Black Women Attacked In Asian Nail Salon

nlamr2013

I dont do mani pedis often...but with an abundance of Asian owned salons all through out Queens and Nassau County of course that's where I go.
I've been to Black salons where the chick didn't want to mess up her own nail art so she did a less than stellar job. Black folks act stush like they dont wanna even touch your feet here! Black salons are far & few between and can charge 2x+ what the Asians are charging.
I'm gonna continue to manage my hands and feet myself for now.
The black salon I went to she hooked my pedi up! Lol it was the nail tech her work was excellent but she was a bit stank plus it was crazy far from my home. So I wasn’t going out of my way to spend my money to get attitude.

Southernbella.

Bold. Most businesses would NOT allow you to boldly walk in and hand out flyers for your business. But, these Asians ignored this brazen move and quietly continued to make money KNOWING that most ( meaning not all) Black businesses are no competition for them. Especially if operated by attitude having chick.

She addressed that here:

They come in her shop and her brother owns a food spot and the Asians come in there handing out Chinese food menus.
It's interesting that people are calling her ratchet and ghetto for doing this especially if Asians do this to black folks.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
How is anybody supposed to know about Asians going in her shop or her brothers restaurant based on the video she’s in?

I’m a business owner and wouldn’t have allowed my competitors to come running through my spot unless we worked something out in advance and I was benefiting from it. The second video made her look worse to me than the first.

dyh080

She addressed that here:

They come in her shop and her brother owns a food spot and the Asians come in there handing out Chinese food menus.
It's interesting that people are calling her ratchet and ghetto for doing this especially if Asians do this to black folks.
Yeah, sure. They just LET Asians run through their stores. Sure.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
The problem is .. people outside of her sphere wouldn't have known of Trina's issues with her competitors beforehand.. I watched the first vid, then saw the backlash video, so it was a bit confusing. I don't know why she had been allowing Asians to advertise in her store if her brother has a seafood store, unless she'd been getting something out the deal. :) Give us the whole story, not bits and pieces...

I wish her nail store much success though!

She addressed that here:

Keen

The black salon I went to she hooked my pedi up! Lol it was the nail tech her work was excellent but she was a bit stank plus it was crazy far from my home. So I wasn’t going out of my way to spend my money to get attitude.
I found a black lady who did a great job with my pedi. I went back two more times, both times she tried having her sons do it. I'm not about that so I never went back.

RoundEyedGirl504

Until Black people start to seek Black business out as a first option I don't see much movement on this issue. The fact that folks have to cobble together a list of these places post-release of videos of one of us getting beat down says something. We have to come up with a movement to make shopping black standard procedure? I have been going to a black owned place to get my nails, hair removal, etc done for a few years. I recommend them first to everybody and don't even necessarily mention they're black owned.

ThirdEyeBeauty

Until Black people start to seek Black business out as a first option I don't see much movement on this issue. The fact that folks have to cobble together a list of these places post-release of videos of one of us getting beat down says something. We have to come up with a movement to make shopping black standard procedure? I have been going to a black owned place to get my nails, hair removal, etc done for a few years. I recommend them first to everybody and don't even necessarily mention they're black owned.
Quoted for emphasis!

DeRay

They are not going to take the train to Harlem from Flatbush for nails but it was very nice of Teyana to offer. :lachen: One of those girls in Brooklyn should have done this but they barely have enough time to see their regular clients :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing...in New York no one is traveling that far for nail services. I live in Cali where everyone drives and I'm constantly complimented on my nails but I travel a bit from where I live cause I love my nail tech and she does a good job, but when people compliment me and ask about where I get them done the first thing they say is that's too far to go to get their nails done.

I've been getting my nails done on a regular basis since I was in the 8th grade and I'm now 40+ I've never had issues with Vietnamese nails techs..but I tend to frequent nicer nail salons. But I've never had anyone ever be disrespectful to me..

HappilyLiberal

Quoted for emphasis!
Out of fairness, a lot of black business owners need to up their customer service skills. I'm not paying a premium to not get good service.

Kimbosheart

Out of fairness, a lot of black business owners need to up their customer service skills. I'm not paying a premium to not get good service.

That could be true but the customer service is far from stellar at the Asian nail places.

