Black Woman Killed After Giving Money To Pandhandler

VeryBecoming

Devil's Avocado
Such a tragic story. I rarely roll my window down for panhandlers but definitely won't now.

Jacquelyn Smith, 54, of Aberdeen was fatally stabbed early Saturday in Baltimore after she rolled down a car window to give money to a panhandler, her husband said.

Keith and Jacquelyn Smith danced Friday night at the American Legion on Madison Street in Baltimore, where they had brought his daughter Shavon to celebrate her 28th birthday.

Hours later, about 12:30 a.m., the 52-year-old Harford County man found himself calling 911 and rushing Jacquelyn, 54, to the emergency room. She had been stabbed by a man through their rolled-down car window after giving money to a woman panhandling in the rain in East Baltimore, he said.

Jacquelyn Smith, an electrical engineer at Aberdeen Proving Ground, had her necklace and pocketbook snatched by the woman and the man, who approached under the guise of thanking her for giving the woman money, her husband said. She died two hours after they arrived at Johns Hopkins Hospital, he said.

The pair ran away, but the woman paused long enough to say something, Keith Smith said.
“This girl actually said, ‘God bless you’ ” after the man stabbed Jacquelyn, he said.

Detectives do not yet have any leads on the pair’s identities, he said.

“They’re using this ruse as panhandlers to get the attention of their would-be victims,” Tuggle said. “We also want to caution the public about engaging with panhandlers and recognizing that not all of them have honest intent. Not all of them have real need.”

Smith, who is from Baltimore and whose daughter lives on Valley Street, now wants to get a law passed in his wife’s memory banning panhandling.

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
May that poor woman R.I.P. Here in NYC you see some of the same people panhandling for years. The worse is when your in a store or the bank. I used to give food and not money. I had bad experiences where I got cussed out in union square in frisco. And I never roll down a car window, and all doors stay locked.

Menina Preta

I do not give any money to panhandlers. I have given food or drink if I came from the grocery or have leftovers. I donate through organizations.

Also, none of the sob stories move me bc they repeat them over and over for years. There is a man on the 2/3 line still asking for exactly six dollars and forty three cents to get home to Rochester. Another woman still high as h*** begging for money on the D train on the Bronx.

Baltimore has very aggressive panhandlers who approach cars all the time. If you don’t pay the ones trying to clean your window or at least acknowledge them, they put some substance on it that is very hard to wash off. I feel for this woman’s family and I hope they find these miscreants who did this.

PopLife

I do not give any money to panhandlers. I have given food or drink if I came from the grocery or have leftovers. I donate through organizations.

Also, none of the sob stories move me bc they repeat them over and over for years. There is a man on the 2/3 line still asking for exactly six dollars and forty three cents to get home to Rochester. Another woman still high as h*** begging for money on the D train on the Bronx.

Baltimore has very aggressive panhandlers who approach cars all the time. If you don’t pay the ones trying to clean your window or at least acknowledge them, they put some substance on it that is very hard to wash off. I feel for this woman’s family and I hope they find these miscreants who did this.
This is one of the many reasons I don't give to panhandlers..a lot them have entitled attitudes. I once gave all the change I had in my car to one at the gas station and he proceeded to hand me back the pennies. Never again....

intellectualuva

I used to always give money to black panhandlers and it's been slowly dwindling down. I stopped giving money to grown black men after what happened to my friend and I in SF. Then I stopped giving money to teenage black boys/young men 16-22 ish I'd see begging around stores in Bmore after this kid tried to intimidate me into giving him 50 cents by stepping closer. I also used to get annoyed that they would only ask women, but never the men who also walked past them.

I was down to black women with children. I JUST gave this woman and her kids a little over 15 bucks for some food just before Thanksgiving.

This scared me as this is always my concern that a man will run up. I'll keep my doors locked and wallet closed for a while.

Plus they were getting bold anyway. Between the guy with the HelpAN-.com website that rants about child support and his baby momma and the number of time I've been told they take credit cards and wave a square attached to an iPhone for credit card processing....I'm done. It's about to be hard on everyone.

ETA. I forgot about the guy who got mad because I said I had no cash, sorry (polite as I try to be) and he got mad then tried to argue and follow me to my car saying that change wasn't cash. He was yelling loudly that coins was coins and chas was cash. I hustled toward my car and turned and told him we live in FL and it's in his best interest not to take another step. He stopped and did an about face.

Last edited:

intellectualuva

May that poor woman R.I.P. Here in NYC you see some of the same people panhandling for years. The worse is when your in a store or the bank. I used to give food and not money. I had bad experiences where I got cussed out in union square in frisco. And I never roll down a car window, and all doors stay locked.

YES! This is what happened to us. We were staying at the Axiom in Union Square and was bombarded with beggars and then cursed and followed til we got to Chipotle. We were horrified and embarrassed because he yelled such lewd things. He seemed extra mad that we black women didnt give him anything, like he expects white women to keep it.moving or say nah, but WE BW owed him our attention and donations.

ETA Now that I think about it Cali panhandlers are so next level. This guy was begging for food and money at a gas station/Taco bell in Malibu or nearby...we were on the PCH. I went in to order a few things and tried to give it to him in addition to the change...like 2 or 3 bucks. This negro hit us with the stop sign said....nah I dont eat Taco Bell and 2/3 dollars isnt buying me jack in Malibu. My best friend and I still chuckle about that guy.

Last edited:

ScorpioBeauty09

Same in the Bay Area. It's to the point I have to time my trips to the bank when there won't be panhandlers around. I can get an attitude but I'm tiny and don't look my age so people think they can get one over.When I lived in SF I had some bad experiences close to Union Square also. I'm back in Oakland now but a couple days ago, SO and I were in the car and a panhandler freaked out when SO refused to give him money. SO said he's always at the same spot. Thank goodness the light turned green within seconds and the windows and doors were all locked.

Sad story in the OP. I hope they find and arrest the people who did this.

Everything Zen

I only give to bw now after a bm panhandler got aggressive with me.

I hope they catch these losers. This was totally senseless.

I was the same but after this I might be done with everybody. People stay getting shot up in my neighborhood in Chicago but it’s the prettiest hood you’ll ever see in life. I’m always a day late and a street away from the latest shooting. A little old white lady unnerved me yesterday bent over and creeping diagonally crossing directly towards me while I was trying to get in my gate yesterday I was watching her out of the side of my eye. I jumped when she got within 5 ft. and she acted surprised when I turned and looked directly at her like what is you doin’? o_O
No m’am everyone is suspect these days. :yep:

CarefreeinChicago

I never give to pan handlers for fear of this happening to me what happened to this poor lady. I used to give all the time but a man asked a lady for a cigarette and she said she didn’t smoke and he hit her in the head with a brick after I saw that on the news down the street from my job nope. I say a little prayer for them and move along. And the lady had brain damage.

Theresamonet

I don’t give to panhandlers at all. Of any race or sex. Not money, not food, not a stick of gum. The whole thing has gotten out of hand. There are so many career beggars and scammers on the streets in Chicago, it’s ridiculous. People are feeding this system, thinking they’re doing good deeds. If I want to feed the poor, I’ll volunteer at a soup kitchen. If I want to give money, I’ll donate to a charity.

May this woman Rest In Peace. :nono:

discodumpling

I only give money in exchange for entertainment. Yeah I know it's wrong but it's a fair exchange NYC.
It seems that these folks weren't actual panhandlers but straight up crooks using panhandling as a ruse to rob & kill.
Rolling down your window for various transactions is quite common in NY. I roll down for my monthly Final Call, an occasional bean pie, or an ice cold bottle of water whilst stuck on traffic in the summertime.

Southernbella.

I was the same but after this I might be done with everybody. People stay getting shot up in my neighborhood in Chicago but it’s the prettiest hood you’ll ever see in life. I’m always a day late and a street away from the latest shooting. A little old white lady unnerved me yesterday bent over and creeping diagonally crossing directly towards me while I was trying to get in my gate yesterday I was watching her out of the side of my eye. I jumped when she got within 5 ft. and she acted surprised when I turned and looked directly at her like what is you doin’? o_O
No m’am everyone is suspect these days. :yep:

Oh I feel you. For me, right now, white men worry me the most. One made me so uncomfortable recently I ended up leaving an event.

I trust nobody.

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
Yeah, when I was younger I gave more readily although I called myself knowing how to judge a situation first (so naive lol).

Now that I have a child...

One time I had pulled to a stop sign and saw this woman approaching the passenger side of my car, waving. I thought she needed directions or something so I rolled down the window. She jumped in my car! :eek: Talking about could I give her two dollars and ride? I did. Before she got out, she asked for more money. :huh:Umm..get out of my car?! My child was in the back seat.

Since then, I make SURE all doors are LOCKED. I reassessed my 'giving' nature.:hammer:

The other day, though, I was coming out of a convenience store. It was one of those that I KNEW ALWAYS had panhandlers swarming about. I had forgotten though since I hadn't been there in ages for that very reason. I was still putting my money away as I walked out the store. :badidea:

White male comes running up, eyeing my money. While I deciding to possibly give him a dollar since he knew I had cash, another male (Black) comes rushing up like I had just opened up a free bank.:ohsnap: OMG.:mad:

My child was with me. I know how to look evil :brucelee:when necessary. Fortunately more people were coming and eyeing them so we could get to my car.

My child is old enough now to understand so I used it as an opportunity to teach about how I had made myself an easy mark, the notion of scammers, the dangers of these situations and why it is ok to not always give.:saythat::yep:

Last edited: