Black women DO have long hair

blkbeauty

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
suncypress said:
hi webby--i agree with you, though i think it's regional.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey Poohbear,

ITA. Where I live Black women have the longest hair, where as the White women keep their hair in shorter styles, especially in cute bob styles.

Shinka

Yes Yes Yes. I am from the bronx and go to school in philly. I went natural because my hair was breaking badly here and all my friends hair( no matter where they were from) suffered. Granted I never had hair beyond shoulder length, but it was healthy expecially when I arrived because I took care of my ahir for a year prior and it had a fresh cut.

I think one it's the water...horrible.
two stylist here like to fry hair...flat irions etc.

Now I just request a wrap or roller set and so do my friends. I mostly do my hair myself. it's safer.

NYC woman of color have beautiful hair. I've seen my share of both sepctrums because I live in the Projects, but as ladies age and get domican blow outs more often, they hair gets healty. Most NYC women know the key to growing hair is to get a rollerset weekly by domicans.

MonaLisa

[ QUOTE ]
Shinka said:
Most NYC women know the key to growing hair is to get a rollerset weekly by domicans.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...Another affirmation of the weekly Dominican rollerset!
/images/graemlins/up.gif

webby

Think Slim
[ QUOTE ]
MonaLisa said:
[ QUOTE ]
Shinka said:
Most NYC women know the key to growing hair is to get a rollerset weekly by domicans.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...Another affirmation of the weekly Dominican rollerset!
/images/graemlins/up.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I am living proof that you can learn to do it yourself. For the first time in my life, I'm no longer a hostage of the Dominican Salons /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MonaLisa

[ QUOTE ]
webby said:
I am living proof that you can learn to do it yourself. For the first time in my life, I'm no longer a hostage of the Dominican Salons /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh Snaps! lol. There is hope... /images/graemlins/clap.gif

silvergirl

i live in mid west canada. an ive only seen 2.. count em 2 black female with their own long hair.. everyone else here is in weave. literally. it may be diff in places like toronto or even vancouver,, but this is how it is on the praries.

ms_kenesha

I've been in the DC area since I was 12 and the Dominican Doobie is a new development to me. I first heard about it from my FMIL because she's from Jersey and she was telling me about the "Doobie shops" in Jers. Then I came to the board and found out about the ones in the DC area and then told her about the local DC ones and now she, her daughter, and I go to them.

When I was in middle/high school there were a few girls with long (bra-strap) hair(10%), about 30% w/ shoulder length hair and a lil beyond, but most had hair above shoulder length. The black salons that I frequented used a lot of heat and even when I started getting rollerwraps at those salons they always still pulled out the marcel curling iron after they rolled and wrapped your hair /images/graemlins/nono.gif

[ QUOTE ]
sengschick said:
I understand that the doobie is a regular process used in the DC area as well. It's foreign in these parts, heat, heat, heat, chop, chop, chop... that's our norm /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ayeshia

DO NOT go to buffalo if you want to see women with long hair. weaves are a hot mess and everybody is wearing that ugly peacock rooster hair style (27 peice weave)......I dont know what the fascination is with this style but almost everywoman here is practically bald because of it /images/graemlins/nono.gif

webby

Think Slim
[ QUOTE ]
Ayeshia said:
DO NOT go to buffalo if you want to see women with long hair. weaves are a hot mess and everybody is wearing that ugly peacock rooster hair style (27 peice weave)......I dont know what the fascination is with this style but almost everywoman here is practically bald because of it /images/graemlins/nono.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

Divastate

I'm from Texas and there wasn't a terribly high number of black women with long hair I noticed until I went to college. I had lots of friends from Louisiana(or with family roots in Louisiana) that had exceptionally long hair of all hair types. The weird thing is whenever I've visited actual Louisiana I can't say I notice as many black women with long hair.

stryed

I think the existence of this board is a testament to the fact that the majority of black women do not have long hair.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
i dont think anyone is questioning whether blk women CAN grow long hair or the fact that there are blk women with long hair. however, i think if you randomly selected 1000 blk women, most would have shoulder length or above.

someone please tell me why people give their hair success to dominicans? there may be plenty in NYC, but thats obviously the largest city in the country, so natually there would be more dominican salons. there are plenty of dominicans in philly, but from the people ive talked to they dont like them. the dominicans use a lot of heat, and from what i understand, its their prices and their high heat that straightens hair so well that keeps people coming back. so what is it so special that they do differently from blk stylists so much so that people would be attributing their growth to dominicans?

just curious.

