Black Women And Children Being Evicted In A Pandemic.

Kanky

L
ong article here.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53088352#click=https://t.co/yipGqTWYvr

As evictions, both legal and illegal, ramp up in the United States they are likely to disproportionately impact a population that has already been devastated by the coronavirus - African Americans.

Before the pandemic, research showed that of the 2.3 million evictions that take place each year (about four per minute), they disproportionately impacted black families, particularly low-income, black women. In 17 states, black women are twice as likely to be evicted as white renters, according to statistics from the American Civil Liberties Union.

"The most common client we have is a black single mom," said Erica Taylor, director of the Saturday Lawyer Program at the Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation, which provides free legal representation to indigent clients.

Atlanta is located in Fulton County, Georgia, which is about 45% black, and where there are 2,000 pending eviction cases. Eviction Lab's previous research found that evictions were most prevalent in cities in the southeast region of the country, and in places where the population was 30% African American or higher.

Queenie

"Surveys estimated that in the month of May, nearly a third of renters failed to pay their landlords on time, and over half had lost jobs due to the crisis."

Wow this is a lot of people, most of which will not be able to pay the back rent. There will be a lot of people being thrown out this year. :(

Evolving78

I read an article that said 25 percent of people in the city of NY didn’t pay their rent. This is going to require federal intervention but I doubt 45 is concerned with the average American
I knew my landlord wasn’t about that non-payment life. I was not about to play the game with them. There are a lot of people (women) out here that literally don’t have the support or funds to pay, as well as pay for food, utilities, etc.. people are at home and eating more food and use more household supplies. People always have ideas on how others should have managed their money until they experience poverty or loss of income for themselves in this day and age.

Kanky

I read an article that said 25 percent of people in the city of NY didn’t pay their rent. This is going to require federal intervention but I doubt 45 is concerned with the average American

I don't think that the Trump Administration is going to do anything about it. They seem ready to just let things fall apart. Especially if they can blame the mess on Democratic Party politicians.

Queenie

This is definitely going to be worse than 2008.

Most of those people in 2008 couldn't pay their ballooning mortgage rates, but they could still afford to rent something.
This time a lot more people have lost jobs and still haven't been rehired. Sadly many will not for quite sometime.

I'm currently in grad school for Finance. With they way companies are run in the US, there will be many more closing their businesses because they won't be able to recover from the hit of the prolonged period of decreased sales/revenue.

Keen

I knew my landlord wasn’t about that non-payment life. I was not about to play the game with them. There are a lot of people (women) out here that literally don’t have the support or funds to pay, as well as pay for food, utilities, etc.. people are at home and eating more food and use more household supplies. People always have ideas on how others should have managed their money until they experience poverty or loss of income for themselves in this day and age.

In the beginning of the pandemic, there was a group of people encouraging people not to pay rent just to stick it to the landlords.

Well, some people really can’t pay and will be devastated. The government will need to intervene.

Kanky

I'm scared for masses of people who are penniless right now. They gave no real relief to people, they just postponed bills as they accrue. We are starting to see the US for what it truly is. I am preparing myself to witness a nightmare if we don't find some way to help these people.

It is already a mess. When they were showing footage of riots and looting I noticed that every bit of food was cleared off the shelves. People who are looting for the fun of it don’t usually bother stealing the canned goods and cereal. Food bank lines are still miles long.

Jmartjrmd

Amen..amen. Don't I know this 100 fold. It can happen at the blink of an eye. One day you can get anything you need the next day you're struggling to rub 2 pennies together to try and make a fire. Its devestating all around.
Its painful, hurtful and not helpful when people say well you just didn't save or manage your money right. For some yeah could of done better but for a lot that's just not the case.
So much can happen out of your control and fast. You gotta make decisions that will get you through the day and worry about the future later.
Ok breathe.

Kanky

Amen..amen. Don't I know this 100 fold. It can happen at the blink of an eye. One day you can get anything you need the next day you're struggling to rub 2 pennies together to try and make a fire. Its devestating all around.
Its painful, hurtful and not helpful when people say well you just didn't save or manage your money right. For some yeah could of done better but for a lot that's just not the case.
So much can happen out of your control and fast. You gotta make decisions that will get you through the day and worry about the future later.
Ok breathe.

Unfortunately it is typical for Americans not to have savings, but yes, black women who are in this situation will be blamed for it.

https://www.gobankingrates.com/saving-money/savings-advice/americans-have-less-than-1000-in-savings/

Jmartjrmd

Unfortunately it is typical for Americans not to have savings, but yes, black women who are in this situation will be blamed for it.

https://www.gobankingrates.com/saving-money/savings-advice/americans-have-less-than-1000-in-savings/
I understand. I rang the savings bell in a mostly black facebook group and got roasted lol.
I know when you're not making much to begin with it's hard to build up enough savings to last a true emergency.
I just know for me, my family was as helpful as they could be but for some reason couldn't understand where the money went and how quickly. Things were so bad it was like turning on a faucet and watching money pour down the drain.
My husband and I had every intention of him being around for the rebuild so we drained our resources to do what we needed to do. He died anyway.
Me getting deathly ill only added to what was already going on.
We both had high paying jobs, 401ks, stock portfolios, savings, our home, cars and multiple degrees. All that was no match for the hurricane that tore through our lives.
I'm trying to rebuild now but with eyes wide open. It's hard, it's scary and that how can I survive today feeling is suffocating.

Transformer

I have a sister that is a GAMBLER. She lost her house of 35 years in 2010 because she is a GAMBLER. Anyhoo, she has been renting but has decided not to pay......using the POTENTIAL loss of her job due to COVID.

What she wants is to move in with her daughter that owns a house. My niece allowed her to live with her for nearly two years but she was an awful roommate. “I’m not going to pay any rent here because I’m your mother, I use only one bedroom and there are two more empty bedrooms using utilities, and I helped you with your son when your ex-husband went to drug rehab”—-she didn’t help with crap. My great nephew is now in the military and she requested that he make her a dependent and provide her a monthly allotment because she raised him like he was her son—-did not. She called that boy every ugly name in the dictionary because he was shy and awkward, he was 6”4 by age 13–he’s 6’7” now.

They had to part ways when my niece found out that she was asking her dates to “loan” her money because she is a GAMBLER. Family members are through with her because she is a GAMBLER. Last week she pawn a Blue-Ray player for $14 because she is a GAMBLER, then told my niece she couldn’t pay her basic senior citizen limited channels cable bill.

I’m sure she has been gambling with the rent money. We are all prepared to give her the addresses of homeless shelters. She will call us up and say that she doesn’t have money for food and then get pissed when we purchased a grocery store gift card.

Last edited:

nycutiepie

I have a sister that is a GAMBLER. She lost her house of 35 years in 2010 because she is a GAMBLER. Anyhoo, she has been renting but has decided not to pay......using the POTENTIAL loss of her job due to COVID.

What she wants is to move in with her daughter that owns a house. My niece allowed her to live with her for nearly two years but she was an awful roommate. “I’m not going to pay any rent here because I’m your mother, I use only one bedroom and there are two more empty bedrooms using utilities, and I helped you with your son when your ex-husband went to drug rehab”—-she didn’t help with crap. My great nephew is now in the military and she requested that he make her a dependent and provide her a monthly allotment because she raised him like he was her son—-did not. She called that boy every ugly name in the dictionary because he was shy and awkward, he was 6”4 by age 13–he’s 6’7” now.

They had to part ways when my niece found out that she was asking her dates to “loan” her money because she is a GAMBLER. Family members are through with her because she is a GAMBLER. Last week she pawn a Blue-Ray player for $14 because she is a GAMBLER, then told my niece she couldn’t pay her basic senior citizen limited channels cable bill.

I’m sure she has been gambling with the rent money. We are all prepared to give her the addresses of homeless shelters. She will call us up and say that she doesn’t have money for food and then get pissed when we purchased a grocery store gift card.
This is unfortunate. She needs to go to Gamblers Anonymous ASAP.

nyeredzi

Is there some kind of fund for people in situations like this?
A few places may offer some assistance. A few cities, counties, even states. Very piecemeal. The amount of money needed to cover these missed rent payments would be enormous.

It's interesting, because I just heard that the average income went up during the pandemic because the federal addition to unemployment was so high, an extra $600/week on top of state unemployment. If it looks like this with that extra money, what will it look like once that money stops?

A big question, though, is who the landlords are going to replace their tenants with, if they kick them out.

Kanky

A few places may offer some assistance. A few cities, counties, even states. Very piecemeal. The amount of money needed to cover these missed rent payments would be enormous.

It's interesting, because I just heard that the average income went up during the pandemic because the federal addition to unemployment was so high, an extra $600/week on top of state unemployment. If it looks like this with that extra money, what will it look like once that money stops?

A big question, though, is who the landlords are going to replace their tenants with, if they kick them out.
I had a property that was empty for a few months while repairs were made and found a new renter within 2 days of listing it. I raised the rent too.

nyeredzi

I had a property that was empty for a few months while repairs were made and found a new renter within 2 days of listing it. I raised the rent too.
I'm sure that it will work out for some. But how can it work out for the masses? If most people are not paying their rent because they cannot, and unemployment is high, and there are fewer people this year that can afford rent than people who could afford rent last year, the numbers would just say that there are going to be fewer viable tenants. Some landlords will be able to get new tenants, but not all.

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
Was having a conversation with my sister about this, bottom line: we as Black people need to create jobs for other Black people. Not saying this is related to racism, because all of us are going through this at the moment. But our group always seems to be hit the hardest, for reasons that are well known to us and have been discussed ad nauseam in the past decades (on this very board).

What I am saying is not new, but it needs to start being implemented. What I fear is not being able to recuperate from such a disaster within the next 10 - 20 years, which will only further exacerbate the situation for future generations.

Kalia1

It boggles the mind how we as a country can’t get things in order. From the onset of COVID the basic needs of each an every American whether renter or homeowner should have been scrutinized and a sound plan implemented. It’s like we complicate matters by placing band-aids instead of fully healing a problem.

Whether the powers that be foresaw this pandemic raging full speed ahead into 2020 or not they should have taken into consideration the BASIC needs of the people which include housing. In my humble opinion not one person should face eviction based on COVID.

Housing agencies need to step up and give assistance to those in need. How in the world can we begin to fill up shelters in the midst of a pandemic? Wouldn’t it be feasible to keep families in their homes?!?

I hate to think or say it but I’m sincerely starting to believe that the powers that be have solutions yet are selectively acting dumb because who is in position to benefit the most doesn’t look like them.

Kanky

It boggles the mind how we as a country can’t get things in order. From the onset of COVID the basic needs of each an every American whether renter or homeowner should have been scrutinized and a sound plan implemented. It’s like we complicate matters by placing band-aids instead of fully healing a problem.

Whether the powers that be foresaw this pandemic raging full speed ahead into 2020 or not they should have taken into consideration the BASIC needs of the people which include housing. In my humble opinion not one person should face eviction based on COVID.

Housing agencies need to step up and give assistance to those in need. How in the world can we begin to fill up shelters in the midst of a pandemic? Wouldn’t it be feasible to keep families in their homes?!?

I hate to think or say it but I’m sincerely starting to believe that the powers that be have solutions yet are selectively acting dumb because who is in position to benefit the most doesn’t look like them.

This is a soft genocide.

Keen

I'm sure that it will work out for some. But how can it work out for the masses? If most people are not paying their rent because they cannot, and unemployment is high, and there are fewer people this year that can afford rent than people who could afford rent last year, the numbers would just say that there are going to be fewer viable tenants. Some landlords will be able to get new tenants, but not all.

It's cheaper to keep your unit empty than to have a nonpaying tenant. If you have a nice unit in a great location, you will not have issue finding good tenants.

Keen

in NJ here they cant evict you. They have kept that in place.

I know a lady that has been trying to evict her ex since Dec of 2019 and by law she cant. She has to keep letting him in ,even though he isnt on her lease.
Most states have eviction moratorium. Starting this month, Florida only make the moratorium applicable to people who can prove they lost their job AND the unemployment received is not enough to cover rent. That's how it should have been from the start of the pandemic. Those people should get additional assistance.