Black Women Cutting Back on Hair Care Spending in a Bad Economy

zamaih

Hey ladies, check this article out about how more black women are starting to do their hair themselves.

http://www.bvonmoney.com//2010/08/2...-back-on-hair-care-spending-in-a-bad-economy/

One of the last things that a black woman can be convinced to reduce is the quality and quantity of her hair care. Yet, our very tough economic times have led many black women to significantly reduce the amounts they spend to keep their hair looking great. An amusing video by The Grio explores some of the reductions in spending on their hair care a few African American women have made given the state of the economy.

In this brief look at black women, the recession and hair care, Nythia Ellie said: "I do my hair at home. I've ventured out but not as much as I would before the economy got bad, so I really do my hair myself or have my sisters do it for me." And she is not alone. According to a survey by Design Essentials, thirty-six percent of African American women have reduced their number of visits to the hair salon as a result of the economic downturn

One set of businesses that might be benefiting from this trend is the beauty supply stores. As more women are getting their hair done at home, the need for home beauty supplies has started to increase. Also, simpler hairstyles are becoming more fashionable, like the natural afro worn by a young woman in the video, making it less necessary to go to the salons at all. But even "natural" styles require the right beauty supplies for your hair's special needs.

Black women faced with cutting back on hair care and changing to a simpler style may find that altering their hair can positively affect their health. Some women do not want to sweat out their expensive hairstyles, making it less likely that they will engage in physical activity. This can lead to problems like obesity, heart disease and high blood pressure, which affect millions of African Americans at a higher rate than other groups. If a black woman's hair is less of a priority, or is more natural, perhaps more will be willing to sweat vigorously on a regular basis -- leading to a host of health improvements. Of course, saving money is an added plus.

Perhaps it's time for a change in how we view black women's hair, and the amount of money we expect black women to spend on it. Should it really be that expensive to manage? Have you or your friends or relatives considered cutting back on black hair care because of the economy, or other beneficial reasons?

Lawrence Watkins is the Founder of Great Black Speakers. He is also the owner of speakers' bureaus dedicated to Hispanic speakers and Christian motivational speakers. His book, "Frame Your Future: 8 Principles to Effectively Focus on the Future and Not Dwell in the Past", will be released in August 2010. If you would like Lawrence's articles delivered directly to your email, please click here.

Barbara

Princess
This article describes me by verbatim. I had to cut back, however, I still go once every now and then. I went this month for the first time this year. Times are really tough for us. The only drawback is that my hair doesn't keep that salon look long now.

Last edited:

zamaih

I cut back unintentionally, but it was the best thing I ever did. I hated being a slave to the salon and wasting hours of my life there. So glad im a DIYer now, I've saved $1200 minimum since Oct.

Vashti

I haven't been to a salon in years but since i started taking better care of my hair this year I've spent quite a bit more money on hair products than before.

D.Lisha

lol, you know? Economy is kind of how I stumbled upon my haircare journey

It was around last year sometime, I wanted an install done just because I was bored with my real hair. Now I didn't want to do the traditional "all black hair"....I jst HAD to throw some candy apple red in there :perplexed:. So jst for the hair itself (2 packs of 2B 16inches and 1 pack of the Red) I spent like $120.00.......then to actually get it installed was another $120.00!!!! :thud:
i'm sorry, im jst not the type of chick to spend that much on hair......

I remember saying-->>"you know what? I'm sick of paying for 16inches+ hair, I want to grown my own for free!!" and that's where my HHJ began lol

bluediamond0829

Well its the opposite with me I've actually started back going to the salon(every two weeks) because I'm really not good at taking care of my own hair at home. I get so many setbacks when i do try to take charge. This is the healthiest my hair has been and it has grown since Ive been going. I don't know what I would do without going to the salon(probably look for a cheaper alternative or cheaper salon).

jada1111

I completely agree.

I'm lucky to have found some inexpensive shampoos and conditioners that work well for me. I found one styler that's under $10, but all the others are $18 and above. I've tried to skimp with cheaper ones, but my hair never comes out right, so I have to invest in quality stylers.

newbeginnings2010

This article is old news for me! :lol: I've been doing my own hair since I went to college in 2006 and mom stopped paying for my salon visits and started paying for books, food, and tuition! :lol: I suffered MANY setbacks in the beginning, from using Suave shampoo and conditioner (I know some people love the one that's "comparable" to Nexxus, but I lost a TON of hair with that stuff), to wet wrapping with pure Lotta Body (I didn't read the instructions :blush:). After all that, I went back to the salon, but it wasn't the same. I WANTED the independence of managing my own hair. That's why I came back to the board!

Charlie555

I agree too. I haven't been for a full salon visit in about a year & a half not including my 2 trips to super cuts for a trim before I became a self trimmer. I was tired of spending hours in the salon & not being able to schedule anything after my hair appointment because I didn't know what time I was going to get out. Plus they were charging way to much. Finding LHCF was the best $6.50 I ever spent! :yep:

LadyPBC

I cut back from once per week to every 2 weeks to every 3 weeks. It was a matter of me looking at my budget and trying to find ways to cut it to pay off debt. Then I ventured into weaves to give my hair a rest but had to find a less expensive alternative cuz dude was good but setting me back a pretty penny. I didn't want whatever I decided to try next to be more costly than my salon visits. I always had to work through the economics of it all. How long will it last and will it cost more than what I'm paying now?

