Black Women Don't Have Long Hair Vent

Country gal

A very ignorant co-worker told me tonight that a coworker's son likes white women. She says he likes white women becasue he likes long hair. She says black women don't have long hair. She says that explains why he doesn't like black women. The boy's mother is black with long hair. I told her I know plenty of black women with long hair.

Blossssom

So the son is half white/half black?

Well, you know, it's come to me that people have different interpretations of what is LONG!

What's long to me or you, when it comes to being on a white woman's head, it's short.

The son would be better off being attracted to women with long hair, opposed to not being attracted to black women because they don't have long hair.

As you pointed out, black women do have long hair.

Cinnabuns

Why do people say this? Maybe it's because they really don't know about LHCF. ;)

BTW, I love the comment that you made to her, I think you handled the situation well. :)

Country gal

Blossssom said:
So the son is half white/half black?

Well, you know, it's come to me that people have different interpretations of what is LONG!

What's long to me or you, when it comes to being on a white woman's head, it's short.

The son would be better off being attracted to women with long hair, opposed to not being attracted to black women because they don't have long hair.

As you pointed out, black women do have long hair.

The son is black. I told my coworker it is a learned behavior that he is only interested in white women. He is only friendly with the white women in the office. He only talks to me becasue he likes my son.

Blossssom

Country gal said:
The son is black. I told my coworker it is a learned behavior that he is only interested in white women. He is only friendly with the white women in the office. He only talks to me becasue he likes my son.

Yes, it is a learned behavior and it sounds like he suffers from some other issues, too.

No need to answer this, unless you want to, but just something to think about: do all the white women have long hair in the office? If not, does he talk to them?

If he does, he has a much deeper issue than just that about black women not having long hair.

Country gal

Cinnabuns said:
Why do people say this? Maybe it's because they really don't know about LHCF. ;)

BTW, I love the comment that you made to her, I think you handled the situation well. :)

She is one of these know it all women. We went to the same stylist. The stylist told her my hair was damaged (too much pressing). She told my coworker her hair was healthy. So I couldn't tell her nothing about hair. Now who does she come too for advice on natural hair. She wants to know what I am using in my hair. Why doesn't her hair wave up like mine? I tried to tell her about pressing too much. She thinks the only way to trim her hair is to press it. She is natural too.

Country gal

Blossssom said:
Yes, it is a learned behavior and it sounds like he suffers from some other issues, too.

No need to answer this, unless you want to, but just something to think about: do all the white women have long hair in the office? If not, does he talk to them?

If he does, he has a much deeper issue than just that about black women not having long hair.

In my opinion, he likes young, skinny white women. The women at work he falls all over fit that stereotype. One of them at bob length hair.

Blossssom

Country gal said:
She is one of these know it all women. We went to the same stylist. The stylist told her my hair was damaged (too much pressing). She told my coworker her hair was healthy. So I couldn't tell her nothing about hair. Now who does she come too for advice on natural hair. She wants to know what I am using in my hair. Why doesn't her hair wave up like mine? I tried to tell her about pressing too much. She thinks the only way to trim her hair is to press it. She is natural too.

Slightly off topic, but how do you trim natural hair? When I wore my hair semi-natural, I never trimmed it because I didn't know how or if I even needed to.

Country gal

locabouthair said:
that one of the dumbmest things I have heard of. just tell her to come to this site and she'll be surprised.

Oh hell to the no (*in my best Whitney voice). She is too negative. I can't have her coming up in here.

Country gal

Blossssom said:
Slightly off topic, but how do you trim natural hair? When I wore my hair semi-natural, I never trimmed it because I didn't know how or if I even needed to.

I only trimmed it once since being natural. I left it up to a professional. I feel it needs to be trimmed again because my twists are uneven. Some strands lap over when I do the two strand twists. My cousin told me I shouldn't trim yet because it is too soon.