OAN this is often cited as an excuse for not frequenting black owned establishments. And while I agree in some aspects I’d rather patronize the business and try to point out resources for the business owner that are widely available in most cities to help improve in particular areas.

HappilyLiberal

Because the Asian nail salon was rated A++.
Mostly likely it's the price that's the deciding factor and not the customer service skills. I know very well the east Asian owner can charge less for a reason.
That could be true but the customer service is far from stellar at the Asian nail places.

OAN this is often cited as an excuse for not frequenting black owned establishments. And while I agree in some aspects I’d rather patronize the business and try to point out resources for the business owner that are widely available in most cities to help improve in particular areas.
See... I've never had problems at any of the Asian nail places I've visited (and I've been to several because, quite honestly, I don't get my nails done often enough--maybe once every three years to be loyal to one salon). I got good service, got in, and got out. But I have been to black Salons and I have to sit there and wait while the nail tech finishes her food, yaps about her no-good baby daddy (yes this really happened twice), calls up and cusses out her kids or said baby daddy. I also have to listen to loud music and loud customers. I don't deal with that in the Asian nail salons. Then, I have to pay extra for the privilege!

Crackers Phinn

Before you even get into customer service or taking black dollars blah blah blah, Asian nail salons are gross and unhygienic. I know people are trying to get the most bang for their buck but I'd put money on people being a nick or small cut away from a bacterial infection at the average cheap Asian nail spot. They make their money on volume and skimp on everything else which is partially why these fools are falsely imprisoning and beating people over five whole American dollas. I primarily went to these salons for waxing not mani/pedi's but after being burnt and losing skin along with hair I chucked going the cheap way the deuces forever ago. On the mani/pedi tip I have only ever ended up with bloody cuticles going to Asians which was enough to turn me off to those services for a long time. The golden rule whether you got it like that financially or not is that you get what you pay for. If you paying b.s. prices expect b.s. service. While them Asian thugs had no business doing what they did I ain't go lie, when I read this story I was wondering how good of a job did the black lady expect for the $5 she was refusing to pay?

The only black nail spot I have been to was inside a JCPenny's salon which obviously isn't black owned but I didn't question the cleanliness and my appointments always happened at the time they were scheduled. I don't go to hood salons because hood shenanigans (like cash only/pay before service/lateness/people coming in to sell stuff/the entrance/exists looking like prison cells) ensue and I don't have the patience for it anymore.

Somebody gave me a gift certificate to the Murad Salon and afterwards it was a "white people take my money" wrap. I was hurt, HURT I SAY when that place shut down. It was a spa adjacent to the Murad medical center (where I went for dermatology visits) and you could eat off the floor (if that's what you're into). When my shoes disintegrated that one terribly embarrassing time, the dude was on the spot with Cavi-cide to clean the area and give me a pair disposable flip flops almost before I realized something had happened. After they closed, I followed my masseuse and aesthetician to Burke Williams where I will admit I had sticker shock and I'm still pissed that they don't provide alcohol (Murad believed wine/champagne was good for the skin) but both me and the old man have made some great business contacts so both our memberships have paid for themselves.

Alladat is to say, I feel a little removed from the Asian nail spot hoopla because it's a travesty that these places be called salons. To me, an admitted hypochondriac there's bigger issues about these spots than just invading black neighborhoods. I think over the long haul, we're going to find that they are making a lot of women sick with unhygienic practices.

ThirdEyeBeauty

See... I've never had problems at any of the Asian nail places I've visited (and I've been to several because, quite honestly, I don't get my nails done often enough--maybe once every three years to be loyal to one salon). I got good service, got in, and got out. But I have been to black Salons and I have to sit there and wait while the nail tech finishes her food, yaps about her no-good baby daddy (yes this really happened twice), calls up and cusses out her kids or said baby daddy. I also have to listen to loud music and loud customers. I don't deal with that in the Asian nail salons. Then, I have to pay extra for the privilege!
That's fine. Enjoy the unhygienic, unregulated, poorly paid sweatshop-treated employees who are most likely talking about you and their terrible work conditions while you enjoy the cheap manicure.

HappilyLiberal

That's fine. Enjoy the unhygienic, unregulated, poorly paid sweatshop-treated employees who are most likely talking about you and their terrible work conditions while you enjoy the cheap manicure.