I found a stylist (without a license) in a salon but I'd better pack 3 meals cuz I was gonna be there a good while. They always braided my hair too tight and dried my hair without a protectant but I'm sure they knew what they were doing - right? Oh and it was quite a bit cheaper - chaching! (of course I got what I paid for)

Then I was somehow convinced that I could have straight silky hair even with my natural hair (which I nicknamed Kunta Kente hair). THis came from a very reputable stylist (although expensive) so I decided to give it a try. This was the start of my (uninformed) natural hair journey. Eventually - months later - I found out about the hair forums (don't remember how) and decided that maybe I didn't want all that heat on my hair afterall and maybe I should learn how to take care of my own hair.

Here I am today pleased that I made the choice. I sometimes (in the very beginning) wanted to turn back or at least get a texturizer cuz whoa baby this mostly 4a stuff was rough. I will admit while I save time and money by not going to the salon I spend a whole lot of money on being a PJ and jumping on every bandwagon it seems (deliver me). And my new Boo every weekend is my hair we have a standing date for my healthy hair care regimen and experiments - LOL. I remember turning down dates with a guy cuz I had to do my hair. Hmmm - he was nice and cute too.

I don't believe that I spend as much as I did before going to the salon but then again maybe so. I'm learning so much about my hair and how to care for it it it seems so much healthier and fun to play in and play with that I won't complain.

brucebettye

I stopped going to the salon because my beautician started having serious personal problems. That was 3 years ago and I have been a diy person since then. I love taking care of my own hair. I like that I don't have to fit in a salon visit that last at least 3 to 4 hours on the weekend.

SweetSpirit86

So, you've got 36% of us who cut back due to the economy. I wonder how much the rest of us who didn't cut back because of the economy, but because of bad haircare practices, would up that number? lol

Mari-Cris

It was around last year sometime, I wanted an install done just because I was bored with my real hair. Now I didn't want to do the traditional "all black hair"....I jst HAD to throw some candy apple red in there :perplexed:. So jst for the hair itself (2 packs of 2B 16inches and 1 pack of the Red) I spent like $120.00.......then to actually get it installed was another $120.00!!!! :thud:

I remember saying-->>"you know what? I'm sick of paying for 16inches+ hair, I want to grown my own for free!!" and that's where my HHJ began lol

I hear you. Like you, my hair is shoulder-length and my goal is to get to waist length (stretched). I was never one for weaves or extensions. I just don't understand why so many black women spend a mini-fortune to buy the hair and then more money to have someone put it in. I just found LHCF about a month ago and in the past couple of weeks, after much reading and research, I bought almost $300 worth of products. However, 90% of what I bought will last me at least a year.

Why pay several hundred dollars for weaves every couple of months? That to me just seems like such a waste of money, esp. since it is temporary. I don't understand the point of doing that if you can buy the products, develop a good regimen and practice, to eventually get the length you are seeking.

The investment I made recently will, in all probability, yield several inches of growth to my hair (at least) - and this is permanent (as long as I properly maintain it) and it is MINE.

My Friend

I can understand people becoming diy'ers due to the economy :yep: My concern is that BW in this industry will suffer while Asian owned BSS profit greatly :nono: If they spent their money in our communities I wouldnt care but they don't :nono: and hiring a black person to deal with "our people" and paying them cash under the table doesnt count :wallbash:

SweetSpirit86

I just don't want cheap and poor to become associated with natural hair. :rolleyes:

Ugh...I hope that doesn't happen. Lord knows this journey has NOT been cheap. I see that point reflected in my DF's eyes everytime I LOOK at a hair product.

southerncitygirl

i've been like this since my transition in late 01' or early 02' (now natural).....i most of my products last me 3-6 months becase if i can i get 16oz or 32oz sizes (kbb,afroveda), buy 2-3 bottles of shampoo and condtioner at the same time from vitacost.com and i only get my hair dusted 2x a yr by my stylist and the most i've visted her in a yr is maybe 5times to get my hair flatironed. i avoid beauty supply stores as much as possible by buying natural products directly from companies, at health foods stores and online at vitacost.com

HappilyLiberal

So, you've got 36% of us who cut back due to the economy. I wonder how much the rest of us who didn't cut back because of the economy, but because of bad haircare practices, would up that number? lol

I stopped going to the salon because my hair was breaking off and I figured I could break my own hair off for free. By the time this economy kicked my butt I had figured out a regimen so the bad economy doesn't have me freaking out (at least not about my hair).

$inna-$pice

I totally agree.. this is what also made me start my hair journey about 3 months ago. I spent so much money on my last 2 pks of hair--$90 for each! And even though it claimed to be "Virgin Remy Hair" that crap tangled like crazy! Not to mention how much I spent to install it :nono:. I was so disappointed I cut it out myself after 2 weeks and decided to get serious about my own hair. Having a jacked up weave has made me appreciate my hair more and put a lot more money in my pocket.

Ladybelle

I didn't stop going because I couldn't afford it, I stopped going because I actually do a better job on my hair. Years of what I deem "hair abuse" at a salon is what caused me to begin my HHJ and it's thrived more than it ever did when I was at the salon every two weeks. Not saying there aren't salons out there that really care about the health of hair because there are, I just never found one.

I only go to the salon now when I'm too lazy to do it myself & I make sure to take all my LHCF knowlege with me.

naturalmanenyc

Although I still go to the salon once in a while, I've been DIY since July 2007 because my stylist moved out of state. A couple of my friends are natural DIYer's but most are still going to the salon regularly (relaxed heads).

I do not think it's only the economy that lead to less salon visits but also more women being concerned about the health of their hair (many going natural). Even the commericals reflect this. I have seen a ton of t.v. commerical laterly with natural heads.

RossBoss

I've never spent a lot of money on hair. I only go to the salon 4 times a year for a touch up use basic shampoos, conditioners and oils for my hair. My hair just doesn't require much to stay clean and healthy.