MizAvalon

[ QUOTE ]
stryed said:
I think the existence of this board is a testament to the fact that the majority of black women do not have long hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. However, my opinion on what long hair is differs from most people here. Bra-strap hair which I consider medium, not long, is not that uncommon to me and I saw it quite regularly growing up. Now, a black woman with classic princess hair, what I consider long, is definitely rare. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever seen that in real life before.

sengschick

The Bun Master
[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
I've been in the DC area since I was 12 and the Dominican Doobie is a new development to me. I first heard about it from my FMIL because she's from Jersey and she was telling me about the "Doobie shops" in Jers. Then I came to the board and found out about the ones in the DC area and then told her about the local DC ones and now she, her daughter, and I go to them.

When I was in middle/high school there were a few girls with long (bra-strap) hair(10%), about 30% w/ shoulder length hair and a lil beyond, but most had hair above shoulder length. The black salons that I frequented used a lot of heat and even when I started getting rollerwraps at those salons they always still pulled out the marcel curling iron after they rolled and wrapped your hair /images/graemlins/nono.gif

[ QUOTE ]
sengschick said:
I understand that the doobie is a regular process used in the DC area as well. It's foreign in these parts, heat, heat, heat, chop, chop, chop... that's our norm /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the reason I gave DC this credit is b/c a friend of mine that was born and raised there moved to MI for grad school. She went to a few stylists and was alarmed by the amount of heat they used. She said in DC that she only had doobies (a term I'd NEVER heard before LHCF) done when she went to salons. And she's one of those ppl that never does her own hair. She doesn't even own shampoo, so her complete hair care was managed by a salon and she has hair that is long and healthy. It's armpit length, but has been longer (a few inches from brastrap). Anyway her negative experiences here in salons led her to cut her hair and start over from chin length.

But I must agree natural hair of length in DC isn't wide spread, but I thought the use of less heat might be more of an established norm. I of course defer to your knowledge as a resident of the area. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dreemssold

[ QUOTE ]
honeydrop215 said:
i dont think anyone is questioning whether blk women CAN grow long hair or the fact that there are blk women with long hair. however, i think if you randomly selected 1000 blk women, most would have shoulder length or above.

someone please tell me why people give their hair success to dominicans? there may be plenty in NYC, but thats obviously the largest city in the country, so natually there would be more dominican salons. there are plenty of dominicans in philly, but from the people ive talked to they dont like them. the dominicans use a lot of heat, and from what i understand, its their prices and their high heat that straightens hair so well that keeps people coming back. so what is it so special that they do differently from blk stylists so much so that people would be attributing their growth to dominicans?

just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I lived in KY, I found Black stylists who did all the same things the Dominicans do(except the second blowing out) and this was in the early to mid 90s, before I even knew about Dominican salons, so I think that healthy hair care is NOT something that can be attributed solely to Dominican salons; however, I do think they are generally lower priced and are more likely to be consistent with their healthy hair practices. I would be confident walking into almost any Dominican salon that my hair would be treated right...I would not have this confidence going into almost any Black salon.

My friends in Philly go to Nuevo Estilo (as do I when I'm home) and can't get enough, so it's really just an individual preference. That said, I think the heat used their is different, because there are no irons. Those blow dryers are hella hot, but still not as hot as the flat iron or curling iron in the average Black salon. Furthermore, the majority of the heat in a Dominican salon is not direct heat.

I don't attribute my growth to them, because they are not who taught me what works for my hair, but I can see how many would. They don't try to relax, cut, and trim (yeah, ok, sure 3" is a trim /images/graemlins/grin.gif) your hair when you don't want one. Often that lanuage barrier is a wonderful thing...they are not telling you it's time for a trim or a relaxer, even when it is /images/graemlins/look.gif. IMO, many of the products used are better, in addition to the methods. That is why I think people give them the big ups for their hair.

dannie

I saw a black girl w/ waist length hair at whole foods once. She was a 4a/b and she said she pressed and washed her hair once a month. It was super pretty.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
thanks dream, btw, do you know if neuvo estillo speak english? i heard that they dont which is why i never went

webby

Think Slim
[ QUOTE ]
honeydrop215 said:

just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only give my testimony...please don't take it to be gospel. My hair was very long when I was a child, but after I started getting it relaxed when I was a teen at black salons, I never regained even remotely close, the length that I had. It was never a question as to whether I could grow long hair, but it became apparent that something was not being done correctly.

After switching to Dominican salons, not only did my hair grow, but there was no burning smell, there was no need for a curling iron, there was no need to fry my hair. There is no more heat used in a Dominican salon that it used in a black salon, but it’s the method in which it’s applied. Some of the black salons that my friends and I had gone to used the oven, for the hot curlers…there was no way to control how hot the instruments got and then they would put that thing directly on your hair…I can smell the odor of burning hair now.

Ultimately, I learned how to take care of my own hair by going to Dominican salons. This may not be EVERYONE’s story, it’s just mine.

Cinnabuns

I feel ya'll. I too beleive that women of all colors and nationalities can grow long hair.

However, over here in some parts of LA many black people believe that if you're light-skinned with long hair than it's your real hair, but if you're complection is darker and you're hair is long than it's a weave.

This truly amazes me./images/graemlins/confused.gif

MonaLisa

[ QUOTE ]
honeydrop215 said:

just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...well, I can only speak for myself..I think with the hair knowledge that I have gained to be able to take care of my hair on it's own in conjunction with going to a Dominican salon (I guess it helps I live in a predominately Dominican area,huh?) have helped me with the health of my hair and retaining length.

I have a Dominican stylist who is a sweetie, who makes suggestions and also LISTENS, she isn't a SHS, and she's big on conditioning. Dominicans will make use of Dominican products as well, although they don't work for everyone, they have always pretty much benefitted MY hair...lol..
my hair is a lil past the top of my shoulderblades and I be feelin bald headed sometimes when I go to the shop.

I'll sit there and look...and be like...one day..and that includes the AA's in the shop getting done. Even shorter hair women, their hair looks good.

When I've been to the AA...to actually have something done other than a weave...it was entirely too much direct heat being used...I can see now the difference in my hair.

It's nice not to have fried up ends. And how u gonna have somebody under the dryer...then you gonna blow dry the hair again...THEN use an oven as well...I'm still mad I let that happen, I shoulda just left.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Sometimes I think that black people from Dominica, Brazil etc have nicer hair because southern Europeans (who they are mixed with) have much nicer hair than people from Scandinavia/Britain/Germany etc. They generally have thicker, stronger hair.

But - I do believe that with the right regimen everyone can grow their hair long.

SandySea

I love this thread. I have always wondered about regional differences in hair health and length. I lived in Miami, FL up until 8/03. In my neck of the woods at least, a black woman with long hair (doesn't even have to be bra strap length) was a head turner. I had people tell me that my hair was long at just a few inches below shoulder length. That just goes to show what the norm was. In my high school, so many of the girls had chewed up hair from the hair styles that they would sport. Even in college, most of the long haired girls were from up north. Long hair, at least in my part of town, was rare. Now I live in Tampa, FL. I see a few more lengthy heads of hair, but still nothing near what you NY ladies are describing. It's time for a hair revolution down here! /images/graemlins/assimilate.gif

keylargo

[ QUOTE ]
SandySea said:
I love this thread. I have always wondered about regional differences in hair health and length. I lived in Miami, FL up until 8/03. In my neck of the woods at least, a black woman with long hair (doesn't even have to be bra strap length) was a head turner. I had people tell me that my hair was long at just a few inches below shoulder length. That just goes to show what the norm was. In my high school, so many of the girls had chewed up hair from the hair styles that they would sport. Even in college, most of the long haired girls were from up north. Long hair, at least in my part of town, was rare. Now I live in Tampa, FL. I see a few more lengthy heads of hair, but still nothing near what you NY ladies are describing. It's time for a hair revolution down here! /images/graemlins/assimilate.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi neighbor! I live in Tampa too. We may know each other /images/graemlins/sekret.gif
Anyways, I've lived in Tampa FL all of my life .I have not seen many AA women with long hair unless they had 2c or 3b hairtype. I am happy to say that I'm seeing more and more AA women wearing buns. There are still lots of weaves and crazy hairstyles. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I've had terrible experiences in salons and do my own hair now. In highschool, it was all about the cute haircut too.

SandySea

Hey Keylargo! Nice to have a neighbor on the board. I agree with you about the hair situation in Tampa. When I look around in church (the perfect place to observe hair at its best) I hardly see any real hair. What I do see is not long and usually not healthy. Well, we can be the exceptions (I'm not there yet though).

Carlie

[ QUOTE ]
honeydrop215 said:

just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in NY and my hair growth has absolutely nothing to do with dominican salons...and I don't drink the water here either. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Xerxes

LOL!!

Well, it's about time! /images/graemlins/clap.gif Now I'm wondering if my old relaxed hair turned any heads! And how come I never went to a Dominican salon? LMAO /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sridevi

This link has some interesting info about hair types and growth.

An Intro to hair

Rate of growth

Normal Caucasian hair growth rate is 1-2 cm per month. Researchers have shown that this rate of growth may reduce beyond the length of approx. 27cm. Afro-Caribbean hair growth rate is approximately half that of Caucasian, and due to the fragility of their multi-helixal structure, rarely attain great length. Asian hair-shafts grow rapidly exceeding the average for Caucasians and may attain great length.

dreemssold

[ QUOTE ]
honeydrop215 said:
thanks dream, btw, do you know if neuvo estillo speak english? i heard that they dont which is why i never went

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome. LOL...they really don't, but a couple times I've been in there, there has been a dominincana who, I think is someone's daughter or niece, and she translates. Plus, they understand enough to know what you want done, and are pretty friendly.

Xerxes

[ QUOTE ]
Sridevi said:
This link has some interesting info about hair types and growth.

An Intro to hair

Rate of growth

Normal Caucasian hair growth rate is 1-2 cm per month. Researchers have shown that this rate of growth may reduce beyond the length of approx. 27cm. Afro-Caribbean hair growth rate is approximately half that of Caucasian, and due to the fragility of their multi-helixal structure, rarely attain great length. Asian hair-shafts grow rapidly exceeding the average for Caucasians and may attain great length.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't give too much credence to that website at all. African Americans with natural 4b type hair like my own typically can grow waist length dreads with little to no incident. Our hair may be more fragile, but our growth rate is not hindered by racial differences at all.

What causes most BW to have hair shorter than they want is firstly shrinkage of tightly coiled hair and their methods of straightening their hair which is damaging in and of itself. If we all took better care of our hair and stopped fighting its natural texture, we'd see very few hair length disparities.

The writer of that website was incorrectly looking at hair length retention when speaking about hair growth rate. The two are related, but not dependent on one another. For example, my hair could grow 2 inches a month naturally, but if I use harsh chemicals and heat styling methods, then I may have no hair at the end of a month to prove how quickly my hair grows.

It's just like your metabolism. Just because a person is fat doesn't mean their metabolism is slow, the person could just eat so much that their rate of burning calories can't keep up with their eating habits. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MonaLisa

[ QUOTE ]
Carlie said:
I live in NY and my hair growth has absolutely nothing to do with dominican salons...and I don't drink the water here either. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Carlie...ur superhairgrowin girl...some of us need help out here! LOL...and for the record...I don't drink the water neigher...thank gawd for Poland Spring... /images/graemlins/guiness.gif