Last edited:

Blossssom

Country gal said:
In my opinion, he likes young, skinny white women. The women at work he falls all over fit that stereotype. One of them at bob length hair.

So basically it's a white thing. The white woman could be BALD, and he would still want her.

To each his own, but he needs to stop believing (and spreading) the hype that black women can't have their own long hair and perhaps using that as an excuse not to like them.

That's just dumb! If you like white women, just like 'em!

Blossssom

Country gal said:
I only trimmed it once since being natural. I left it up to a professional. I feel it needs to be trimmed again because my twists are even. Some strands lap over when I do the two strand twists. My cousin told me I shouldn't trim yet because it is too soon.

Oh, I see... I never trimmed my hair because it was more of an "afro" look.

So I can see why you would trim your ends and how you can because of how you style it. I'll have to remember this if I decide to go somewhat natural again.

miss_brown

Country gal said:
Oh hell to the no (*in my best Whitney voice). She is too negative. I can't have her coming up in here.

:lachen: You're crazy. I can't believe a black woman with long hair really believes that her son likes white women because black women don't have long hair. Talk about oxymoronic. :rolleyes:

Country gal

Blossssom said:
So basically it's a white thing. The white woman could be BALD, and he would still want her.

To each his own, but he needs to stop believing (and spreading) the hype that black women can't have their own long hair and perhaps using that as an excuse not to like them.

That's just dumb! If you like white women, just like 'em!

This is a little boy. My coworker is a 40 something woman. Also, I used my son as an example. My son doesn't seem to have a preference for hair type, skin color or body type. He does like pretty women. I guess he and I have the same definition of pretty. The women he gravitates too don't seem unattractive to me.

Blossssom

Country gal said:
This is a little boy. My coworker is a 40 something woman. Also, I used my son as an example. My son doesn't seem to have a preference for hair type, skin color or body type. He does like pretty women. I guess he and I have the same definition of pretty. The women he gravitates too don't seem unattractive to me.

I'm sorry, Country, I thought you were talking about a grown man...

Country gal

miss_brown said:
:lachen: You're crazy. I can't believe a black woman with long hair really believes that her son likes white women because black women don't have long hair. Talk about oxymoronic. :rolleyes:

I am confusing everybody. Co worker A believes longhaired coworker B's little boy only likes white women becasue they have long hair. I pointed out to CWa that the little boy's mother CWb has long hair and is black. She says she knows that but thinks most black women don't have long hair. Dumb ***. CWa goes on to say that CWb's boyfriend is the same way. He only likes women with long hair since he is half black and puerto rican. His son which is not by CWb feels the same way since his mother is PR.

side note- I need a new job. I work with some ignorant, George Bush loving people.

Blossssom

Country gal said:
I am confusing everybody. Co worker A believes longhaired coworker B's little boy only likes white women becasue they have long hair. I pointed out to CWa that the little boy's mother CWb has long hair and is black. She says she knows that but thinks most black women don't have long hair. Dumb ***. CWa goes on to say that CWb's boyfriend is the same way. He only likes women with long hair since he is half black and puerto rican. His son which is not by CWb feels the same way since his mother is PR.

side note- I need a new job. I work with some ignorant, George Bush loving people.

Thanks for clearing all that up! LOL!

Well, sounds to me like CWB's boyfriend is sane. He likes women with long hair. Black, white, whatever...

The little boy, once he grows up and matures, HOPEFULLY will take after the boyfriend :)

MizAvalon

Country gal said:

I hate to be the wet blanket in the thread, but it *is* true that most black women don't have long hair. :look:

Country gal

MizAvalon said:
How long is this woman's hair?

CWa has natural 4b hair. Her hair is probably short bob length when stretched. She is considering not staying natural because her hair is so nappy (her words not mine).

CWb has mid back hair not quite bra strap. My hair is natural when stretched it is shoulder length. I would say very reminiscent of Ayeshia's fro.

