Black Women Express Outrage Over New "tone Deaf," "white-washed" Sheamoisture Ad

Enyo

I think they didn't do it because white women would not want to use any product that is associated with nappy hair. Exoticals with loosely curled hair are acceptable.
Quoting myself because I'm confused. The Facebook page shows a very inclusive commercial posted on 9/15 that makes me take back this statement. Why on Earth did they need this new one?? The one from September was great!

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
i don't use anything shea moisture but i'm also not offended by the add. I don't care who products are marketed to for as long as they work for me.
it's not like i can go to Target and find products specifically for my racial mixture anyway :lol:. I'm not a fan of "natural" hair brands anyway. I can't use anything super heavy. I prefer more processed products with hydrolyzed proteins etc.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
My issue with this commercial is that white people, especially white women, dont need to be marketed to. They expect everything to work for them and would have tried it anyway. Now look at what Shea Moisture has done :lol:
Seen this with my two eyeballs at another hair forum; they believe "hair is just hair." All SheaMoisture had to do was throw in a few whites/non-whites/biracials among variations of type 4s. Why is this so difficult to understand?

brg240

They digging their own grave now huh.
Right

Let me leave a few choice words on their fb page about this tweet. Which bothers me slightly more than the ad.

Anyway, if they want to be inclusive. Why are there 3 white women with type 2 hair and 1 black woman with 3b hair? I don't see any Asian/Hispanic/NA women. So what their saying doesn't ring true to me.

It is nothing to me to boycott a brand tbh.

Southernbella.

And, as far as I know there has been a constant barrage of comments exhorting people to not support Asian BSS and Nail Salons on this board. So, my guess is that the same people doing that are perfectly capable of multitasking and supporting a boycott of Shea Moisture. They'd better be happy I've already used the conditioner I bought Saturday, because their tweet to that twit posted up-thread has gotten them on my permanent :censored: list! :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

Now, can somebody please recommend a good sulfate free moisturizer and conditioner to use on 3b/3c hair???

Capture+_2017-04-24-22-32-19-1.png

I've supported this company since she first started. My first purchase was jojoba oil. EBW and SM make my two holy grail conditioners but I guess I'm fully EBW now.

I use their moisturizing shanpoo, tea tree clarifying shampoo, and jojoba manoi deep conditioner.

IronButterfly

It's hard for me to take a black woman's outrage over Sheamoisture seriously while they're wearing a head full of asian-supplied hair as they sport gear from LL Bean and New Balance while standing in a Walmart drinking a coke. That was my point.
Right!!! lol Folks want to "boycott" SM, but ain't nooobodddy gonna boycott Siu Lee and them for monopolizing the fake hair industry. Nope. lol

Brwnbeauti

View attachment 396491

I've supported this company since she first started. My first purchase was jojoba oil. EBW and SM make my two holy grail conditioners but I guess I'm fully EBW now.

I use their moisturizing shanpoo, tea tree clarifying shampoo, and jojoba manoi deep conditioner.
I love their coconut Shea leave in, edge control and their deep conditioner. Way better quality than Shea Moisture

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
My only issue with the ad is that they used our struggle to express a message through people who are not part of the struggle.

In regards to the "ethnic" girl, I've never seen hate towards her hair regardless to the level of melanin. For the blond and redhead.... I still want to believe that was an episode of the twilight zone.

I know yt people that use and love SM. However, the products they are using are not the ones being placed in their aisle or made specifically for them.

ElegantPearl17

So.. I saw two different commercials. One with a short blonde and a black YTuber I follow with 4b/4c hair (I think her name is Janelle) and then the other one with the red head girl. I think they wanted to branch out to make more money, but in this Trump climate it was a bad marketing move just like the Coke commercial. Not sure about boycotting them since I just found the body scrub and body washes this past year and they are A+ in my book. Hair products are trash.

andromeda

No one is saying that they shouldn't try to get wypipo's money. Get all the money. But they are using a distinctly black experience to sell these products to white women without using black women in the ad. Wen, Pantene and a bunch of other companies manage to sell products to black women and white women without doing that.
I think it's fine to market to white women and have them in your commercials but the theme of the commercial was 'hair hate is real' so the white women were out of place IMO. They didnt even have a jew fro in there or a nappy haired Arab or Jew or Italian, just 2 straight haired white women talking about hair hate- so odd. Just ironic because kinky hair is the most hated and they have a huge kinky hair fan base so they royally screwed this up IMO. Honestly, if they took out the "hair hate" theme the commercial would be fine.
This bears repeating. The dynamics here are immensely different than, say, a black-owned co that sells socks and wants to sell to everyone, or even a BO hair product company that has never targeted a particular black segment or used race/culture-based appeals in its marketing (e.g. Briogeo).

Notice how their "apology" never once even acknowledged "black women" yet they have the unmitigated gall to thank a prolific bw hater for a condescending tweet clearly directed at bw?

I have no problem with them expanding their base or really even the bain investment. But the way they're going about it - this is race peddling (to quote @larry3344 ) in one of the most slimy ways. They're done.

chebaby

So, black women only buy from black owned companies when it comes to hair care? Last time I checked, VO-5, White Rain, Joico, Redken, Yes to Carrots, Herbal Essence, etc were not black owned and most of the time do not feature highly textured hair as a selling point. Yet plenty of black women use products from those companies. Did Sheamoisture ever promise they were just for black women and no one else? Sheamoisture is a company and, like most successful companies, they expand and sell to the highest bidder.

Oh welp. Every morning I get out of bed and see myself. Nope. Not erased.
the difference is how long has it been since we even had a choice?
it wasn't long ago we couldn't walk in a store and purchase products for our natural hair. black women start buying from small black women owned online companies. big white companys figure out and say we want a part of the pie lets get them in cvs and target. oh and don't forget to get these other companies that don't give a damn about black hair to come out with "curly" hair commercials and products.
black women finally get stuff for us and buy us and then its like oh this was never ONLY for you.

I been saw this coming when they started coming out with 50 11 new products.

carols daughter did the same thing and black people chose to forget about her. she went from brown natural product lable to lilly lavender scented bottle to be sold in Macy's. more than a year ago I went to her website and who is front and center. a red head curl white chick. with WAND CURLS. not even real curls.

man whatever.

white people make products for white people and don't care about black people buying it.
black people make products for black people with hopes that they can one day leave us behind. cant do **** right. cant even be "all inclusive" without offending your core audience.

AnjelLuvs

Are you sure it was only black women who got them where they are because I've seen a LOT of black women (self included) complain about how their products sucked and didn't work on their hair. Also, I know a LOT of white women bought Sheamoisture for their little mixed babies' hair.

Let me ask you this, did Sheamoisture, at any time, advertise their products exclusively for black women? I mean, did they in any way, demonstrate that black women were their core audience, or is this simply an assumption made by those who have bought the products because they worked well with their hair? I mean, who actually established who this "core" base is? Officially.

Because if you know how businesses run, then you don't take expansion personally.
Listen, I do not even use products, jus playing devils's advocate! #NoCaresBoutDisLine #Prices2darnHigh

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
1. Marketing fail.

2. I see white folk buy Shea Moisture.

3. The hi-po masque, superfruit masque, that new purple label masque, manuka honey conditioner and body scrub, the light green label body scrub, and the coconut and hibiscus line hair and body line stay in rotation.

ETA. 4. Mitt Romney does not own them.

In the YT vid shared it says he has shares.

Nonetheless, I shant support. I only liked their bodywash. Bye to them! Forever!

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
LINK

Love of Our Community

The New General Market

New General Market – noun: an amalgamation of cultures, ethnicities and demographics aligned against commonalities, need states and lifestyles

Numerous studies have been conducted to indicate how differently America will look in the future. However, the U.S. isn’t on the brink of change. It has indeed changed well beyond demographics, and the cultural shift that we are witnessing will continue as a defining – and beautiful – part of the landscape and future of this nation.

What does this mean for the beauty industry? We believe that as manufacturers and brands, we have an extraordinary opportunity to shift how we approach and serve all of our consumers, and as a result, reshape the beauty landscape from one of standardized ideals to one of inclusive representations.

At Sundial, we transformed our General Market approach to a New General Market journey more than two decades ago, first using this term to describe our community of consumers more than 10 years ago. We recognized early with our SheaMoisture and Nubian Heritage brands that little value existed – for our global community, our business and our industry – to operate within the constructs, and constraints, of traditional segmentation and the narrow labeling that often results.

So, we defined the New General Market as “an amalgamation of cultures, ethnicities and demographics aligned against commonalities, need states and lifestyles.” For us, the most important part of this definition is commonalities. It is not a segmentation approach; it is an approach of inclusion. Indeed, it is a multi-need strategy in which the differences within populations and the similarities across populations are simultaneously acknowledged and understood.

It is an opportunity to think differently about strategies for new and better solutions for how we all serve our consumers – not just a few or the largest segment, but all of them. We all share very common needs, and when we begin to focus on what they are, we are able to identify connection points among people, rather than differences between them. Also, as retailers and brands, we can begin to serve consumers in a much more meaningful and relevant way across product development, merchandising and marketing.

Today, our New General Market consumers engage with us to share stories of their unique needs, incubate product innovation and collaborate on our collective aspirations to live better, healthier, longer and more purposeful lives.

We hope you’ll join us on the journey.