I will and you enjoy paying premium prices for the same unhygienic, unregulated, poorly paid employees who are also probably talking about your Bourgeoisie behind as soon as you leave. The black Salons are no more regulated than the Asians ones.

But as I said, I only get mani/pedis about once every three years because I have a rather large collection of polishes at home. So, no one is going to be making money off me!

Last edited:

meka72

The unhygienic practices and poor quality work kept me from patronizing Asian nail salons. More recently, I’ve learned of possible fraud (people claiming to be licensed but are not—that’s their business model) and possible human trafficking (a major issue and another reason they can offer such low prices) and actively discourage people in my circle from going there.

Before you even get into customer service or taking black dollars blah blah blah, Asian nail salons are gross and unhygienic. I know people are trying to get the most bang for their buck but I'd put money on people being a nick or small cut away from a bacterial infection at the average cheap Asian nail spot. They make their money on volume and skimp on everything else which is partially why these fools are falsely imprisoning and beating people over five whole American dollas. I primarily went to these salons for waxing not mani/pedi's but after being burnt and losing skin along with hair I chucked going the cheap way the deuces forever ago. On the mani/pedi tip I have only ever ended up with bloody cuticles going to Asians which was enough to turn me off to those services for a long time. The golden rule whether you got it like that financially or not is that you get what you pay for. If you paying b.s. prices expect b.s. service. While them Asian thugs had no business doing what they did I ain't go lie, when I read this story I was wondering how good of a job did the black lady expect for the $5 she was refusing to pay?

The only black nail spot I have been to was inside a JCPenny's salon which obviously isn't black owned but I didn't question the cleanliness and my appointments always happened at the time they were scheduled. I don't go to hood salons because hood shenanigans (like cash only/pay before service/lateness/people coming in to sell stuff/the entrance/exists looking like prison cells) ensue and I don't have the patience for it anymore.

Somebody gave me a gift certificate to the Murad Salon and afterwards it was a "white people take my money" wrap. I was hurt, HURT I SAY when that place shut down. It was a spa adjacent to the Murad medical center (where I went for dermatology visits) and you could eat off the floor (if that's what you're into). When my shoes disintegrated that one terribly embarrassing time, the dude was on the spot with Cavi-cide to clean the area and give me a pair disposable flip flops almost before I realized something had happened. After they closed, I followed my masseuse and aesthetician to Burke Williams where I will admit I had sticker shock and I'm still pissed that they don't provide alcohol (Murad believed wine/champagne was good for the skin) but both me and the old man have made some great business contacts so both our memberships have paid for themselves.

Alladat is to say, I feel a little removed from the Asian nail spot hoopla because it's a travesty that these places be called salons. To me, an admitted hypochondriac there's bigger issues about these spots than just invading black neighborhoods. I think over the long haul, we're going to find that they are making a lot of women sick with unhygienic practices.

Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I've never been disrespected in any Asian nail salon that I've went to over the years. That's not to say they couldn't have been speaking about me in another language. :confused:
If I could find a black owned nail salon close to me, I'd certainly try them out. I get a lot more attitude in the non Asian salons that I've been to in Bergen County NJ area.

Crackers Phinn

You go be posting these kinda videos multiple times a week and each new encounter will be more appalling than the last but black women are go keep going to them nail salons the same way they still going to waffle house. Asian folks, particularly the men know they ain't going to jail behind beating on black women (or worse) and even if a black man is present odds are there won't be any repercussions for laying hands on a black woman so AFAIC The Hunger Games have begun. It's not going to be long before one of these Asian merchants kills a black woman. We are past if, we are on when.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would never say this in mixed company but I'll put it out here. Hindsight being 20/20, some of these situations did not have to escalate on the bw's end. There is no such thing as a perfect $5 manicure, pay the people for their *******y work and call it a day. If your child runs out of the store with something that you didn't pay for, don't throw it back in the store like it's garbage even if it is $0.99. Take it in explain, apologize, hell pay for it since $0.99 ain't nothing and leave on an apology. I'm not saying the Asian people are right, I'm saying bw gotta stop dialing everything up to 10 when the situation can be resolved at 2. Especially if bw ain't making any plans to stop going to these places.