her saying she can, 'be erased.'

McLeggan moved into the home two and a halfyears ago. Her suburban dream quickly turned into a nightmare when her next door neighbors, who are white, made it clear she as not welcomed. The single mom claims it began with harassment over her yard.

"I bought the property when I was pregnant and, this is the truth, the property was in bad shape. I'm trying my best to make every effort to clean the property. I've done my best to clean the property. I mow the lawn, when there's snow out here I'm shoveling the snow by myself," McLeggan said, "I'm doing what I can to keep the property clean. I kept on noticing dog feces. I kept on noticing ticket ordinances from the Valley Stream Village town. I keep getting tickets. I keep seeing dog feces. I installed a camera here. I caught my neighbor throwing dog feces in front of my property. I took that video to court and I won a judgment."

McLeggan has posted signs outside her home detailing the aggression in case she is harmed. Her neighbors are now gathering around her, refusing to let her be pushed out.

"In case something happens to me here, then somebody would know I'm in the house with a baby. If I die in here, at least cops would see the sign," McLeggan said.

On Sunday, Nassau County detectives were investigating. McLeggan says she has photos of her neighbors with a gun in a black face mask in the middle of the night, spitting on her property.

Erica Coreas says she, too was harassed when she first moved in, but not to this level.

"We're just trying to give her as much love and support as we can," Coreas said.

The neighbors have now rallied behind McLeggan. The goal now is for the mother and her toddler to live in peace. McLeggan fears police have their hands tied.
Bumping this
I know ppl IRL this has happened to in Canada but not to this level. Here they slander to make it sneakier.

I hope she is doing okay now.