Country gal

MizAvalon said:
I hate to be the wet blanket in the thread, but it *is* true that most black women don't have long hair. :look:

I don't know about that. I don't think this board is rare. When I go to DC, I see a lot of women with long hair sans the extensions. At the last DC meeting, several members had long hair. I guess it depends on your definition of long. At one point long hair meant touching your shoulders to me. I define long hair now as bra strap. My best friends, aunts and cousins have long hair.

Blossssom

MizAvalon said:

How DARE you! LOL!

Yea, that is true... *sniff*

But I think once he really looks and sees that his mother's hair is long, he'll realize long hair and black women is not as unusual as it would seem.

I know many ladies here have long hair, but I can't remember the last time I saw a black woman with hair past just beneath the shoulders.

It's not a common sighting, which is why it causes such a STIR when you see someone.

Country gal

Blos, Miza:

How do we know that to be true? My girlfriend may be around people that don't take care of their hair. This board is living proof that with proper care and good routines our hair can grow.

Blossssom

Country gal said:
Blos, Miza:

How do we know that to be true? My girlfriend may be around people that don't take care of their hair. This board is living proof that with proper care and good routines our hair can grow.

Yes, this BOARD is living proof, but we just don't see long haired black women on a regular basis.

I'm surrounded by black women who don't take care of their hair. Half the time, they are 6 months post-relaxer, and the other half wear raggedy weaves or braids.

I hardly ever see a black woman with nice hair, much less long hair. Although, I did see a woman yesterday when I dropped my niece off for a party at her friend's house.

The friend's mother had beautiful hair, but it wasn't long. It was thick, shiny, black and most of all HEALTHY!

MizAvalon

Country gal said:
Blos, Miza:

Of course we all know that our hair can grow with proper care, most of us are living proof of that.

But like Bloss said, it's not a common thing to see a black woman with long hair. If it was there wouldn't be a gazillion posts on here of the 'Is that your real hair' variety. Folks are pretty surprised when they see the real deal.

Now of course I don't know all the black women in the world, but do we really think that 75-80%(most) of them have long hair?

Honestly I wish they did. How awesome would it to be to see so many of our sista's 'swingalicious' like that? :lol:

Cheleigh

Country gal said:
A very ignorant co-worker told me tonight that a coworker's son likes white women. She says he likes white women becasue he likes long hair. She says black women don't have long hair. She says that explains why he doesn't like black women. The boy's mother is black with long hair. I told her I know plenty of black women with long hair.

Her son likes white women because he likes white women.

Blossssom

MizAvalon said:
Honestly I wish they did. How awesome would it to be to see so many of our sista's 'swingalicious' like that? :lol:

Humpf! Okay! I'd LOVE IT! :)

People go almost nuts when they see a black woman with long hair.

I had an acquaintance once who had very long hair. Not only was it waist-length, it was FULL! It wasn't like her longest strand of hair was to her waist. It came from the crown of her head. It was truly waist-length.

She would go to the shop and have it done every 2 weeks. I started making my appts. the same DAY, just so I could be there when the stylist washed it and combed it out.

It was a f**king treat! Everybody in the shop would just sit there mesmerized, unable to move their eyes as the stylist combed this woman's hair. It was amazing! You would have thought God was getting his hair done! LOL! :)

MizAvalon

Blossssom said:
Humpf! Okay! I'd LOVE IT! :)

People go almost nuts when they see a black woman with long hair.

I had an acquaintance once who had very long hair. Not only was it waist-length, it was FULL! It wasn't like her longest strand of hair was to her waist. It came from the crown of her head. It was truly waist-length.

She would go to the shop and have it done every 2 weeks. I started making my appts. the same DAY, just so I could be there when the stylist washed it and combed it out.

It was a f**king treat! Everybody in the shop would just sit there mesmerized, unable to move their eyes as the stylist combed this woman's hair. It was amazing! You would have thought God was getting his hair done! LOL! :)

WOW!! :shocked: I would love to see a sister like that! Heck, I hope to BE that sister before too long. :lol: