Black Women Express Outrage Over New "tone Deaf," "white-washed" Sheamoisture Ad

MilkChocolateOne

You know it's interesting, mahogany curls is a brand ambassador for them on YouTube and they could've included her in the commercial..she's a beautiful dark skin woman with kinky curls, well versed in natural hair are but instead they only went with ambiguous black for the tv commercial. Just vile!!!

I wonder how she feels.

She's probably okay with it. She's on the inclusion band wagon and she still receives free products, sponsored ad revenue and youtube checks.

HappilyLiberal

It's hard for me to take a black woman's outrage over Sheamoisture seriously while they're wearing a head full of asian-supplied hair as they sport gear from LL Bean and New Balance while standing in a Walmart drinking a coke. That was my point.

But the people doing that are not the same folks protesting Shea Moisture. Do I wish more black women were woke--absolutely! Do I think the women protesting this mess are also protesting all those other affronts as well--absolutely!

Goombay_Summer

The 2 products that I used from them is their 100% Raw Shea butter and the African black soap. I shouldn't have a problem finding comparable replacement products. I never got around to using their hair products although I was somewhat interested in trying their low porosity line.

IronButterfly

man whatever.

white people make products for white people and don't care about black people buying it.
black people make products for black people with hopes that they can one day leave us behind. cant do **** right. cant even be "all inclusive" without offending your core audience
In the immortal words of Jade from ANTM cycle whatever: "This says America's Next Top Model. Not America's Next Top Friend!" lol

In other words: Dis' is Business 101.

I agree with what you said in bold 150%. Which is why I believe that Black women would do themselves a great favor if they'd stop "be-friending" every black owned company thinking they are going to get something in return other than products for their dollars. I, personally, never take anything referring to any struggle (be it "Africa" or "community" or "special needs", etc) seriously because I know it's a marketing ploy. If I like it, I buy it. If I don't, I keep it moving.

I don't think there ever existed a business willing to forgoe expansion (and money) to cater to a small demographic. And once that business is sold, those who control the reins control the marketing.

Not only that, but I have witnessed black women tearing down black businesses because suddenly they didn't like somebody's attitude. So much for solidarity!

When one continues to seek out others to validate their self-worth, they will always be dissastisfied.

oneastrocurlie

In the YT vid shared it says he has shares.

Nonetheless, I shant support. I only liked their bodywash. Bye to them! Forever!

I dig it. They messed up. Not ready to ditch them. I like a lot of their hair and body products.

People buy things all day long that fund horrible ideologies and individuals and people don't even realize it or care.

Not about to burn SM at the stake if I ain't burning eevveeryybody else along with them.

oneastrocurlie

Outside of 4 white women working in the marketing department what does this show?

How many white women work in the marketing department of Saks, Nike, Nordstrom's, Harpo, and Target?

People recommended As I Am and it's not even black owned lol.

ETA. People have a right to no longer buy something. It's the sometimey-ness that's very interesting to me.

Last edited:

HappilyLiberal

In the immortal words of Jade from ANTM cycle whatever: "This says America's Next Top Model. Not America's Next Top Friend!" lol

In other words: Dis' is Business 101.

I agree with what you said in bold 150%. Which is why I believe that Black women would do themselves a great favor if they'd stop "be-friending" every black owned company thinking they are going to get something in return other than products for their dollars. I, personally, never take anything referring to any struggle (be it "Africa" or "community" or "special needs", etc) seriously because I know it's a marketing ploy. If I like it, I buy it. If I don't, I keep it moving.

I don't think there ever existed a business willing to forgoe expansion (and money) to cater to a small demographic. And once that business is sold, those who control the reins control the marketing.

Not only that, but I have witnessed black women tearing down black businesses because suddenly they didn't like somebody's attitude. So much for solidarity!

When one continues to seek out others to validate their self-worth, they will always be dissastisfied.

And they are about to learn that it's bad business to PO your base!!!

BTW, the Shea Moisture Facebook page is now down! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
So wait... the SM owners are black men (plus Romney)? And they screwed over a black woman theater owner (basically use her historical theater as collateral) to boost their growing hair and skin care company ... then trash their black woman customer base in favor of a white woman customer base?

L.O.mfing.L

Nothing new here... smh :nono:
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/02/01/arts/design/01harlem.html

I just read this article. The owners screwed over a Black theater in Harlem! They used it to get loans to finance their own business on the side. Hustlers! Sheisty! Folks should never buy their products after reading this article.

AnjelLuvs

So wait... the SM owners are black men (plus Romney)? And they screwed over a black woman theater owner (basically use her historical theater as collateral) to boost their growing hair and skin care company ... then trash their black woman customer base in favor of a white woman customer base?

L.O.mfing.L

Nothing new here... smh :nono:
Wait I didnt know Shea Moisture was Nubian Heritage, Love love loved their products... I heard about this story in real time, it was more to stor but in jest yea they didnt hold up end of bargain!!!

aquajoyice

This throws their sorry little apology out the window. At this point they're trolling to lose black women's money. Like that YT video said they don't want our black dollars. All I know is that WP aren't purchasing their products in droves no matter how many commercials they make. Real WP don't generally seek out black products.