Black Women Attacked In Asian Nail Salon

dyh080

I dont do mani pedis often...but with an abundance of Asian owned salons all through out Queens and Nassau County of course that's where I go.
I've been to Black salons where the chick didn't want to mess up her own nail art so she did a less than stellar job. Black folks act stush like they dont wanna even touch your feet here! Black salons are far & few between and can charge 2x+ what the Asians are charging.
I'm gonna continue to manage my hands and feet myself for now.

Funny I got the same treatment from two black sales clerks in the shoe department. Neither acted like they wanted to be bothered at all, although they would have received a commission from the sale.

dyh080

When something like this happens we always say the same thing..."we need to have our own...." " we need to stick together".... but I see a few problems with that.

CAUTION: This is MY opinion only. If you are easily offended please do not read.

1. "We" will never stick together because there are not enough "we". Remember, most people who call themselves Black are not from the same country although most have ONLY a continent in common. So it is only natural (we )Blacks do not "stick together". In this Asian shop I BET they have a country in common. You do not see Vietnamese "sticking together" with Indians or Koreans or with Filipinos.... I can go on.

Just imagine Indians rallying around a Chinese candidate for president and calling him "our president".

2. The above mentioned poor customer service in Black salons is common in all industries. There ARE exceptions but for the most part Blacks are NOT good at customer service .

3. Blacks have been proven to be good and excel at entertainment, various arts, culinary, athletics, thought provoking games like chess, and other expressions of extreme creativity.

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
I'm having some difficulty understanding why only one employee and the customer was arrested when it was half a dozen hostile Viet cong swinging brooms. That's 1.

Two. What is this protest supposed to do?
Just to be clear. In this neighborhood cops literally don't give flying :censored:
There is a police station 3 blocks down, no lie and they do nothing. If something is going down they take hours to come out. One time there was an accident 1/2 block from the station, called 911 waited, flagged down a cop car who was on their way to the station, they said they can't stop because it was not their call. All of the employees involved need to be arrested.

They can't call immigration in that neighborhood :laugh:

Or they have one person that's never there doing pedicures.
@ the bolded i was just coming to say that.
I live in that neighborhood. Mess around and ICE come for everyone. Flatbush is little west indies. I NEVER got a good vibe from that place and i don't do my nails in Brooklyn. I have been looking for a good black owned salon. I went to one 2x and i tried but i did not like my service with the side of attitude. I got my nails done at a salon called akkiko, came out really nice even though the nail salon was owned by Japanese folks the techs were black and did an excellent job. I will try some other salons on that list of black owned salons that was complied.

Last edited:

momi

I’ve been getting my nails done at Black women owned salons for years now—in PA and now that I’ve moved to VA, here. They do exist and they take great care of me. For instance, I go back and forth between acrylic nails and my real nails. Since I don’t want my real nails overly damaged, I ask
for my natural nails to be hand filed. Black women are the only techs who have agreed to that.

If anyone is interested, I found all three of my places by going on Instagram and looking up a hashtag of my area code plus “nails” or “nail art”, like: #215nails.

So have I - there are so many to choose from. It took a while to find someone that I liked but I just shopped around until I found the right tech.

yamilee21

Thanks to you NY ladies for selling out the demographics there. I wouldn't want black folks to get caught up in that with ICE. ...
You wouldn't, but unfortunately many others on this site could not care less. That part of Nostrand Avenue has been at the heart of the Caribbean immigrant community for over 40 years. Like many other parts of Brooklyn, there has been some gentrification, but nowhere near as much as trendier areas.

The community can easily opt to boycott both of the owners' nail shops, which should be enough of a warning to similarly owned shops in the area. I think it is the same area where the Korean grocery was boycotted in 1990 after one of the workers hit a Haitian customer. In that case, the boycott lasted months, and the owners ended up having to close down and sell... although it was sold to another Korean family.

Gin&Tonic

This is stupid. I don't go to any Asian store that is a black community ( I dont care what country they are from). No Asian food, no nail salon, no beauty supply store. The day I see a black little league sponsored by them or see an Asian at the local black owned wing cafe-maybe I'll rethink my position.

They don't put a dime in our communities. They eat in the salon and I never even see one of them at the neighborhood gas station .

We had better boss up as a people or perish. And protesting is stupid. Use that time to mentor a kid. What about putting these folks on ignore?

I dont do my nails at all, just file , buff and keep my hands soft- yet I'm out here turning heads. For gala events, I paint my nails.

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
You wouldn't, but unfortunately many others on this site could not care less. That part of Nostrand Avenue has been at the heart of the Caribbean immigrant community for over 40 years. Like many other parts of Brooklyn, there has been some gentrification, but nowhere near as much as trendier areas.

The community can easily opt to boycott both of the owners' nail shops, which should be enough of a warning to similarly owned shops in the area. I think it is the same area where the Korean grocery was boycotted in 1990 after one of the workers hit a Haitian customer. In that case, the boycott lasted months, and the owners ended up having to close down and sell... although it was sold to another Korean family.

To the first bolded i agree. I seen that a lot up here. I was born in BK but my parents are Grenadian. Most of my neighbors and people in the area are from various Caribbean countries. Calling ICE is bad thing no matter what happened. I don't care what color you are, if your trump loving, i don't care because when they come they come for everyone.

To the second point they are just going to move those ladies around, close for a bit and open up under new management. I remember what happened in 1990, but most of these businesses owned by Asians are like a network, they will just rotate. I live in this neighborhood all my life and i don't patronize some of these businesses that include some Caribbean places because of the messed up service.

This is stupid. I don't go to any Asian store that is a black community ( I dont care what country they are from). No Asian food, no nail salon, no beauty supply store. The day I see a black little league sponsored by them or see an Asian at the local black owned wing cafe-maybe I'll rethink my position.

They don't put a dime in our communities. They eat in the salon and I never even see one of them at the neighborhood gas station .

We had better boss up as a people or perish. And protesting is stupid. Use that time to mentor a kid. What about putting these folks on ignore?

I dont do my nails at all, just file , buff and keep my hands soft- yet I'm out here turning heads. For gala events, I paint my nails.

We aren't all getting our nails done to turn heads :laugh: but I get what you are saying.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.

I don't want to live in that world.

Crackers Phinn

My community is more important than egg rolls.
That is debatable.

"Your" community been saying and doing the same thing since 15 year old Latasha Harlins got shot by a Korean store owner in 1991 over orange juice probably longer. My community been saying and doing the same thing about Arab store owners which have a long history of owners molesting black girls while turning a profit and giving nothing back at least since the 70's.

If black folks were strategic we would target these "foreign" businesses for protest to force them out and be ready to install a black business in their place as soon as they leave. But that's not going to happen. The same way it hasn't happened the last 984718945676820972 times this same scenario has played out.

When I see action in enough quantity to match the outrage then I might reassess my views on egg rolls until then pass the sweet and sour sauce.

Live.Laugh.Love

So I have been going down the black hole of Asian nail salons on Twitter/youtube. And apparently they do this lock the door and beat people thing all the time.

This is their tactic. Smh

Last edited:

Gin&Tonic

That is debatable.

"Your" community been saying and doing the same thing since 15 year old Latasha Harlins got shot by a Korean store owner in 1991 over orange juice probably longer. My community been saying and doing the same thing about Arab store owners which have a long history of owners molesting black girls while turning a profit and giving nothing back at least since the 70's.

If black folks were strategic we would target these "foreign" businesses for protest to force them out and be ready to install a black business in their place as soon as they leave. But that's not going to happen. The same way it hasn't happened the last 984718945676820972 times this same scenario has played out.

When I see action in enough quantity to match the outrage then I might reassess my views on egg rolls until then pass the sweet and sour sauce.

My community has black owned places. Our chick-fil-a, smoothie king, Wendy's ,mcdonalds, wing place, fried fish place, are all black owned. If the Asians leave, maybe that will free up space for another black owned spot.

See "We" took ownership of our community and "We" own it.

The neighborhood you are discussing is not my reality. But then, we put community over food. Funny what priorities will do for a community.

Crackers Phinn

My community has black owned places. Our chick-fil-a, smoothie king, Wendy's ,mcdonalds, wing place, fried fish place, are all black owned. If the Asians leave, maybe that will free up space for another black owned spot. See "We" took ownership of our community and "We" own it. The neighborhood you are discussing is not my reality. But then, we put community over food. Funny what priorities will do for a community.

Congratulations on your community having a food court! Yet you admittedly still have Asians siphoning money out of your community just like those other neighborhoods that are "not your reality".

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I'm curious to know what people in the legal field has to say about this? I see comments about false imprisonment, which doesn't require any legal justification.. but if monies is owed for services, like an oral contract, is that the justification being used? I don't agree that people should be allowed to restrain a person against their will and not get some sort of legal backlash, whether monies is owed or not...
Looks like these Asians are getting away with this... If they were being sued or arrested for this behaviour, it wouldn't be happening so frequently. Most often, the other minorities/customers are the ones being arrested

So I have been going down the black hole of Asian nail salons on Twitter/youtube. And apparently they do this lock the door and beat people thing all the time.

This is their tactic. Smh

GreenEyedJen

I'm curious to know what people in the legal field has to say about this? I see comments about false imprisonment, which doesn't require any legal justification.. but if monies is owed for services, like an oral contract, is that the justification being used? I don't agree that people should be allowed to restrain a person against their will and not get some sort of legal backlash, whether monies is owed or not...
Looks like these Asians are getting away with this... If they were being sued or arrested for this behaviour, it wouldn't be happening so frequently. Most often, the other minorities/customers are the ones being arrested

My first thought was tortious false imprisonment. It is false imprisonment at common law; the only defense to tortious false imprisonment is consent by the injured party.

Torts are civil actions, so they wouldn't be arrested but they could and should be taken to court. I'm not licensed in any of the states that have been listed in this thread, nor am I a criminal attorney so I really don't know what criminal charges could be brought.

dyh080

There is always one! We can never all be on the same page. The reasons them Asians and Arabs win is because they stick together.

I’m glad to hear black men out there protesting in the vida you posted
They stick with their kind....Vietnamese with Vietnamese, Egyptians with Egyptians, Filipinos with Filipinos. I am 99% sure those Asians in the shop are all one type of Asian.

You would be hard pressed to see Indians "sticking together" with Japanese or Chinese "sticking together" with Vietnamese because they are all Asians.

My point: This is the reason "we" can never "stick together"......different countries of origin.